• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Ridley327

What was Metroid 2's lenght? That one slipped through my fingers when it came out, hope its meaty enough

It was about as long as a 2D Metroid tends to be: 8-10 hours if you're going in blind, considerably shorter with familiarity within the genre. I would expect this to clock in right around there, though I imagine with having a map present, there's going to be less people getting lost now.

I am curious to see how much it's taking from Zero Mission. That game was rather unique for the 2D Metroid titles in that it was designed for multiple sequence breaks. The nature of 2's design isn't as conducive to sequence breaks, though considering the way they've been mentioning this as more of a reimagining, I'm somewhat hopeful for surprises on that front.

BigDes

Thanks for the info. Don't now jack about the system sadly but will start looking into it at some point in case this turns out well.

Not sure how relevant this is to you but the 3ds family (so 3ds, 2ds etc) are all region locked.

Also the new 2ds Xl is perhaps the best looking non switch handheld Nintendo have made

Rodin

I doubt it. People on Gaf really liked that game and actually think it's of Nintendo quality.

Play AM2R and make your own opinion maybe ?

I played it, the "original" things were atrocious to say the least. I can turn a blind eye to them because it's a good fanmade effort all around, but that shit wouldn't be acceptable in an official game.

So you can like it for every reason you want but putting it into the same conversation as other Metroid games is insane.

It was about as long as a 2D Metroid tends to be: 8-10 hours if you're going in blind, considerably shorter with familiarity within the genre. I would expect this to clock in right around there, though I imagine with having a map present, there's going to be less people getting lost now.

I am curious to see how much it's taking from Zero Mission. That game was rather unique for the 2D Metroid titles in that it was designed for multiple sequence breaks. The nature of 2's design isn't as conducive to sequence breaks, though considering the way they've been mentioning this as more of a reimagining, I'm somewhat hopeful for surprises on that front.

Not sure what this means in terms of what you're hopeful for, but in the developer diary Sakamoto considers this to be essentially a new 2D Metroid. I think the same could have been said of Zero Mission tbh.

_Aaron_

Really happy that MercurySteam is back in the spotlight.

Kind of let down by the visuals, although I'm sure it'll look better on my own screen.

I think a lot of 3DS games end up looking a lot uglier on YouTube videos than they really are.

Ridley327

Not sure what this means in terms of what you're hopeful for, but in the developer diary Sakamoto considers this to be essentially a new 2D Metroid. I think the same could have been said of Zero Mission tbh.

Oh, I agree 100% with that notion. It is honestly more accurate to call Zero Mission a reimagining than a remake, since it throws out so much of the original game.

Pinky

Banned
Man, I'm really starting to think this might be my Game of the Show. I'm super excited for Super Mario Odyssey, Yoshi, Kirby, BotW DLC packs and Metroid Prime 4(its existence alone has me pumped), but Metroid: Samus Returns has sent my hype levels through the roof. I can't stop thinking about it and I love all the gameplay vids I've seen. It's been so long since we've had a 2D Metroid. What a time to be a Metroid fan. Just a few few more months!

*hugs 3DS*

Dr_Ifto

Im more interested in this than Prime 4. I never played Prime 3 and didnt beat prime 2. If those were all on WiiU with a pro controller, id get them and play them again, but im not using the Wii remote.

Not sure how relevant this is to you but the 3ds family (so 3ds, 2ds etc) are all region locked.

Also the new 2ds Xl is perhaps the best looking non switch handheld Nintendo have made

I'm so out of the loop, my last and only handheld ever was the OG Gameboy, no joke. I don't even know what the difference is between all these model names and shit, gotta sit down and read up on all this some day and see what games are must buys.

Mael

The more I see of the game the less it looks like Metroid II.
I'm (re)playing it right now and it's a very different experience from what they're showing here.
From all the remakes I played so far, it's akin to Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu and Sword of Mana.
The overall plot will be similar but that's about it.
It's a good thing it doesn't share the exact same name with the game it's supposed to be remaking.
If it's good, it's good but it's going to be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally different from the usual vintage Metroid experience.
for all the talk about the Prime games being slow to move and everything, Metroid II is closer to that or it would be downright unplayable.
the special power that unlock part of the map is really lame though.

?

Why is that in the customer? Nintendo said a lot of things about the Switch, just like they did with Wii U and Wii and they always say. If you forgot, they said 3rd party supported, many people thought it was real and look again where the support is.... and you wanna blame the person that believed that?
Yes, I blame the customer who buys an extremely expensive product that has yet to prove itself beyond mere words. I didn't purchase a Switch until I knew beyond Zelda and Odyssey I'd be able to enjoy indies alongside them; I didn't buy a PS4 until games started going down in price and a healthy lineup was built. It's literally noones fault but his for buying the console.

Get out of the fanboy bubble and stop defending a company cause they won't stand by you. :)
Buying a system less than a year of release, then complaining about the lack of games, is traditionally a bad idea and does not make you look like an intelligent person. Please stop talking like you know my purchasing history with this company, when the reality is I skipped out on their previous console because of its disappointing quality and lineup.

Mark1

I'm getting strong Zero Mission vibes from this. And that doesnt bother me one bit. I've waited so long for a another 2D Metroid I don't even care if it's a remake.

This is looking likely to be a very fitting last game to end of a very successful handheld console.

On a different note - anyone else hope the Gravity Suit (was it in the original?) doesn't have that weird purple aura which appeared in Other M?

Maedhros

I played it, the "original" things were atrocious to say the least. I can turn a blind eye to them because it's a good fanmade effort all around, but that shit wouldn't be acceptable in an official game.

So you can like it for every reason you want but putting it into the same conversation as other Metroid games is insane.

That's just your opinion. Metroid 2 was always a very shitty game, AM2R made it playable for me and many fans. The original things added were great and I put it up there with any of the Nintendo ones that aren't called Prime or Other M.

I'm getting strong Zero Mission vibes from this. And that doesnt bother me one bit. I've waited so long for a another 2D Metroid I don't even care if it's a remake.

This is looking likely to be a very fitting last game to end of a very successful handheld console.

On a different note - anyone else hope the Gravity Suit (was it in the original?) doesn't have that weird purple aura which appeared in Other M?
There was no Gravity Suit in the original Metroid 2.
It was on AM2R

Ridley327

Were the amiibos ever up on amazon or were they up and are gone now?

No. I'm not sure why this isn't more well known by now, but Amazon doesn't open up orders for Amiibo figures until the day of their release now, even if the page for them is available for months on end.

Ridley327

For those that haven't pre-ordered yet, the Amiibo figures are actually a two-pack that retails for $29.99. With GCU, that'll knock it down to $23.99, which is probably the cheapest you'll be able to get it for, now that Amazon doesn't offer the Prime discount on TTL products.

Rodin

That's just your opinion. Metroid 2 was always a very shitty game, AM2R made it playable for me and many fans. The original things added were great and I put it up there with any of the Nintendo ones that aren't called Prime or Other M.

Metroid 2 wasn't shitty by any stretch of the imagination when it was released, i'd say it was pretty innovative for its time. Of course it didn't age well, and Super is massively superior in every way, but it's still a better game than AM2R. It is no coincidence that the best aspects of the fanmade game are the things he didn't change.

And i'm not sure how much aspects like game design are subjective, but of course you can like what you want.

Semajer

Man, I'm really starting to think this might be my Game of the Show. I'm super excited for Super Mario Odyssey, Yoshi, Kirby, BotW DLC packs and Metroid Prime 4(its existence alone has me pumped), but Metroid: Samus Returns has sent my hype levels through the roof. I can't stop thinking about it and I love all the gameplay vids I've seen. It's been so long since we've had a 2D Metroid. What a time to be a Metroid fan. Just a few few more months!

*hugs 3DS*

Same. The game looks fantastic and it coming out of nowhere excited me more than everything else I've seen so far.

Nerrel

My favorite part of his remake was an original addition, the space ship on the surface with the xenomorph boss. There were a few lulls, but it was a very solid remake. You wouldn't have to iron out too much to have it stand alongside the actual GBA Metroids.

psyfi

Banned

I gotta ask, where are you getting Zero Mission vibes?

13ruce

Banned
What was Metroid 2's lenght? That one slipped through my fingers when it came out, hope its meaty enough

7-10 hours same for AM2R a fan remake showing the map.

And i am pretty sure just like Zero Mission that they will atleast add one extra area or story sequence like the Zero Suit Samus one.

Remember the replay value of 2D Metroid games are insane because the gameplay is so nice (well the remakes/fusion and super metroid atleast).

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
This is low-key one of my games of E3. Looks great, I'd love to see more remakes/reimagining of old 8 bit games.

Any developer concerns are mitigated by the fact Nintendo is steering this ship. And yeah, I know Other M sucked but this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Went to Gamestop today and did a lot of pre-ordering, something I haven't done in quite awhile. Metroid Special Edition, the Amiibo two pack for Metroid, Bayonetta Amiibo, and all 4 new Zelda Amiibos. I don't have a ton of Amiibos, but those were all must buys for me.

Also, our store had 6 Bayonetta Amiibos allocated to them. 3 were left available so I lucked out on that one. :)

Oozer3993

I'm trying to order the game from Amazon (standard since the CE isn't up yet), but it isn't giving me the 20% Prime discount. The page for the game mentions it, but it never shows up during checkout for me.

Have you guys watched the 3D video on 3DS yet? Looks awesome.

That it does! I was really impressed with the level of depth to the 3D.

Toxi

Banned

*hugs 3DS*
This is definitely my game of the show. A startlingly good revival for 2D Metroid.

radcliff

Anyone else think that if this game does well both critically and commercially that Nintendo will continue its relationship with Mercury Steam, similar to what they do with Next Level, Good Feel, Grezzo, Arzest, etc.? They seem pretty capably of making great looking games. Their artistic talent combined with Nintendo producers' oversight could potentially result in another fruitful second party relationship.

BY2K

Membero Americo
More impression from GameSpot.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e...uve-been-wa/1100-6450935/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

While the new style may not seem particularly impressive on video, it's much more striking in person, especially with the handheld's 3D effects turned on; backgrounds appear much more cavernous by receding into the distance, giving the planet an eerier feel. And despite the move to 3D models, Samus is just as responsive and agile to control as she was in her 2D incarnations (though her Morph Ball seems to move with a bit more heft this time around).

While our hands-on time with Metroid: Samus Returns was brief, the demo we played left us wanting to explore more. Like the best Metroid titles, Samus Returns integrates its new mechanics seamlessly into the gameplay, subtly teaching you how to use your new skills through visual cues and clever level design. Whether or not the final game will be worth the nearly decade-long wait will be seen when it arrives on September 15, but so far it certainly looks like a promising return for one of Nintendo's most respected franchises.

Astral Dog

Anyone else think that if this game does well both critically and commercially that Nintendo will continue its relationship with Mercury Steam, similar to what they do with Next Level, Good Feel, Grezzo, Arzest, etc.? They seem pretty capably of making great looking games. Their artistic talent combined with Nintendo producers' oversight could potentially result in another fruitful second party relationship.
Lol i just remembered Mercury Steam was behind those messy looking Castlevania games (they range from gorgeous to boring to fucking hideous in an instant) but they have potential...

I don't that will show in a 3DS remake however, missed oportunity

Top Bottom