• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

ZeoVGM

Banned
Guys, it'll be good. Don't worry.

Nintendo announced a 2D and 3D Metroid today. And some people are still complaining.

Fularu

Banned
Now all the people shitting on Nontendo last year when they killed the Metroid 2 remake look prety dumb sonce they were actually protecting an already in development game

Day one

giapel

Are you guys watching the demo? Everything gameplay addition they showed so far looks ace. Stop obsessing about "the graphics".

Jaymageck

Oh, this trailer got me worried. This better not be the Other M music composer. Other than the main theme the soundtrack for that game is garbage.

I need to hear the Metroid 2 main tunnel theme to feel safe...

composers from Super Metroid, confirmed on Stream. :O

Confirmed by someone who knows what they're talking about or some PR person?

Ninjimbo

The stream is making the game look better than the trailer. Pretty smooth.

I just hope Nintendo holds Mercury to high as fuck standard. I'm not a Metroid guy but I want to see the fans get a good game for all their pain lol.

It looks decent enough to me. I'm sure they went with Mercury Steam because they were cheap and would be able to get the game out at an acceptable enough level in a short time frame (I think this is already coming out in September?). Sure it's not going to be 100% polished, but it looks serviceable enough and can function as an introduction/reintroduction of Metroid to people before the big Metroid Prime 4 comes out.

The game looks fine. I know its not a Sprite Based game but 2.5D looks good enough.

I dont know what what yall were wanting from a Metroid game on 3DS.

This is looking good. WTF are people complaining about?

People complain about everything. They're angry that developing duties have been relegated to Mercury Steam. They're also angry that EAD and not Retro is doing Prime 4 because "they have no FPS experience". Like really? Stop clinging to the status quo.

This is a remake, so I don't get why people are up in a fuss. Grezzo was a no-name developer until they were tasked with remaking Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on 3DS, and those remakes are excellent. It's not like Mercury Steam will make their own Metroid game, jesus.

CamHostage

Shooting seems ropey, they're spending a lot of effort trying to make shots connect, but the 360 aiming is in theory something good for the series so hopefully it's something to get used to. Feels like you need that knockback a lot.

Also the level traversal seems sort of off for some weird reason. (It looks like a linear game engine that got rejiggered to have interconnected tunnels, if that makes any sense?) Again, play might clear up that feeling.

I really like how expressive Samus is, how she strikes poses when shooting and swings her arm back when firing behind her and flips into her spin-jumps. Not a great character model, but it looks fine at a distance.

The Metroids looked weird on the feed (sort of blocky and ill-textured) but I think the transparency may look better on the 3DS screen because when you see a Metroid get sick, its texture evolved and the cracked-dry Metroid looked amazing.

...I want to like it. Not totally sold, something about it feels not-Nintendo'ish (which makes sense since MercurySteam is developing) but there's plenty to like in the long playthrough.

fhqwhgads

Two Metroid game announcements in one day and Metroid fans STILL find something to bitch about. It's no wonder Metroid fans have such a poor reputation.

Instro

I wonder if MS is the European support mentioned for MP4?

I think it's pretty clear with some of this 3DS stuff that they were not sure if the Switch would take off or bomb, so they hedged their bets.

Mael

I'm actually glad Mercury Steam ain't dead because actual people work there.
It's funny because they're the only dev who have worked on the Metroid and Castlevania franchise, basically they're the Metroidvania devs now!
Cautiously optimistic, I don't really like the action sequence I'm seeing but I certainly hope Sakamoto won't find a way to fuck it up!
At least it's on 3DS so it's impossible to fuck it up with the control scheme.
Also they better fucking nail it because that's my fav 2D Metroid right there they're remaking!

rtcn63

I've played Metroid 2 so many times (including the PC remake) but it's probably my least favorite of the bunch.

Yusssssssssssss

Samus Returns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hate prime (not the game which is good) but it's not a real metroid.

i'm going back to brinstar and nofair

Even if you don't think it looks amazing, I hope all Metroid fans that want traditional games in the series to continue still support this. I will be.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I sold my launch 3DS a few weeks ago

9Mw8oJZ.gif
Still got mine :p

Top Bottom