• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience Announced (GZ + NAIN STORY + DLC) 10/11

So I started it again a few days ago, after finishing it a while ago on PC, deleted my saved data and started fresh.

This game is still fun as fuck, I can't stop playing, I'm hooked again. The ganeplay formula just never gets boring. It reminds me of why I used to play games when I was a kid, just pure fun.

So I started it again a few days ago, after finishing it a while ago on PC, deleted my saved data and started fresh.

This game is still fun as fuck, I can't stop playing, I'm hooked again. The ganeplay formula just never gets boring. It reminds me of why I used to play games when I was a kid, just pure fun.

Most people's experience was positive, it was just the end or lack there of, left a bad taste over all.

An7V5dl.gif

Mediking

I literally just started Ground Zeroes Game is very pretty. Sutherland sounds kinda weird yet cool and I took just a few steps and got spotted... I can already tell this is gonna be a "git gud" experience for me.

Did they make the story end well with this Definitisda;l easjk edition?

The story ends well in the original game. It actually has two endings and some extra content.

And no, it's no different in this edition.

Am I pressing something wrong? How do I punch somebody? CQC?

Press R2 a few times, without pressing any direction on the stick. Or RT if you are using an xbox controller. That's for punching.

Newk86

So no extra difficulty mode/s then? I was big fan of the hardcore mode that was added to the Red Dead Redemption GOTY edition.

I realise that Konami aren't Rockstar, but I was kind of holding out hope for something similar for these two titles in particular anyway. As is, I won't be buying this.

JackelZXA

But...Chapter 3?

I'm less bitter now that we know most of the MGSV team minus lead creatives are still at Konami making stuff. Maybe the games they make won't be any better than Peace Walker or the canceled version of Rising, but we'll probably still get fun stuff to play, and maybe we'll someday even get Rising 2.

To anyone playing TDE with fresh saves: Does it start you at Ground Zeroes or ask if you want to start on either game? When you switch from Ground Zeroes to Phantom Pain for the first time is it a seamless switch into "just another day in a battlefield without end" and "v has come to"?

Neiteio

I'd love Konami to put a team into finishing this game but a MGS3 Remaster would help also.
MGSV has two halves (GZ and TPP, like the tanker and plant chapters in MGS2), multiple endings (M31, M45, M46), and like 100x the content of MGS1-4 combined. Ch. 1 is a perfectly complete standalone tale and Ch. 2 is its epilogue. I think it's a bit ridiculous to ask for more or to say the game is somehow incomplete. Yes, at least one mission was cut and left a plot thread dangling (Eli), but beyond that we have little concrete evidence anything significant is missing. As it stands, I've put in 200+ hours into TPP alone, which is more than my combined playtime for the rest of the series.

Neiteio

It is kinda ironic how a company like Konami still managed to release one of the best games of this gen, warts and all.
MGSV is this gen's Super Mario 64, in terms of how amazing it plays relative to the standards of the times.

It's a towering gameplay achievement and a landmark for both action and stealth titles.

Moreche

After the base experience in GZ, I honestly can't believe that Kojima didn't want something like that in TPP.
I can remember an article stating how impressed he was with GTA5 so I imagine that he took some inspiration for TPP.

JackelZXA

GZ is a weird tutorial.... so serious atmosphere for a beginner like me to deal with.

The Side Ops are much lighter in tone. TPP's first couple missions are pretty serious too, but then you get let out into the open world and the tone evens out a bit. (Some think it evens out a little too much)

I do wonder, if GZ hadn't been put out first, would TPP have had the entire game stylized more like GZ? I feel like people complaining about the length of the content had an impact on the design style of the main game...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Chapter 3 ending is in the game. We'll just never see it anywhere but youtube.

Which of course was Kojima's entire point, world peace being extremely unlikely when everyone is still fighting everyone else!

It still amazes me that people expected some sort of big "obvious" ending to MGSV, given its themes of futility and disillusion.

Mediking

I kinda wish this got a OT..... and any tips for getting good as a beginner? I'm on GZ and I find myself thinking about literally every move I make.

JackelZXA

I kinda wish this got a OT..... and any tips for getting good as a beginner? I'm on GZ and I find myself thinking about literally every move I make.

Do some intentional fail runs and just practice doing something you're not good at knowing that you'll die.

farisr

Sorry I haven't been keeping up but I'm curious. Did they include everything on one disc, or did they basically repackage the existing MGSV disc and include DLC codes and what not for the rest of the content?

Mediking

Do some intentional fail runs and just practice doing something you're not good at knowing that you'll die.

Hahaha yeah. That's what I did. I tried the guns blazing way and it didn't last long. You gotta sneak and watch.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up but I'm curious. Did they include everything on one disc, or did they basically repackage the existing MGSV disc and include DLC codes and what not for the rest of the content?

Everything on ONE disc.

farisr

Hahaha yeah. That's what I did. I tried the guns blazing way and it didn't last long. You gotta sneak and watch.

Everything on ONE disc.
Cool, may pick this up when it's cheaper down the line. I may have hated what was done to the story, but that gameplay was sublime. Having everything on one disc will be nice.

Also, if that Pro patch requirement is actually in effect, a release like this may fall under it as well since it's not a simple repackaging job or dlc release.

JackelZXA

Everything on ONE disc.

Yeah after you play it long enough you'll find yourself able to do much more ridiculous stuff as you become more comfortable with the controls and actions snake can perform.

There is a menu option that switches you between the two games' title screens. I believe if you dont have any save data that you'll be asked if you want to launch GZ first, and then when you're done with the GZ stuff and want to move to TPP it'll launch right into TPP's opening cutscene "just another day in a war without end", so you can have a very seamless experience, and go back and forth to get XOF patches and unlock the bonus missions. It's kind of like popping in and out of Metal Gear Online. (I wonder if Survive will have a similar Menu option)

CumxtuaUAAApPp4.jpg

Although currently the formatting is all fucked up. I tweeted the Community Manager with this image asking for a fix.

Mediking

It took me a few tries but I felt it. That amazing feeling where you look before you move and you get rewarded. It's crazy awesome when you avoid getting detected and making people fall asleep with headshots. The A.I is really smart and can detect you so easily.

I saved all the prisoners around Chico and now I'm trying to find Paz. The tape of Chico and Paz was pretty disturbing....

JackelZXA

It took me a few tries but I felt it. That amazing feeling where you look before you move and you get rewarded. It's crazy awesome when you avoid getting detected and making people fall asleep with headshots. The A.I is really smart and can detect you so easily.

Yeah it feels great. Tagging targets is really a cool game mechanic in this. What's cool in Phantom Pain is some of the areas are big enough that you can just tag people with body shots pretty quickly in succession from a distance, and then by the time one guy falls asleep everyone else will start dropping in the time it reaches anyone to reach that body. It doesn't work everywhere, but it's the first time I've found body shots actually useful (Speed plus the weakness is lessened depending on where you are)

I saved all the prisoners around Chico and now I'm trying to find Paz. The tape of Chico and Paz was pretty disturbing....

Buddy, you don't know the half of it! (Kojima thought Ground Zeroes would be too taboo and get him thrown out of the game industry, I believe)

Did The Definitive Experience come with a Map btw? Phantom Pain has a really cool two sided map of the major areas in it and it's a cool bonus. If TDE doesnt come with it I might keep the map when I trade in my copies to Gamestop to get TDE...

Mediking

Yeah it feels great. Tagging targets is really a cool game mechanic in this. What's cool in Phantom Pain is some of the areas are big enough that you can just tag people with body shots pretty quickly in succession from a distance, and then by the time one guy falls asleep everyone else will start dropping in the time it reaches anyone to reach that body. It doesn't work everywhere, but it's the first time I've found body shots actually useful (Speed plus the weakness is lessened depending on where you are)

The moment to moment gameplay is so dang good!

Buddy, you don't know the half of it! (Kojima thought Ground Zeroes would be too taboo and get him thrown out of the game industry, I believe)

Did The Definitive Experience come with a Map btw? Phantom Pain has a really cool two sided map of the major areas in it and it's a cool bonus. If TDE doesnt come with it I might keep the map when I trade in my copies to Gamestop to get TDE...

Sadly.... the TDE doesn't come with a Map.

GZ is much more restrictive than TPP and is really built around complete stealth.

At least for TPP, starting racking up currency and upgrade your binoculars to help scan for viable recruits. Upgrade your silenced pistol (ZZZ) and use D-Dog once you recruit him to help you spot out enemies better.

Call for air drops when you need ammo. The beginning of TPP isn't too bad, although the first Skulls mission is a pain in the butt if your exit strategy isn't planned well. However, you'll find that the game really opens up after the first couple of hours or so.

Mediking

GZ is much more restrictive than TPP and is really built around complete stealth.

At least for TPP, starting racking up currency and upgrade your binoculars to help scan for viable recruits. Upgrade your silenced pistol (ZZZ) and use D-Dog once you recruit him to help you spot out enemies better.

Call for air drops when you need ammo. The beginning of TPP isn't too bad, although the first Skulls mission is a pain in the butt if your exit strategy isn't planned well. However, you'll find that the game really opens up after the first couple of hours or so.

I quickly learned that trying to fight your way in GZ is suicide. You will get outgunned and outsmarted. And thanks for the advice. I'm really grown to have fun in GZ. I'm listening to tapes and that awesome "Here's to You" song as I explore and watch enemies movements.

JackelZXA

I quickly learned that trying to fight your way in GZ is suicide. You will get outgunned and outsmarted. And thanks for the advice. I'm really grown to have fun in GZ. I'm listening to tapes and that awesome "Here's to You" song as I explore and watch enemies movements.

As long as theres only a few guys you can fight your way out in GZ. If you can fire without being spotted you can still shoot lethally. I've snuck up on tanks, planted C4, then fired rockets until it blew up from a position that i wasn't spotted from. If you're seen run away and fight from a safe distance or hide. Bottlenecking guys helps too.

Don't underestimate Grenades either. MGS grenades have and continue to be the strongest weapon in the game. TPP's grenades are so strong that it almost feels like cheating to use them. AND the best part is that you can use them and NOT get spotted. (Remember, caution phase is NOT alert phase. caution means their senses are hieghtened and they patrol differently, but Alert means they know where you are. In the other games Evasion means they think they know where you are and are going to check. Caution is not a dangerous phase and you should continue through during caution mode in all MGS games as much as you can. There is never a downside, and sometimes the patrol routes work to your advantage! (Especially if you plant a C4 on their route or clump them together and throw a grenade)

Reflex mode also makes it much easier to deal with getting spotted. As long as you incapacitate a guy before their "!" goes away you're usually fine. (Sometimes you can dive into a guy while it's up and avoid him confirming to others that he spotted you.) There's actually a massive amount of freedom to MGS games that you just don't get in other stealth action games.

synce

So it's been a year since the original came out... and Kojima still hasn't been interviewed about it? Is Konami not allowing him to mention the game or what? I have a million unanswered questions. How much content was cut? Why are there no boss fights? Why are there credits before and after every mission? etc

MGSV has two halves (GZ and TPP, like the tanker and plant chapters in MGS2), multiple endings (M31, M45, M46), and like 100x the content of MGS1-4 combined. Ch. 1 is a perfectly complete standalone tale and Ch. 2 is its epilogue. I think it's a bit ridiculous to ask for more or to say the game is somehow incomplete. Yes, at least one mission was cut and left a plot thread dangling (Eli), but beyond that we have little concrete evidence anything significant is missing. As it stands, I've put in 200+ hours into TPP alone, which is more than my combined playtime for the rest of the series.

Nailed it like a baus

So it's been a year since the original came out... and Kojima still hasn't been interviewed about it? Is Konami not allowing him to mention the game or what? I have a million unanswered questions. How much content was cut? Why are there no boss fights? Why are there credits before and after every mission? etc

Man on Fire, Quiet, Eli and of course the Metal Gear can be debated in terms of quality, but that's 4 boss fights not even including The Skulls

Kindekuma

Banned

Why? He's done a shit load of press coverage and interviews before the game released. Konami gave him the boot, and Konami addressed Chapter 3 and 51. I don't know what more you guys want about this. As far as we know, only Mission 51 was cut (Chapter 3 is reached when players reach Nuclear Disarmament). The game is as close to Hideo's vision as possible. Hideo said in very early development that the missions would be more TV like, and major story missions would play out more like movies. That's why there's opening and ending credits to each mission. Also there's several boss fights in this game. Against Quiet, Sahelanthropus, the Skulls, etc.

Let him talk about Death Stranding and other future projects, he's moved on from MGS.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Why? He's done a shit load of press coverage and interviews before the game released. Konami gave him the boot, and Konami addressed Chapter 3 and 51. I don't know what more you guys want about this. As far as we know, only Mission 51 was cut (Chapter 3 is reached when players reach Nuclear Disarmament). The game is as close toHideo's vision as possible. Hideo said in very early development that the missions would be more TV like, and major story missions would play out more like movies. That's why there's opening and ending credits to each mission. Also there's several boss fights in this game. Against Quiet, Sahelanthropus, the Skulls, etc.

Let him talk about Death Stranding and other future projects, he's moved on from MGS.
That's an opinion. You don't have an idea how close or far it was from his vision.

Top Bottom