• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime probably did not run on Unreal Engine 2

Hang on Epic, i thought you said your unreal engine wouldnt work on the wii ?

Or were they just referring to unreal engine 3 ?

Nice job retro of true, looks nothing like a ue engine game, and runs smooth, had me fooled

If any part of that engine is UE2 based, it isn't copy and pasted, otherwise Epic would have their name all over it.

Judging from the screens of the editor, I would say there is little if any Unreal in the final version. That isn't to say that they didn't research the editor and integrate features into their own engine but judging from the lack of Epic acknowledgement, there is no Epic code in that engine. (hence some of the similar terminology, but Unreal is not the only engine that uses the term "cooked". If i am not mistaken, Torchlight uses this term as well.

Bullza2o

I guess this was an impressive feat? That means Nintendo/Retro can definitely make an awesome-looking HD Metroid!

StuBurns

Banned
Hang on Epic, i thought you said your unreal engine wouldnt work on the wii ?

Or were they just referring to unreal engine 3 ?

Nice job retro of true, looks nothing like a ue engine game, and runs smooth, had me fooled
They said it's below their specifications for UE3, but Rein suggested he expected publishers to port UE3 games to the Wii, it just wouldn't get official support.

Ocaso

It's an interesting find if true, but I have a hard time believing the licensing terms could have allowed them to use the engine without acknowledging it anywhere.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
This isn't hard to believe. Retro would have conquered the texture loading and pop-in by using the elevator cutscenes and doors that would not open until the game was absolutely ready. Clever stuff, devs these days don't seem to care as much - swapping loading interruptions for streaming hiccups?

Hopefully this'll prove to a few people that the developers make their games shine, no matter the engine. BALD SPACE MARINES

They said it's below their specifications for UE3, but Rein suggested he expected publishers to port UE3 games to the Wii, it just wouldn't get official support.

Yup.

Should be regarded as false until the alleged UnrealScript files actually are extracted. There's nothing UE-specific about having a folder named "cooked", it's just one huge ridiculous extrapolation.

I know it's hard to doubt the expertise of "some guy on the internet", though.

So "cooking it" is essentially compressing it into like an old school WAD file?
No, it's preparing your data structures for minimal runtime fixup. Ie. the difference between parsing a text file and constructing a class vs just reading a data structure directly off of disk and casting the resultant buffer to the desired type.

Orayn

Holy hell, I was always kind of curious about this. Does this mean Epic has been getting some Nintendo royalties all these years?

rabhw

Now that this thread brings it up, I've always suspected The Witcher 2 used UE3 as a base. The directory structure / filenames is identical to UE3 games, and also contain the "cookedpc" folders that you mention regarding Metroid Prime.

so UE need to be extremly modified to be beautifull?

Unreal Championship 2 is one of the best looking games released within the previous generation, so hi sorry.
emot-frogout.gif

NBtoaster

Really doubtful this is true, considering it would be one of the very first UE2 games. They would not have had it modified that much and with zero mention of the engine in the game within a year of the engine first being used.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I don't see that being true, or certainly don't consider this definitive proof, neat though it would be.

My manlove for Prime 1 knows no bounds (and I have a beautiful sort of love/hate relationship with Prime 2).

Anyone else remember watching the IGN preview videos before the game came out? I was floored by just how gorgeous a 3D realization it was of that world. And then the game came out and did not disappoint one bit.

Tain

I don't buy it. UE2 would mean that all the geometry would need to be subtractive (those tool shots don't look like that's what's going on), and I don't think UE2 was all that good at having maps made entirely out of static meshes (unlike UE3).

That said, I'd bet that it isn't impossible for awesome programmers to make an excellent version of UE2 for GC hardware and gotten similar results to Prime, but I'm just not seeing it with what's presented.

Karkador

Banned
I wonder why no other devs tried to go for the streaming/loading-as-you-lay approach?

Adding to the pile of other examples:

Jak & Daxter streamed data and was pretty seamless (though it was obvious how the areas were split). It was a pretty mind-blowing thing at the time.

Pimpbaa

Half Life 1 ran on a heavily modified Quake 1 engine, and the Source engine is a heavily modified version of the Half Life 1 engine.

Cwarrior

well it's not huge shock if it was running on a heavly modified unreal 2 since I don't remeber it having problems loading textures like ue3, but am going to need more proof to believe it.

Now if Resident Evil 4 used it I could say that my top 2 games of all time ran on UE.

that ran on capcoms frame work engine (update version of onimusha)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I remember my young mind assploding when I found out Zelda 64 was running on a really modified Mario 64 engine. The games are just so different it never occurred to me, as much sense as it makes at the end of the day.

I don't buy it. UE2 would mean that all the geometry would need to be subtractive (those tool shots don't look like that's what's going on), and I don't think UE2 was all that good at having maps made entirely out of static meshes (unlike UE3).

That said, I'd bet that it isn't impossible for awesome programmers to make an excellent version of UE2 for GC hardware and gotten similar results to Prime, but I'm just not seeing it with what's presented.

Epic already had added support for the Gamecube and Xbox into UE2. There would be no need for Retro to do any additional work in that area beyond performance that was to their liking.

I remember my young mind assploding when I found out Zelda 64 was running on a really modified Mario 64 engine. The games are just so different it never occurred to me, as much sense as it makes at the end of the day.

I always thought someN64 games looked like they took place in the same universe based on the textures. Ocarina, Mario, Starfox, Banjo, all have that delicious shitty N64 look.

tsab

Splinter cel games are based on a heavily modified ue2 and some were ported to gc and wii
so I think is possible for mp to be ue2 based although still mindblowing

naib

I'm pretty sure Crash Bandicoot streamed data of the disk instead of preloading levels. In fact, it may have been the first.

Cwarrior

N64 smudgy texture>>> PSX pixelated warping(jumpy) textures

Fixed

Both are bad it's pretty much pick your poison, the ps1 texture weren't so bad if your tv was smaller than 5inchs if it wasn’t then those jumpy texture would cut your eyes out.
did I just turn this into an ps1 vs n64 thread

I never owned a PSX. I've been playing through FFVIII for the first time and I love the way the game looks. I am weird.

thats nothing to do with the textures, the game is mostly 2d with 3d models with no textures.

edit: wrong one thought you was talking about ff7, yeah your weird as fuck, the overworld looks really ugly in that game.

Emitan

Fixed

Both are bad it's pretty much pick your poison, the ps1 texture weren't so bad if your tv was smaller than 5inchs if it wasn’t then those jumpy texture would cut your eyes out.
did I just turn this into an ps1 vs n64 thread

I never owned a PSX. I've been playing through FFVIII for the first time and I love the way the game looks. I am weird.

VerTiGo

Banned
I can believe it. You get some more perspective about it when you see the less detailed in-game Samus model from the pan into or out of morph ball.

Zeenbor

Just because some of the tool developers used the same terminology doesn't mean it's running on the same engine. "Cooked" could mean baking the geometry, or anything else. Metroid Prime was written on an engine from the ground up; This guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Please close this thread... you're insulting Jack Mathews.

Top Bottom