• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Pinky

Banned

Nice.

v4Q97.gif

Lol i just remembered Mercury Steam was behind those messy looking Castlevania games (they range from gorgeous to boring to fucking hideous in an instant) but they have potential...

I don't that will show in a 3DS remake however, missed oportunity

If this does well I wouldn't be against bringing them back for a Switch sequel. So long as Nintendo is supervising I'm not worried at all.

Opa-Pa

Anyone else think that if this game does well both critically and commercially that Nintendo will continue its relationship with Mercury Steam, similar to what they do with Next Level, Good Feel, Grezzo, Arzest, etc.? They seem pretty capably of making great looking games. Their artistic talent combined with Nintendo producers' oversight could potentially result in another fruitful second party relationship.

Sakamoto suggested as much in the treehouse segment. He said they "had a wonderful collaboration and realized many new ways in which 2D Metroid can work going forward", so it sounds like they're already considering making more of them together.

Of course it could all be just common courtesy, but yeah.

kZieo2e.png

Apologies if it's hard to read, but this is my guess at the final inventory based on abilities we've seen, other items from Metroid II not yet shown, and inference from menu placement.

I don't think there's going to be a Speed Booster this time unless they've dropped one of the Metroid II abilities.

Astral Dog

If this does well I wouldn't be against bringing them back for a Switch sequel. So long as Nintendo is supervising I'm not worried at all.
Yeah this is the best case scenario :3 Mercury Steam is talented. With the right hands and not someone toxic influence around ican see them doing great things. find me rooting for them unlike a certain Ninja.

Atrarock

I tried playing AM2R last night. I couldn't get used to the stiff movement.
Are you playing with your feet? AM2R doesn't even come close to the word "stiff".
Lol i just remembered Mercury Steam was behind those messy looking Castlevania games (they range from gorgeous to boring to fucking hideous in an instant) but they have potential...

I don't that will show in a 3DS remake however, missed oportunity
Luckily, Mercury Steam isn't working with Konami this time. All of the footage we have so far with the beaming impressions tell me that all they needed was the right people to work with. I hope this game truly proves that they indeed have what it takes to make something great.

Producer

Im kinda wary of free aim and the melee counter. Might make it a bit too easy. I mean i never found the games particularly hard or anything, but yeah

Still willing to give it a shot because new metroid

KingBroly

Banned
kZieo2e.png

Apologies if it's hard to read, but this is my guess at the final inventory based on abilities we've seen, other items from Metroid II not yet shown, and inference from menu placement.

I don't think there's going to be a Speed Booster this time unless they've dropped one of the Metroid II abilities.

It doesn't look like Hi Jump Boots are in the game, but Space Jump Boots are for a double jump going by Treehouse's look at it.

If I had to say one thing I REALLY like visually in the game it's the Power Suit, because it doesn't look insanely oversized (except for the shoulder pads, which are now down to Samus' hips for some reason) like it did in Other M.

Opa-Pa

Im kinda wary of free aim and the melee counter. Might make it a bit too easy. I mean i never found the games particularly hard or anything, but yeah

Still willing to give it a shot because new metroid

I felt the same at first, but after seeing some footage I feel like it's pretty well balanced around these abilities. Enemies pretty much run to attack you as soon as you see them, so if anything it looks fairly challenging. I guess what really will decide it is whether is too easy to use the counter or not.

The Giant

Banned
I can see Nintendo working with Mercury Steam from now on. Wouldn't be surprised if they are in early days for a switch game.

KarmaCow

kZieo2e.png

That seems about right aside from the order, there's a part from the Treehouse demo that shows more of the unlocked abilities and it matches up.

edit: on a sidenote, is there a way to get Super Gameboy colours for Metroid II on the 3DS VC?

Kurt

I'm hoping for a super metroid remake on switch. But a total new 2d metroid game would also be great. As long it isnt fusion style ofcourse. I hate the environment in fusion most of the time (to much factory art... and doesnt feel as a whole world, more like seperated parts)

Neiteio

I'm loving the counterattack. It solves an issue of sorts I had with past 2D Metroid titles, where certain enemies would corner you and chip away at you as you struggled to jump over them. With a counterattack, you at least have a chance of pushing them back if they close the gap between you and them. Also, it just looks cool!

Toxi

Banned
The rapid fire Aeon ability is just badass.

kZieo2e.png

I'd honestly be okay with that. I love the speed booster, but there are enough new ideas here to juggle already without having to also deal with the complexity of the shinespark.

I'm loving the counterattack. It solves an issue of sorts I had with past 2D Metroid titles, where certain enemies would corner you and chip away at you as you struggled to jump over them. With a counterattack, you at least have a chance of pushing them back if they close the gap between you and them. Also, it just looks cool!
It really does look cool. I would love if Samus's up smash in future Smash Bros games was changed to that animation. I'd suggest adding it as a counter special move, but Smash already has enough of those. :p

It really does look cool. I would love if Samus's up smash in future Smash Bros games was changed to that animation. I'd suggest adding it as a counter special move, but Smash already has enough of those. :p

The funny thing is that Counter Attack reminded me of Project M's Ice Beam Up Smash.

Tillbo

Sorry of this has been covered before but anyone know whether the current Metroid amiibos are supposed to do anything special in this game?

I have Zero Suit Samus but not the standard Samus. I'm wondering whether I should pick it up before the prices go crazy as they did with the older Zelda amiibos following Breath Of The Wild?

Yup, strange that it had to be downloaded though, pretty sure there are 3D trailers on the eShop itself.

Also where's this video? I cannot find it on the eShop? I can only find one in 2D with the 3DS surround visible?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I can see Nintendo working with Mercury Steam from now on. Wouldn't be surprised if they are in early days for a switch game.

the more western teams they team up with to enlarge their software output, with the supervision of Japanese HQ, the better.
Especially for brands with the potential of being/becoming narrative-driven as Metroid

TheMoon

Sorry of this has been covered before but anyone know whether the current Metroid amiibos are supposed to do anything special in this game?

I have Zero Suit Samus but not the standard Samus. I'm wondering whether I should pick it up before the prices go crazy as they did with the older Zelda amiibos following Breath Of The Wild?

Also where's this video? I cannot find it on the eShop? I can only find one in 2D with the 3DS surround visible?

1) of course, TBA
2) if you're in EU, the 3D video is NA-only.

Xiao Hu

Anyone else think that if this game does well both critically and commercially that Nintendo will continue its relationship with Mercury Steam, similar to what they do with Next Level, Good Feel, Grezzo, Arzest, etc.? They seem pretty capably of making great looking games. Their artistic talent combined with Nintendo producers' oversight could potentially result in another fruitful second party relationship.

I really hope so. The more Western developers they collaborate with the the stronger their second party output will become. With most bigger publishers being reluctant/sceptical of the Switch it is a safer bet to reestablish the status quo of the N64 era. Next partnering up with: Obsidian!

Sigh.

Have we learned nothing from Fusion and Other M?

Yeah, better writers for example

Pinky

Banned
You mean one. Prime isn't a real Metroid game.

"Metroid" Prime, a game with METROIDS, Samus Aran, Ridley, Space Pirates, Chozo ruins/artifacts, exploration, isolation, and upgrades isn't a REAL Metroid game.

Lol, okay...

Can't tell if this is a joke post...

It should be noted that Nintendo seems to, for better or worse, view Metroid as two different series: the (mostly) 2D "mainline" games helmed by Sakamoto and the 3D Prime "side story" games led by Tanabe. Maybe that's what Dremark is referring to.

They all have maps. Zero mission has a map. Are people really offended by a map in a exploration based game?

Metroid 2 definitely didn't have a map. I don't mind the option though. People gotta show more self-discipline. Sometimes I play a shooter only using pistols or like one gun. It's fun to me. Yeah, I won't win some speedrun uber skill challenge, but I'm just playing for fun. If the map is optional, others could do what I do and just play in the way they find the most fun.

I hope it does well. We need a good 2D style Metroid game.

If it does well I could definitely see them working together again.

Instro

Sigh.

Have we learned nothing from Fusion and Other M?

I had no problem with Fusion having a stronger narrative, it was a great game. Frankly Super set the precedent anyway. Other M was ass though in many ways. It's not like it can't be done with this type of game, see Castlevania, Ori, Axiom Verge, etc. Just needs to be approached correctly, even it it's just more Prime/Dark Souls style.

Top Bottom