• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

AmanoBuff

Stoked about this. Would have preferred it on Switch (although not sure I want to play this without a proper Dpad) but I I'll still play the shit out of it on my 3DS.

Hell, they could release it on the Gameboy Color for all I care and I'd still buy it.

Lil Marco

Banned
3ds is getting one hell of a year out of 2017. at the onset it seemed like it was winding down but 2018 is more the year for that it seems.

There is a new model (2DS XL) coming next month so no signs of winding down, not till at least 2019. There are several big games releasing for it this year.

When did Nintendo ever say that all games that have been in development and are almost done would be on the Switch? This game comes out in a couple months, which means that it's been in development for a while now. Plus, the 3DS install base is already there and they're gonna support it through the year at the very least. The Switch only came out a few months ago, and it's only been like 5 months since the damn thing was revealed. Be realistic about things before getting in an uproar about something that doesn't make sense.

I really hope that Nintendo ignores some of the vitriol and negative comments this game is getting, because it really looks great in motion.

They put Zelda on the Switch for launch. They could've put a 2.5d game on the Switch easily if they wanted to, if they could have Zelda ready for launch.

And if it's just a matter of time, they could've easily said its also in development for the Switch and would be out later on.

They said it so many times, over and over. The appeal of the Switch is that it will consolidate their software lineup into one platform. They even said that's the main point of the console. You wouldn't need to buy a seperate handheld and home console to enjoy all their games. That sold a lot of us.

Now they're making another 2d Metroid and not bothering to out it on the Switch? Perhaps, if Nintendo just didn't lie and trick us, it wouldn't be such a big deal. They know Switch owners expected this to be announced for it, but they don't care. Switch sold well, and it seems like they are going back to being the same old anti consumer Nintendo.

Love their games, but one can never trust anything Nintendo says. I knew their Switch plans were a bit outlandish, but it was pure lies and fiction.

LotusHD

Banned
They put Zelda on the Switch for launch. They could've put a 2.5d game on the Switch easily if they wanted to, if they could have Zelda ready for launch.

And if it's just a matter of time, they could've easily said its also in development for the Switch and would be out later on.

They said it so many times, over and over. The appeal of the Switch is that it will consolidate their software lineup into one platform. They even said that's the main point of the console. You wouldn't need to buy a seperate handheld and home console to enjoy all their games. That sold a lot of us.

Now they're making another 2d Metroid and not bothering to out it on the Switch? Perhaps, if Nintendo just didn't lie and trick us, it wouldn't be such a big deal. They know Switch owners expected this to be announced for it, but they don't care. Switch sold well, and it seems like they are going back to being the same old anti consumer Nintendo.

Love their games, but one can never trust anything Nintendo says. I knew their Switch plans were a bit outlandish, but it was pure lies and fiction.

Man chill out

Guys, remember in the E3 Spotlight thread when I said I'd start believing so hard and that I'd need all your help to will two Metroid games intro existence? Thank you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240283253&postcount=5017

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240283817&postcount=5028

We have you to thank for this, we only helped.

Maybe this calls for a celebration with not one, but two nice pieces of art?

tumblr_oribfrauFt1uouj2uo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oribfrauFt1uouj2uo2_1280.jpg

Artwork/Illustration by Voize Art / Voizel

@MUWANdo

Banned
I know it won't mean much for some people, but the 3D on games like this is gonna make it a whole lot more appealing to actually look at. I'm not the biggest fan of the art-style myself, but the 3D is gonna make it look a lot better. I was the same with Link Between Worlds; mediocre art-style, but when I played the game in 3D it came to lfe.

ALBW's 3D is significantly enhanced by the 60FPS framerate; the higher a framerate, the smoother and more natural the stereoscopic 3D effect.

MercurySteam's 3DS Castlevania game has really deep 3D but the framerate was so unsteady that it ruined the effect; this game looks like it can at least maintain 30FPS so it should be better in that respect. (60FPS on New 3DS would be great, I hope someone gets the chance to ask about N3DS enhancements.)

LotusHD

Banned
Guys, remember in the E3 Spotlight thread when I said I'd start believing so hard and that I'd need all your help to will two Metroid games intro existence? Thank you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240283253&postcount=5017

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240283817&postcount=5028

It's hilarious, the one time I finally completely lower my expectations, 2 Metroid games get announced, along with confirmation that a Pokemon Switch title is coming sooner than we thought.

vaibhavp

yess. 3ds is now complete. metroid games outside super metroid were missing from it. this game looks super cool as well. am yet to finish metroid prime trilogy so am more interested in this than prime 4.

They never said that. Show me a quote from Iwata or Kimishima that says this. All Iwata said was that they are creating a unified system and architecture such that "home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems." The idea was to make it so that porting and transitioning between devices will be easier. He never said that their software lineups will be consolidated into one platform. That's you misunderstanding what he said.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Maybe, just maybe, this game didn't pop into existence this month. There's the remote possibility that development started some time before the Switch was announced, even. MercurySteam had pitched a new Metroid game to Nintendo some years ago, so this could have been what that pitch eventually became.

Seriously, chill. The Switch launched a few months ago. By this time in the PS4 and Xbox One lifetimes, we were still seeing cross-generation games. Support for a system doesn't automatically drop once the newer one is out. We've already got a full fucking sequel in Metroid Prime 4 announced exclusively for the Switch, alongside a new Pokémon, Yoshi and Kirby, plus Splatoon 2, ARMS and Super Mario Odyssey. What else do you want them to do? To close down the 3DS eShop so nobody can buy any more games for the system?

Also, I don't think they ever said what you're claiming. Any sources for that?

Maybe this calls for a celebration with not one, but two nice pieces of art?

You lost me at the thigh gap. Totally unnecessary :/

I'm so glad this has the 3d effect in it. Just watched the video on the 3ds itself and it looked so much different to my eyes.

Glad it's happening.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone who can't find/dl the 3D trailer in their e-shop? The trailer's now out on the Benelux shop, but it's just a regular video, not with the 3D effect. This sucks, I really wanted to see this trailer with the effect. Could be that NOE is just slow putting this up though.

How did Nintendo lie to you... Jesus Christ......

Do you own a 2DS/ 3DS?!?

If yes then buy the damn Metroid game there.

AndrewPL

I can never tell if these posts are serious or a joke.

How would you feel if super metroid was remade in this style?

Personally I'd feel like it would be a total waste when we could have a new entry in the series and adding something new. Although AM2r wasn't an official product, it had the passion and care not seen in Metroid games for a long time, I rate it easily up there with Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero mission.

Samus returns style looks like a downgrade (same with superstar saga remake too)

I'm glad there is going to be a new 2d metroid game and I'll get it but it feels like a downgrade and not the game we should be getting.

Opa-Pa

I'll agree that 2D sprites look nicer, but that's just visuals.

People act like AM2R is some gold standard for 2D Metroid, which is puzzling because while yes, it's a very good game and an incredible fan effort, it's still flawed in very important areas, and I personally wouldn't even put it in a top 3 best 2D Metroid games.

Samus Returns is looking great all things considering and I don't doubt it can potentially best AM2R.

Z3M0G

Perfect continuation of Other M. Seriously, it looks like they refined the ideas of that game to make it work better.

I was thinking the same. This is what Other M should have been.

yess. 3ds is now complete. metroid games outside super metroid were missing from it. this game looks super cool as well. am yet to finish metroid prime trilogy so am more interested in this than prime 4.

Same here. I couldn't finish Prime 2, and never tried Prime 3. So I don't know if I care about Prime 4, but when it comes out in 2 years I'll get it if I have a Switch.

But this... this I want. Hard.

devonodev

Is this copypasta

olimpia84

Day one for this. Was hoping they would move on from the 3DS but oh well. Kind of excited as I never was able to finish the original Metroid 2 :)

Lelou

I'm so glad about this annoucment, but hell, i was waiting this from day one of nintendo 3ds..

Anyway the only criticism i have is about mercury steam.
I know them only for the 3ds castlevania, but it was not so great, even if i enjoyed it for few hours of gameplay

No way my boy. Anti-consumer Nintendo left Wii and DS owners in the dark for years as they built a limited lineup for the Wii U. Them continuing to make 3DS games is a GOOD thing because it allows enthusiasts to jump in on the newest hotness while those who might not be able to afford a Switch, or might not want one til a bigger lineup is available, can still enjoy the Nintendo gaming experience while saving up some dough for a Switch.

There was no easy way to simply uprez this for a Switch... Nintendo halting production on this game that quite clearly has been in the works for 3DS for years would have resulted in a massive delay... if not a cancelation! Then you know what would follow:

"Metroid ignored again!"

Nintendo are making a brand new Metroid side-scrolling adventure game on a console that they promised to continue to support. Them releasing this on 3DS is above and beyond what I expected that continued support to be.

Lol holy shit

If you're upset and feel swindled by your Switch, that's all on you pal. Miyamoto did not force you to buy this system, and really if you owned a Wii U already there's very little reason to since Zelda is out on that atm.

Quit complaining and just own up to the fact that you bought a new, expensive toy. No one forced or manipulated you into doing so.

Aesnath

I'll admit, I was a bit..unimpressed by the initial reveal of this title. But the more I've thought about it, the happier I am with it. This is more in line with the kind of shake-ups I want them to try, even if I'm not particularly in love with their aesthetic choices.

I'm likely to buy two copies, one for myself and one for my seven-year old son. He recently beat super metroid (with some help of course) and is pretty excited about the prospect of a new game.

I want more but i'll gladly accept what nintendo are doing to make a classic style metroid again, I hope this fuels hope for another, a true metroid 5.

AM2R is one of my favourite Metroid games, official or not. Many share the same sentiment.

Add me to that list, I absolutely loved it despite the sometimes obnoxious boss fights.

On an unrelated note, can anyone give me an idea what a reasonable price for a used 3DS is these days? Ballpark? If this turns out good despite my reservations, I'm willing to pick one up and dive in.

maxcriden

Add me to that list, I absolutely loved it despite the sometimes obnoxious boss fights.

On an unrelated note, can anyone give me an idea what a reasonable price for a used 3DS is these days? Ballpark? If this turns out good despite my reservations, I'm willing to pick one up and dive in.

OG 3DS or 2DS, you should be able to get a good one for less than $75. I'd recommend a refurb:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat750772

But if you want 3D on the system, they only have the (more expensive) New model there. I think you can get a used OG 3DS for sub-$75 though.

Grisby

Really happy that MercurySteam is back in the spotlight.

Kind of let down by the visuals, although I'm sure it'll look better on my own screen.

nkarafo

Can't say i'm a fan of those low-fi, jagged 3D graphics. The game is going to need a very strong art direction to look good and this footage doesn't really show this.

Jezan

Lol holy shit

If you're upset and feel swindled by your Switch, that's all on you pal. Miyamoto did not force you to buy this system, and really if you owned a Wii U already there's very little reason to since Zelda is out on that atm.

Quit complaining and just own up to the fact that you bought a new, expensive toy. No one forced or manipulated you into doing so.
?

Why is that in the customer? Nintendo said a lot of things about the Switch, just like they did with Wii U and Wii and they always say. If you forgot, they said 3rd party supported, many people thought it was real and look again where the support is.... and you wanna blame the person that believed that? Get out of the fanboy bubble and stop defending a company cause they won't stand by you. :)

I hope the game in 3D doesn't look as bland, probably the armor looks too simple in game, that's why it looks (for me) wrong and too simple.

hlhbk

?

Why is that in the customer? Nintendo said a lot of things about the Switch, just like they did with Wii U and Wii and they always say. If you forgot, they said 3rd party supported, many people thought it was real and look again where the support is.... and you wanna blame the person that believed that? Get out of the fanboy bubble and stop defending a company cause they won't stand by you. :)

In all fairness like you said Nintendo said the same shit about Wii and Wii U. There was no reason heading into the launch of the switch to believe them. I say this as someone who bought a Switch day one and have no regrets.

Top Bottom