• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition Q&A: ‘Next-Gen Consoles Are Much More Powerful Than We First Thought’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We did have the chance to participate in a press roundtable Q&A where 4A Games Executive Producer Jonathan Bloch and Senior Rendering Programmer Ben Archard answered many questions coming from us and other fellow journalists. Below you'll find the full transcript, lightly edited for clarity.

[Wccftech] Do you think that the Ryzen CPUs in PS5 and Xbox Series consoles will help developers meaningly improve AI behavior in next-gen only games?

Ben Archard:
They're very good CPUs, honestly, they really are. We've found them to be very, very useful. I'm a rendering programmer and we find that with the previous generation we were a lot more limited with the CPUs, we found ourselves often a lot more CPU bound, we don't find that that's anywhere near as much of an issue this generation. So they're definitely a considerable improvement over their previous generation counterparts. With that said, we're not the only department that has pressure on the CPU, but we can vouch that they're excellent CPUs that work across the board. I think that many areas of development can benefit significantly from that increase in power.

[IGN Italy] Beyond ray tracing, how do the console versions of Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition stack up to the PC settings?

Ben Archard:
I think they're reasonably akin to High settings. There are settings on the PC where you can push it even further, like the quality of certain features. That also depends very much on your PC. Generally a very, very high-end PC may have less issue with dynamic resolution scaling. But the feature set is essentially identical, and so is the experience.

Jonathan Bloch: The console hardware is not going to change until a new generation comes out. With PCs, hardware is constantly evolving, so we have to put in even some features where some settings aren't even really possible to run at a certain time because we're anticipating that the hardware will get better in a couple of years. So for fans that will go out and buy a new card in the future, they'll get some cool benefits. It's more of a matter of leaving the headroom to turn things up when you can handle it.

[IGN Poland] How much room for improvement is there with the PlayStation 5 and Xbox series consoles? Do you feel like they're holding back technology available on PC?

Ben Archard:
That remains to be seen really. There's going to be years of technological development optimization. And, honestly, that's the process of working throughout a console generation lifecycle. You start at the beginning, you put something out, and then you work and you learn and you figure things out. So how much room there is left? it's utterly impossible for us to say, we're gonna keep trying to push as much in as we can until they break. As far as a hindrance, I would honestly say that I'm really glad that they've done raytracing. Now we're in the era of ray tracing, we can go all in, and the fact that the consoles are there is a really good solid baseline for that. It allows us to say, Okay, well, we're going to do that on PC, we're going to do that on all platforms. We're going to cut off from the old way of doing things as it were. And we can now go full steam ahead with this new and what we feel is a much better paradigm for working within.

Check the link for more.

elliot5

Takeaways from this article is that they were able to implement Raytracing on the consoles sort of to their surprise, and there's a lot of potential within these systems compared to before. They will look to use raytracing in their projects moving forward as the "standard" because of it. Consoles aren't holding back PC as much because of their ability up and down the family (XSS, XSX, PS5).

Additionally, no SSD related optimizations were made other than just letting the CPU and SSDs do their normal thing (likely means single threaded loading, no fancy decompression, etc).

Tier 1 VRS was on XS, software VRS on PS5. No use of Tier 2 or SFS, but they will experiment with them in the future. No mesh shading used in this game either.

Not much comment on XSS other than it's a targeted platform for Microsoft's business usecase, and they were able to fit in their important 60 fps and RT features onto that platform successfully.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yea they got 60 fps and RT, at below low RT solutions with quarter resolution that doesn't even raytrace half the screen that low does on PC which creates many issue's of stuff not getting light bouncing in area's and just look straight weird, no reflections in the water, with drops to 1080p ( if not lower ) , with no tesselation ( decade old technique ) no hairworks, aka completely butchered game nowhere near high on PC that loses tons of detail as DF showcased.

Series S goes as low as 500p while at it.

And that all from a last gen game made for potato's.

Dat high end PC experience, but only super high end can deliver better visuals rofl.

Them saying we finally entered raytracing area, i honestly feel like they should have nuked RT entirely out of the game and actually pushed the visuals forwards.

it's great they are on the RT train with there game, but honestly anybody gives a single shit? when the fidelity gets nuked to shit? My god lets hope they won't drop RT as base for next gen game, we won't see much improvements from what they have now.

Last edited:

elliot5

Yea they got 60 fps and RT, at below low RT solutions with quarter resolution that doesn't even raytrace half the screen that low does on PC which creates many issue's of stuff not getting light bouncing in area's and just look straight weird, no reflections in the water, with drops to 1080p ( if not lower ) , with no tesselation ( decade old technique ) no hairworks, aka completely butchered game nowhere near high on PC that loses tons of detail as DF showcased.

Series S goes as low as 500p while at it.

And that all from a last gen game made for potato's.

Dat high end PC experience, but only super high end can deliver better visuals rofl.

Them saying we finally entered raytracing area, i honestly feel like they should have nuked RT entirely out of the game and actually pushed the visuals forwards.

it's great they are on the RT train with there game, but honestly anybody gives a single shit? when the fidelity gets nuked to shit? My god lets hope they won't drop RT as base for next gen game, we won't see much improvements from what they have now.
For a first attempt on hardware not necessarily made for intense raytracing applications? It's pretty admirable despite the scalebacks. I don't expect every game to go near-full RT like ME:EE, but it's good that AAAA is pushing the medium in some form and trying something new this early on.

[Wccftech] Did you evaluate the implementation of other DirectX 12 features like Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback when developing Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition? Are you planning to use them in future titles?

Ben Archard: As far as Mesh Shaders, they're not really something we had any need to use because they essentially change the way that you run your geometry pipeline and we already have a very mature geometry pipeline. Maybe we can experiment with them, we're not ruling them out, but there weren't strictly speaking necessary for this project.

Sampler Feedback, again, it's something we'll look into. I like the look of it, but it needs to be experimented on. In Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition we do have Variable Rate Shading, a Tier 1 implementation that we use to reduce the actual number of pixels drawn for our transparent effects. That helps performance a little bit, but we haven't gone fully into Tier 2 VRS yet."

This part really stood out to me. It shows that SFS and VA aren't being used and those features will aid quite a bit with perceived memory issues on the XSS. This is the same developer people here held up as proof XSS was a problem, even if other developers said otherwise. Now 4A Games is acknowledging these consoles have more potential than what was first thought. The XSS will be just fine but it's easier when devs actually use the features available on the box. I hope people take more in to consideration when judging these systems.

Now 4A Games is acknowledging these consoles have more potential than what was first thought. The XSS will be just fine but it's easier when devs actually use the features available on the box. I hope people take more in to consideration when judging these systems.

ElnZgOR.gif

dcmk7

Banned
[Wccftech] Did you evaluate the implementation of other DirectX 12 features like Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback when developing Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition? Are you planning to use them in future titles?

Ben Archard: As far as Mesh Shaders, they're not really something we had any need to use because they essentially change the way that you run your geometry pipeline and we already have a very mature geometry pipeline. Maybe we can experiment with them, we're not ruling them out, but there weren't strictly speaking necessary for this project.

Sampler Feedback, again, it's something we'll look into. I like the look of it, but it needs to be experimented on. In Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition we do have Variable Rate Shading, a Tier 1 implementation that we use to reduce the actual number of pixels drawn for our transparent effects. That helps performance a little bit, but we haven't gone fully into Tier 2 VRS yet."

This part really stood out to me. It shows that SFS and VA aren't being used and those features will aid quite a bit with perceived memory issues on the XSS. This is the same developer people here held up as proof XSS was a problem, even if other developers said otherwise. Now 4A Games is acknowledging these consoles have more potential than what was first thought. The XSS will be just fine but it's easier when devs actually use the features available on the box. I hope people take more in to consideration when judging these systems.
Because they didn't want to rewrite whole geometry pipeline, the developers are the problem? Back to blaming the developers.

Maybe if Microsoft did a better job with the XSS, wouldn't be seeing so much blame directed to game studios.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Meh. Sub 1080p 60 fps isn't my idea of powerful. I think their hard on for ray tracing is a silly infatuation which will handicap their visuals going forward.

They might be thinking of this from a budget point of view to keep costs low but if 60 fps rt is this heavy, how are they going to push next gen visuals?

Maybe they will settle for 1440p 30 fps.

Because they didn't want to rewrite whole geometry pipeline, the developers are the problem? Back to blaming the developers.

Maybe if Microsoft did a better job with the XSS, wouldn't be seeing so much blame directed to game studios.
He isn't blaming anyone, you need to work on your reading comprehension. It's an old game so nobody expects them to rewrite their shit for the new consoles. Series S is still a beast btw :messenger_beaming:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This part really stood out to me. It shows that SFS and VA aren't being used and those features will aid quite a bit with perceived memory issues on the XSS.
Sure, it will help but XSX may also be pushed even harder leaving the same delta. It is also possible that SFS would buy a small percentage memory pressure relief over what they already do 🤷‍♂️. Still, yes… you discovered that cross generation games can either hold back a high end target or leave behind the low end one…

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Good news I suppose. The game looks absolutely stunning, best and most intensive use of ray tracing on console so far.

Thats not what he means, he means mesh shaders doesnt improve much since they are already using a mature geometry pipeline and as for sfs it has been done since xbox 360 its called virtual texturing and some engines use it some dont, it aint gonna save series s memory issues

It's a older game. People like you said it would struggle in the future and that is clearly hyperbole. The system has features to deal with future titles and I'm glad you are discovering this. Any developer can get insight on the Xbox's capabilities by contacting MS.

Sure, it will help but XSX may also be pushed even harder leaving the same delta. It is also possible that SFS would buy a small percentage memory pressure relief over what they already do 🤷‍♂️. Still, yes… you discovered that cross generation games can either hold back a high end target or leave behind the low end one…
I agree the XSS will always be behind graphically. I believe this is by design though so it's not like it's a revelation. There has been no evidence that the XSS is holding anything back especially seeing this game scale based on the platform its on. The good thing is that MS figured out they'd need some features to deal with memory management and apparently they added them. Maybe they know more about this than some people on this forum.

Thats not what he means, he means mesh shaders doesnt improve much since they are already using a mature geometry pipeline and as for sfs it has been done since xbox 360 its called virtual texturing and some engines use it some dont, it aint gonna save series s memory issues
That is NOT the same thing as DirectX 12 Sampler Feedback Streaming. It is a built in hardware feature that wasn't used here but will be an option when current gen only titles are developed. I believe MS knows more about these features than you.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's a older game. People like you said it would struggle in the future and that is clearly hyperbole. The system has features to deal with future titles and I'm glad you are discovering this. Any developer can get insight on the Xbox's capabilities by contacting MS.

I agree the XSS will always be behind graphically. I believe this is by design though so it's not like it's a revelation. There has been no evidence that the XSS is holding anything back especially seeing this game scale based on the platform its on. The good thing is that MS figured out they'd need some features to deal with memory management and apparently they added them. Maybe they know more about this than some people on this forum.
Those features were designed for the XSX too, you are discovering that XSX and PS5’s jump from 8 GB (12 in the case of XOX to XSX) to 16 GB of RAM was epically small and need to compensate while you are selling that it will help close the gap between XSS and XSX.

We went from XSS has the same experience at 1440p to same experience at 1080p to redefining that same does not mean actually the same but you can change framerate, remove raytracing or other features, reduce draw distance, have more pop-in, etc… at a lower resolution because hey it is cheaper (then smart delivery forcing you to download XSX and XSS versions of the game making the game bigger than on PS5, according to Xbox fans not PS5 fanboys…). There is nothing that cannot be redefined to make XSS look great…
Apparently a $349 digital only 512 GB XSX would have been impossibly high priced, not have helped the ecosystem, and a bad value compared to the much much lower specced $299 XSS… 🤷‍♂️.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That is NOT the same thing as DirectX 12 Sampler Feedback Streaming. It is a built in hardware feature that wasn't used here but will be an option when current gen only titles are developed. I believe MS knows more about these features than you.
Yes they do and not even them are selling it to deliver a tenfold improvement to modern virtual texturing schemes and even if it were it would apply to both XSX and XSS keeping the same delta. It is not like it has not been discussed tons and tons of times on this forums (with devs commenting too): can help democratise efficient virtual texturing and might improve efficiency a bit but it is not the silver bullet people want it to be (still helping virtual texturing be adopted more is a lofty and hard goal).

dcmk7

Banned

Developers of this game said it would struggle in the future... you're wrong, yet again.

They made this bold predication being fully aware of the SFS and mesh shading.

So guess there isn't a silver bullet.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Vindicated again.
People have been saying this since launch and now developers are finally talking about it, we're going to see a huge leap when these features are used fully and I think Series S will benefit most.
It's about time journalists started asking these questions, the use of Tier 1 VRS only also shows why DF saw some of the problems in effects. They also confirm that they had used hardware for Series and Software VRS for PS5 as I talked about last week, its good to know I was right again.
Looking forward to the time we start getting the full suite of features in games and seeing the results they are truly capable of.

Corndog

Banned
Wrong. Do we really need to rehash this again. Sfs is new.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Meh. Sub 1080p 60 fps isn't my idea of powerful. I think their hard on for ray tracing is a silly infatuation which will handicap their visuals going forward.

They might be thinking of this from a budget point of view to keep costs low but if 60 fps rt is this heavy, how are they going to push next gen visuals?

Maybe they will settle for 1440p 30 fps.
Well RT is this heavy and even on PC's you have to have DLSS to get reasonable resolution and that resolution is taken from like 720p native. So yeah in this regard, it isn't that bad...

dcmk7

Banned
Vindicated again.
People have been saying this since launch and now developers are finally talking about it, we're going to see a huge leap when these features are used fully and I think Series S will benefit most.
It's about time journalists started asking these questions, the use of Tier 1 VRS only also shows why DF saw some of the problems in effects. They also confirm that they had used hardware for Series and Software VRS for PS5 as I talked about last week, its good to know I was right again.
Looking forward to the time we start getting the full suite of features in games and seeing the results they are truly capable of.
Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

Another silly prediction from you. 4A Games made their bold claim about the future whilst having full knowledge of the unused features.

Why continue to make these predictions, against what the experts are saying? you always come off worse. Just like this now infamous one:

We'll see, also with the RDNA2 features I would think within 12 months Series S could be pushing PS5 pretty hard, I wouldn't worry about Series X If I were you it'll be out of sight by then.
At least you didn't invent / twist any quotes this time though.

Last edited:

Three

Dude stop acting foolish. If they have a mature geometry pipeline it means they do what SFS does in software (compute). It means they will benefit very little from it except saving some cpu cycles maybe which they don't really need for a last gen game anyway.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

Another silly prediction from you. 4A Games made their bold claim about the future whilst having full knowledge of the unused features.

Why continue to make these predictions, against what the experts are saying? you always come off worse. Just like this now infamous one:

At least you didn't invent / twist any quotes this time though.

Hard for you to take when your favourite quote now becomes obsolete as predicted. We'll see when the first games appear using these features and what impact it has, but it's nice now developers are talking about what people here have been saying all along.
As for quotes what I said about VRS last week has just been confirmed by the Dev.

Last edited:

Three

He isn't blaming anyone, you need to work on your reading comprehension. It's an old game so nobody expects them to rewrite their shit for the new consoles. Series S is still a beast btw :messenger_beaming:
Are you sure he isn't? What happened to dark mages hyperbole interpretations?

This part really stood out to me. It shows that SFS and VA aren't being used and those features will aid quite a bit with perceived memory issues on the XSS. This is the same developer people here held up as proof XSS was a problem, even if other developers said otherwise.

We'll see when the first games appear using these features and what impact it has, but it's nice now developers are talking about what people here have been saying all along.

I think Stalker 2 could be it. It looks rather awesome.

Am afraid people will still keep going after Series S cause it's convenient.

longdi

Banned
[Meristation] What do you think about Xbox Series S?

Jonathan Bloch:
It's definitely a targeted SKU that has its purpose for Microsoft and for their business model. We made a decision to run at 1080p to better suit the specific hardware that they included in it, we wanted to make sure to maintain all the other capabilities that we wanted to bring to Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, with 60 FPS and ray tracing being two of the most important features. We wanted to make sure we could deliver them to both of those SKUs. We think that that was the right choice for the product.

Riky

$MSFT
I think Stalker 2 could be it. It looks rather awesome.

Am afraid people will still keep going after Series S cause it's convenient.

Probably, like I said it's a coping mechanism for them.
It's sweet when the Dev they used has come out and said the consoles which include Series S are better than they originally thought and they are looking at the performance saving features, hopefully they can get them all into their next games. SFS in itself is going to be a big help and it seems they will move to Tier 2 VRS which will help image quality.

dcmk7

Banned
Hard for you to take when your favourite quote now becomes obsolete as predicted. We'll see when the first games appear using these features and what impact it has, but it's nice now developers are talking about what people here have been saying all along.
As for quotes what I said about VRS last week has just been confirmed by the Dev.
They have been very honest with everything.

Just you are very selective with the quotes you like to use.

And hence you end up embarrassing yourself.

I mean look at your 12 month prediction with XSS and PS5. It's beyond clueless.

And we are coming upto 12 month later and this (old) game shows it can't run raytracing without reducing resolution down to Switch like levels.

4a Games might turn out right with their prediction that's going to be problematic going forwards.

Riky

$MSFT
They have been very honest with everything.

Just you are very selective with the quotes you like to use.

And hence you end up embarrassing yourself.

I mean look at your 12 month prediction with XSS and PS5. It's beyond clueless.

And we are coming upto 12 month later and this (old) game shows it can't run raytracing without reducing resolution down to Switch like levels.

4a Games might turn out right with their prediction that's going to be problematic going forwards.

Funny that your always very personal about me, obsessed much?
It's not 12 months its seven since launch and no games use all the RDNA2 hardware supported features yet. Like they said only tier 1 VRS here, but when they are all used we will see the results and I'll either be right or wrong.

Are you sure he isn't? What happened to dark mages hyperbole interpretations?
By this logic the devs are blaming themselves. In this interview they confirmed that they didn't assess the power of the next gen consoles correctly. Which seems true considering the XSS can push RTGI at 60 fps even without all the nice next gen features Microsoft has implemented. It's only gonna get better with time.

dcmk7

Banned
By this logic the devs are blaming themselves. In this interview they confirmed that they didn't assess the power of the next gen consoles correctly. Which seems true considering the XSS can push RTGI at 60 fps even without all the nice next gen features Microsoft has implemented. It's only gonna get better with time.
Wow, trust some people around here to literally believe the exact opposite of what the game studio has said about this... Will believe anything to help them cope.

Three

How did they blame themselves? That's not what they said. Before they had they hardware they didn't know how it was going to perform.

before we even had the hardware, we were obviously very cautious. We didn't know exactly how it was going to perform.
Then they got the hardware and developed for it.

For mesh shaders they said

As far as Mesh Shaders, they're not really something we had any need to use because they essentially change the way that you run your geometry pipeline and we already have a very mature geometry pipeline. Maybe we can experiment with them, we're not ruling them out, but there weren't strictly speaking necessary for this project.
They are telling you it isn't something they need or is necessary because they have a mature geometry pipeline that likely culls just as well.

Somehow that means that XSS can alleviate all memory and GPU shortcomings in the eyes of darkmage because they didn’t use mesh shaders. Stop making excuses for the Series S and blaming devs for its shortcomings when it's just clear that it's not all that powerful and wasn't designed to be. That's not to say there is going to be no advancements but it's just stupid to try and blame the devs for some budget hardware as if the devs forgot to use some magic bullet.

They are telling you it isn't something they need or is necessary because they have a mature geometry pipeline that likely culls just as well.
They never said that it isn't necessary, or that it culls just as well. They said they didn't use it because they had their own geometry pipeline ready and that they will experiment with Mesh Shaders in the future. You also forgot to mention SFS, with which they will also experiment.

Three

They never said that it isn't necessary, or that it culls just as well. They said they didn't use it because they had their own geometry pipeline ready and that they will experiment with Mesh Shaders in the future. You also forgot to mention SFS, with which they will also experiment.
"they're not really something we had any need to use"

"but there [sic] weren't strictly speaking necessary for this project."

They said it wasn't necessary. In plain English. Twice.

assurdum

Banned
Vindicated again.
Listen the person who said 36 CUs would be a terrible limit for developers and now he said they will be perfectly fine to work on console which runs a game with raytracing at 512p with the same graphic setting of past generation; all these contradictions just to defend a console branded Xbox.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Listen the person who said 36 CUs would be a terrible limit for developers and now he said they will be perfectly fine to work on console which runs a game with raytracing at 512p with the same graphic setting of past generation; all these contradictions just to defend a console branded Xbox.
Why do people attack XSS for 512P under demanding scenes but aren’t attacking PS5 for 1015P under demanding scenes.
One was advertised as a 1080P/1440P box, one was advertised as a 4K box and almost every game for it has not hit 4K but has been reconstructed from some sun 4K resolution.
Why not keep the same energy.

Caio

How did they blame themselves? That's not what they said. Before they had they hardware they didn't know how it was going to perform.

Then they got the hardware and developed for it.

For mesh shaders they said

Somehow that means that XSS can alleviate all memory and GPU shortcomings in the eyes of darkmage because they didn’t use mesh shaders. Stop making excuses for the Series S and blaming devs for its shortcomings when it's just clear that it's not all that powerful and wasn't designed to be. That's not to say there is going to be no advancements but it's just stupid to try and blame the devs for some budget hardware as if the devs forgot to use some magic bullet.

I love when some people keep talking about secret souce and """full RDNA2""" features; nothing will save the XSS from being an underpowered system which should never been released, easy as that. It has a very weak GPU and RAM/memory bandwidth limitations, not even Gosh can save it, neither the """full RDNA2""" can... it is getting pathetic.

What will happen when multiplatform games will start to be more and more complex, demanding, big, and require plenty of GPU power and memory bandwidth ? Even PS5 and XSX will be in "trouble", just imagine the 4TF XSS...come on guys.

We only have two next Gen Consoles in the long run, PS5 and XSX, with their Mid Gen upgrade later on saving them to be too much obsolete compared to the high end PC starting from 2024, when multiplatform games will be much more demanding than now.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

For someone you claimed to have on ignore you sure quote me a lot.
Quote where I said " terrible limit for developers" .

assurdum

Banned
Why do people attack XSS for 512P under demanding scenes but aren’t attacking PS5 for 1015P under demanding scenes.
One was advertised as a 1080P/1440P box, one was advertised as a 4K box and almost every game for it has not hit 4K but has been reconstructed from some sun 4K resolution.
Why not keep the same energy.
Why people not attack series X at 1080p for the same reason, with the same graphic setting and still worst performance of ps5, when should destroy it listening them time ago? For real, now was ps5 heavily branded a 4k console capable? I have to post what the MS engineers said about 4k in their presentation against the only Cerny conference which never talked a single time of resolution? Because I could bet wasn't sony so obsessed about the 4k talks.

Last edited:
"they're not really something we had any need to use"

"but there [sic] weren't strictly speaking necessary for this project."

They said it wasn't necessary. In plain English. Twice.
The rest of my post still stands :messenger_beaming: especially within the context of "not necessary" because they had a ready to go pipeline for the game. There's a reason why they will still experiment with Mesh Shaders.

Top Bottom