• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition Q&A: ‘Next-Gen Consoles Are Much More Powerful Than We First Thought’

I believe microsoft are masters of marketing and confusion, sampler feedback has been in hardware on amd gpu's for years infact it was on ps4 in hardware aswell, being in hardware just helps the software process and the process is called virtual texturing, it was called mega textures in x360 days on games like rage,

Was well advertised by microsoft during xbox one events and direct x 12 as the new holy grail that will save graphics back in 2014 memory under the name tiled resources.

And now its back again with another name "sampler feedback streaming"

This is all palavar its an excuse for the slower io they have on series consoles compared to ps5 to try and convince people that its some sort of new tech thatll rival the io on ps5 which is all fraud, infact they copied the ps4 simply put the ps4 had hardware decompression and sampler feedback in hardware so microsoft must have copied that n thought sony would have gone the same route. but sony went a whole new paradigm. So for your own sake just dont be fooled by sfs it isnt new your only hope is if decompression and direct storage works as advertised.

Heres ps4's hardware decompression
And hardware virtual texturing done on ps4 a decade ago. So basically xbox copied ps4s approach testament to cernys intellect but cerny cooked different magic on ps5.
gGr81OR.png
iEGNUkB.png

It's pretty interesting that you'd preach about MS's marketing then proceed to spew Cerny talking points and weird commentary about how MS and AMD copied Sony.

"Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) is very technical and focuses mostly on texture data, but the gist is that SFS arms developers with much more control over how and when textures are loaded. Instead of loading an entire mipmap texture, SFS allows devs to load just portions of textures that are seen by the player. "

This with the ability to pull data off of the much faster storage will significantly improve memory usage on the XSS IF developers use it. This is nothing like streaming data off a blu-ray disc or even a mechanical hard drive as we saw last generation. There is a reason this wasn't used before.

For all the talk of the magical io on the PS5 it is only useful when developers code to it just like SFS. That's why in Metro the Xbox versions of the game load just as fast if not faster. Not too shabby for fraudulent copiers of Master Mark Cerny huh. 😉

Kenpachii

Did they? This lines up with their Insomniac interview where the devs there also stated the same, on their side they stated there's more to get out of the SSD than they were able to with Ratchet & Clank and there's some untapped power still.

Insomiac has something to showcase for it. These guys do not. And that's what triggers me.

U can't say its a high end PC experience when the game has lower then low RT going on ( main feature of the that enhanced game ), and everything else is a mixed bag to turned off settings entirely that a 2060 outperforms which is considered a budget tier 2,5 year old gpu at this point.

This shit triggers me to no end for example.

Witcher 3 devs talking about PS4:

“After the announcement of the PS4 many graphics programmers commented that Sony’s upcoming console is a high-end PC and I agree with them,” he said.

Guess high end PC experience was running at 10 fps through the swamp, cut back drawdistances and sacrifices everywhere to keep the performance up.

[IGN Italy] Beyond ray tracing, how do the console versions of Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition stack up to the PC settings?

Ben Archard:
I think they're reasonably akin to High settings. There are settings on the PC where you can push it even further, like the quality of certain features. That also depends very much on your PC. Generally a very, very high-end PC may have less issue with dynamic resolution scaling. But the feature set is essentially identical, and so is the experience.

I don't care what he intends to say, i care about the message he's giving. and he's clearly baiting people into the fact that the consoles are very very high end PC's, yet a 2060 super ( maybe even the 2060 who knows ) outperforms that xbox series X a budget card from last generation at max settings.

Here's are some good examples which DF made.

Tesselation? xbox360 introduced it lol, hell it was a feature metro 2033 introduced in what? 11 years ago. This should be absolutely standard by now. Its like not having AF.

Before u don't know what tesselation is, here's a good example.

tessellation.jpg

7a5a28ef881f3d20425d1904b8e1e457.jpg

Look at the bar, where are the ribbons? its all very much scaled back.

64d679597f550a89d4c7a44596589d0d.jpg

Hairs on animals? what's that. Back in the PS3 area again?

2b6d94742c7954f7a85dd45b74b055e9.jpg

here's low raytracing for you on PC. Right side wuts even going on there lol.

29a66df3cbcfe9d4f228201c5aaaa3cd.jpg

PC - xbox - PC

just look at the box under it, zero lightning

9f59630d0754277109bf5bf7e88755c7.png

?????

4ccb34ffc07f0e847651284967033d91.jpg

While all the RT plebs on the PC side are drooling over RT, the game itself has been butt ugly on models since it release and already was considered pretty darn outdated visually the moment u sticked your head outside of the sewers and all of that because they had run the game on consoles in a bigger scope then metro 2033 which already had issue's running on those consoles, and while pushing RT because there was so much perfomrance left over on PC and it would trigger nvidia to invest into them + trigger lots of high end PC gamers that never played the game to buy it just to see how it runs.

However now with the newer generation it just sounds completely terrible.

Now do i hate RT? no not really. I like it. However the performance impact is far far far to high for consoles and frankly in my vision RT needs to be dropped sooner rather then later on mulitplatform titles or PC or else the quality will take a serious dive to what we could archieve. This is why i apploud microsoft from ditching RT from there car game.

With this quote from them.

Now we're in the era of ray tracing, we can go all in, and the fact that the consoles are there is a really good solid baseline for that. It allows us to say, Okay, well, we're going to do that on PC, we're going to do that on all platforms. We're going to cut off from the old way of doing things as it were. And we can now go full steam ahead with this new and what we feel is a much better paradigm for working within.

They are getting wet from the idea that they have to do diickshit for next gen because they will just reuse there old assets and blame it on RT that the consoles are limited by. Be prepared to see those metro exodus aka metro ll, aka metro 2033 models in your next gen metro game yet again.

Last edited:
Hahaha it seems you have problems reading I dint criticise amd I criticized microsoft marketing and what youve written about sampler feedback is exactly what virtual texturing has done for years it seems you havent even watched the videos ive posted or understand anything of what virtual texturing is. Goodluck 😝

It's pretty interesting that you'd preach about MS's marketing then proceed to spew Cerny talking points and weird commentary about how MS and AMD copied Sony.

"Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) is very technical and focuses mostly on texture data, but the gist is that SFS arms developers with much more control over how and when textures are loaded. Instead of loading an entire mipmap texture, SFS allows devs to load just portions of textures that are seen by the player. "

This with the ability to pull data off of the much faster storage will significantly improve memory usage on the XSS IF developers use it. This is nothing like streaming data off a blu-ray disc or even a mechanical hard drive as we saw last generation. There is a reason this wasn't used before.

For all the talk of the magical io on the PS5 it is only useful when developers code to it just like SFS. That's why in Metro the Xbox versions of the game load just as fast if not faster. Not too shabby for fraudulent copiers of Master Mark Cerny huh. 😉
Hahaha it seems you have problems reading I dint criticise amd I criticized microsoft marketing and what youve written about sampler feedback is exactly what virtual texturing has done for years it seems you havent even watched the videos ive posted or understand anything of what virtual texturing is. Goodluck 😝

microsoft clearly copied ps4s approach if you knew engineering youll get it but I guess not so keep dreaming that virtual texturing is new 😂😂😂

FritzJ92

Why people not attack series X at 1080p for the same reason, with the same graphic setting and still worst performance of ps5, when should destroy it listening them time ago? For real, now was ps5 heavily branded a 4k console capable? I have to post what the MS engineers said about 4k in their presentation against the only Cerny conference which never talked a single time of resolution? Because I could bet wasn't sony so obsessed about the 4k talks.
Sony has a big 8K badge on the outside of the box 🙄

I picked the PS5 because it’s mostly Sony fans downplaying the role the Series S fits. The people buying it aren’t on Neogaff forums giving a crap about who won the pixel race. It’s a door to next gen at an affordable price akin to entry level graphic cards on PC.

microsoft clearly copied ps4s approach if you knew engineering youll get it but I guess not so keep dreaming that virtual texturing is new 😂😂😂
Sure buddy Sony has mastered the art of texturing and MS just followed their lead. They didn't have Direct X or anything way before the PlayStation was even a thing. I'm kind of glad MS didn't follow Sony's lead we'd still have consoles with no hard drive, or achievements, or standard wireless controllers, or a cohesive online multiplayer framework. Yup It's all thanks to Sony. SFS was not anything like what is possible on the Xbox Series consoles and your refusal to believe that doesn't change reality. None of your Sony praise changes the fact that SFS hasn't been used on the XSS and it will mitigate memory issues on the platform if developers use it.

Last edited:
explicitly pointed out that Xbox fans were even sending stuff to his house, that's what it ascended too.

Where did he say this?

Edit: Ok NVM I just saw the post.

Damn that's messed up.

I just hope they never sent him anything dangerous.

Last edited:
Sure buddy Sony has mastered the art of texturing and MS just followed their lead. They didn't have Direct X or anything way before the PlayStation was even a thing. I'm kind of glad MS didn't follow Sony's lead we'd still have consoles with no hard drive, or achievements, or standard wireless controllers, or a cohesive online multiplayer framework. Yup It's all thanks to Sony. SFS was not anything like what is possible on the Xbox Series consoles and your refusal to believe that doesn't change reality. None of your Sony praise changes the fact that SFS hasn't been used on the XSS and it will mitigate memory issues on the platform if developers use it.
You simply wrote crap, and calling me buddy doesnt help you. Fact is ps4 had hardware decompression and hardware sfs sand microsoft copied that to series x and s not knowing that sony invebted a new paradigm of io architecture on ps5 that microsoft had no clue about and its all there on my post. So you can keep calling me buddy and acting ignorant but facts are facts virtual texturing isnt going to solve series s memory problems and yours aswell 😂😂

You simply wrote crap, and calling me buddy doesnt help you. Fact is ps4 had hardware decompression and hardware sfs sand microsoft copied that to series x and s not knowing that sony invebted a new paradigm of io architecture on ps5 that microsoft had no clue about and its all there on my post. So you can keep calling me buddy and acting ignorant but facts are facts virtual texturing isnt going to solve series s memory problems and yours aswell 😂😂
Hey man I agree with you! Sony invented video games! MS copied them! They faked the moon landing!

Last edited:

MrSec84

Takeaways from this article is that they were able to implement Raytracing on the consoles sort of to their surprise, and there's a lot of potential within these systems compared to before. They will look to use raytracing in their projects moving forward as the "standard" because of it. Consoles aren't holding back PC as much because of their ability up and down the family (XSS, XSX, PS5).

Additionally, no SSD related optimizations were made other than just letting the CPU and SSDs do their normal thing (likely means single threaded loading, no fancy decompression, etc).

Tier 1 VRS was on XS, software VRS on PS5. No use of Tier 2 or SFS, but they will experiment with them in the future. No mesh shading used in this game either.

Not much comment on XSS other than it's a targeted platform for Microsoft's business usecase, and they were able to fit in their important 60 fps and RT features onto that platform successfully.

Where did the devs say they were using Software VRS on PS5?
In the article this thread quotes from the devs only ever say they're using Tier 1 VRS in general, they never say whether it's
hardware or software based.

PS5 has VRS hardware, since it's already been confirmed to have RDNA2 architecture, with some customizations, but we've had Activision developers say that PS5 has hardware based VRS, so it's pretty silly to keep spinning this ridiculous narrative that PS5 doesn't have that technology.

Tschumi

Reminds me of, like, Start Trek Generations, or was it Deep Space 9, when the chief engineer advises a young engineer that you should always grossly overestimate difficulty and time so you can charge the maximum and get the most time possible and smallest possible expectations with which to do your job :p

*Receives console developer kits*
"Oh... S'ok. Siiigh. We'll do our best."

Insomiac has something to showcase for it. These guys do not. And that's what triggers me.

U can't say its a high end PC experience when the game has lower then low RT going on ( main feature of the that enhanced game ), and everything else is a mixed bag to turned off settings entirely that a 2060 outperforms which is considered a budget tier 2,5 year old gpu at this point.

This shit triggers me to no end for example.

Witcher 3 devs talking about PS4:

Guess high end PC experience was running at 10 fps through the swamp, cut back drawdistances and sacrifices everywhere to keep the performance up.

I don't care what he intends to say, i care about the message he's giving. and he's clearly baiting people into the fact that the consoles are very very high end PC's, yet a 2060 super ( maybe even the 2060 who knows ) outperforms that xbox series X a budget card from last generation at max settings.

Here's are some good examples which DF made.

Tesselation? xbox360 introduced it lol, hell it was a feature metro 2033 introduced in what? 11 years ago. This should be absolutely standard by now. Its like not having AF.

Before u don't know what tesselation is, here's a good example.

tessellation.jpg

7a5a28ef881f3d20425d1904b8e1e457.jpg

Look at the bar, where are the ribbons? its all very much scaled back.

64d679597f550a89d4c7a44596589d0d.jpg

Hairs on animals? what's that. Back in the PS3 area again?

2b6d94742c7954f7a85dd45b74b055e9.jpg

here's low raytracing for you on PC. Right side wuts even going on there lol.

29a66df3cbcfe9d4f228201c5aaaa3cd.jpg

PC - xbox - PC

just look at the box under it, zero lightning

9f59630d0754277109bf5bf7e88755c7.png

?????

4ccb34ffc07f0e847651284967033d91.jpg

While all the RT plebs on the PC side are drooling over RT, the game itself has been butt ugly on models since it release and already was considered pretty darn outdated visually the moment u sticked your head outside of the sewers and all of that because they had run the game on consoles in a bigger scope then metro 2033 which already had issue's running on those consoles, and while pushing RT because there was so much perfomrance left over on PC and it would trigger nvidia to invest into them + trigger lots of high end PC gamers that never played the game to buy it just to see how it runs.

However now with the newer generation it just sounds completely terrible.

Now do i hate RT? no not really. I like it. However the performance impact is far far far to high for consoles and frankly in my vision RT needs to be dropped sooner rather then later on mulitplatform titles or PC or else the quality will take a serious dive to what we could archieve. This is why i apploud microsoft from ditching RT from there car game.

With this quote from them.

They are getting wet from the idea that they have to do diickshit for next gen because they will just reuse there old assets and blame it on RT that the consoles are limited by. Be prepared to see those metro exodus aka metro ll, aka metro 2033 models in your next gen metro game yet again.
4A and the metro exodus game are Nvidia gameworks oriented. Basically i'm saying they're kind of shills.

Godfavor

What you have mentioned is virtual texturing called PRT (its a performance saving feature), which was used in a lot game engines that support tiled textures.

This does not include the mip streaming aspect of SF (sampler feedback), because old consoles and PCs would have to load a lot of unused partial textures into memory just in case that they would be needed later, because the HDD was not fast enough to stream them in real time. (This is a memory usage saving feature)

That's why now we have Sampler feedback streaming. It's an evolution from the old PRT, which combines both SF and PRT. (Also called PRT+).

SFS/PRT+ can also stream mips on the fly according to camera distance (like what unreal engine 5 is doing with the meshes).

Last edited:
What you have mentioned is virtual texturing called PRT (its a performance saving feature).

This does not include the mip streaming aspect of SF (sampler feedback), because old consoles and PCs would have to load a lot of unused partial textures into memory just in case that they would be needed later, because the HDD was not fast enough to stream them in real time. (This is a memory usage saving feature)

That's why now we have Sampler feedback streaming. It's an evolution from the old PRT, which combines both SF and PRT. (Also called PRT+).

Also SFS/PRT+ can also stream mips on the fly according to camera distance (like what unreal engine 5 is doing with the meshes).
Prt is exactly what sampler.feedback is your simply confusing yourself with buzzwords and grammar. You can call it whatever you want, mega textures, prt, prt+, sfs, tiled resources... its all the same crap its all mip streaming virtual texturing. Theres no magic here thats going to solve series s memory problems or make xbox io any efficient as ps5 its all a bunch of excellent good old american corporate marketing palavar from microsoft. But ad usual people still buy it.

Godfavor

Prt is exactly what sampler.feedback is your simply confusing yourself with buzzwords and grammar. You can call it whatever you want, mega textures, prt, prt+, sfs, tiled resources... its all the same crap its all mip streaming virtual texturing. Theres no magic here thats going to solve series s memory problems or make xbox io any efficient as ps5 its all a bunch of excellent good old american corporate marketing palavar from microsoft. But ad usual people still buy it.
No it is not.

I have explained what it does. If you cannot understand it, I can explain it analytically for you.

I wont mention any memory problems of XSS or comparing it with PS5 to fuel your console warring though.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No it is not.

I have explained what it does. If you cannot understand it, I can explain it analytically for you.

I wont mention any memory problems of XSS or comparing it PS5 to fuel your console warring though.

Consoles were doing mip streaming into VRAM since the PS2 days btw and you had complex software managed virtual texturing setups on PS3 and PS4 (DOOM 3, DOOM 2016, etc…).

Your argument, more than about key changes in SFS, was about latency and throughput of mechanical disks vs SSD’s, but while that has a part to play it influences the speed of traversal and possibility of pop-in/streaming issues does not make it impossible.

If you are saying SFS or virtual texturing schemes are more important now because we have SSD’s and because RAM is at a very costly premium (small increase generation over generation) well we are in agreement. We have seen both consoles offer strong SSD and new File I/O software stacks developed for it and it is an area one of the console developers particularly spent extra silicon/R&D on to ensure the lowest possible latency (3x the QoS levels/priority levels on top of tons of HW to accelerate it end to end) and CPU overhead as well as highest possible throughput.

Godfavor

Consoles were doing mip streaming into VRAM since the PS2 days btw and you had complex software managed virtual texturing setups on PS3 and PS4 (DOOM 3, DOOM 2016, etc…).

Your argument, more than about key changes in SFS, was about latency and throughput of mechanical disks vs SSD’s, but while that has a part to play it influences the speed of traversal and possibility of pop-in/streaming issues does not make it impossible.

If you are saying SFS or virtual texturing schemes are more important now because we have SSD’s and because RAM is at a very costly premium (small increase generation over generation) well we are in agreement. We have seen both consoles offer strong SSD and new File I/O software stacks developed for it and it is an area one of the console developers particularly spent extra silicon/R&D on to ensure the lowest possible latency (3x the QoS levels/priority levels on top of tons of HW to accelerate it end to end) and CPU overhead as well as highest possible throughput.
Yes that's what I was talking about.

PRT was important in the past for saving performance but not saving ram space because all game engines have to be run with HDD in mind. So the devs opted for loading a lot of partial textures into ram, that might be ended up unused.

SF will now shine as SSD's are more common. IO of next gen consoles as well as direct storage on PC would certainly be the key factor, so game engines would stream directly from SSD.

SFS is not possible in game engines that rely on HDD's as the latency requirements for mip streaming are extremely low.

It is just that MS explained how it works and presented in a more like "all in one solution" inside the api with DX12U and called it SFS/PRT+.

Not sure if XSX has a dedicated hardware for SFS to help with the streaming though. It might be in the XVA hardware.

Edit: changed "XVA" for "direct storage" on PC

Last edited:

MrSec84

It has tier 1, tier 2 is RDNA 2. Ps5 is not full RDNA 2.0, maybe it has something that is enough for Sony adjusted to be VRS tier 2, but who knows … no real specs from Sony.

I'll just put this here:

"AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X consoles."

It's on AMD's own website, there's no explicit mention of PS5 not having any form of VRS available within RDNA2, since it has the architecture, since AMD specifically states PS5 has it then it has VRS.

As an additional thing to mention scene complexity like in the UE5 demos would require adjusting levels of detail, this means VRS is needed, PS5 was the initial system to have that LOD technology demoed on it and UE has had VRS since at least later versions of UE4, which is mentioned on the GPU Open VRS page.
This nonsense needs to stop.
PS5 is full RDNA2, it also has customizations.
Call of Duty developers confirmed PS5 has hardware based VRS and UE5 has demoed variable shading seamlessly on PS5, which is now available to all to play around with to create games.

Riky

$MSFT
I'll just put this here:

"AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X consoles."

It's on AMD's own website, there's no explicit mention of PS5 not having any form of VRS available within RDNA2, since it has the architecture, since AMD specifically states PS5 has it then it has VRS.

As an additional thing to mention scene complexity like in the UE5 demos would require adjusting levels of detail, this means VRS is needed, PS5 was the initial system to have that LOD technology demoed on it and UE has had VRS since at least later versions of UE4, which is mentioned on the GPU Open VRS page.
This nonsense needs to stop.
PS5 is full RDNA2, it also has customizations.
Call of Duty developers confirmed PS5 has hardware based VRS and UE5 has demoed variable shading seamlessly on PS5, which is now available to all to play around with to create games.

The VRS on Call Of Duty is software based, it's mentioned in the slides and compares it to hardware support in those slides.
Metro Devs stated they are using a enhanced version of their PS4 software solution multiple times now, but hardware supported VRS on Xbox one Tier 1 form. The joint statement with AMD themselves explains this fully.

MrSec84

The VRS on Call Of Duty is software based, it's mentioned in the slides and compares it to hardware support in those slides.
Metro Devs stated they are using a enhanced version of their PS4 software solution multiple times now, but hardware supported VRS on Xbox one Tier 1 form. The joint statement with AMD themselves explains this fully.
The Devs of COD stated PS5 has VRS hardware, it doesn't matter if software based is all their current game uses.

Where has 4A said PS5 is using software based VRS? I haven't seen that anywhere, provide a source please.
AMD hasn't said PS5 lacks hardware for VRS.
Also if hardware for VRS didn't exist in AMD's GPU architecture until RDNA2 then it couldn't be in XB1.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I believe microsoft are masters of marketing and confusion, sampler feedback has been in hardware on amd gpu's for years infact it was on ps4 in hardware aswell, being in hardware just helps the software process and the process is called virtual texturing, it was called mega textures in x360 days on games like rage,

Was well advertised by microsoft during xbox one events and direct x 12 as the new holy grail that will save graphics back in 2014 memory under the name tiled resources.

And now its back again with another name "sampler feedback streaming"

This is all palavar its an excuse for the slower io they have on series consoles compared to ps5 to try and convince people that its some sort of new tech thatll rival the io on ps5 which is all fraud, infact they copied the ps4 simply put the ps4 had hardware decompression and sampler feedback in hardware so microsoft must have copied that n thought sony would have gone the same route. but sony went a whole new paradigm. So for your own sake just dont be fooled by sfs it isnt new your only hope is if decompression and direct storage works as advertised.

Heres ps4's hardware decompression
And hardware virtual texturing done on ps4 a decade ago. So basically xbox copied ps4s approach testament to cernys intellect but cerny cooked different magic on ps5.
gGr81OR.png
iEGNUkB.png

He is a controversial idea, maybe just maybe the technology used in those consoles (MS and Sony) is mainly created by AMD, I know shocking. MS copied Sony...
newFile-1.jpg

Partially Resident Textures: Not Your Father’s Megatexture - AMD Radeon HD 7970 Review: 28nm And Graphics Core Next, Together As One (anandtech.com)

it's insane, how much people over value work of mr. Cerny. I am not saying that he isn't smart man, not at all, but it's mainly AMD engineers, who come up with this shit.

TBiddy

Oh weird, we were very clearly talking about @dark10x last visit.

Xbox fans ran him off.. he explicitly mentioned it.

Did you not read that part? Or just trying move the goalposts now..

Better off owning the lie.

What is this? Everyone who was around when he was chased of the board, clearly remembers what happened and who did it.

In case you forgot:

The worst part is that the offender somehow isn't banned yet.

dcmk7

Banned
What is this? Everyone who was around when he was chased of the board, clearly remembers what happened and who did it.

In case you forgot:

The worst part is that the offender somehow isn't banned yet.

Yeh like I said that should be called out too. I'm not aware of the history going back that far.

But his last post, which I remember reading at the time, was awful. There is no escaping which particular crowd he called out in that instance.

Sending stuff to his house man along with threats, that's scary stuff. Just over a plastic box.

assurdum

Banned
Sony has a big 8K badge on the outside of the box 🙄

I picked the PS5 because it’s mostly Sony fans downplaying the role the Series S fits. The people buying it aren’t on Neogaff forums giving a crap about who won the pixel race. It’s a door to next gen at an affordable price akin to entry level graphic cards on PC.
There is an 8k logo on Xbox too, pal, GPU pc also if I'm not wrong. Can't believe you try to sell such output label outside the box as Sony claim native resolution. Can you point me out at least whenever Sony has ever talked about mandatory resolution for the ps5 hardware (differently to MS)? It has many flaws but it's passed awhile from their overpromises attitude.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The Devs of COD stated PS5 has VRS hardware, it doesn't matter if software based is all their current game uses.

Where has 4A said PS5 is using software based VRS? I haven't seen that anywhere, provide a source please.
AMD hasn't said PS5 lacks hardware for VRS.
Also if hardware for VRS didn't exist in AMD's GPU architecture until RDNA2 then it couldn't be in XB1.

Provide the link for the COD Devs.
Yeah, software.

"Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today."

"The PlayStation 5, on the other hand, despite being based on RDNA 2 tech, won’t support many of the next-gen features from AMD. For the past few months, many people have been questioning PS5’s capabilities and its integration with RDNA 2. And, while Mark Cerny did state that it was based on AMD’s RDNA 2 architecture, we never got confirmation of the PS5 fully supporting all the features. However, today’s announcement confirms that the PS5 indeed isn’t on equal footing with the Xbox Series S and X when it comes to the GPU feature set."

"
What we do know is that Microsoft has had a teraflop lead in raw power when compared to PS5. A teraflop is used to measure operations per second. The Xbox Series X sits at 12 teraflops to PlayStation’s 10.3. Given that a teraflop equates to 10^2 operations per second, a 1.7 lead by Microsoft is significant. While both the Xbox Series X and PS5 share the same AMD RDNA 2 architecture, given today’s announcement, Microsoft was able to secure more capable chips.

It means that this upcoming generation of consoles should see higher fidelity ray tracing, mesh shaders, and framerate on Xbox. Even then, it will be up to developers to optimize code to maximize all that power. "

Last edited:
There is an 8k logo on Xbox too, pal, GPU pc also if I'm not wrong. Can't believe you try to sell such output label outside the box as Sony claim native resolution. Can you point me out at least whenever Sony has ever talked about mandatory resolution for the ps5 hardware (differently to MS)? It has many flaws but it's passed awhile from their overpromises attitude.
I threw the box away but I'm pretty sure there is no 8K logo on it. I remember it having 4K and 120 FPS logos only.

TBiddy

Yeh like I said that should be called out too. I'm not aware of the history going back that far.

But his last post, which I remember reading at the time, was awful. There is no escaping which particular crowd he called out in that instance.

Sending stuff to his house man along with threats, that's scary stuff. Just over a plastic box.

I agree. People are insane!

He is a controversial idea, maybe just maybe the technology used in those consoles (MS and Sony) is mainly created by AMD, I know shocking. MS copied Sony...
newFile-1.jpg

Partially Resident Textures: Not Your Father’s Megatexture - AMD Radeon HD 7970 Review: 28nm And Graphics Core Next, Together As One (anandtech.com)

it's insane, how much people over value work of mr. Cerny. I am not saying that he isn't smart man, not at all, but it's mainly AMD engineers, who come up with this shit.
Another ignorant guy amd didnt invent prt and also not sony. Go read mybposts properly dont just jump on a moving train, I said microsoft copied sony by putting hardware decompression and sfs on series xs io architecture because sony did that on ps4 when xbone didnt have hardware prt or hardware decompression. So microsoft had no idea what sony was inventing on the io side on ps5 they simply copied what they did on ps4.

That it requires a supporting display and compatible software. That's how they dodge the false marketing bullet.
Yeah it's definitely not false marketing. It's also not misleading if you're used to the normal bullshit all hardware manufacturers pull. I remember a time where TVs were advertised as having 1000 hz.

Last edited:
Yeah it's definitely not false marketing. It's also not misleading if you're used to the normal bullshit all hardware manufacturers pull. I remember a time where TVs were advertised as having 1000 hz.

Well there are such things as law suits over false marketing.

images

Last edited:

Godfavor

Correct that's what I am saying. You are still showing what PRT does.

But SFS is is not only that. It also tells the next frame which partial texture to load which is not in memory, that's sampler feedback and it is unrelated with partial textures

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Provide the link for the COD Devs.

"Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today."

"The PlayStation 5, on the other hand, despite being based on RDNA 2 tech, won’t support many of the next-gen features from AMD. For the past few months, many people have been questioning PS5’s capabilities and its integration with RDNA 2. And, while Mark Cerny did state that it was based on AMD’s RDNA 2 architecture, we never got confirmation of the PS5 fully supporting all the features. However, today’s announcement confirms that the PS5 indeed isn’t on equal footing with the Xbox Series S and X when it comes to the GPU feature set."

"
What we do know is that Microsoft has had a teraflop lead in raw power when compared to PS5. A teraflop is used to measure operations per second. The Xbox Series X sits at 12 teraflops to PlayStation’s 10.3. Given that a teraflop equates to 10^2 operations per second, a 1.7 lead by Microsoft is significant. While both the Xbox Series X and PS5 share the same AMD RDNA 2 architecture, given today’s announcement, Microsoft was able to secure more capable chips.

It means that this upcoming generation of consoles should see higher fidelity ray tracing, mesh shaders, and framerate on Xbox. Even then, it will be up to developers to optimize code to maximize all that power. "

Saying PS5 isn't RDNA 2 should be ban worthy.

Riky

$MSFT
Saying PS5 isn't RDNA 2 should be ban worthy.

Nobody said that, stop lying.

"While both the Xbox Series X and PS5 share the same AMD RDNA 2 architecture"

"The PlayStation 5, on the other hand, despite being based on RDNA 2 tech, won’t support many of the next-gen features from AMD
"
Says that in my quotes.

Last edited:

elliot5

Where did the devs say they were using Software VRS on PS5?
In the article this thread quotes from the devs only ever say they're using Tier 1 VRS in general, they never say whether it's
hardware or software based.

PS5 has VRS hardware, since it's already been confirmed to have RDNA2 architecture, with some customizations, but we've had Activision developers say that PS5 has hardware based VRS, so it's pretty silly to keep spinning this ridiculous narrative that PS5 doesn't have that technology.
I'm not trying to push any narrative. I was pulling information from the article in my recap. I should have included a quote at the time, but I was typing quickly and paraphrasing. I don't know if they edited the article after the fact, but the reason I stated the Tier 1 hardware vs software was because I saw it mentioned by 4A and thought that was notable.

Even someone who posted it on Era mentioned it in their TLDR 4A games: Next generation console are more powerful than they though and some other tidbits. | ResetEra

They definitely made the distinction. I'm not trying to push any "PS5 has no RDNA2!" schlock.

edit: Just to add a little more 'evidence' to my claim that I'm not trying to make shit up, the Eurogamer article on the comparison mentions:

"Beyond that, the Enhanced Edition's visual feature set on PlayStation 5 is entirely consistent with what we saw on Xbox Series X. It has the same level of detail, the same suite of ray traced effects, and the same trades up against the PC version. Even the limited variable rate shading support (used only on forward rendered elements of the presentation) is identical - though the implementation of it on consoles does not necessarily require hardware support. Similar to the VRS used in Call of Duty: Warzone, what we're seeing here can be achieved through exploiting the multi-sample anti-aliasing hardware within the GPU."

Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: how does PS5 compare to Xbox Series X? • Eurogamer.net

Maybe they initially called that Tier 1 (which it is) for Series and software for PS5 even though in the end the solution is all the same.

None of this matters really because it's not Tier 2 on any platform which is where there may be distinctions in methodology.

Last edited:
Top Bottom