• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition Q&A: ‘Next-Gen Consoles Are Much More Powerful Than We First Thought’

Three

Why do people attack XSS for 512P under demanding scenes but aren’t attacking PS5 for 1015P under demanding scenes.
One was advertised as a 1080P/1440P box, one was advertised as a 4K box and almost every game for it has not hit 4K but has been reconstructed from some sun 4K resolution.
Why not keep the same energy.
Frankly I'm ok with the XSX and PS5 floating around the 1080p mark in demanding scenes in this game. Resolution matters if I can have it but not at the expense of everything else. They at least tried to move the needle in terms of visuals with raytraced GI and lighting . I've always said I actually wouldn't mind 1080p games pushing amazing visuals :

The issue I have are with people who need to make excuses for the XSS. Whether that is blaming devs if they voice some opinion of it or if their game performs poorly in comparison as expected on it. The XSS is just a budget low powered machine why blame shift and praise it? All the while flip flopping on their views about PS5s power differences and how huge they are.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Laugh Lol GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
I want you, right now, to list me consumer ready PC parts, including a case to put it in, for £250

Lets see what you can do.

Three

Fixed link above. Quote directly below.
That's what only having 36 compute units gets you, going to be a serious limiting factor when next gen games arrive.

Yeah, you're full of shit riky.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Not make search in your post history, I have no time to waste. You said tons of absurdity around the ps5 hardware you don't even remind :messenger_tears_of_joy:
This what you mean?
For someone you claimed to have on ignore you sure quote me a lot.
Quote where I said " terrible limit for developers" .
Or this one?
Developers don't just decide to suddenly start degrading resolution down to 1800p max for no reason, obviously in all their tests that's the resolution that a smaller GPU can handle, as it's always been on PC. Having only 36 compute units is a limiting factor that nothing can ever fix.

He is not exactly a prophet is he? Just a terrible troll.

EDIT: Man I'm well, well too late with this.

Last edited:

Three

The rest of my post still stands :messenger_beaming: especially within the context of "not necessary" because they had a ready to go pipeline for the game. There's a reason why they will still experiment with Mesh Shaders.
For future projects why not but if your game/project is a past gen game where you have no issues with the amount of geometry on screen what do you gain? It's not needed. It's just the usual excuse by xbox fans as if mesh shaders would somehow increase the resolution or decrease memory usage of the game when it is not limted by it (they say they have their own software based geometry pipeline). The GPU on the XSS is just weak especially with the raytracing in the game which is why you get that low performance. It really is that simple. Why blame shift to the dev when it comes to the XSS?

Those features were designed for the XSX too, you are discovering that XSX and PS5’s jump from 8 GB (12 in the case of XOX to XSX) to 16 GB of RAM was epically small and need to compensate while you are selling that it will help close the gap between XSS and XSX.

We went from XSS has the same experience at 1440p to same experience at 1080p to redefining that same does not mean actually the same but you can change framerate, remove raytracing or other features, reduce draw distance, have more pop-in, etc… at a lower resolution because hey it is cheaper (then smart delivery forcing you to download XSX and XSS versions of the game making the game bigger than on PS5, according to Xbox fans not PS5 fanboys…). There is nothing that cannot be redefined to make XSS look great…
Apparently a $349 digital only 512 GB XSX would have been impossibly high priced, not have helped the ecosystem, and a bad value compared to the much much lower specced $299 XSS… 🤷‍♂️.
You have made the same 'mistake' as many of the Sony fans here with regard to the 'experience' XSS would bring. First off MS NEVER said the XSS would have identical performance other than resolution. Graphics were always something that was going to be compromised on the XSS. It is disingenuous to state otherwise. For the record that experience always related to features. Quick resume, fps boost, and 60 fps are some examples of the same features across the board. The biggest hog of memory will always be texture data and the XSS needs less of that data than the XSX or PS5. If SFS and VA are used it will significantly improve memory efficiency. It is on MS to ensure those features are available for developers to use and on developers to use them.

Your comments about your personal feelings about the XSS are largely irrelevant because everyone is different. Just because you don't want a lower resolution Xbox doesn't mean no one on earth does. The system will always be cheaper to produce and sell and that is the whole point. The XSX SOC is already the most expensive SOC, with the worst yields. Only making that version of the system would mean even fewer Xbox consoles out there and fewer potential customers especially in developing countries like India. Ultimately that would mean less Game pass subs and MS wants more subs not to go toe to toe with Sony in a myopic battle to sell only game consoles.

MS had bigger plans to reach a larger audience and more XSXs isn't the way to reach non enthusiasts who have limited funds. I'm happy that you are flush with cash but not everyone is in your shoes and has your unlimited disposable income. Combine that with the fact that Xbox has less mind share than Sony and it makes perfect sense for MS to do whatever they can to move XSS to an impulse buy. It is funny though to see people make fun of MS for not making any money with Xbox and see you suggest a $350 XSX which would come dangerously close to dumping territory. Sony and MS shareholders might not appreciate that move.

Unless you are looking for specific examples of 'poor' performance the XSS has provided outstanding outcomes for its price point. Can you provide ANY examples of a PC or console that has outperformed the XSS for LESS money? This is a $300 console that has raytracing, I can't think of a video card alone that offers that. There are more expensive consoles that don't have the same number of 120 fps titles as the XSS or offer emulation at all yet against all logical data some people continue to make up unrealistic imaginary standards to knock the least costly device this generation. People attack the XSS for not always hitting 1440p when the PS5 and XSX don't always hit 4K (thanks THE DUCK THE DUCK ). People complain about its storage when again unlike other more expensive consoles it had working external AND internal memory storage options at launch. These complaints would make more sense if this device was the MOST expensive not the cheapest. I have a feeling of these comments more of a personal issue with MS as a company than the XSS as a budget console.

Why are third parties held up as the standard for what the XSS can do and not MS? How have MS games ran on this 'horrible' console? Gears Hivebusters came out last year did it run at 500p? Forza 4 was updated for the XSS how did it perform? What about the multitude of games where the XSS outperformed the X1X, last gens best and most expensive console? I have a feeling that MS will release more games for their console and if we were seriously judging its performance we'd look at MS published games. MS Flight Simulator is coming out next month. If that game runs at a constant 500p with tons of frame drops or is utterly unplayable we may finally have a title proving the XSS is not up to the task for this generation. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Developers of this game said it would struggle in the future... you're wrong, yet again.

They made this bold predication being fully aware of the SFS and mesh shading.

So guess there isn't a silver bullet.
You have no credibility sir. You have never made a cogent argument against the XSS and I doubt you ever will. Them being fully aware of SFS and not using it doesn't mean anything. How would they know what it would offer them if they aren't even using the tech? This game wouldn't be a good gage of anything in the future seeing how it was built around an older graphics pipeline.

Dude stop acting foolish. If they have a mature geometry pipeline it means they do what SFS does in software (compute). It means they will benefit very little from it except saving some cpu cycles maybe which they don't really need for a last gen game anyway.
Weren't you the guy arguing that MS would not release any games that are graphically impressive? And you are talking about acting foolish? I swear some people here completely lack self awareness. I'll just say that software graphic features are more CPU intensive than hardware ones. SFS will do much more than save some CPU cycles seeing how it's whole purpose is to improve memory usage.

Wow, trust some people around here to literally believe the exact opposite of what the game studio has said about this... Will believe anything to help them cope.
Just for information (don't want to be real part of XsS fight) but that's not what said one dev for exemple regarding the XsS to be honest, saying that when the cross gen period will be finished, that will be better for the XsS. That was remedy dev.

dcmk7

Banned
You have made the same 'mistake' as many of the Sony fans here with regard to the 'experience' XSS would bring. First off MS NEVER said the XSS would have identical performance other than resolution. Graphics were always something that was going to be compromised on the XSS. It is disingenuous to state otherwise. For the record that experience always related to features. Quick resume, fps boost, and 60 fps are some examples of the same features across the board. The biggest hog of memory will always be texture data and the XSS needs less of that data than the XSX or PS5. If SFS and VA are used it will significantly improve memory efficiency. It is on MS to ensure those features are available for developers to use and on developers to use them.

Your comments about your personal feelings about the XSS are largely irrelevant because everyone is different. Just because you don't want a lower resolution Xbox doesn't mean no one on earth does. The system will always be cheaper to produce and sell and that is the whole point. The XSX SOC is already the most expensive SOC, with the worst yields. Only making that version of the system would mean even fewer Xbox consoles out there and fewer potential customers especially in developing countries like India. Ultimately that would mean less Game pass subs and MS wants more subs not to go toe to toe with Sony in a myopic battle to sell only game consoles.

MS had bigger plans to reach a larger audience and more XSXs isn't the way to reach non enthusiasts who have limited funds. I'm happy that you are flush with cash but not everyone is in your shoes and has your unlimited disposable income. Combine that with the fact that Xbox has less mind share than Sony and it makes perfect sense for MS to do whatever they can to move XSS to an impulse buy. It is funny though to see people make fun of MS for not making any money with Xbox and see you suggest a $350 XSX which would come dangerously close to dumping territory. Sony and MS shareholders might not appreciate that move.

Unless you are looking for specific examples of 'poor' performance the XSS has provided outstanding outcomes for its price point. Can you provide ANY examples of a PC or console that has outperformed the XSS for LESS money? This is a $300 console that has raytracing, I can't think of a video card alone that offers that. There are more expensive consoles that don't have the same number of 120 fps titles as the XSS or offer emulation at all yet against all logical data some people continue to make up unrealistic imaginary standards to knock the least costly device this generation. People attack the XSS for not always hitting 1440p when the PS5 and XSX don't always hit 4K (thanks THE DUCK THE DUCK ). People complain about its storage when again unlike other more expensive consoles it had working external AND internal memory storage options at launch. These complaints would make more sense if this device was the MOST expensive not the cheapest. I have a feeling of these comments more of a personal issue with MS as a company than the XSS as a budget console.

Why are third parties held up as the standard for what the XSS can do and not MS? How have MS games ran on this 'horrible' console? Gears Hivebusters came out last year did it run at 500p? Forza 4 was updated for the XSS how did it perform? What about the multitude of games where the XSS outperformed the X1X, last gens best and most expensive console? I have a feeling that MS will release more games for their console and if we were seriously judging its performance we'd look at MS published games. MS Flight Simulator is coming out next month. If that game runs at a constant 500p with tons of frame drops or is utterly unplayable we may finally have a title proving the XSS is not up to the task for this generation. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

You have no credibility sir. You have never made a cogent argument against the XSS and I doubt you ever will. Them being fully aware of SFS and not using it doesn't mean anything. How would they know what it would offer them if they aren't even using the tech? This game wouldn't be a good gage of anything in the future seeing how it was built around an older graphics pipeline.

Weren't you the guy arguing that MS would not release any games that are graphically impressive? And you are talking about acting foolish? I swear some people here completely lack self awareness. I'll just say that software graphic features are more CPU intensive than hardware ones. SFS will do much more than save some CPU cycles seeing how it's whole purpose is to improve memory usage.

My argument is based purely on facts bud.

Coming from you that I have no credibility is hilarious.. since you have been caught lying multiple times and you criticise developers even calling them lazy. Where is your credibility exactly?

How about keep the arguments to facts.. and actually on topic.

You talk about price and performance.. the price to Terraflops of the XSS pales in comparison to PS5 DE. That's the true value for money. And it's capable of uncompromised games and no 540p figures in sight.

Them being fully aware of SFS and not using it doesn't mean anything.
The CFO has been interested in SFS for years, he knows about it. Yet despite this he still made his prediction.

It's almost like an expert knows what he's talking about.

Last edited:

Romulus

Yea they got 60 fps and RT, at below low RT solutions with quarter resolution that doesn't even raytrace half the screen that low does on PC which creates many issue's of stuff not getting light bouncing in area's and just look straight weird, no reflections in the water, with drops to 1080p ( if not lower ) , with no tesselation ( decade old technique ) no hairworks, aka completely butchered game nowhere near high on PC that loses tons of detail as DF showcased.

Series S goes as low as 500p while at it.

And that all from a last gen game made for potato's.

Dat high end PC experience, but only super high end can deliver better visuals rofl.

Them saying we finally entered raytracing area, i honestly feel like they should have nuked RT entirely out of the game and actually pushed the visuals forwards.

it's great they are on the RT train with there game, but honestly anybody gives a single shit? when the fidelity gets nuked to shit? My god lets hope they won't drop RT as base for next gen game, we won't see much improvements from what they have now.

Are there any side by sides that really show the difference? I watched the df vid and everything looked so similar to me.

Three

Nobody is saying the XSS isn't cheap but when you start trying to call out devs rather than the limited hardware when its weaker GPU is doing exactly what it is capable of I will call out your and Riky's bullshit defense of it. SFS saves memory usage if you don't already have a software based method like say granite. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

dcmk7

Banned
Nobody is saying the XSS isn't cheap but when you start trying to call out devs rather than the limited hardware when its weaker GPU is doing exactly what it is capable of I will call out your and Riky's bullshit defense of it. SFS saves memory usage if you don't already have a software based method like say granite. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
This is the exact reason why developers and D dark10x don't post here anymore.

It's crazy how people continue to run this place down, with ignorant, uneducated rubbish like this.

My argument is based purely on facts bud.

Coming from you that I have no credibility is hilarious.. since you have been caught lying multiple times and you criticise developers even calling them lazy. Where is your credibility exactly?

How about keep the arguments to facts.. and actually on topic.

You talk about price and performance.. the price to Terraflops of the XSS pales in comparison to PS5 DE. That's the true value for money. And it's capable of uncompromised games and no 540p figures in sight.
You keep saying I'm lying, you have any proof of that? Show one post where I called anyone lazy dude. Haha teraflops to performance? What normal person goes to the store and asks which console has the best flops to performance? The PS5 DE is not a better deal since it's MORE expensive and offers LESS features. You also talk about uncompromised performance and in Metro PS5 runs at less than 1080p, that is the definition of compromise especially for a higher price. Funny how you don't have any complaints about that. Shows again you have no cogent argument against the XSS.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
You keep saying I'm lying, you have any proof of that? Haha Teraflops to performance? What normal person goes to the store and asks which console has the best flops to performance? The PS5 DE is not a better deal since it's MORE expensive and offers LESS features. You also talk about uncompromised performance and in this very game PS5 runs at less than 1080p, that is the definition of compromise especially for a higher price dude. Funny how you don't have any complaints about that. Shows again you have no cogent argument against the XSS.
You keep saying how great price it is for the hardware. Well it isn't is it when use that ratio.

Or DF recent analysts.

Not to mention need an expansion card to extend the small hard drive to a useful size.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Sony fans ran him off and anyone else who doesn't praise Sony.
No.

Another lie. Ugly habit from you it was the Xbox crowd.
I'm coming in here for one time to make this very important note. I'm being very careful with my words when discussing these things in videos. Do you know how much shit I've put up with after it turns out Xbox is massively underperforming?! Constant threats, harassment and even shit sent to my god damn house. All over these stupid plastic boxes. These people are insane and it's absolutely draining me. Now we have the opposite in this due to 'wording' that people read into. Just stop it.

Please just take the results as is. The data is there, it's clear to see.

Back to signing off.
Like I said before bud, you lie constantly and just aren't credible, I don't understand quite why you do it.

That desperate for Sony to look bad. Would go to those extremes. Lying isn't a good look though.. that's not the answer.

Last edited:
No.

Like I said before bud, you lie constantly and just aren't credible, I don't understand quite why you do it.

That desperate for Sony to look bad. Would go to those extremes. Lying isn't a good look though.. that's not the answer.
A post from John about early Xbox Series performance complaints is the reason why he was ran off years ago by Sony fans? My goodness dude you are really reaching. I do like your personal attacks and lack of any actual data but that is typical.
You keep saying how great price it is for the hardware. Well it isn't is it when use that ratio.

Or DF recent analysts.

Not to mention need an expansion card to extend the small hard drive to a useful size.
In the end the PS5 DE is not a good alternative to the XSS and that is based on features and price. To attack the small size of its expandable storage is funny when the more expensive console can't do it at all is more bad comedy. There is no need for mental gymnastics or hoop jumping it is a simple fact. Also you have no answer to the compromised performance of the PS5 in Metro which is typical of Sony fans who are not capable of criticising that company. What ever makes you feel better and apparently that is inventing crap about the XSS. It's pretty sad dude.

dcmk7

Banned
A post from John about early Xbox Series performance complaints is the reason why he was ran off years ago by Sony fans? My goodness dude you are really reaching. I do like your personal attacks and lack of any actual data but that is typical.

In the end the PS5 DE is not a good alternative to the XSS and that is based on features and price. To attack the small size of its expandable storage is funny when the more expensive console can't do it at all is more bad comedy. There is no need for mental gymnastics or hoop jumping it is a simple fact. Also you have no answer to the compromised performance of the PS5 in Metro which is typical of Sony fans who are not capable of criticising that company. What ever makes you feel better and apparently that is inventing crap about the XSS. It's pretty sad dude.
Oh weird, we were very clearly talking about D dark10x last visit.

Xbox fans ran him off.. he explicitly mentioned it.

Did you not read that part? Or just trying move the goalposts now..

Better off owning the lie.

Last edited:
Oh weird, we were very clearly talking about D dark10x no one, anywhere mentioned John.

Did you not read that part? Or just trying move the goalposts now..

Better off owning the lie.
Since you don't know what you are talking about I'll drop this line of discussion. On topic the XSS has plenty of power left for this generation of games and I'm looking forward to seeing that bare out with MS Flight Simulator next month.

assurdum

Banned
So I never said what you claimed and never said "terrible" at all, every machine has a limiting factor somewhere and PS5 is no different.
Not only machine has limiting factor it seems. You can't even admit when you pissed out of the vase.

Last edited:

Stuart360

No.

Look at Johns post history, its there for all to see. That post you posted was nearly 6 months after he was ran off the forum by Sony fans over the whole Gears 5 crap.
I was here when it was happening, and it was not nice to see.
Check his post history and look at all the prior posts, you will see the disgusting shit he had from the Sony faithful here.

Last edited:
For future projects why not but if your game/project is a past gen game where you have no issues with the amount of geometry on screen what do you gain? It's not needed. It's just the usual excuse by xbox fans as if mesh shaders would somehow increase the resolution or decrease memory usage of the game when it is not limted by it (they say they have their own software based geometry pipeline). The GPU on the XSS is just weak especially with the raytracing in the game which is why you get that low performance. It really is that simple. Why blame shift to the dev when it comes to the XSS?
Nobody blamed the devs. It's just that with the use of all next gen features they will be able to get more performance out of the little beast.

ClosBSAS

lol thats what avalanche studios said bout ps4 and then they couldnt run just cause 4 at more than 20 fps. fact is, they all say this about new consoles. in a year or two, theyll be outdated and thats a fact.

So I never said what you claimed and never said "terrible" at all, every machine has a limiting factor somewhere and PS5 is no different.

You said serious though.

significant or worrying because of possible danger or risk; not slight or negligible.

Edit: What's interesting is that serious and terrible are interchanged with each other in many dictionaries. Even some consider them synonyms.

So effectively you were calling that the 36CUs is a really bad limitation for the PS5. Doesn't matter if you used serious or terrible that's what you meant.

Last edited:
Are there any side by sides that really show the difference? I watched the df vid and everything looked so similar to me.

Difference is there like any game at 1080p vs 4k. But overall experience is great on all consoles. Enjoyable on Series S.

But enjoying things is not the point of console war. It's about taking a bigger dump than the other dude.

Takeaways from this article is that they were able to implement Raytracing on the consoles sort of to their surprise, and there's a lot of potential within these systems compared to before. They will look to use raytracing in their projects moving forward as the "standard" because of it. Consoles aren't holding back PC as much because of their ability up and down the family (XSS, XSX, PS5).

Additionally, no SSD related optimizations were made other than just letting the CPU and SSDs do their normal thing (likely means single threaded loading, no fancy decompression, etc).

Tier 1 VRS was on XS, software VRS on PS5. No use of Tier 2 or SFS, but they will experiment with them in the future. No mesh shading used in this game either.

Not much comment on XSS other than it's a targeted platform for Microsoft's business usecase, and they were able to fit in their important 60 fps and RT features onto that platform successfully.
Microsoft need to update their tools (6 7 months in and powerful features are still not being used), it's obvious now that they are still way behind where they should be and it's holding back games on both systems currently, not good enough Phil.

dcmk7

Banned
Look at Johns post history, its there for all to see. That post you posted was nearly 6 months after he was ran off the forum by Sony fans over the whole Gears 5 crap.
Check his post history and look at all the prior posts, you will see the disgusting shit he had from the Sony faithful here.

D dark10x explicitly pointed out that Xbox fans were even sending stuff to his house, that's what it ascended too. It's truly disgusting behaviour.

Just over some bad comparisons.

What is wrong with fanboys, I will never get it, and yes, I'm taking about both sides, if he has experienced abuse from Sony fans in the past that wouldn't surprise me and should be called out too.

Last edited:

retsof624

Thats great and all, but the game still feels sluggish to play. The animations are clunky as hell, the highest sensitivity setting feels like the lowest setting on other game's sensitivity settings. Game looks nice, but playing it is a pain in the ass for me.

Wait who's John?! No one mentioned John! It was quite obvious with the way Sony fans are around here who ran him off. The only revisionist history is that it was somehow the tiny minority of Xbox people were anywhere near the presence of the Sony guys.

Microsoft need to update their tools (6 7 months in and powerful features are still not being used), it's obvious now that they are still way behind where they should be and it's holding back games on both systems currently, not good enough Phil.
MS needs to ensure that their development kit is mature but this particular title is a poor example seeing how it was developed way before the XSS was a thing. Again I am really looking forward to see how Flight Simulator is handled on the XSS. The thing is that when a game runs well on the XSS the detractors all disappear only to reappear when they can find a game that suits their narrative. It's quite amazing.

dcmk7

Banned
Wait who's John?! No one mentioned John! It was quite obvious with the way Sony fans are around here who ran him off. The only revisionist history is that it was somehow the tiny minority of Xbox people

Doesn't mention Sony.. in his final post. Some insane Xbox fanboys even sending stuff to his house.

I'm coming in here for one time to make this very important note. I'm being very careful with my words when discussing these things in videos. Do you know how much shit I've put up with after it turns out Xbox is massively underperforming?! Constant threats, harassment and even shit sent to my god damn house. All over these stupid plastic boxes. These people are insane and it's absolutely draining me. Now we have the opposite in this due to 'wording' that people read into. Just stop it.

Please just take the results as is. The data is there, it's clear to see.

Back to signing off.

Appalling behaviour.

Last edited:
Good news I suppose. The game looks absolutely stunning, best and most intensive use of ray tracing on console so far.
Not really it only has raytraced gi
Wrong. Do we really need to rehash this again. Sfs is new.
It isnt new its just enhanced virtual texturing theres nothing new here. Its decades old technology has hadbeen countless names in the past decades, tiled resources, sampler feedback, sampler feedback streaming, mega textures its all virtual texturing just give it a break, its in rage x360, doom 2016 removed from doom eternal engine, its in far cry 4 and almost all open world games. Its just another buzzword to keep you fanatics chatting.

That is NOT the same thing as DirectX 12 Sampler Feedback Streaming. It is a built in hardware feature that wasn't used here but will be an option when current gen only titles are developed. I believe MS knows more about these features than you.
I believe microsoft are masters of marketing and confusion, sampler feedback has been in hardware on amd gpu's for years infact it was on ps4 in hardware aswell, being in hardware just helps the software process and the process is called virtual texturing, it was called mega textures in x360 days on games like rage,

Was well advertised by microsoft during xbox one events and direct x 12 as the new holy grail that will save graphics back in 2014 memory under the name tiled resources.

And now its back again with another name "sampler feedback streaming"

This is all palavar its an excuse for the slower io they have on series consoles compared to ps5 to try and convince people that its some sort of new tech thatll rival the io on ps5 which is all fraud, infact they copied the ps4 simply put the ps4 had hardware decompression and sampler feedback in hardware so microsoft must have copied that n thought sony would have gone the same route. but sony went a whole new paradigm. So for your own sake just dont be fooled by sfs it isnt new your only hope is if decompression and direct storage works as advertised.

Heres ps4's hardware decompression
And hardware virtual texturing done on ps4 a decade ago. So basically xbox copied ps4s approach testament to cernys intellect but cerny cooked different magic on ps5.
gGr81OR.png
iEGNUkB.png

Top Bottom