• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Both MercurySteam and Sakamoto being involved is not my favorite idea (I didn't like any of MercurySteam's Castlevania titles, and Sakamoto is, well, Sakamoto) but I'll keep an open mind. It looks fine so far though, but we'll see.

Cpt Lmao

Can one person in this thread go beyond copy and paste opinions and actually explain what's wrong with Mercury Steam in this context?

The game looks good. Clearly your 'oh no Mercury Steam' complaints are being voided.

Z3M0G

Seriously... a remake of Metroid II is basically a new Metroid... it will be so far evolved the original that it will be pretty much a completely different game end to end. This is not like the Metroid I remake, which is more 1-1. The GB game was held back so much by the hardware, there is no point in remapping that 1-1 for a modern platform. MII was also VERY linear due to this, and this is likely to be far more open. Just watching this stream, that is completely apparent.

More people would still go back and discover the original NES game. How many people over the last decade have gone back to experience the GameBoy title for the first time...?

This is my game of E3, hands down. First time I feel actual hype for a game this year.

No go play Federation Force... seriously! Great game!

Jazzem

So happy we're getting another Metroid in this style, though the QTEs/dev history/low res 3DS visuals are admittedly a bit of a buzzkill. Also I hope to god it's 60fps

I sold my launch 3DS a few weeks ago

9Mw8oJZ.gif

jwillenn

Normally I'd say "wish this was on Switch instead", but I'm so happy this exists that I can't wait to whip out the 3DS again to play it. I'm watching Treehouse now and it looks spectacular!

In case anybody missed the release date, the text under the trailer on YouTube (and the trailer itself, now that I look at it again) specifies it as the 15th of September. Yes, 2017. Yes, it's very soon.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Today is a good day for Metroid fans. I don't consider myself a huge fan, but I love the Prime games and enjoyed Zero Mission a lot, so I'm very happy to see this. Sadly it seems there won't be a Switch version, but I'm interested anyway.

Gino

I didn't like the Castlevania MS games but this is Nintendo not Konami. This is Metroid, not Castlevania, and this is a 2d Remake of an already great game.

Moff

I love how the 2 girls play and talk about the game and hardly interact with the developers at all

border

It's funny how AM2R looks like a professionally done game, and Samus Returns looks like somebody's janky fan project that they did for college credit.

Aesnath

Well, I'll probably buy it no matter what, but I have to say the trailer was a bit underwhelming. They seem really keen on Samus having a melee attack.

Top Bottom