• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

Kade

Shit.

When major developers start saying openly that they think the lifespan is going to be short, it makes me want to return the system. Not sure if I want a launch version of something that isn't going to last me very long.

idk.

The lifespan will be as long as Nintendo wants it to be which I imagine is the same lifespan as the Wii. It'll last.

Well, I'd say it's less that you have a narrow viewpoint, and more that the areas in which people argue have gotten decidedly narrow.

It's just that I suspect that won't hold true when we hit E3 and are seeing the latest showpieces from Microsoft and Sony.

With the way the graphics pipeline is designed in DX11, your software technology can have incredibly dramatic effects on visual quality notably beyond what we've seen this generation since the graphics pipeline is no longer heavily fixed function.

If they do have very similar machines, the differences might still appear to be quite large if one of them has a superior engine, artists who understand how to work with the strength of their engine, and/or a game design that allows them to push more visually (such as being decidedly linear versus a large open world where you can go anywhere).

At that point, we might have people having a huge debate over hardware quality when the hardware is the same three parts with minor modifications, when the real answer is the people working with it. It also means that if one of them starts out strong, the other could actually seem to take a large leap ahead just on the strength of engine technology instead of having a set in stone hardware dominance, meaning that we see a lot more sudden perception shifts, which can cause sustained arguments.

I never took into account that the closer they are in power would be a caveat for more insane arguments. It makes sense too because no console will ever really be a clear winner so any little scrap either side can get they will take.

This is going to get ugly

aeolist

Banned
For me the focus on high-budget AAA games is confusing.

Sure, once the new Xbox and Playstation consoles come out people will be making their big ambitious projects there and ignoring the Wii U, but that's a shrinking segment of the market with fewer players and releases every year. Mass market, indie, and downloadable-focused titles are growing and will continue to grow as long as costs keep rising, and those are designed to run on everything. Japanese studios especially will be heading this direction, I think.

LeleSocho

Banned
The lifespan will be as long as Nintendo wants it to be which I imagine is the same lifespan as the Wii. It'll last.

not true and the wii proves it, its life has lasted until 2010 then aside a resurrection of few hours for zelda ss it remained dead. For 2 years there was nothing but dust for it.

Sure, once the new Xbox and Playstation consoles come out people will be making their big ambitious projects there and ignoring the Wii U, but that's a shrinking segment of the market with fewer players and releases every year. Mass market, indie, and downloadable-focused titles are growing and will continue to grow as long as costs keep rising, and those are designed to run on everything. Japanese studios especially will be heading this direction, I think.

WiiU can handle games that are developed for PS4 and Durango

KageMaru

"Programmers who follow Nintendo philosophy of honour and efficiency"

Hahaha, oh wow.

I don't know if you're laughing at me, but for me it's getting hard to tell who is joking and who's being serious. =p

Guys,

WiiU is able to take the lastest and greatest 360 games and in a matter of weeks get them up and running.

That's power no matter how you look at it.

Xbox 360 might be 6 years old, but games like blops2 and AC3 certainly weren't around then

Assuming you're serious (you are serious, right?) that all depends on your definition of "up and running". I've had plenty of PC games up and running over the years, but that doesn't mean they are running great by any measure. I would imagine most systems with a more straight forward design could have games up and running in a mater of weeks.

Developers are normal people that dosn't know shit of we're the market is gonna go. Initial support for the Wii U may be not there but if the market responds those developers will have to eat crow and make games for it...

At worst the Wii U situation will be similar to the Wii, something that is far from ideal for a lot of people but very far too form the fact is gonna dissapear in the next 2 years...
true. I have some things to think about, it seems.

It just feels like...I don't know...like this system is going to get the shaft from 3rd parties. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise...but idk. Just feels kinda bad right now.

Is Halo4 an Xbox360 game?

Then yes, WiiU could handle it easily, since WiiUis more powerful than 360

Is more powerful but more than half 360 ports performes worse on Wii U. So you saying that with the more advanced 360 game in would be different?.

Wii U is more powerful that 360 in certain areas and not in others. Halo 4 could be better in some aspects but worse in others...basically a current gen console.

aeolist

Banned

That's what I just said, if you're talking about lower-end stuff. I don't doubt that Wii would have seen a lot of PSN and XBLA's notable releases if the architecture had been more in line with the more PC-style components of the PS360 and if they'd had a viable online presence.

Games designed to push the limits of newer, higher-end consoles by definition will not run on weaker hardware like the Wii U, but I don't think there's going to be nearly as many of those titles over the next 5 years.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Halo 4 looks so gorgeous. I cant imagine what beef anyone could have with that game on a visual level. I almost want to find the thread to see how wacky some of the people were getting.
The FXAA looks terrible. The artstyle with lots of clean lines on alien architecture leads to some nasty temporal aliasing.

But that's it really. I miss the geometric skyboxes and Halo 3 HDR, but sacrifices had to be made I guess.

Blades64

Banned

Woe brah. I'm a Wii U fan, but how do you know this? We don't know squat. If the Wii U gets games from Durango and PS4, I'd imagine there would have to be a lot of compromises to get it running. Maybe like the first Xbox to Dreamcast kinda level.

Speevy

Banned
There are three things to me that make any Nintendo system worthwhile.

I've owned every Nintendo console system and a few of their handhelds.

1) Nintendo games - This is the first thing, one that you can't take away. Nintendo makes great games, ones that you can't get from other developers.

2) Games (not from Nintendo) for the kid at heart. I love it when third parties release something for Nintendo platforms that might seem a bit risky it were released for the edgier/more powerful consoles. Sadly, developer confidence is a factor in whether these games even get produced, and the companies making them are more risk-averse than ever.

3) Great controllers - Nintendo has nearly always set the standard for terrific control schemes. Analog sticks, controllers that are comfortable to hold, unique ways of interfacing with games. Unfortunately, this time they've sort of concocted a mix of several different ideas that they've used in the past (touch screen, motion controls, different screens for different players) into one pot. And judging by the reviews so far, most of the chefs don't know how to read the recipe.

The thing I love the most about Nintendo systems is that they've always been a haven for single player games. Yes, there are great multiplayer Nintendo games, but I can always look forward to a single player experience.

So while I wouldn't necessarily write off the Wii U, I will say that for the first time, I'm not sure what Nintendo hopes to accomplish with its new system.

Blades64

Banned
Anywho, I'm personally just gonna wait for the second batch of games, What Retro is doing, What EAD Tokyo is doing, etc. Then maybe I can have an idea of how powerful the Wii U really is. Hopefully by the time we get late in the Wii U's cycle, we'll have some really nice looking stuff. The lighting in Nintendo Land and Zombi U is already a step in the right direction. :)

KissVibes

Banned
Since many of you seem to be better developers than this gentlemen who worked on Metro: Last Light and the DICE employee, why don't you all get together and make a game more technically impressive than Metro 2033 and Battlefield 3 (the 360 versions, Wii U can't best the PC version) for the Wii U. Then, you'll prove they were wrong and be rich as fuck too since you'll be one of the best Wii U development teams ever.

Or we can all actually listen to what developers have to say instead of accusing them of not knowing anything, being lazy, or whatever else people would like to say about them.

I cannot wait until E3 2013. I hope you haven't gotten yourself banned by then because I'm amassing a folder of laughing gifs.

KageMaru

I never took into account that the closer they are in power would be a caveat for more insane arguments. It makes sense too because no console will ever really be a clear winner so any little scrap either side can get they will take.

This is going to get ugly

You can look at this gen for a good example. Both systems are pretty even but with different strengths and weaknesses. Art and engine efficiency make all the difference these days. So even though most high end console engines today have many similarities, people still assume one game is more impressive or demanding than the next when that's hardly the case. As with everything with a limited budget, it's all about give and take.

I expect this to continue next gen for sure as Nirolak has pointed out.

IMO a lot of it depends on the direction MS and Sony take next gen. If they can follow Nintendo's route of free patches and more freedom in their digital stores, I see no reason why mass market and indie developers couldn't find a good home on next gen consoles.

Halo 4 looks so gorgeous. I cant imagine what beef anyone could have with that game on a visual level. I almost want to find the thread to see how wacky some of the people were getting.

Basically it boiled down to sony fans getting defensive over a 360 game being compared to high end PS3 games while 360 fans were getting hyperbolic over how good Halo 4 looked. It was ugly on both sides with many useless comparisons, OT posts, and eye rolling statements.

Search for it if you want a good laugh. =p

Guys,

Nintendo has not released the full specs for a reason.

Not because it has weak specs, but it's to weed out the poor developers from the truly gifted ones, ones that can claim they are qaulified to develop for WiiU. There is no more pride for a developer than in the fact they can say thet were able to make a game run on the WiiU.

The launch titles were just a test to see which third parties are qualified. Only Treyach and Ubisoft have passed. They will be given full specs any moment now.

Get ready for next gen :)

Fularu

Banned
How'd you get your hands on the PS4 and Durango so early!? Come on man don't hold out on us, do tell.

Scalability. It exists in PC gaming for a reason. No matter how much more powerfull the next consoles from MS and Sony will be, with proper scalable tools, making a WiiU version won't be difficult *at all*.

AAA games are mass market games saying otherwise is foolish .
Cost is going to rise but publisher will have way more ways of making money .

Wii U not having a HDD is going to hurt them in the long run IMO .
Just having games day one on DD going to help publishers also .

I wonder how much extra cash they going to making once more people start buying on DD @ 60 bucks .

Guys,

Not because it has weak specs, but it's to weed out the poor developers from the truly gifted ones, ones that can claim they are qaulified to develop for WiiU. There is no more pride for a developer than in the fact they can say thet were able to make a game run on the WiiU.

The launch titles were just a test to see which third parties are qualified. Only Treyach and Ubisoft have passed. They will be given full specs any moment now.

So... joke poster. Dammit! I've been had!

Meelow

Banned
Shit.

When major developers start saying openly that they think the lifespan is going to be short, it makes me want to return the system. Not sure if I want a launch version of something that isn't going to last me very long.

idk.

It's going to last 6 years like the Wii, Nintendo won't pull a Sega and release the Wii U 2 in 4 years.

aeolist

Banned
Guys,

Too obvious dude, tone it down some

Fularu

Banned
AAA games are mass market games saying otherwise is foolish .
Cost is going to rise but publisher will have way more ways of making money .

Wii U not having a HDD is going to hurt them in the long run IMO .
Just having games day one on DD going to help publishers also .

You can plug your own HDD that you buy on the cheap. I mean your statement regarding HDDs is ridiculous. There's a lot of things to complain about regarding the WiiU, HDDs isn't one of them.

Scalability. It exists in PC gaming for a reason. No matter how much more powerfull the next consoles from MS and Sony will be, with proper scalable tools, making a WiiU version won't be difficult *at all*.

Yes, but it's not as though scaling is infinite. Those minimum specs are a moving target over time.

i-Lo

Absolutely. I don't know why people are still waiting for consoles from companies that are financially troubled. For all we know both of the next gen systems may be glorified tv set top entertainment boxes that do gaming "on the side", unlike Nintendo who have created a dedicated gaming machine. As such, the GPU performance in PS4/Durango could be very comparable to that of WiiU's. It would be unwise for devs to hold out hope for more power from PS4/XB3. Instead they should make WiiU their next gen lead platform because by the time PS4/XB3 come out WiiU would have sold like 10-20 million units.

And remember, even if the ports are visually less stellar than PS4/XB3 version on the off chance that they are more powerful, the WiiU will still offer better gameplay thanks to its:
  • Less power consumption enabling greater playtime
  • Artists will compensate for greater power by making the WiiU version more artistically stimulating
  • Gamepad will offer more unique experience

Watch these same developers crawl to Nintendo for forgiveness for shaming their honour when they realize that to make money they need to cater to the next gen console that'll have 100% of market share compared to its competitors. You'll see a ton of pandering and flip flopping about CPU then. These devs will see the light and realize that Nintendo's approach to hardware was the wisest one.

Meelow

Banned
Who plays third party games on a nintendo system?

Who plays third party games and online on the PS3 when we have the 360? and who plays exclusive games on the 360?

you can kinda make it go for everything.

Absolutely. I don't know why people are still waiting for consoles from companies that are financially troubled. For all we know both of the next gen systems may be glorified tv set top entertainment boxes that do gaming "on the side", unlike Nintendo who have created a dedicated gaming machine. As such, the GPU performance in PS4/Durango could be very comparable to that of WiiU's. It would be unwise for devs to hold out hope for more power from PS4/XB3. Instead they should make WiiU their next gen lead platform because by the time PS4/XB3 come out WiiU would have sold like 10-20 million units.

And remember, even if the ports are visually less stellar than PS4/XB3 version on the off chance that they are more powerful, the WiiU will still offer better gameplay thanks to its:
  • Less power consumption enabling greater playtime
  • Artists will compensate for greater power by making the WiiU version more artistically stimulating
  • Gamepad will offer more unique experience

Watch these same developers crawl to Nintendo for forgiveness for shaming their honour when they realize that to make money they need to cater to the next gen console that'll have 100% of market share compared to its competitors. You'll see a ton of pandering and flip flopping about CPU then. These devs will see the light and realize that Nintendo's approach to hardware was the wisest one.

Really?

Fularu

Banned
Yes, but it's not as though scaling is infinite. Those minimum specs are a moving target over time.

They already have scalable engines. Think of next Xbox/PS consoles as current PC games and WiiU ports as current gen console games.

If they can do it now, there's 0 (yes, 0) reasons it can't be done for the WiiU versions.

Just as an observation -- no backseat modding intended -- but I do think that there's an over-saturation of joke posting about how awesome the Wii U limitations are. Just in this poster's humble opinion.

Guys,

Ahh very we'll played you almost had me!

Too obvious dude, tone it down some

Do you not remember the n64 and the dream team?

Nintendo wanted to form a super elite group of developers that exclusive publish on N64. It didn't work out too well though. But they have a chance now with WiiU.

There test then cost them third party support, but they modified the test now by allowing everyone have access to the dev kits, not just an elite few.

That's why scrubs like the metro developer got an "early look" and DICE can only lean about the WiiU from "reports around the industry".

Are we really going to go down that route? There is no way in hell the Wii U will come close to touching the overall graphical fidelity of 720/PS4 games. Running them at a quarter of the fidelity and overall assets doesn't constitute running those games like they should look like, to me...

sp3000

I don't think you have any idea what scalability actually means.

You seem to be forgetting that PowerPC and x86 are totally different architectures.

It requires serious amounts of money and time to change between

They already have scalable engines. Think of next Xbox/PS consoles as current PC games and WiiU ports as current gen console games.

If they can do it now, there's 0 (yes, 0) reasons it can't be done for the WiiU versions.

For now, but over time, the low end can become a moving target. Nobody is saying that it literally can't be done that a game targeted for the next Xbox can't also be ported to the Wii U. But just because it's theoretically possible doesn't mean that such a limit as to the necessary low-end that must be accommodated has to stay right where it is now. Doing so may not fit in with their design goals once more machines (i.e. two new consoles and more people with upgraded PC hardware) can do better than what's out there now.

You guys are totally forgetting how Nintendo has strategized the price war.

The Wii U is not only able to gets ports from the 360 and PS3, it's able to have a ton of original exclusive games on it, and by the time the PS4 and 720 come out, the Wii U will not only be able to drop in price to 200 or $250, but it'll have a ton of 360/PS4 games AND Wii games, since the 720 and PS4 will not be backwards compatible. This speaks to the families and people looking to upgrade

Not only that, but its powerful enough to have practically any PS4 and 720 game, especially since MS and Sony's pockets are hurting and they can't afford any more losses on going on expensive consoles

and by the time the 720 and PS4 launch, they'll be competing with Gen 3 Wii U games that will look as good as devs figure out the new architecture. For $200 people will flock even more to the Wii U, create a userbase that publishers can absolutely not ignore, and last more than a couple of years until the next Wii console launches.

its the blue ocean strategy Nintendo has used since N64 and theyve done nothing but win. If it were a choosable tactic in Starcraft it would be a "win" button

Fularu

Banned
Are we really going to go down that route? There is no way in hell the Wii U will come close to touching the overall graphical fidelity of 720/PS4 games. Running them at a quarter of the fidelity and overall assets doesn't constitute running those games like they should look like, to me...

I had no idea the next systems would be able to provide games with much better visuals than the current crop of PC games...

Wait, they won't, and that never prevented you from playing the console versions.

I really think people are setting themselves up for disapointment. Even if you have a Radeon 8970 in your next gen consoles (hint, you won't get that), you won't see such a dramatical graphical leap as you think to believe you will.

You can plug your own HDD that you buy on the cheap. I mean your statement regarding HDDs is ridiculous. There's a lot of things to complain about regarding the WiiU, HDDs isn't one of them.

It not ridiculous at all it's a extra piece of hardware .
Which i know some people won't buy but if was there they would buy more games on DD .

Fularu

Banned
For now, but over time, the low end can become a moving target. Nobody is saying that it literally can't be done that a game targeted for the next Xbox can't also be ported to the Wii U. But just because it's theoretically possible doesn't mean that such a limit as to the necessary low-end that must be accommodated has to stay right where it is now. Doing so may not fit in with their design goals once more machines (i.e. two new consoles and more people with upgraded PC hardware) can do better than what's out there now.

WiiU/XBOX3/PS4 specs are fixed. If you have an engine that can scale games between WiiU and XBOX3/PS4, then it will able to do it during the whole generation. The low end and high end won't move.

hatchx

Banned
Guys,

lol

I'm sorry this trollololing, albeit hilarious, really degrades discussion.

Top Bottom