• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug 6 Added to Metal Slug Anthology (Wii, PSP)

AniHawk

I like Metal Slug. But I just cancelled my Anthology preorder a couple days ago.

I'll probably switch it with another game I had reserved now.

dbish

HOT. If they confirm playing with either classic controller or Gamecube controller on Wii, im in day one (it is a launch game, right?)

KINGMOKU

Question for fans of this game(s). I am a huge fan of Contra series(1,2,3 Aliens wars ooh lala)

I have never played these games. Are they great in this sense like Contra(Or rocket Knight for that matter)Bionic commando, Strider, e.t.c.? Or do they play like cheap rip-pffs?

I would love, to love these games, and will buy as soon as they are available if they are worth it.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
moku said:
Question for fans of this game(s). I am a huge fan of Contra series(1,2,3 Aliens wars ooh lala)

I have never played these games. Are they great in this sense like Contra(Or rocket Knight for that matter)Bionic commando, Strider, e.t.c.? Or do they play like cheap rip-pffs?

I would love, to love these games, and will buy as soon as they are available if they are worth it.

Good god, no. It's a different flavor of run and gun, arguably better than Contra.

KINGMOKU

DjangoReinhardt said:
Good god, no. It's a different flavor of run and gun, arguably better than Contra.
Explain more. I trust you know my feelings on the awesomeness of contra seeing your avatar.

Whats different? What possibly makes them better in your eyes? I know next to nothing about these games.

japtor

moku said:
Explain more. I trust you know my feelings on the awesomeness of contra seeing your avatar.

Whats different? What possibly makes them better in your eyes? I know next to nothing about these games.
you should look into playing them on an emulator (mame). otherwise there are a bunch of videos on youtube. 1, 2 (x), and 3 are all considered good. 4, 5, and 6 i have no clue on, but i believe the general sentiment towards 4 and 5 were meh.

i feel theyre better than the contras as well, but the last one i played was alien wars. im not sure what exactly i like about them better thats all that identifiable, just a general improvement in a lot of aspects. the control feels better, the animation is great, lots of crap to shoot, etc.

KINGMOKU

japtor said:
you should look into playing them on an emulator (mame). otherwise there are a bunch of videos on youtube. 1, 2 (x), and 3 are all considered good. 4, 5, and 6 i have no clue on, but i believe the general sentiment towards 4 and 5 were meh.

i feel theyre better than the contras as well, but the last one i played was alien wars. im not sure what exactly i like about them better thats all that identifiable, just a general improvement in a lot of aspects. the control feels better, the animation is great, lots of crap to shoot, etc.
Thanks for the link/impressions.

KINGMOKU

HOLY ****ING SHIT. If these games are co-op me and my brother will plow through all 6 games together.

Are these games tough? Man I have hungered for more 2-d awesomeness like this for so long.

Come on people! Those who have played these games give with detailed impressions!

They look ****ing tits!

Calidor

moku said:
HOLY ****ING SHIT. If these games are co-op me and my brother will plow through all 6 games together.

Are these games tough? Man I have hungered for more 2-d awesomeness like this for so long.

Come on people! Those who have played these games give with detailed impressions!

They look ****ing tits!

Are you serious? you never played Metal Slug before?

well, the Metal Slug series are usually pretty ****ing hard IMO.. it's also cooperative

my impressions on the series are like this: 1,2 and X: teh awesome, 3: ok, 4: crap, 5: meh

KINGMOKU

Calidor said:
Are you serious? you never played Metal Slug before?

well, the Metal Slug series are usually pretty ****ing hard IMO.. it's also cooperative

my impressions on the series are like this: 1,2 and X: teh awesome, 3: ok, 4: crap, 5: meh
Nope, and its like a ****ing christmas from heaven for me. I adore 2-d blast-a-thons, and it would seem that I just now get to experience what everyone here is calling some of the best, better then the king Contra, 2-d gunslingers.

This makes my Metal Slug hard.

Man those bosses look so awesome. Semi Super Metroid almost,, add a dash of Alein wars, *drool*

BOOYA! This will be mine! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm more of a Contra man myself (shocking, I know) but the Metal Slug games don't feel like cheap rip-offs at all. They're excellent games that have their own feel. 1-6 & X for the price of one game is an excellent value, and should not be passed up by any old school run & gun fan.

cicero

moku said:
Nope, and its like a ****ing christmas from heaven for me. I adore 2-d blast-a-thons, and it would seem that I just now get to experience what everyone here is calling some of the best, better then the king Contra, 2-d gunslingers.

This makes my Metal Slug hard.

Man those bosses look so awesome. Semi Super Metroid almost,, add a dash of Alein wars, *drool*

BOOYA! This will be mine! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
12? 13? That is as high as I am prepared to guess. I can't wait until you discover Gunstar Heroes and we get to hear analogies drawn to games like Donkey Kong Country.

Vard

This is good news. Is online actually confirmed or are you guys just guessing? I'd rather have it be delayed for six months and have online (play, not just a scoreboard) then come out at launch.

KINGMOKU

cicero said:
12? 13? That is as high as I am prepared to guess. I can't wait until you discover Gunstar Heroes and we get to hear analogies drawn to games like Donkey Kong Country.
29. Gamer, and happy person. Any reason for the dick attitude?

I'm really, really hoping they port the PS2/Xbox versions of Metal Slug 3, 4, 5, and 6. I'll take extra bonus content FTW please.

Still an essential buy reguardless. Its times like these that SNK and I have a special bond that nobody else can touch, that we mean everything to each other and that he'll do nothing but make me happy forever and ever.

cicero

moku said:
29. Gamer, and happy person. Any reason for the dick attitude?
uh, your posts? Frankly though, it was the gushing, the teenage level gushing.

Really, you are 29, on the internet, and expect everyone to come off all chirpy and filled with...gaming hope and stuff? Where is your perpetual air of cynicism? At your age you should be grimacing at the youthful ignorance of others. At the least you should have a steady pained weight to your online persona, because if you at this age do not bear the weight of the world on your shoulders, when will you ever? Wii are facing the uncertainties of a new console generation here. (HAHAHAHA. GET THAT, I SAID WII INSTEAD OF WE, THAT IS ALMOST AS CLEVER AS YOUR "Metal Slug" SEXUAL REFERENCE, AND LOADS MORE MATURE AND INTELLECTUAL.)

On a final note, please no more conciliatory private messages. We (WII? HO HO) aren't going to hold internet hands and make the world a better place. Just leave me to my random snarky internet jibes and I will leave you to your explosions of ignorant youthful exuberance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU

Thank you Mr. Akehi.

But let us not be angry, our fallen comrade deserves our pity, for he shall never be able to walk amongst the choosen, the people who enjoy gaming reguardless of the flashiness of the graphics. Let us remember, that the most popular game of last gen (GTA) is essentially ugly as sin.

Seriously though, Metal Slug Anthology is a serious contender for my GOTY. And it just became my most wanted Wii title(Zelda who?). This is like getting invited into a three way with Salma Hayek and Jennifer Connally, while being driven in your new tour bus on your way to your Tony Montana-esque mansion of decadence. How could this news get any better?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
It's been the longest since I played Metal Slug!
I guess this confirms my purchase for my Wii.
:)

ZeoVGM

Banned
DavidDayton said:
I still find it amazing that people are unaware of that.

female mods on a gaming forum isn't exactly a common thing :p plenty of guys could have a name like that (why, i dont know!)

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS, i never played metal slug :[

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
For those who haven't played it, it's a little like Contra but a little harder, you have grenades and can get into tanks called "Metal Slugs." I've only really played the first two, which were excellent. I am totally looking forward to this. If it's Wii launch, I'm there, though talking to Dragona about it, she said she heard March 2007 for the Wii.

It's soooooo awesome the Ikari Warriors are in 6 and that game is making the cut. A previous interview said it wasn't going to be in there. It just makes me doubly excited. I believe I also heard in said previous interview that classic control style is there, along with optional Wiimote stuff, like lobbing grenades. Haven't heard too much since early summer though, so dunno what's up now.

cicero said:

No shit. Gunstar is some great stuff too and waaay too many people haven't played it. GH Super Heroes is excellent and I'm hoping for a VC release of the original!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Wait. What's with the online multiplayer talk for the Wii version. Is this confirmed? Also, are we sure this is launch, cause I am all about some Metal Slug.

madmook

I, too, have never played any Metal Slug games and after watching some gameplay vids I am eagerly awaiting the PSP version of this Anthology.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
932915_75404_front.jpg

Hot portable action on my PSP? Yes please

I just hope loading times don't plague this anthology. It's the only thing I'm concerned about

Angelcurio

Now a good question is, will this game support two players coop multiplayer using gamesharing on the PSP?

If that´s the case, then its going to rock.

Btw, i really liked Metal Slug 4 since you could get into the enemies vehicles for the first time. So please, dont bash it :(

PS: SNK better stop releasing Metal Slug games with infinite lives, that makes the games no fun. Bring it on like Metal Slug one for PS, that game had a limited amount of lives.

Metal Slug 3 for the Xbox... 3-5 life settings, but once you lose them all you go back to the beginning of the level (unless you hit player 2 start, in which case you continue -- but the game is bumped up to 2-Player difficulty, even after the first player dies, making it significantly more difficult... the first four stages are doable, but that system makes stage five incredibly, incredibly hard. :)

japtor

PS: SNK better stop releasing Metal Slug games with infinite lives, that makes the games no fun. Bring it on like Metal Slug one for PS, that game had a limited amount of lives.
did any of the ports actually have infinite lives, or did you mean continues? (which has an easy workaround...dont continue)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
japtor said:
did any of the ports actually have infinite lives, or did you mean continues? (which has an easy workaround...dont continue)

It's infinite lives, and the solution, if you want a real challenge, is to do exactly what you just said. Also Combat School. :)

sarusama

moku said:

They're great games, but not completely comparable to Contra. I like both, but I like the contra flavor better. Here's how I'd put it:

Contra I feel gives you more control on your character just by the fact that you can shoot in all directions and the game in general is more fast-paced. I also prefer the faster-paced more action music. Contra 3... godly! I hope they bring it out on VC soon

Metal Slug is a little slower, and personally the inability to shoot anywhere causes quite a few death on me (being a Contra first player) and those are a little frustrating. Kinda like ghouls & ghosts (or mega man for that manner) but just not as extreme. I'm just not a fan of difficulty through limited control/actions. On the counter side, the graphics and animation on Metal Slug in much much better, more charming and more wacky (in the sense of merging old and new), and the Bosses have a bit more of a wow effect (phucking land-based naval crusers).

The way I'd best put the pacing differences is like this: if I were the contra dude in Metal Slug I'd prolly rarely die and the game would be much much easier. Then again I'm not an Metal Slug expert either.

Top Bottom