• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

AmyS

Wow. Now I really gotta pick up Metro Redux. I've never played 2033 or Last Light, on any platform before.

My poor wallet this Fall! I passed up buying a certain 'Definitive' Edition remaster of totally different game since the consensus was that (yes, I mean SD) was really terrible and rushed port.

Yet, Metro Redux seems to be the complete opposite in terms of overall quality. 4A Games / Deep Silver can count on another sale.

Plus, gotta support 60fps console gaming :)

Cubed

I actually just earned the Platinum for 2033 on Saturday.

I'll hop to Last Light this winter when I burn out on GTA V for PS4 and before Bloodborne comes out.

Clockwork5

Having this shipped from gamelfy since they refused to send me a game that I actually wanted to play. As if you couldn't tell, I'm not terribly excited to get into this but I'm fair so I will give it a chance.

Not a fan of pure survival horror. (Alien did nothing but make me nervous and swear at my television) But I really enjoyed TLOU as a TPS / Survival Horror synthesis. I see mixed impressions everywhere so I am just going to have to dive in.

One question, is one of the games far and away better than the other? I may just play one of the titles if that is the case.

Cudder

Having this shipped from gamelfy since they refused to send me a game that I actually wanted to play. As if you couldn't tell, I'm not terribly excited to get into this but I'm fair so I will give it a chance.

Not a fan of pure survival horror. (Alien did nothing but make me nervous and swear at my television) But I really enjoyed TLOU as a TPS / Survival Horror synthesis. I see mixed impressions everywhere so I am just going to have to dive in.

One question, is one of the games far and away better than the other? I may just play one of the titles if that is the case.

Don't worry, you can play it as an all out action game if you want. They're both super solid games.

So my SO is playing it on PS4 atm and the disc drive sounds like it's spinning the whole time. Is that supposed to happen? I thought PS4 games installed completely to the HD and only used the discs for verification?

He's about 10 minutes in.

Clockwork5

So I have jumped in to Metro 2033. Yeah!!! Only a few hours in and I can tell that I have not really hit the survival mechanics, they have been introduced but I have not gotten into item rationing and such yet, but I am really enjoying it so far. Just soaking in the atmosphere and story has been an unexpected treat! I am playing on survivor setting and normal difficulty, if it maintains a decent risk / reward balance I expect to enjoy the title and dive right in to the sequel! Not sure why I had such doubts about this release but I am glad i gave it a go :)

Cudder

So I have jumped in to Metro 2033. Yeah!!! Only a few hours in and I can tell that I have not really hit the survival mechanics, they have been introduced but I have not gotten into item rationing and such yet, but I am really enjoying it so far. Just soaking in the atmosphere and story has been an unexpected treat! I am playing on survivor setting and normal difficulty, if it maintains a decent risk / reward balance I expect to enjoy the title and dive right in to the sequel! Not sure why I had such doubts about this release but I am glad i gave it a go :)

Glad you're liking it. You don't have to worry about item management on Normal though, that's pretty much reserved for the higher difficulties.

Finished Last Light Redux, still as great as it was the first time. Managed to get the Redemption ending this time around, taking my time more and just listening to this vibrant world 4A created. It's insane how detailed and lived-in it feels. The oppressive atmosphere you get, both inside the Metro and on the surface, is unparallelled. Absolutely fantastic.

Game is still a looker, too. Had to turn off Tesselation to hit a smooth 60, but damn, it's just so pretty.

287390_2014-11-01_000alpun.png

So my SO is playing it on PS4 atm and the disc drive sounds like it's spinning the whole time. Is that supposed to happen? I thought PS4 games installed completely to the HD and only used the discs for verification?

He's about 10 minutes in.

This seems to happen with specific games. Diablo Ultimate Evil Edition is a pretty big offender for this.

Then games like Shadow of Mordor are "whisper quiet".

I've neglected Metro Redux as of late so I need to get back into it. Not sure how the drive noises fare with this game. I was freaking out over being attacked by some beasts and haven't picked it up since.

Yeah, I paid full price when it first dropped, and already it was a reasonably priced title.

I am very happy to have given the dev my money for this one.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, I paid full price when it first dropped, and already it was a reasonably priced title.

I am very happy to have given the dev my money for this one.

Same here. It went on sale far quicker than I had anticipated, but this is everything I want to see in a remaster/redux and it was an absolute joy to replay these. The improvements to Metro 2033 were just amazing. I have no qualms about dropping $50 on this set eventhough it already dropped to $35 a few times.

Consider it done! £20 for two games seems like a bargain compared to some other shooters I could mention.

Screenshot2014110511.png

You made a good choice my friend.

MBison

This has probably been answered and if so, sorry

I thought redux was 50% off to owners of the originals but the discount doesn't show up when I try to purchase?

Thanks

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This has probably been answered and if so, sorry

I thought redux was 50% off to owners of the originals but the discount doesn't show up when I try to purchase?

Thanks

It was on steam if you pre-ordered.

Post launch? No. Kinda sucks for that reason.

Quikies83

Picked this up for Xbox One after playing the original on PC, what feels like forever ago and I have fallen back in love.. The framerate and performance are perfect. With Russian voice on, I am completely immersed.
Am at the mission to reach The Library right now.

I can't wait to get to Last Light.

Alpende

Just finished Last Light for the last time and I hope they make more of these games. Those parts on the surface felt tense, I wanted to get the hell back in the Metro every time I went up.

Fuck those spiders, the crawling sound they make is scary as fuck.

spoilers for the end

What the hell? I was a moral good person, gave money, saved people, didn't execute people, and still got the bad ending?

Just finished 2033. Really liked it. It took me a little while too get into it. Also had to get used to the feel of the movement on ps4. Had to turn the sensitivity all the way up too.

On to Last Light. It's a direct sequel to 2033?

Picked this up during the sale on PSN and played through around three hours last night, started it this morning and my save file is now gone and it's giving me a black screen after the intro before the main menu kicks in

what the heck

Aspiring

Picked this up during the sale on PSN and played through around three hours last night, started it this morning and my save file is now gone and it's giving me a black screen after the intro before the main menu kicks in

what the heck

It's the same for me. Got it for Christmas. Put it in today and it gets to the but where it says it inspired by the books and the logos etc, than goes black and stays there. I am guessing it's just before main menu. When I quit I get an error code. Does the same for 2033 or Last light. Any help? It's the disc version.

So I just bought this, I load it up and it starts in something like 640x420 resolution, and if I try and change resolution it crashes. This is a steam copy btw, has anyone heard of this?

Enilced2

It's the same for me. Got it for Christmas. Put it in today and it gets to the but where it says it inspired by the books and the logos etc, than goes black and stays there. I am guessing it's just before main menu. When I quit I get an error code. Does the same for 2033 or Last light. Any help? It's the disc version.

I'm getting the same issue... Is it maybe related to the psn outage?

Been trying to make it through the audio book of Metro 2033 for over a month now. Currently just past the half way point.

It's... Its a pretty uneven experience.

The dialog and world building can be downright incredible at times, but Artyom himself is... Well I guess he's just a vessel for the reader or something because he's devoid any real personality or sense of self.
Also, the author will repeatedly go on tangents about the world and such. It begins to get tedious and you wish the plot would just move forward. Very meandering.
My first audio book though as it came dirt cheap with my kindle copy. Realized that there's no way in hell I could actually read this thing, which is fine as the narrator in the audio book is excellent.

I started playing LL's dlc and damn... I'm starting to realize that the Metro LL is kinda shitty at firefights. The exaggerated flinch + AI bullet spam is horrible. I always saw firefights as failstates in the campaign so having dlc missions revolving around them is just painful.

Heatseeker2

Neo Member
Couple hours into 2033. Enjoying it so far. Reminds me of half life 2 meets the last of us.

Having just finished 2033 myself tonight, I couldn't agree more on the half-life 2feeling I got going through the entire game. Played on survival.

Although I usually five into games on the hardest difficulty first, ranger mode was almost impossible especially with the lack of tutorial and button clues. Having never played metro I quickly switched to normal.

Stormus

Just beat Metro: Redux for the first time this week. 2033 is a solid game -- the story mostly kept me interested. Last Light was highly impressive. Expands upon first story and improved basically every aspect of 2033. Got it for $35 total too. Best purchase of the year so far! (not saying much ha)

Having just finished 2033 myself tonight, I couldn't agree more on the half-life 2feeling I got going through the entire game. Played on survival.

Although I usually five into games on the hardest difficulty first, ranger mode was almost impossible especially with the lack of tutorial and button clues. Having never played metro I quickly switched to normal.

Beat Ranger and yeah, the lack of button Prompts for even basic things was just annoying. The difficulty was perfect tho. Loved how you and everyone else were glass cannons. Kinda bullshit there's no trophy or achievment for completing the game on it.

Dries

Wow, beginning Metro 2033 Redux on Ranger mode is really confusing if you've never played the game before. I feel that by partially disabling the HUD and UI you also remove the tutorial prompts.

Dries

Guys, if I upgrade my weapons will I keep those upgrades if i buy (or find) the same weapon somewhere else later on?

carl32

Banned
I picked this up from Sainsburys £14.99 (PS4), I wasn't that keen at first, i nearly gave up, seemed to drag on with not much happening but after hour i clicked with it and are really enjoying it now, the atmosphere is great and graphics are beautiful at times. What a bargain.

Top Bottom