• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime probably did not run on Unreal Engine 2

Celine

Just because some of the tool developers used the same terminology doesn't mean it's running on the same engine. "Cooked" could mean baking the geometry, or anything else. Metroid Prime was written on an engine from the ground up; This guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Please close this thread... you're insulting Jack Mathews.

Holy shit i read the thread title wrong. I thought it meant metroid prime running on unreal engine 2 and i was all like 'fuck yeah HD metroid'.

I didn't realise someone was trying to say the original game ran on UE2 lol.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
isn't that a little bit far-fetched?
A bit.

As I said in the WiiU speculation thread, even *if* UE2 was used somewhere in the assets pipeline, that does not mean the game's runtime was UE, 'heavily modified' or otherwise.

That engine was used for Skyward Sword. The SuperFX2 scaled quite well.

Funny you should say that because that's actually true in a kind of roundabout way. Nintendo EAD's 3D games are all based on the same core base rendering engine that powered Starfox SNES, though obviously completely rewritten to the point where it shows almost no resemblance at all. Most EAD games' file structure for 3D models and such has been the same ever since SF SNES.

Metal-Geo

Was the term "cooked" also used in UE2? I only saw it pop-up in UE3 games.

I never paid much attention to file structures.

herod

I've been using the term 'cooked' for any compilation of configuration files since the late 90s. Perhaps my unix scripts are also UE2? :O

mclem

I'm very sceptical about this - not just from the fact that there's not a lot of evidence which *could* be coincidental, but also from the fact that it'd be a decidedly odd licensing agreement. Epic are very careful about making sure that Unreal titles scream the fact from the rooftops, so why didn't they with this one?

It's not like Nintendo are *that* averse to acknowledging external libraries in titles they publish, I remember Perfect Dark having a splash screen acknowledging the use of Fraunhofer for MP3 compression.

Is there *anything* in MP's credits to acknowledge any influence at all?

Not judging if this rumour is true or not, could somebody that has played both Metroid Prime 1, 2 and 3 (I've only tried them a bit and don't have enough experience with them) tell if there is a "difference" in how the graphics and levels are designed between M1 and M2 if it's only the latter that uses UE2?

Funny you should say that because that's actually true in a kind of roundabout way. Nintendo EAD's 3D games are all based on the same core base rendering engine that powered Starfox SNES, though obviously completely rewritten to the point where it shows almost no resemblance at all. Most EAD games' file structure for 3D models and such has been the same ever since SF SNES.

"Super Mario Galaxy runs on the Star Fox engine"

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
UE is said to be easily customizable and ready for components (rendering ones, physics ones, etc...) to be replaced by the licensee, but the real strenght comes from its content management pipeline (exporters and importers, level editor, material editor, landscape tools, scripting tools, etc...).

Log4Girlz

UE is said to be easily customizable and ready for components (rendering ones, physics ones, etc...) to be replaced by the licensee, but the real strenght comes from its content management pipeline (exporters and importers, level editor, material editor, landscape tools, scripting tools, etc...).

I wish I knew what this meant :(

Cute.

You've never actually played an UE game, have you?

∀ Narayan;33974261 said:
Unreal Championship 2 is one of the best looking games released within the previous generation, so hi sorry.
emot-frogout.gif

this was a question .. i figure the answer is No , then .. Thank you all for your answers everyone .

Not judging if this rumour is true or not, could somebody that has played both Metroid Prime 1, 2 and 3 (I've only tried them a bit and don't have enough experience with them) tell if there is a "difference" in how the graphics and levels are designed between M1 and M2 if it's only the latter that uses UE2?

Both games graphics and level design was similar. Echoes felt more darker in colours. I have never tried number 3, but it looks like the same engine but modified and improved upon.

Drawcalls

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure this is false. When I was in Austin I used to work with some guys who worked on Prime and they never mentioned any use of UE2.

I remember them saying that the programmers gave them very strict limitations on poly counts/texture usage based off room type and they would categorize room types by size: A, B, and C. You can't connect two A rooms together; you needed some B's and C's in between. That's how they maintained such a smooth framerate.

That's all common stuff for console streaming engines while UE2's performance gains largely came from occluders/blocking volumes. Streaming wasn't a big focus for unreal until 3.0 (hence, texture pop in)

Those editor shots also don't look anything like UE2 editor. It looks like a basic design/layout tool you would expect from that gen.

Chev

The term "cooked" is Maya-related (on top of being pretty generic). Which makes sense since the screenshots in that linked thread show they used Maya as an editor. Similarly the terms he uses to attribute the scripts to UE are things like "sounds, skeletal meshes", so what, we're supposed to think only UE can do sound and skeletal meshes? There's nothing, absolutely nothing, that indicates UE at any level whatsoever. Add to that the fact no UE version ever was gamecube-compatible, the model format's completely different from UE, and that Epic not credited anywhere (which would constitute a breach of the licensing contract), and I can safely conclude whoever saw UE in there doesn't know the first thing about what he's saying.

MP1 and MP2 are using the same data formats, just with a different compression (gzip for 2, custom for 1), so there's nothing indicating an engine change.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to work out why this seems so bizarre to me, and I realise now that it's because I played Metroid Prime when all of this sort of thing might as well have been magic to me. The way I think about games this generation has changed so dramatically. Most of that is probably just growing up, but, I don't know, it seems like the community is a little more savvy now than they were previous generations. Maybe I'm projecting.

scitek

The term "cooked" is Maya-related (on top of being pretty generic). Which makes sense since the screenshots in that linked thread show they used Maya as an editor. Similarly the terms he uses to attribute the scripts to UE are things like "sounds, skeletal meshes", so what, we're supposed to think only UE can do sound and skeletal meshes? There's nothing, absolutely nothing, that indicates UE at any level whatsoever. Add to that the fact no UE version ever was gamecube-compatible, the model format's completely different from UE, and that Epic not credited anywhere (which would constitute a breach of the licensing contract), and I can safely conclude whoever saw UE in there doesn't know the first thing about what he's saying.

So, most likely idTech3 then? (sub-HD, 60fps)

panda21

yeah this.

'cooked' is a generic computer graphics term.

duckroll

I didn't see this thread until now, but does anyone who believes this realize how dumb such a claim even is? Seriously? Metroid Prime came out in 2002. The only game which used UE2 in 2002 was America's Army, and the only reason it managed to come out so quickly was because it was a glorified recruitment promotion tool for the military instead of a proper game. It was extremely low on content, and also ran like shit.

Think about it for a second. The claim is that somehow Retro Studios licensed UE2 ahead of everyone else, and managed to get a game out in 2002, but instead of it being a proper UE2 game, it is also HEAVILY modified until the point where they no longer had to even carry the logo for the engine.

So they licensed UE2 in 2000, and found time to heavily modify the engine instead of just making their own, and released the game in 2002? Yeah, right. Lol.

v1oz

This whole thing is bit of stretch. What is most likely is that. The early prototypes of the game were an Unreal mod running on a PC. Until they could finish making their own engine.

The Prime series shares little in common with the UE2 tech wise. From the heavy use of indirect texturing, the lighting model, the physics and animation, to the large expansive open worlds and the real time streaming tech. UE2 also used tracker mod files for audio, whilst Prime is pure midi on the audio front. UE2 was known to be heavy on memory resources there's no way they could get those levels running on a GC. Prior to 2000 we didn't see many UE2 games streaming large worlds, it was pretty much just corridor shooters.

jett

D-Member
I didn't see this thread until now, but does anyone who believes this realize how dumb such a claim even is? Seriously? Metroid Prime came out in 2002. The only game which used UE2 in 2002 was America's Army, and the only reason it managed to come out so quickly was because it was a glorified recruitment promotion tool for the military instead of a proper game. It was extremely low on content, and also ran like shit.

Think about it for a second. The claim is that somehow Retro Studios licensed UE2 ahead of everyone else, and managed to get a game out in 2002, but instead of it being a proper UE2 game, it is also HEAVILY modified until the point where they no longer had to even carry the logo for the engine.

So they licensed UE2 in 2000, and found time to heavily modify the engine instead of just making their own, and released the game in 2002? Yeah, right. Lol.

someone dun goofed

This whole thing is bit of stretch. What is most likely is that. The early prototypes of the game were an Unreal mod running on a PC. Until they could finish making their own engine.

The Prime series shares little in common with the UE2 tech wise. From the heavy use of indirect texturing, the lighting model, the physics and animation, to the large expansive open worlds and the real time streaming tech. UE2 also used tracker mod files for audio, whilst Prime is pure midi on the audio front. UE2 was known to be heavy on memory resources there's no way they could get those levels running on a GC. Prior to 2000 we didn't see many UE2 games streaming large worlds, it was pretty much just corridor shooters.

Exactly. It might be using some remenants of UE 2, like the level editor/scripting stuff, but the final engine used for the game shares almost nothing in common with UE2.

Besides, it looks nothing like a UE2 game. It also looks and runs better than any UE2 game released on console that generation. How could they do that with an engine that wasn't even commercially available before 2000?

Chev

Exactly. It might be using some remenants of UE 2, like the level editor/scripting stuff, but the final engine used for the game shares almost nothing in common with UE2.

No, you see, the thing is, this level editor and the scripts are nothing UE2-specific. The editor's Maya and scripts already were common as hell back then. There are no remnants of UE in all this, just standard development practices, and no reason to think UE may have been involved even at the prototype stage.

No, you see, the thing is, this level editor and the scripts are nothing UE2-specific. The editor's Maya and scripts already were common as hell back then. There are no remnants of UE in all this, just standard development practices, and no reason to think UE may have been involved even at the prototype stage.

Weren't Unreal Scripts found on the game's disc though?

Chev

No, scripts were found that were attributed by the finder to UE for reasons that are shaky as best, specifically the mention of skeletal meshes, which have been commonplace in any game featuring characters since HL1 and already existed long before that (The original Alone in the Dark was one of the first games to feature them back in 92). Basically all that indicates is the guy looking at the scripts only ever used UE and thus erroneously attributed really common terms to that specific engine.

rezuth

That's kind of obvious though. The COD games have a very "quake" like look, as do most games based on the Quake 3 engine, UE2 and UE3.

Metroid Prime 1, 2 & 3 look nothing like any other UE2 game though. The only other game that really escaped that common look was Bioshock (which also used a massively modified version of UE2.5)

In your head

Haunted

But now that the issue has been raised, I would like to know what engine the game is running on.

nuclear muffin banned again?

he just doesn't learn

storafötter;33983882 said:
Both games graphics and level design was similar. Echoes felt more darker in colours. I have never tried number 3, but it looks like the same engine but modified and improved upon.

MP1 and MP2 are using the same data formats, just with a different compression (gzip for 2, custom for 1), so there's nothing indicating an engine change.

Okay thanks, so if it's UE2 it's probably been used on all three games :)

MNC

METROID PRIME RAN ON UE1 LOL

He didn't get banned for this post, right?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Came here to say the same thing. I don't believe for one second that there is any truth to this. There's simply no way that would have been possible.

The idea that they could release a game on a heavily modified version of an engine that was just beginning to show up in games using features that no other developer that generation managed to pull off is absurd. Locked 60 fps with level streaming is something you won't find in ANY SINGLE UE2 game on any console. It also looks nothing like any other Unreal game ever produced.

Xun

That's kind of obvious though. The COD games have a very "quake" like look, as do most games based on the Quake 3 engine, UE2 and UE3.

Metroid Prime 1, 2 & 3 look nothing like any other UE2 game though. The only other game that really escaped that common look was Bioshock (which also used a massively modified version of UE2.5)
Really? I can tell it's running on the Unreal engine honestly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wonder why no other devs tried to go for the streaming/loading-as-you-lay approach?
Bunch of other games did this - most notably Jak & Daxter did it before anyone. The other two Jak games did too, and so did God of War games for example. I'm actually fairly sure one of Crash games on PS1 did as well.

.la1n

This thread has now made me want to play Metroid Prime through again (the only prime game I actually enjoyed.) Well guess I know what I am doing later.

gogojira

Now I'm just waiting on all the gaming blog headlines of "MINDBLOW: Metroid Prime runs on Unreal Engine 3!"

This all coming after this whole UE2 thing has basically been debunked.

Top Bottom