• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain new info, Game is "nearing completion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Dat attention to detail.

Qha23Ry.jpg

Sn4ke_911

What am I looking at?

From reddit:

Snake actually uses trigger discipline. If you put your back to a wall and aim, you can see his index finger is along the side of the gun, then when you fire, he pulls the trigger, and takes it off when you're done firing.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm still banking on the second half/last quarter of this game being a remake of MG1 starring Solid Snake. I won't even be upset if it doesn't happen, but man, that would the twist of the century for me. I could probably die a happy man experiencing it.

Just think about it. Enemy placement/base design could differ depending on how you built it up during the rest of the game.

Sn4ke_911

thought you were swooning over a bullet shell being ejected, which is pretty standard, but a nice detail that is pretty cool.

when the play arts figures come out, you want to get quiet and i'll get big boss? then we can meet up and make up our own metal gear stories!

chloe60jel.gif

Sn4ke_911

I'm still banking on the second half/last quarter of this game being a remake of MG1 starring Solid Snake. I won't even be upset if it doesn't happen, but man, that would the twist of the century for me. I could probably die a happy man experiencing it.

Just think about it. Enemy placement/base design could differ depending on how you built it up during the rest of the game.

Don't start this man, i get here shit all the time for even saying "TeamA" :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Don't start this man, i get here shit all the time for even saying "TeamA" :p
Isn't that the Hayter team?

All that shit won't mean shit once we're proven right, :p

I would love that to be true but I think Kojima would dedicate an entire game to that not just half a game given his love for attention to detail. I just can't see Kojima doing only half a game for such a significant event.

Woodchipper

I would love that to be true but I think Kojima would dedicate an entire game to that not just half a game given his love for attention to detail. I just can't see Kojima doing only half a game for such a significant event.
This.

Kojima's attention to detail can be questioned though. I mean, TPP takes place 9 years after GZ right? Yet they use the same technology and vehicles from what I can tell. Just saying..

But man, a Fox Engine version of the original Metal Gear would be awesome!

i-Lo

From a technical perspective, has there been any word on mitigating the highly noticeable pop in (the desert level was rife with it)?

SolVanderlyn

The original Metal Gear is actually a very sparse and short game, and I feel like it could easily be retold in two chapters or even less. I think half of a 2015, AAA title is more than enough of a game to cover MG1 in detail. Metal Gear 2 is a different story - that would deserve its own game.

MAX PAYMENT

This.

Kojima's attention to detail can be questioned though. I mean, TPP takes place 9 years after GZ right? Yet they use the same technology and vehicles from what I can tell. Just saying..

A lot of military tech used today is no different from the stuff used in the Vietnam war era.

Sn4ke_911

This.

Well we don't really know how long TPP is. It could spawn over a lot of timelines who knows. Kojima confirmed Quiet is a sub plot meaning she is not relevant to the actual main story yet he called her the main heroine of the game.

He also said this:

Kojima Worried The Phantom Pain Is 'Too Big' to Finish

Just take a look at the insane size of the map for The Phantom Pain. There is also a second layer.

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-e3-2014-01.jpg

We pretty much have seen nothing of the game yet so who knows where it will go.

From a technical perspective, has there been any word on mitigating the highly noticeable pop in (the desert level was rife with it)?

Have you seen the new TGS gameplay? i haven't noticed any pop-in. They are constantly working on the game, it's not finished yet so people really shouldn't be bitching about pop-in when the game isn't even done yet.

Woodchipper

The original Metal Gear is actually a very sparse and short game, and I feel like it could easily be retold in two chapters or even less. I think half of a 2015, AAA title is more than enough of a game to cover MG1 in detail. Metal Gear 2 is a different story - that would deserve its own game.
I'd rather have Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 made into one game then, to avoid too big of a jump in time.
A lot of military tech used today is no different from the stuff used in the Vietnam war era.
Well that's true I guess.

Chinner

Banned
It's just great how every single cut-scene in this game is done in one shot. Finally someone putting into use the unique advantages of this medium.

kojimas skills as a director and cinematography (assuming he has some involvement) is definitely one of the things that he has improved upon in each game.

The game will be big...but i dont expect it to be HUGE. Like itll be vast and lots of places to explore, but I dont think every area will be super detailed.
I just hope each area will have lots of things to do and wont feel like a chore to do.
Lots of open world games these days are just that - chores.
GTAV was not 1 of those games - everything actually felt fun to do, hope TPP is no different.
The only thing that has me sort of worried is this being Kojima's 1st open world game.
I loved the linear gameplay of the past MGS games, thats 1 of the reasons its my favorite franchise.

i-Lo

Have you seen the new TGS gameplay? i haven't noticed any pop-in. They are constantly working on the game, it's not finished yet so people really shouldn't be bitching about pop-in when the game isn't even done yet.

No, I didn't notice any pop in for forest gameplay on YT. That said given the object density, it would be a natural form of mitigating factor.

And yes, I am quite cognizant about them continually working on the game; it doesn't hurt to ask questions or raise concerns so that both sides are aware of what parts need working and are being paid attention to.

If you consider my one question, "bitching" then feel free to ignore it or voice your concern to a mod.

Sn4ke_911

That second layer is just the first layer in iDroid form, you can see the roads match up perfectly.

I disagree. The second layer is more of a glass top, where they don't show anything of that layer yet.

This will be Solid Snake's layer.

No, I didn't notice any pop in for forest gameplay on YT. That said given the object density, it would be a natural form of mitigating factor.

And yes, I am quite cognizant about them continually working on the game; it doesn't hurt to ask questions or raise concerns so that both sides are aware of what parts need working and are being paid attention to.

If you consider my one question, "bitching" then feel free to ignore it or voice your concern to a mod.

Dude, it's all good.

MAX PAYMENT

big boss doesnt appear to have aged in the 9 years he was in a coma which im little disappointed about.
I
Fuel for the theory that you're actually playing as a gray fox body double while real big boss is in a coma!

And why "Ishmael" covers his face when he rescues real big boss from the hospital at the end of TPP.
"Ishmael," or some other character who is also coincidentally voiced by Sutherland is the medic in the chopper in Ground Zeroes that is important enough to have a speaking part, and also get his face blown off in the same accident that put snake into a coma.

/conspiracy theory.

It's pretty much a given that Big Boss will in the surface reconcile with Zero. Otherwise, how else could he be the leader of Foxhound while Zero & the rest of the Patriots dominate the different US government branches?

Since Skullface is against both Zero and BB, it comes to this: Zero will either manipulate Big Boss through Kaz or Ocelot to go against Skullface, or Big Boss will be the one to approach Zero to join forces and eliminate Skullface. Either way, Big Boss will be besties again with the Patriots, only the betray them in as the leader of Outer Heaven.
Yeah it has to be this way, otherwise the timeline won't really make sense. Diamond Dogs is also probably going to have to merge into FOXHOUND, perhaps that will be their way of keeping the game going after the main story is over like in PW.

Spaghetti

wouldn't it be interesting if big boss was actually playing both sides of the conflict between zero and skullface in a bid to kill them both?

I think there was a reddit post showing that the map is the same quarter, just mirrored at angle 4 times. (I don't know if I'm making sense)

yeah i remember seeing this somewhere. i always assumed that map was just a visual representation of the size of TPP, not the actual map we will play on

yea but we know he won't kill Zero..

but ultimately that is part of his goal right? starting foxhound under the guise of fighting with zero rather than against him

i'd actually rather have kojima retcon some of this than try to squeeze it all into what we already know happens. the idea of big boss as solid snake's commanding officer, helping him infiltrate the base the big boss himself is in control of doesn't really make much sense

yeah i remember seeing this somewhere. i always assumed that map was just a visual representation of the size of TPP, not the actual map we will play on
I know it's already huge, but I think it would have to be less than the entirerty of TPP considering Africa's size. Probably just Afghanistan on it's own without revealing spoilery parts of the map.

Edit: Oh actually nevermind, I think I get you now. So you mean it's the scale of TPPs map as a whole, but they've just put an Afghanistan image over it? That's a bit misleading.

but ultimately that is part of his goal right? starting foxhound under the guise of fighting with zero rather than against him

i'd actually rather have kojima retcon some of this than try to squeeze it all into what we already know happens. the idea of big boss as solid snake's commanding officer, helping him infiltrate the base the big boss himself is in control of doesn't really make much sense

The only issue with this is there's a bit of a domino effect. People think that by retconning Big Boss being Snake's CO that it would simply retcon MG1 which didn't have much of a plot to begin with, so that's no big deal right? But it's not that simple. It would also retcon history that was established and referenced in MGS1 through MGS4, and the entire dynamic between those two characters. There's not really a way around it without spinning off into an alternate timeline or something.

Plus you've got to explain Big Boss's inaction for 11 years anyway, even if he doesn't go back to FOXHOUND. The Outer Heaven Uprising doesn't actually occur until 1995. They have a good opportunity here with Skull Face being a common enemy.

I know it's already huge, but I think it would have to be less than the entirerty of TPP considering Africa's size. Probably just Afghanistan on it's own without revealing spoilery parts of the map.

Edit: Oh actually nevermind, I think I get you now. So you mean it's the scale of TPPs map as a whole, but they've just put an Afghanistan image over it? That's a bit misleading.

yeah it is kind of, but it's not like the other games show "maps" of the land, it's just a colored layout. there's no buildings on that map, no jungle, nothing. just some mountains and roads

And the Japanese cast has some nuances the English version doesn't. For example, Solidus in Japanese MGS2 was voiced by Solid Snake's VA. Oceliquid in MGS4 was voiced by Liquid Snake's VA like in MGS2.

Ocelot was only voiced by Liquid's VA because Ocelot's actor died.

This has been one of my theories from the beginning. Considering the amount of plot he squeezed out Peace Walker after the credits rolled, it wouldn't surprise me. Also, half is relative to the size of a whole.

welp then mgs4 doesn't exist anymore.

I made up my mind the other day to erase MGS4 from my personal canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom