• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

gcubed

Are we really going to go down that route? There is no way in hell the Wii U will come close to touching the overall graphical fidelity of 720/PS4 games. Running them at a quarter of the fidelity and overall assets doesn't constitute running those games like they should look like, to me...

if they are both running on an x86 architecture its another hurdle.

You guys are totally forgetting how Nintendo has strategized the price war.

The Wii U is not only able to gets ports from the 360 and PS3, it's able to have a ton of original exclusive games on it, and by the time the PS4 and 720 come out, the Wii U will not only be able to drop in price to 200 or 195.24€ ($250,) but it'll have a ton of 360/PS4 games AND Wii games, since the 720 and PS4 will not be backwards compatible. This speaks to the families and people looking to upgrade

Not only that, but its powerful enough to have practically any PS4 and 720 game, especially since MS and Sony's pockets are hurting and they can't afford any more losses on going on expensive consoles

and by the time the 720 and PS4 launch, they'll be competing with Gen 3 Wii U games that will look as good as devs figure out the new architecture. For 156.19€ ($200) people will flock even more to the Wii U, create a userbase that publishers can absolutely not ignore, and last more than a couple of years until the next Wii console launches.

i really can't tell anymore.

WiiU/XBOX3/PS4 specs are fixed. If you have an engine that can scale games between WiiU and XBOX3/PS4, then it will able to do it during the whole generation. The low end and high end won't move.

But using some particular engine doesn't automatically mean that it's optimized for this range of specs. Using UE3 doesn't mean that the game will run on this particular piece of hardware automatically just because it handled some other UE3 game. Regardless of engine, some games will necessarily push the envelope more than others.

I had no idea the next systems would be able to provide games with much better visuals than the current crop of PC games...

Wait, they won't, and that never prevented you from playing the console versions.

I really think people are setting themselves up for disapointment. Even if you have a Radeon 8970 in your next gen consoles (hint, you won't get that), you won't see such a dramatical graphical leap as you think to believe you will.

From what we know of the Wii U's CPU and RAM, it's already at a disadvantage, and that's against current gen consoles, let alone next gen consoles where some pretty reliable rumors have stated 4-8GB ram standard for 720/PS4, beastly CPUs and GPUs.

For example, Ubisoft said they're releasing Watch Dogs for both PS3 and 360, as well as "targeting" next gen systems, which we all know the demo was most likely indicative of their next gen target.

360/PS3 won't even come close to looking that good. Wii U will be in the same situation. Hell, if a Wii U version of Star Wars 1313 can look as good as that demo (which is also targeted at PC/next gen systems), I will eat my penis.

You guys also forget that Nintendo can just overclocked the WiiU with a firmware update.

If the CPU is really an issue, they can fix it.

And it doesnt make sense the Power supply can supply 75 watts but it just uses 35 watts power? That means in the future Nintendo can just enable another 35 watts by overclock and double the Wii Us power.

Meelow

Banned
You guys are totally forgetting how Nintendo has strategized the price war.

The Wii U is not only able to gets ports from the 360 and PS3, it's able to have a ton of original exclusive games on it, and by the time the PS4 and 720 come out, the Wii U will not only be able to drop in price to 200 or $250, but it'll have a ton of 360/PS4 games AND Wii games, since the 720 and PS4 will not be backwards compatible. This speaks to the families and people looking to upgrade

Not only that, but its powerful enough to have practically any PS4 and 720 game, especially since MS and Sony's pockets are hurting and they can't afford any more losses on going on expensive consoles

and by the time the 720 and PS4 launch, they'll be competing with Gen 3 Wii U games that will look as good as devs figure out the new architecture. For $200 people will flock even more to the Wii U, create a userbase that publishers can absolutely not ignore, and last more than a couple of years until the next Wii console launches.

its the blue ocean strategy Nintendo has used since N64 and theyve done nothing but win. If it were a choosable tactic in Starcraft it would be a "win" button

If you are being serious then I agree, I see a lot of people saying "if they (PS4/720) don't gave BC then I am not buying" If it doesn't have that then it could hurt, I feel some people are too focused on the PS4/720 specs and not what they will offer.

And if all goes wrong my Wii U will be for Indie/Japanese/Ubisoft/Activision games and the rest I will get on my PS4 or Xbox 720.

Fularu

Banned
But using some particular engine doesn't automatically mean that it's optimized for this range of specs. Using UE3 doesn't mean that the game will run on this particular piece of hardware automatically just because it handled some other UE3 game. Regardless of engine, some games will necessarily push the envelope more than others.

UE4 was made scalable from what I understand (to run from smartphones to high end PC/consoles). I somehow doubt, with the vast majority of the gaming industry using UE3 (and probably soon, UE4) that they won't be able to make WiiU version of UE games.

Does UE need optimizing for the WiiU? Yeah, probably, and I'm prety sure Epic isn't going to let that market slip this time.

The FXAA looks terrible. The artstyle with lots of clean lines on alien architecture leads to some nasty temporal aliasing.

But that's it really. I miss the geometric skyboxes and Halo 3 HDR, but sacrifices had to be made I guess.

I definitely agree that there was a sacrifice to get the engine to look so good. Gameplay wise I really missed the skyboxes and open areas.

And it doesnt make sense the Power supply can supply 75 watts but it just uses 35 watts power? That means in the future Nintendo can just enable another 35 watts by overclock and double the Wii Us power.

True, the WiiU basically has a lifespan even greater than the P360 built into the design of the system.

Forget 10 year cycle, we are looking at 15 years.

So you're saying that MS or SOny making you pay 100$ for a 40$ drive is good for the consumer?

What?

I can buy any 2.5 inch HDD and put in my PS3 today so i don't know what your trying to say .
My point is some people would be more willing to buy on DD if the HDD is already in the system compare to buying one separate .

Meelow

Banned
True, the WiiU basically has a lifespan even greater than the P360 built into the design of the system.

I rather the Wii U last 6 years then 15 for sure, it would be too boring, for example people are already begging for the next Xbox because the 360 been out for 7 years and it's become boring without new hardware.

Fularu

Banned
Yep. Guy is getting scalability and portability mixed up.
Porting your code is one thing, making a scalable engine an another. By this time, devs should have a prety good grasp on the PPC architecture for porting to not be an issue (especially with the 360 beeing on a PPC architecture).

UE4 was made scalable from what I understand (to run from smartphones to high end PC/consoles). I somehow doubt, with the vast majority of the gaming industry using UE3 (and probably soon, UE4) that they won't be able to make WiiU version of UE games.

Does UE need optimizing for the WiiU? Yeah, probably, and I'm prety sure Epic isn't going to let that market slip this time.

I don't really feel like we're having a very fruitful conversation. The fact that an engine can scale doesn't mean that everything designed using that engine is infinitely scalable. The fact that a UE4 game can run on a smartphone does not mean that every UE4 game will run well on a smartphone. That's not what scalability of an engine implies.

I rather the Wii U last 6 years then 15 for sure, it would be too boring, for example people are already begging for the next Xbox because the 360 been out for 7 years and it's become boring without new hardware.

Yes, but this is a business. Nintendo is selling the WiiU at a loss. They'll need to keep it in the market longer to make profit

Definitely, Nintendo systems bring a lot of long term value to consumers, I mean, I still have my NES. I bet nobody has a playstation or xbox that old.

Kade

Goddamn the troll quality around here has taken a fucking nosedive

Get your asses over to FYAD and learn a thing or two

YOSPOS is where the master trolls toil and tinker and tell computer jokes, actually. FYAD is all sandwich and anime discussion.

If you are being serious then I agree, I see a lot of people saying "if they (PS4/720) don't gave BC then I am not buying" If it doesn't have that then it could hurt, I feel some people are too focused on the PS4/720 specs and not what they will offer.

And if all goes wrong my Wii U will be for Indie/Japanese/Ubisoft/Activision games and the rest I will get on my PS4 or Xbox 720.

Why wouldnt I be serious? Nintendo has been doing games for 25 years. billions of people have played their games and millions of people own tablets. They know what they're doing.

farnham

Banned
Whoever planned to buy a wiiu due to thirad party support should now be very clear that third party support will not happen. If you anticipated metro or battle field on wiiu you will be dissapointed and you should not buy the wiiu...but somehow i doubt people that are buying the wiiu right now are buying it for other purposes

Whoever planned to buy a wiiu due to thirad party support should now be very clear that third party support will not happen. If you anticipated metro or battle field on wiiu you will be dissapointed and you should not buy the wiiu...but somehow i doubt people that are buying the wiiu right now are buying it for other purposes

You never know with Nintendo and secrets. They don't like to announce things until it's the last moment.

For all we know Metro: Last Light and BF4 might be announced Dec 10

farnham

Banned
I don't really feel like we're having a very fruitful conversation. The fact that an engine can scale doesn't mean that everything designed using that engine is infinitely scalable. The fact that a UE4 game can run on a smartphone does not mean that every UE4 game will run well on a smartphone. That's not what scalability of an engine implies.

Ue4 will work on smartphones but not on wiiu.

And guess what people who will buy wiiu will not give a shit if wiiu runs ue4 or not since they will buy it for the next mario or wii sports

farnham

Banned
You never know with Nintendo and secrets. They don't like to announce things until it's the last moment.

For all we know Metro: Last Light and BF4 might be announced Dec 10

Not really. Nintendos strategy should be to expand their own IP portfolio and not to try to get third parties... Because frankly they will rather go bankrupt then develop for nintendo

Meelow

Banned
Not really. Nintendos strategy should be to expand their own IP portfolio and not to try to get third parties... Because frankly they will rather go bankrupt then develop for nintendo

oh_you.jpg

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
You're killing the joke by making it this obvious. Probably doing it intentionally

It's been a post-launch news meltdown in slow motion, he's just doing the forum equivalent of Three Stooges slapping of his own head right about now.

Rayis

I don't understand why Nintendo didn't just give the Wii U a competent CPU with fast RAM, it shouldn't be that hard to do nowadays ughhh Nintendo, you're making it very hard for me to like you right now

Top Bottom