• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain multiplayer reveal on IGN this Thursday

Re-posting from the old Gamescom thread...

ZkXd0gx.jpg

Someone on the Metal Gear subreddit figured out the entire Afghanistan map.

Explanation at the link (and in the imgur album) shows that the released MGSV world map was actually just Afghanistan morphed to be difficult to make sense of. Pretty exciting, gotta say, since it means that the game is even bigger than previously thought. The redditor who figured this out also notes that the scale seems pretty off with the map, and that the 4000m mark should be more like 8000m based off of an iDroid distance indicator.

Here is a link to the first part of his/her discoveries

Bonus image showing that the parts of the overall map that was released are actually just repeating off angle copies of other parts of the map.

Congrats to jimhouseman84 of r/metalgearsolid!

I found this thanks to The Snake Soup, which aside from having pretty toxic forum members, still is a good place for MGS news. It sucks that the forums are just so bad, since Ravi Singh and a select few of other people around there are great. A pretty good place for opinion articles on MGS stuff is META gear solid, but doesn't have any kind of community part.

Re-posting from the old Gamescom thread...

Someone on the Metal Gear subreddit figured out the entire Afghanistan map.

Explanation at the link (and in the imgur album) shows that the released MGSV world map was actually just Afghanistan morphed to be difficult to make sense of. Pretty exciting, gotta say, since it means that the game is even bigger than previously thought. The redditor who figured this out also notes that the scale seems pretty off with the map, and that the 4000m mark should be more like 8000m based off of an iDroid distance indicator.

Here is a link to the first part of his/her discoveries

Bonus image showing that the parts of the overall map that was released are actually just repeating off angle copies of other parts of the map.

Congrats to jimhouseman84 of r/metalgearsolid!

I found this thanks to The Snake Soup, which aside from having pretty toxic forum members, still is a good place for MGS news. It sucks that the forums are just so bad, since Ravi Singh and a select few of other people around there are great. A pretty good place for opinion articles on MGS stuff is META gear solid, but doesn't have any kind of community part.

interesting. i always figured that map was just an example to give people a schematic-like representation of the size of the game and not an exact map of the terrain in tpp. looks like it's a little bit if both!

Angry Fork

Expecting a hugely dumbed down version of MGO2, which will be disappointing, but hopefully they keep some of the quirky cool stuff in there.

I'm hoping that you can choose to defend motherbase as a soldier of your choosing, it would be weird to just have two Big Bosses playing cat and mouse while everyone on Motherbase just ignores the weirdness of the situation. Even more so if the rumors of allowing parties of people to all play on one Motherbase of their choosing, defending or attacking, since that would mean at least 8 Snakes hanging around...

Actually, I'm really hoping that Ishmael is covered with bandages because he is Big Boss' "buddy", who was hinted at in podcasts, as well as the most recent iDroid option "call support buddy". What I mean is, Ishmeal could be shown wearing bandages in trailers and the beginning of the actual game to allow the player to customize his face after a certain point in the story and use him as Big Boss' "right hand man" (or left hand in this case).

This doesn't really allow the option of a female Ishamel though which would suck...

interesting. i always figured that map was just an example to give people a schematic-like representation of the size of the game and not an exact map of the terrain in tpp. looks like it's a little bit if both!

Yeah, maybe the redundant portions are to mask the (likely) two other countries' actual contents while showing relative full game size. The chunk of Afghanistan is still relatively small compared to the whole rectangle so...

I'm hoping that you can choose to defend motherbase as a soldier of your choosing, it would be weird to just have two Big Bosses playing cat and mouse while everyone on Motherbase just ignores the weirdness of the situation. Even more so if the rumors of allowing parties of people to all play on one Motherbase of their choosing, defending or attacking, since that would mean at least 8 Snakes hanging around...

Well, if you remember, Peace Walker's multiplayer reveal was similar.

Reveal:
metal-gear-solid-peace-walker.jpg

This was not the case in the final version of the game.

Release:
MGSPW.jpg

(If you selected Snake, Snake would appear as your character. If another player selected Snake, a masked soldier would appear.)

Yeah, I'm not too worried, just kind of anxious for them to spill the beans on the whole thing already. MGO3 needs to be properly revealed soon, not simply hinted at with mother base infiltration footage...

Yeah, with the wide range of faces for each soldier now, it'll be interesting if they really do let you pick and choose your favorite "look". Maybe it could even be a meta-game interaction between online play and soldier hunting, trying to find rare faces. Because after all, even ignoring mission replays allowing recruiting of the same guards more than once, let's face it, *groan* there are probably not going to be enough unique faces to actually encompass the entirety of the game's population of enemy soldiers. Still, the best thing would be allowing player's to customize Ishmael and use them as their go-to "co-op invite" player two avatar, or their MGO3 avatar..

Oh, and does anyone else hope there is some kind of way of keeping the game open to allow infiltrations/invasions, while also preventing the game from just being a tug of war between two anonymous player's resources, manpower and equipment? I really hope there is a "difficulty select" for online infiltrations. Think of it like this.

What if I wanted to allow infiltrations, both to other bases, and into my own, but didn't want people stealing my shit all the time? I decide to turn on "Big Boss" difficulty for base infiltration, which not only makes players who invade my base have to deal with far more advanced and capable AI than normally, but also (for balance) forces me to deal with the same level of challenge when invading any other player's base, regardless of their chosen infiltration difficulty.

This would really balance this stuff out I think, because from the leaked video, this feature looks way too easy to exploit. I know it is for demonstration purposes, but the game is already kinda easy with any level of skill on "Normal" difficulty, even when ignoring features like bullet time, marking, and Phantom Cigar shenanigans. I hope that last one will also be able to be disabled in the same "mutual" way as what I mentioned above, it makes it way more interesting to be forced to accommodate your sneaking style for changes in lighting like in Ground Zeroes than to just pull out a "holo-joint" and wait till night fall. Players should be able to force particular time's of day on their "forward operating bases" for more creative direction.

I wonder if there is no limit to how many of these bases you can make...

Well, if you remember, Peace Walker's multiplayer reveal was similar.

Reveal:
metal-gear-solid-peace-walker.jpg

This was not the case in the final version of the game.

Release:
MGSPW.jpg

(If you selected Snake, Snake would appear as your character. If another player selected Snake, a masked soldier would appear.)

This is all I want. Recruit friends into a lobby. Customize your loadouts and go off to a mission. Sorry, was never a fan of MGO. The one hit kills got so damn annoying.

Wonder if this online thing deals with invading over people's motherbase

Hahaha, yeah I guess this isn't how it was planned out by Konami, huh? Still, there was practically confirmation ever since they started hinting at this stuff, and they just barely didn't technically confirm it in the E3 motherbase video.

The absolute biggest relief/confirmation in that video is actually how varied a player's base can look. I'm hoping that the giant block seen in the video has lots of layers, if not outright indoor portions *fantasizes recreating many classic MGS rooms*.

SJRB

Gold Member
"Multiplayer reveal" is 100% the other player's Mother Base infiltration. So we'll get the Gamescom gameplay demo and the additional MB stuff.

Remember, this is IGN.

Come on now. Sure you can't spell Ignorant without IGN but you also can't spell Foreigner without IGN or Maligner, or Ignitors.... Oh no... I think all of these words are signifiers pointing to IGN fronting a terrorist organization. The must be arraigned.

m-m-m-multplayer?!?! Do they mean MGO, or only the mother base stuff? Or is it all connected? Either way, HYPE!

Edit: Read first post. Booourns......

Yep, that's the presentation I saw. So keep your expectations in check seems like IGN is overhyping this. Calling the base invasion stuff just MP is overselling it.

OVERSELLING IT? That's a million different variations of MGS2's tanker mission, I'd say it's underselling it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Me too!
MGO was incredibly clunky and the combat was totally awkward and unintuitive.
Yeah but MGO was also that other thing... what was it? Oh yeah. Fun. It was the most fun I ever had on a consistent basis until my clan broke down because of juvenile shenanigans. I love being a tactician.

Card Boy

Banned
Watch this have;

Box walking
Tiny ass maps
Paid maps splintering the community
Online region locking.
Spawn killing.

Konami/Kojima Productions won't have learn't SHIT after 3 games.

Top Bottom