• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime probably did not run on Unreal Engine 2

Chev

I wonder why no other devs tried to go for the streaming/loading-as-you-lay approach?

Because it adds a whole new layer of complexity, notably because optical drives are slow and not guaranteed to always work at an optimal speed, so handling how to disguise load misses becomes a big part of it all. Metroid, for one, doesn't solve it in a very optimal way, adding doors everywhere and allowing their opening to lag quite a bit behind the player triggering it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Because it adds a whole new layer of complexity, notably because optical drives are slow and not guaranteed to always work at an optimal speed, so handling how to disguise load misses becomes a big part of it all. Metroid, for one, doesn't solve it in a very optimal way, adding doors everywhere and allowing their opening to lag quite a bit behind the player triggering it.
Metroid had an out from day 1. All previous Metroid games relied on just such doors which were a perfect solution for the Prime games.

StuBurns

Banned
BioShock does have that very UE3 specular thing on it's shader work, but it's UE2 not UE3, I can think of UE3 games that have that look, but no other UE2 games. Except Bio2 of course.

It's funny, some engines do have a certain look about them, but some games betray that heavily. DNF screams Doom 3 engine to me, but it's not.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You mean UE 2.5 and Rainbow Six Vegas shares the exact same look. 2.5 was a fairly big leap from UE2.

DNF is based off UE 2.5 as well IIRC.

StevieP

Banned
Interesting. That's why it looked so fantastic.

Retro's artistry is why Metroid Prime looked fantastic. It was running on their own creation.

BioShock does have that very UE3 specular thing on it's shader work, but it's UE2 not UE3, I can think of UE3 games that have that look, but no other UE2 games. Except Bio2 of course.

It's funny, some engines do have a certain look about them, but some games betray that heavily. DNF screams Doom 3 engine to me, but it's not.

DNF had vaseline on it as well, just not as much as Bioshock. Bioshock was a great disappointment to me, TBH, and going through an entire game coated in KY Jelly made it that much worse.

Weird, because the INI files setup mirrored UE2 era games, not UE3.

Vegas Lead Designer:
" It helped a lot that Rainbow 6: 3 used the Unreal 2 engine so we had a lot of core members in the team who had worked on this and Black Arrow, so we went with something we know and something that had a good reputation. "

Probably has to do with how they do things and not the engine itself.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You mean UE 2.5 and Rainbow Six Vegas shares the exact same look. 2.5 was a fairly big leap from UE2.

DNF is based off UE 2.5 as well IIRC.
As are Splinter Cell DA (360 + PS3 version) and Splinter Cell Conviction.

Shame about Conviction on 360, though, as it had very poor image quality and a low framerate with lots of tearing. :( A bad choice to be sure.

So they licensed UE2 in 2000, and found time to heavily modify the engine instead of just making their own, and released the game in 2002? Yeah, right. Lol.

Reviews at the time said it was like a game from the future but they probably didnt mean the underlying engine too lol

element

This is false. At Monolith we had terms like 'Baking', 'Cooking', 'Build' and we didn't use Unreal. These are fairly common terms when dealing with building of lighting, ai, and geo.

Wazzim

Banned
Third (second?) party studio uses third party engine, what a surprise. Them using it now as first party studio would be interesting.

edit: it doesn't run on UE2? The same kind of file structure must be in other Retro games then too right?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Bunch of other games did this - most notably Jak & Daxter did it before anyone. The other two Jak games did too, and so did God of War games for example. I'm actually fairly sure one of Crash games on PS1 did as well.

Latest wow clients stream while youre playing. No need to finish the downloads.

Top Bottom