• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Those games were good in spite of the narrative elements. Those were the stand out weak points that prevented the games from being recognized as peers to the previous titles.

The only Metroid game released before Fusion that's on par or better than Fusion is Super. And there aren't really may games that are even on par with Super, so that's a big bar to reach.

The only game in the series to meet (and exceed imo) Super is Prime.

But not every Metroid game can live up to being one of the best games ever made.

Really, the only fault I have with Fusion is the backgrounds are bland compared to other games in the series. And it's a bit harder than most Metroid games I've played. I actually quite like the story of Fusion and I think the whole SA-X plot adds to the game a lot.

Nintendo wont admit it but when they have some Metroid games coming out or in the making they seem to be "doing fine" as a company. They should realize that the sales of Metroid wont deter their business model. There was no Metroid for like 7 years and they had some rough times. Beginning of 3DS, Wii U.

Cottiny

Banned
Considering that MS made Mirror's of Fate in HD and then they downgraded it for 3DS (that's why they later released the HD port) I think it's highly possible that we will see an HD version on the Switch.

Opa-Pa

MS proving themselves and becoming the new 2D Metroid studio would be the ultimate irony to me, because if you asked me a couple days ago which relatively known, non hated studio I would never want near my favorite franchises, I'd have answered Mercury Steam, no question.

Hell, I even thanked the heavens when it got leaked that they had pitched a Metroid game to Nintendo and it resulted in nothing.

Now,though? I'm a believer.

Considering that MS
made Mirror's of Fate in HD and then they downgraded it for 3DS (that's why they later released the HD port) I think it's highly possible that we will see an HD version on the Switch.

Is this really how it went? I ask because I wanted nothing to do with the game after playing the demo, but if so then that's interesting.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The EU shop got updated with sales... but no Metroid 3D trailer. I keep tweeting them about it, it's the least I can do.

Prime 3 had a narrative and was awesome. Fusion was great as well.

Other M was just a garbage game. The story was only a part of why that game was bad.

I just recently replayed Prime 3 and think it's a great game despite the terribly done NPCs and dialogue. The first hour or so is really damn weak because of this and almost made me drop this second playthrough actually. Once they let you off the ridiculous story's leash and actually let you do Metroid, it's definitely great, I agree.

Prime 3 was freaking terrible and the story/characters contributed a lot to that.

Prime 3 was in no way terrible. A step down from 1 and 2 yes, but still easily eclipsing the quality of 90% of games. I enjoyed the characters, and I like getting to see the galaxy at large.

I love Metroid and its themes of isolation, but not every game needs to be completely alone with no real overarching story with zero characters. There's room for Metroid to be able to experiment, without going full Other M/Federation Force.

For the record Fusion's story was great too, and Other M ruining Adam is something I'll never forgive it for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjZTxGUzMI
The Rundas fight wouldn't have been nearly as good if he was just some random boss. All of the bounty hunter fights had way higher emotional stakes because of the story. Enjoyed each of them way more than most of the bosses in Super.

So Sakamoto just confirmed a lot of cool stuff on stream

The maps are redesigned by Takehiko Hosokawa. He was the system director and a game designer for Metroid Fusion, a course designer for Metroid: Zero Mission

There's going to be completely new post game content

The music is done by Yamamoto and Hamano, the main composers for the metroid of series(think we already knew this)

The new counter mechanic was something that Mercury Steam implemented/thought of themselves

Seems like Mercury Steam is only just doing the code work/programming for the most part

KarmaCow

Sadly, no - at least not officially. You can only toggle between the black/green OG Game Boy filter and standard b/w.

Bah oh well. I was planning on playing through the original and AM2R again before this releases and having the Super Gameboy colours would have been nice.

Serrato

19198451_10155436629183288_1577289303_n.png

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan I want thooooooooose

(from the Treehouse Stream)

The maps are redesigned by Takehiko Hosokawa. He was the system director and a game designer for Metroid Fusion, a course designer for Metroid: Zero Mission

The music is done by Yamamoto and Hamano, the main composers for the metroid of series(think we already knew this)

The new counter mechanic was something that Mercury Steam implemented/thought of themselves

Seems like Mercury Steam is only just doing the code work/programming for the most part

Sounds good. I love the counter thing. Reminds me of witch time or something

kunonabi

probably the only concerning thing about this so far but Metroid II wasn't super open to begin with so it should still turn out fine.

One thing that bothers me *GREATLY* from the footage we've seen from the game so far, is that when Samus goes through a door, the entire screen fades to black, including the door, and then the new area fades in entirely.

THIS IS NOT METROID!!

Everything except the door is supposed to fade out, then the door slides across the screen to the other side, and the new area fades in. Door transitions are a staple of the Metroid series! Why are they missing here?? This is the kind of attention to detail that, I don't know why, I'm so not surprised to see that a non-Japanese developer fails to grasp. Maybe it's because the game is still far off and it's somewhere on their to-do list, but something makes me very sceptical that they're going to fix in time.

Serrato

AtomicShroom, from the few parts of the stream I saw, the Fade to black occurs only when Samus changes area? otherwise it's kind of a seamless transition.

Or maybe I looked at it wrong.

Metroid II didn't have fancy door transitions; the screen would fade when changing areas and slide when crossing doors like the original.

So it's surprisingly accurate.

Berordn

probably the only concerning thing about this so far but Metroid II wasn't super open to begin with so it should still turn out fine.

It's not like the linearity was strictly his doing, that would've been a design goal from the top down. The areas in Fusion and Zero Mission were fun enough to run through in spite of that, so that actually bodes well for me.

One thing that bothers me *GREATLY* from the footage we've seen from the game so far, is that when Samus goes through a door, the entire screen fades to black, including the door, and then the new area fades in entirely.

THIS IS NOT METROID!!

Everything except the door is supposed to fade out, then the door slides across the screen to the other side, and the new area fades in. Door transitions are a staple of the Metroid series! Why are they missing here?? This is the kind of attention to detail that, I don't know why, I'm so not surprised to see that a non-Japanese developer fails to grasp. Maybe it's because the game is still far off and it's somewhere on their to-do list, but something makes me very sceptical that they're going to fix in time.

In M2 that doesn't happen though. room to room it's seamless, area to area everything but samus fades to black, doors are again seamless.

Fuck yeah

Though I have to wonder what this would be, since Super Metroid is an immediate sequel to Metroid 2

Maybe space pirates attack on the way to the station, you board them and take them out

Though that's a bit too close to Zero Mission's new content.

Opa-Pa

Obviously, the post game content will be a long stealth segment with Zero Suit Samus, with lots of gracious ass shots.

Actually fucking keep ZSS out of it as much as possible.

But honestly I'm only half joking. Her death animation uses a ZSS model, and I kinda doubt they bothered making it only for that... Ugh.

Development snippets sound great, btw, I'd love that MS got more freedom in future collaborations if the game does indeed turn out good, similar to how it was with Retro and Prime 1.

Made a 1080p wallpaper from the box art.

Standard

With 4 teaser 'S'

The amiibos will be mine.

Man, thanks a lot for these!

Berordn

Obviously, the post game content will be a long stealth segment with Zero Suit Samus, with lots of gracious ass shots.

Actually fucking keep ZSS out of it as much as possible.

But honestly I'm only half joking. Her death animation uses a ZSS model, and I kinda doubt they bothered making it only for that... Ugh.

Development snippets sound great, btw, I'd love that MS got more freedom in future collaborations if the game does indeed turn out good, similar to how it was with Retro and Prime 1.

Man, thanks a lot for these!

ZSS will probably popup in cutscenes before or after, so it might be nothing.

We can hope at least.

Jaymageck

For those of you who haven't watched the 3DS version of the trailer (And note, it's the download version rather than the one you can view in the in-store browser), do so.

The game looks a lot better with 3D on.

The problem with this is Metroid II flows seamlessly into Super Metroid. Samus takes the Metroid hatchling immediately to the research station.

The only way this really works is if the post-game content is still on SR388 and is before she takes off (Please no crash landing again), but then I feel like Metroid 2's ending has a perfect structure so I don't really like that idea.

Please don't screw this up.

Neiteio

If it weren't for Super Mario Odyssey, Metroid: Samus Returns would be my Game of the Show. I could immediately tell from the first few minutes of live gameplay on the Treehouse that this plays like a dream.

Samus is agile and acrobatic, each animation segueing smoothly into the next. There's this immediacy of control that comes across in the videos, from the tight shooting with its full-circle arc, to the crisp counterattacks dealing critical damage, giving Samus a much-needed option for pushing back enemies that corner her.

The levels seem perfectly calibrated in their proportions, as well, with just the right balance of tight spaces and open places for running, jumping, rolling, and mantling. They enable a zen-like flow that encourages non-stop action and exploration.

And the art direction looks great. Samus has striking poses accentuated by the dynamic camera transitions of cutscenes and counterattacks. The enemies look suitably savage and animalistic in their animations. The colors are vibrant and warm, popping off the screen with gorgeous golds and lavenders. And the well-sculpted environments have organic layers to them that will be well-served by stereoscopic 3D. Speaking of which, it's great to see this game supporting 3D.

I also applaud the use of the second screen, filling in the map in real-time. The player can even annotate it with icons, which will help you remember where you need to return later.

The amiibo are just icing on the cake. I imagine this is the start of a larger Metroid amiibo line that will in the future include Metroid Prime 4 — similar to how the Fire Emblem amiibo started with Echoes and is now continuing with Warriors.

What a wonderful game. MercurySteam may have had trouble in the past, but they're clearly capable with a winning formula like Metroid II as their template, and with the close supervision of Nintendo SPD and Sakamoto himself. Watching the two Treehouse Live streams and reading impressions like Game Informer ("I couldn't stop playing") should lay to rest any concern about this game's quality.

It's just so cool that now both the original NES Metroid and its GB sequel have been remade, with non-numbered titles ("Zero Mission" and "Samus Returns") that make the overall timeline more flexible. Just great stuff all around!

Jofamo

Just checking, but the 3D trailer isn't currently available on the UK/EU eShop, is it? I've hunted everywhere for it but only turned up a streaming version that's sadly in 2D.

They keep mentioning it on the stream, but I take it it's only up in NA right now?

Dremorak

Banned
If it weren't for Super Mario Odyssey, Metroid: Samus Returns would be my Game of the Show. I could immediately tell from the first few minutes of live gameplay on the Treehouse that this plays like a dream.

Samus is agile and acrobatic, each animation segueing smoothly into the next. There's this immediacy of control that comes across in the videos, from the tight shooting with its full-circle arc, to the crisp counterattacks dealing critical damage, giving Samus a much-needed option for pushing back enemies that corner her.

The levels seem perfectly calibrated in their proportions, as well, with just the right balance of tight spaces and open places for running, jumping, rolling, and mantling. They enable a zen-like flow that encourages non-stop action and exploration.

And the art direction looks great. Samus has striking poses accentuated by the dynamic camera transitions of cutscenes and counterattacks. The enemies look suitably savage and animalistic in their animations. The colors are vibrant and warm, popping off the screen with gorgeous golds and lavenders. And the well-sculpted environments have organic layers to them that will be well-served by stereoscopic 3D. Speaking of which, it's great to see this game supporting 3D.

I also applaud the use of the second screen, filling in the map in real-time. The player can even annotate it with icons, which will help you remember where you need to return later.

The amiibo are just icing on the cake. I imagine this is the start of a larger Metroid amiibo line that will in the future include Metroid Prime 4 — similar to how the Fire Emblem amiibo started with Echoes and is now continuing with Warriors.

What a wonderful game. MercurySteam may have had trouble in the past, but they're clearly capable with a winning formula like Metroid II as their template, and with the close supervision of Nintendo SPD and Sakamoto himself. Watching the two Treehouse Live streams and reading impressions like Game Informer ("I couldn't stop playing") should lay to rest any concern about this game's quality.

It's just so cool that now both the original NES Metroid and its GB sequel have been remade, with non-numbered titles ("Zero Mission" and "Samus Returns") that make the overall timeline more flexible. Just great stuff all around!

The animations look awesome. The slowdown when she counters and follows up with a shot, the way she shoots behind like a badass. I agree, top 5 games of the show easily

Cottiny

Banned
Is this really how it went? I ask because I wanted nothing to do with the game after playing the demo, but if so then that's interesting.

Yes that's how it went, they made first all the models in HD and downgraded them for the 3DS. I wouldn't be surprised if they had done the same for Metroid, this remake seems to have high resolution assets. It's not uncommon, Game Freak did the same for Pokemon Sun and Moon so for their next new Pokemon for Switch they won't have to remade all those Pokemon models.

MS proving themselves and becoming the new 2D Metroid studio would be the ultimate irony to me, because if you asked me a couple days ago which relatively known, non hated studio I would never want near my favorite franchises, I'd have answered Mercury Steam, no question.

Hell, I even thanked the heavens when it got leaked that they had pitched a Metroid game to Nintendo and it resulted in nothing.

Now,though? I'm a believer.

Yea, I'm hoping they pull a pull a Double Helix. Their first game, Silent Hill: Homecoming was a solid effort for their first game as a studio and especially with the expectations of being a Silent Hill game no less. Then they did trash, bargain bin games for a few years, until they totally redeemed themselves with Killer Instinct and Strider.

Yeah. Thats the first thing that makes me feel if I will like a game is the tightness in the controls. This game just look likes its gonna be snappy. I just need that in my games.

Neiteio

I have pretty much full confidence in this game. They're using the world map of the original Metroid II as a blueprint, which will not only be a great learning experience for MercurySteam, but should also ensure that this first crack at the bat will have tight level design. That's like 65% of the Metroid experience right there.

And they've clearly enhanced the feel of the core mechanics with fluid movement, faster speed, 360-degree aiming, the laser sights (a visual cue — NOT an aim assist), and of course the counters, which single-handedly elevate the 2D formula.

I don't think the value of the counters can be overstated: They will add variety to boss fights and give you a new tool to escape being cornered by enemies, which pretty much eliminates one of the few points of frustration in these games.

The touchscreen map filling out in real time, fog of war-style, and allowing for annotations addresses another point of frustration. It should make it much easier to keep your bearings. And Scan Pulse might seem OP, but it's regulated by a limited resource, and is a godsend for those who don't want to waste time pixel-hunting.

Like Odyssey, I'm pretty much obsessed with this game. What a great E3 this has been. :)

Top Bottom