• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience Announced (GZ + NAIN STORY + DLC) 10/11

Mediking

As long as theres only a few guys you can fight your way out in GZ. If you can fire without being spotted you can still shoot lethally. I've snuck up on tanks, planted C4, then fired rockets until it blew up from a position that i wasn't spotted from. If you're seen run away and fight from a safe distance or hide. Bottlenecking guys helps too.

Don't underestimate Grenades either. MGS grenades have and continue to be the strongest weapon in the game. TPP's grenades are so strong that it almost feels like cheating to use them. AND the best part is that you can use them and NOT get spotted. (Remember, caution phase is NOT alert phase. caution means their senses are hieghtened and they patrol differently, but Alert means they know where you are. In the other games Evasion means they think they know where you are and are going to check. Caution is not a dangerous phase and you should continue through during caution mode in all MGS games as much as you can. There is never a downside, and sometimes the patrol routes work to your advantage! (Especially if you plant a C4 on their route or clump them together and throw a grenade)

Reflex mode also makes it much easier to deal with getting spotted. As long as you incapacitate a guy before their "!" goes away you're usually fine. (Sometimes you can dive into a guy while it's up and avoid him confirming to others that he spotted you.) There's actually a massive amount of freedom to MGS games that you just don't get in other stealth action games.

Thanks for all the advice! I love Reflex Mode. It's so much tension when it randomly happens.

JackelZXA

Man on Fire, Quiet, Eli and of course the Metal Gear can be debated in terms of quality, but that's 4 boss fights not even including The Skulls

The Skulls are MUCH more doable when you fight them how they should be fought. The Sniper Unit are pretty straightforward and most people love them, but the Mist Unit and the Archaea Unit are much more doable if you use different tactics to how you fight soldiers and vehicles.

Mist Unit: Run away the first time, head into the ruins the second time and lob grenades at them or use the Honeybee. They won't follow you into the ruins but the walls they set up mean you have to leave cover to get a better angle or use attacks that go around the walls, like Grenades. It's actually a pretty tense battle if you fight them this way instead of sprinting around out in the open where you're vulnerable.

Archaea Unit: These are the guys that armor up and ruin vehicles and throw boulders. Basically, you want to bring different weapons that you probably don't use normally. Bring a Shotgun or a Grenade Launcher in your Hip Slot and bring a Machine Gun on your back. Zorn is also a good replacement for your pistol. The Archaea Unit regen armor fast and attack like crazy, so you need to use weapons that let you blast them quick while you're behind cover. The Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle/Rockets, and Pistol/SMG setup that most people would have up to this point are basically useless against these guys, which is why people hate this boss so much. If you use gear that has high damage, stopping power, AND a fast rate of fire you can manage these four much easier than you could with a regular loadout.

The bosses aren't bad, Kojima just forgot to give the player decent hints like he does in most fights. Normal tactics just DON'T cut it.

Ludens

Banned
It's astonishing how Konami refused to reply to any of the questions regarding the possibility to purchase the console DLC on PC (available only with the DE, that you can't buy on Steam if you own TPP anyway) even if there are multiple threads on the Steam community hub and messages on Twitter.

Ingram

Keen to finally jump into TPP on PC. I already own GZ and have completed the main story. Does the DE carry over anything from GZ somehow?

Also I hope the FOV mod works for the DE. Default FOV is so console.

Balboa

Got this on Xbox One and it seems to be installing TPP and GZ as two separate apps that I assume will just be bootable with the same disc, is this correct?

Was hoping for one big install with the menu option to switch games like described earlier, bit disappointing.

Got this on Xbox One and it seems to be installing TPP and GZ as two separate apps that I assume will just be bootable with the same disc, is this correct?

Was hoping for one big install with the menu option to switch games like described earlier, bit disappointing.

Could you check if Ground Zeroes is still 720p?

Ludens

Banned
https://twitter.com/popcicle/status/787000403728568320

Sorry, but is this a scam,a dumb post or what?
Because on Steam when you gift something, you gift the whole package, not the games you already own.
If you purchase something as a gift, you have no access to the gift no matter what you do.
It's impossible keeping the dlcs and gifting the games you own as wrote in this post.

It seems on Pc you have no access to console dlcs at the moment anyway:

https://twitter.com/metalgear_en/status/787108292707266560

KOMANI

KOMANI
It's astonishing how Konami refused to reply to any of the questions regarding the possibility to purchase the console DLC on PC (available only with the DE, that you can't buy on Steam if you own TPP anyway) even if there are multiple threads on the Steam community hub and messages on Twitter.
Yeah, not listing the extra DLCs on the Steam page is beyond stupid. The new edition seems to have been handled incredibly poorly for those of us who have GZ and TPP, but not all of the DLC. They didn't even patch in the option to switch between the two games if you don't buy the Definitive Edition.

Ludens

Banned
Yeah, not listing the extra DLCs on the Steam page is beyond stupid. The new edition seems to have been handled incredibly poorly for those of us who have GZ and TPP, but not all of the DLC. They didn't even patch in the option to switch between the two games if you don't buy the Definitive Edition.

The fact is, there's currently a problem on PC: people who bought the DE can't access the DLC at all (I'm talking about the console one).
Konami is "looking into it", but really, they managed to screw up a simple thing like that.
I mean, the DE doesn't even provide a page with a description for what you are buying, it's just there.

JackelZXA

The fact is, there's currently a problem on PC: people who bought the DE can't access the DLC at all (I'm talking about the console one).
Konami is "looking into it", but really, they managed to screw up a simple thing like that.
I mean, the DE doesn't even provide a page with a description for what you are buying, it's just there.

What do you mean? My physical PS4 copy just has all the DLC baked into the disc and I can use it on any account i put the disc into. Is there something wrong with the digital version or something?

Ludens

Banned
What do you mean? My physical PS4 copy just has all the DLC baked into the disc and I can use it on any account i put the disc into. Is there something wrong with the digital version or something?

Only on PC. Currently people who bought the DE can't access console DLCs on Steam, and Konami is working to "fix" the issue.

And do you know what is worse?
Apparently the only way to get the console DLCs on Steam is...to gift the game to a friend.
In fact, there's this note on the store page:

Just add this game to your cart. Then during checkout, choose a friend to receive your gift.

Mediking

Just beat the destroy Aircraft things in GZ mission. Man, was that tough. I was over thinking it and realized that you can't sneak all the time.

Just beat the destroy Aircraft things in GZ mission. Man, was that tough. I was over thinking it and realized that you can't sneak all the time.

omg that one is insane. there is a way to s rank it by just running straight for the trucks and driving them into the AA guns, diving out before they explode. you do this three times then have to take out the tank that spawns in. it's tough but incredible when you pull it off, you feel like irl Rambo.

Balboa

Damn, that's terrible. I'm sure it wouldn't have been that hard to port the TPP improvements back to GZ...
They have just copied and pasted the data from the two discs onto one disc then thrown on the DLC, it doesn't even include the patches for TPP.

Mediking

omg that one is insane. there is a way to s rank it by just running straight for the trucks and driving them into the AA guns, diving out before they explode. you do this three times then have to take out the tank that spawns in. it's tough but incredible when you pull it off, you feel like irl Rambo.

Ohhhh.... Hahaha I tried stealth over and over and eventually gave up because I was getting nowhere. So I decided to run and gun and that was tough too. It really is best to just run and hide after firing several bullets. Hahaha.

Mediking

Finally beat GZ and started Phantom Pain. Intro was very disturbing and weird yet cool. I guess Ishamel is really me or something?

Started the Mission to save Kaz. Game is so pretty and doing things stealthy is so rewarding. But wow... the A.I adapts fast....

Sol1dus

Finally beat GZ and started Phantom Pain. Intro was very disturbing and weird yet cool. I guess Ishamel is really me or something?

Started the Mission to save Kaz. Game is so pretty and doing things stealthy is so rewarding. But wow... the A.I adapts fast....

First 3-7 hours with the game were truly amazing for me. After that it got way too repetitive.

Berksy

Just got this and having issues with connecting to game's servers.
Usually getting error 10027. Is this a known thing?

AR15mex

Thanks for the share. I have msgv and i never finished the game. I dunno why, but i wanna say the open world killed for me...

Mediking

Thanks for the share. I have msgv and i never finished the game. I dunno why, but i wanna say the open world killed for me...

Since I recently completed GZ and just started Phantom Pain for the 1st time... I can say that there is a different feel.... GZ is containted but still tense. PP is open but I still feel like danger is everywhere. My big issue is that that Snake is barely talking or showing any sort of personality so far.

Roni

Gold Member
Since I recently completed GZ and just started Phantom Pain for the 1st time... I can say that there is a different feel.... GZ is containted but still tense. PP is open but I still feel like danger is everywhere. My big issue is that that Snake is barely talking or showing any sort of personality so far.

Keep playing if you're interested in the reason for that.

Markoman

Oh, a thread with lots of love for MGSV! Let me hug y'all. 260 hours on PS4. I will get this on steam when it's on sale and play it with some of the mods that add some gameplay challenges.

Markoman

I want to buy this to finally plays MGSV, but I'm torn on giving Konami money knowing Kojima won't see a dime of it.

Bruh, please. I'm pretty sure Kojima is over it and has already dried his tears with some sweet Yen bills. You want to support him as an artist? Buy the game!

I'm so excited to meet Quiet! Hahaha you have NO idea how bad I wanna meet her.

her intro cutscene is one of the best in the series!

i've started using Rocket Punch for FOB and it is completely changing the way i play this game after 700+ hours. that thing is OP and the best.

-completely silent.
-completely invisible.
-knocks most guards out instantly.
-keeps going even after knocking someone out. line em up and knock em down, all in a row!

it's funny, the Nikita Missile in MGS1 was one of my least favorite parts of that game due to the poor controls. Rocket Punch is that concept perfected and it is glorious!

Top Bottom