• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain new info, Game is "nearing completion"

Status
Not open for further replies.
dirf7Tw.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So unlike Final Fantasy and other Japanese games, is MHSV approached with priority on English? Like does Kojima have more interest in the American actors and Hollywood inspiration and wouldn't consider the Japanese cast the "prime" version he'd put in a time capsule? Or is it still at its best to his mind in Japanese and he just happens to seem very attentive to the American elements?

I'd say it's 50/50. His Japanese voice actors were a big part of their TGS showing this year. And the Japanese cast has some nuances the English version doesn't. For example, Solidus in Japanese MGS2 was voiced by Solid Snake's VA. Oceliquid in MGS4 was voiced by Liquid Snake's VA like in MGS2.

The motion capture is primarily the English cast though. And Quiet by Stephanie who is Dutch.

A lot of recent japanese console games have their lip sync adjusted to the english dub only, I guess because most people in the world play the english voiced version and japanese people are more used to mismatched dialogue/lip movement due to dubbed Hollywood movies.

That being said, the japanese version is cast and directed by Kojima himself as usual, while he doesn't really have a lot of involvement with the english recordings, (He doesn't speak english after all.) and in the past he did mention that he was disappointed with the english language casting/performances.

Man, the way Kiefer said that last bit at the end just sends shivers down my spine.

The more I hear of Sutherland the more I am impressed, Ocelot sounds fine for the most part admittedly I miss more of the rasp he had in the Afghanistan demo, but it's not that bad really and in fact considering this is Ocelot in his 40s or so it sounds pretty perfect.

In all this talk about Kiefer and Robin and Troy, I was really impressed by the voice acting for Skull Face in GZ. He seems to be the one that spoke the most if you listen to the codecs and stuff. James Horan (?) plays him. I can't wait for the inevitable Skull Face/Big Boss showdown. Chilling stuff, this guy.

MGSV-E3-Trailer-Skullface.jpg

Skullface.png

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
damn, Keifer makes Boss sound cold.. like he's turning into a villain..

LOL Isn't that the whole fucking point of this game? Watching big boss's downfall into a villain is gonna be interesting, i wonder how far in the timeline will phantom pain go. Kinda want to see them go as far as before metal gear gear solid but that's probably too much for one single game.

I was NEVER a proponent of Big Boss having copious amounts of dialogue. Limited dialogue actually adds more depth to some characters. I'm very fond of Kojima's decision to make just about every last word Big Boss utters sound completely ruthless. And I think Kiefer Sutherland's raspier voice delivers this ruthlessness with far more emotion and craft than Hayter could have achieved.

Batzi

Banned
I was NEVER a proponent of Big Boss having copious amounts of dialogue. Limited dialogue actually adds more depth to some characters. I'm very fond of Kojima's decision to make just about every last word Big Boss utters sound completely ruthless. And I think Kiefer Sutherland's raspier voice delivers this ruthlessness with far more emotion and craft than Hayter could have achieved.

I still can't believe people still think that Hayter could have done a better job.

In all this talk about Kiefer and Robin and Troy, I was really impressed by the voice acting for Skull Face in GZ. He seems to be the one that spoke the most if you listen to the codecs and stuff. James Horan (?) plays him. I can't wait for the inevitable Skull Face/Big Boss showdown. Chilling stuff, this guy.

Huh? He's the one dude I felt TOTALLY dropped the fuckin' ball in Ground Zeroes. His voice is just so awful... it sounds like he's trying to do an impression of what the Japanese VA would sound like in english. It just sounds weird. And not in a creepy weird way like Volgin.

Maybe I'll just get used to it... but hearing that dude's voice for the first time really bummed me out. He sounds really forced and exaggerated... which doesn't fit the tone of the game. Which is a huge problem because his character is in large part responsible for that tone.

Skullface.png

Yeah, Skullface is pretty fascinating and I actually find him quite menacing and mysterious.

I also love when he's getting into the chopper and says "This Pirate crackdowns a go!", and all his little mannerisms with his hat and body language.

Dude is a threat, and I wonder if Kojima will establish him as even more of a threat and an adversary in TPP.

Huh? He's the one dude I felt TOTALLY dropped the fuckin' ball in Ground Zeroes. His voice is just so awful... it sounds like he's trying to do an impression of what the Japanese VA would sound like in english. It just sounds weird. And not in a creepy weird way like Volgin.

Maybe I'll just get used to it... but hearing that dude's voice for the first time really bummed me out. He sounds really forced and exaggerated... which doesn't fit the tone of the game. Which is a huge problem because his character is in large part responsible for that tone.

Really? His monologue about what happened to him as a child creepy as fuck.

Yeah, Skullface is pretty fascinating and I actually find him quite menacing and mysterious.

I also love when he's getting into the chopper and says "This Pirate crackdowns a go!", and all his little mannerisms with his hat and body language.

Dude is a threat, and I wonder if Kojima will establish him as even more of a threat and an adversary in TPP.

Well, he's the primary antagonist, isn't he? He's playing MSF against Cipher, but he's the main face of the enemy... unless Snake teams up with this psycho later on, but I don't think so... or I hope not.

Chinner

Banned
other than how he (mis)pronounces ocelot, i have no idea what you're talking about. if a real person was saying that line, i'm not sure what kind of emotion you're expecting from it coming from the stoic bad-ass big boss. i think people are pouring over his lines with a fine-toothed comb looking for shit. rightly so given how passionate people are about him replacing hayter. but let's not forget hayter's voice acting (or lack thereof) in the process
i dont see any problem with the line, or any mispronunciation. it's not supposed to be something profound, it's just a mutter to himself.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I think that, no matter what happens, Big Boss and Zero will work together in the end to defeat Skullface, even though they hate each other... Just like
Walter and Mike
in Breaking Bad.

DOWN

Banned
Trying to avoid spoilers but this footage is irresistible. I've skipped around so I think I got most of the big stuff out of sight. Just gameplay here and there.

I need more trailers

I need epic trailers

I need the credits to roll after an awesome trailer then it cuts to another trailer

I need big boss fighting vamp with metal gears running around pls

TheF1BOB

Banned

Skullface.png

100 agree. I think he and Kiefer are gonna kill it in TPP. His voice work in the tapes and in the credits is really really good.

He defo speaks differently when not around his unit.

No that's Hayter from MGS4 and PW.

bernardobri

what? no way.

It's pretty much a given that Big Boss will in the surface reconcile with Zero. Otherwise, how else could he be the leader of Foxhound while Zero & the rest of the Patriots dominate the different US government branches?

Since Skullface is against both Zero and BB, it comes to this: Zero will either manipulate Big Boss through Kaz or Ocelot to go against Skullface, or Big Boss will be the one to approach Zero to join forces and eliminate Skullface. Either way, Big Boss will be besties again with the Patriots, only the betray them in as the leader of Outer Heaven.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's pretty much a given that Big Boss will in the surface reconcile with Zero. Otherwise, how else could he be the leader of Foxhound while Zero & the rest of the Patriots dominate the different US government branches?

Since Skullface is against both Zero and BB, it comes to this: Zero will either manipulate Big Boss through Kaz or Ocelot to go against Skullface, or Big Boss will be the one to approach Zero to join forces and eliminate Skullface. Either way, Big Boss will be besties again with the Patriots, only the betray them in as the leader of Outer Heaven.

Maybe later but first Big Boss will team up with Skull Face to fight Zero it seems.

2014-09-2609_22_28-wigyufb.png

bernardobri

Maybe later but first Big Boss will team up with Skull Face to fight Zero it seems.

2014-09-2609_22_28-wigyufb.png

Yeah, but Big Boss could have been taken by force, or he's unaware along with Kaz that Skullface was the one who planned the attack. But yeah, maybe Big Boss and Skullface will team up first or be business partners in some way before the truth comes out.

Sn4ke_911

Well, he's wearing Afghanistan garb here... Does Afghanistan or Africa come first?

Doesn't matter, as we saw in the TGS gameplay demo we can change the camo outfit during missions at anytime via mother base. I'm sure this also counts for cutscenes, depending on what we're wearing. Same with the weather.

Yeah, but Big Boss could have been taken by force, or he's unaware along with Kaz that Skullface was the one who planned the attack. But yeah, maybe Big Boss and Skullface will team up first or be business partners in some way before the truth comes out.

Doesn't seem like he's "taken by force". He has a weapon and isn't handcuffed.

Also i remember Kojima talking about the trailer, where his staff said he shouldn't use that scene in the trailer but he wanted to include it.

this is all a google search away, unless you already remember the stories from MG1 and 2. South Africa is first. then after getting whooped my Solid Snake, he goes to Afghanistan.

Sn4ke_911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom