• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain new info, Game is "nearing completion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
HMMM I wonder why?

Sutherland would have had to do a ton of motion capture work regardless of whether he spoke in scenes or not so don't think it's a case of his use being limited or anything like that. What's more they made it a point to lessen the cutscenes in MGSV. Biggest evidence for this from the get go is the removal of codecs. Finally, there is some precedence for this in the form of MGS4 where Old Snake was actually fairly mute, especially compared to Solid Snake in MGS and MGS2.

HMMM I wonder why?

tumblr_meoq6qwFFz1qd4wkzo3_500.gif

UnrealEck

Storywise he is Big Boss and you would think he wouldn't even go by Snake at this point, but they seem to want to market him as "Snake" still to the masses to make it feel familiar. In the latest trailer he was labeled as "Venom Snake", his close friends seem to call him "Snake" and people outside of that like his enemies call him Big Boss.

Okay so he is Big Boss but he is known as Snake among say, comrades and allies fighting alongside him? I'm guessing this is set before Metal Gear solid. If I remember right, Solid Snake and Liquid Snake are clones from Big Boss. Is this accurate?

Sub_Level

Okay so he is Big Boss but he is known as Snake among say, comrades and allies fighting alongside him? I'm guessing this is set before Metal Gear solid. If I remember right, Solid Snake and Liquid Snake are clones from Big Boss. Is this accurate?

Yes. So is Solidus.

You need to replay these games :p or play them for the first time if you haven't.

UnrealEck

Yes. So is Solidus.

You need to replay these games :p or play them for the first time if you haven't.

Yeah I'm glad you mentioned Solidus too as that crossed my mind. I can't recall who he was though but recall the name.

I've only fully played MGS, MGS2 and MGS4. I only played a very short amount of MGS3. I'll probably play through them all again on an emulator at some point too. It's been a long time because I played MGS and MGS2 back on their launch dates.

poodpick

Anyone else find it silly that enemies will call a combat alert as soon as they spot you sprinting a mile away, but cautiously approach the baloon decoys?

Betty

Banned
Anyone else find it silly that enemies will call a combat alert as soon as they spot you sprinting a mile away, but cautiously approach the baloon decoys?

I guess they're not dumb enough to think the decoys are real people, so they just investigate them first rather than call it in.

Sub_Level

Yeah I'm glad you mentioned Solidus too as that crossed my mind. I can't recall who he was though but recall the name.

I've only fully played MGS, MGS2 and MGS4. I only played a very short amount of MGS3. I'll probably play through them all again on an emulator at some point too. It's been a long time because I played MGS and MGS2 back on their launch dates.

Any other game you're playing right now needs to be dropped and you need to play MGS and subsequently MGS2. It's imperative.

The script was written before Kiefer was cast.
That's possible. Some of Ground Zeroes was definitely completed before Kiefer was even cast because it was the 25th anniversary (I believe) that Kojima unveiled the original Ground Zeroes footage and Avi Arad supposedly recommended Kiefer to Kojima at the 25th anniversary as well.

I think that's why the intro might have come off a bit funny when we heard it in english, because it was written less with Kiefer in mind and more for Akio Otsuka's Snake and the dialogue never changed from the subtitled version we got. It's interesting though because the development obviously shifted to the point that the english version became priority, as it's always the english facial capture. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the script was rewritten to accomodate that.

Caesars

Neo Member
Before I go into Phantom Pain, I'm going to play all the Metal Gear games until the launch day(incluing the MSX2 ones). I bought today The Legacy Collection and mah body is ready for it! THE HYPE IS STRONG WITHIN ME! (but I still want to buy a PS4 to play it anyways)

Reggie.jpg

Awesome.

Now we wait for the YongYea analysis.

Ewgrosspleasedon'tsaythat

Seriously. I made it through like 30 seconds of one of that dude's "OMGZBIG BOZ IZ RLLY GRYFOX GAIZ" videos before never watching another one, ever.

He's one of those awful fans that Kojima has, frankly, just gotten the better of. People love to over analyze everything and then jump to the most ridiculous conclusions possible, just because Kojima's been eccentric and done surprising things in the past. He is NOT going to pull another Raiden trick again. There were very specific reasons for that.

I've come to the conclusion that what makes plain sense is the most likely, and what doesn't, well, let's just go ahead and wait and see what the old man's got up his sleeve. I seriously burnt myself out on conspiracy theories on the old MGS3 IMDB boards back in the day. People were seriously like "GAIZ WHAT IF THE GUY IN THAT TRAILER IS REALLY GURLUKOVICH AND NOT OCELOT OMGAAABALLLZNMAIMOOOUUF."

Anyway, sorry for the rant... I guess my point is that I just think it's just way more fruitful to analyze the context of finished Kojima games, rather than speculate on the content of unreleased ones.

Ewgrosspleasedon'tsaythat

Seriously. I made it through like 30 seconds of one of that dude's "OMGZBIG BOZ IZ RLLY GRYFOX GAIZ" videos before never watching another one, ever.

He's one of those awful fans that Kojima has, frankly, just gotten the better of. People love to over analyze everything and then jump to the most ridiculous conclusions possible, just because Kojima's been eccentric and done surprising things in the past. He is NOT going to pull another Raiden trick again. There were very specific reasons for that.

I've come to the conclusion that what makes plain sense is the most likely, and what doesn't, well, let's just go ahead and wait and see what the old man's got up his sleeve. I seriously burnt myself out on conspiracy theories on the old MGS3 IMDB boards back in the day. People were seriously like "GAIZ WHAT IF THE GUY IN THAT TRAILER IS REALLY GURLUKOVICH AND NOT OCELOT OMGAAABALLLZNMAIMOOOUUF."

Anyway, sorry for the rant... I guess my point is that I just think it's just way more fruitful to analyze the context of finished Kojima games, rather than speculate on the content of unreleased ones.
You're thinking of PythonSelkanHD, he's the one with the Gray Fox theories. YongYea mostly makes videos with information and commentary.

Also looks like things are gonna go back to normal with his channel soon as the videos that got flagged have been put back up.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
People love to over analyze everything and then jump to the most ridiculous conclusions possible, just because Kojima's been eccentric and done surprising things in the past. He is NOT going to pull another Raiden trick again. There were very specific reasons for that.

Like I've always said: Kojima did a real number on the fan base with MGS2.

Everyone is always trying to second guess The Twist that will never come, not realising that the MGS2 marketing itself was part of the game and it's themes.

I just watched the English language version of the trailers.

1. It's very clear Sutherland was recorded in a different location than the rest of the cast. Seriously weird disconnect.

2. Big Boss mumbles every line now.

3. Troy Baker sounds really poor in this, especially compared to Josh Keaton and Patric Zimmerman.

The whole voice cast just seem really unengaged to the whole thing. It's seriously jarring to see how much effort is being put into the game, but how sub-par the voice acting seems to be.

JayEH

I just watched the English language version of the trailers.

1. It's very clear Sutherland was recorded in a different location than the rest of the cast. Seriously weird disconnect.

2. Big Boss mumbles every line now.

3. Troy Baker sounds really poor in this, especially compared to Josh Keaton and Patric Zimmerman.

The whole voice cast just seem really unengaged to the whole thing. It's seriously jarring to see how much effort is being put into the game, but how sub-par the voice acting seems to be.

Video game actors are rarely in the same room together when they record lines. The Japanese VAs weren't together either. All the motion capture was done in Japan by different actors all together from the two.

Video game actors are rarely in the same room together when they record lines. The Japanese VAs weren't together either. All the motion capture was done in Japan by different actors all together from the two.

I know, but I can't think of a time when it was more obvious. I can't even put my finger on why, but it's like Big Boss isn't even part of the scene.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

"an ocelot raising hounds.....fine" that. was. terrible. almost no inflection whatsoever.

I get that there are quota's and time tables the cast and crew have to abide by, but fuck. Hayter himself said that you'll go back and listen to a line you did twenty takes for and wished you had another attempt to get it right. Also, there's translation to consider and what not but this puzzles me because apparently they are facecappin and voice recording in english and THEN dubbing over in japanese. (unless im forgetting that the script is japanese originally).

I like the Kiefster, but some lines feel..........un articulated. It's like he reads a line "slice of american pie on communist soil" and because this comes from a japanese mindspace, he seems confused as to how to approach it, great actor or not.

You go back to gz and listen to the audio tapes and he sounds fine. Although, it makes me wonder why it sounds like he's exerting himself at the crescendo of each line, and this is beside the fact that he has a nasally tamber do to that sutherland honker above his mouth.

I think he brings his own level of sexy to the voice of the character of big boss (did you hear his "kept you waiting huh" from the rubber decoy audio in the gameplay demo?) but, like some people on here have feared, sometimes, SOMETIMES, it sounds like a real person in a world of cartoon characters. I can't help but think the guy is being polite but is thinking to himself when recording the lines "what the fuck have I gotten myself into?"

DOWN

Banned
So unlike Final Fantasy and other Japanese games, is MHSV approached with priority on English? Like does Kojima have more interest in the American actors and Hollywood inspiration and wouldn't consider the Japanese cast the "prime" version he'd put in a time capsule? Or is it still at its best to his mind in Japanese and he just happens to seem very attentive to the American elements?

"an ocelot raising hounds.....fine" that. was. terrible. almost no inflection whatsoever.

I get that there are quota's and time tables the cast and crew have to abide by, but fuck. Hayter himself said that you'll go back and listen to a line you did twenty takes for and wished you had another attempt to get it right. Also, there's translation to consider and what not but this puzzles me because apparently they are facecappin and voice recording in english and THEN dubbing over in japanese. (unless im forgetting that the script is japanese originally).

I like the Kiefster, but some lines feel..........un articulated. It's like he reads a line "slice of american pie on communist soil" and because this comes from a japanese mindspace, he seems confused as to how to approach it, great actor or not.

You go back to gz and listen to the audio tapes and he sounds fine. Although, it makes me wonder why it sounds like he's exerting himself at the crescendo of each line, and this is beside the fact that he has a nasally tamber do to that sutherland honker above his mouth.

I think he brings his own level of sexy to the voice of the character of big boss (did you hear his "kept you waiting huh" from the rubber decoy audio in the gameplay demo?) but, like some people on here have feared, sometimes, SOMETIMES, it sounds like a real person in a world of cartoon characters. I can't help but think the guy is being polite but is thinking to himself when recording the lines "what the fuck have I gotten myself into?"

other than how he (mis)pronounces ocelot, i have no idea what you're talking about. if a real person was saying that line, i'm not sure what kind of emotion you're expecting from it coming from the stoic bad-ass big boss. i think people are pouring over his lines with a fine-toothed comb looking for shit. rightly so given how passionate people are about him replacing hayter. but let's not forget hayter's voice acting (or lack thereof) in the process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom