• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

3DS officially got the best lineup for a console since SNES. A great 2D Metroid is everything was left.

And what a year for Nintendo games reviews.

It is pretty crazy how so many Nintendo franchises got their due on the system.

Mario (both 2D and 3D), Zelda, Mario Kart, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Pokemon, Smash Bros., Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong Country, Nintendogs, PilotWings, and now Metroid.

Only a few notable omissions, such as F-Zero, Punch-Out!! and WarioWare.

BiggNife

Are people seriously disappointed by an 88 metacritic score

I'm personally super relieved

Between MercurySteam's spotty track record and the "it's good but not great" reception it mostly got at e3 I was afraid this game would be a gigantic letdown and the final nail in the coffin for Metroid

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Took me 19 hours to 100%, but I heard someone else say they got 100% in like 13 hours. I know someone else who finished it in 7.5 hours (not going for 100%). I imagine if you know what you're doing, you can blaze through it fairly quickly (3-4 hours?).

Thanks--I like the sound of that.

Between MercurySteam's spotty track record and the "it's good but not great" reception it mostly got at e3 I was afraid this game would be a gigantic letdown and the final nail in the coffin for Metroid

I recall the previews/impressions for it at E3 being hugely positive. A lot more than "it's good but not great" as you put it.

Is NintendoLife aware there are numbers below 10?

Jokes aside, I'm glad this game is getting good reception. Hope this sets the stage for more 2D Metroid in the future.

BiggNife

I recall the previews/impressions for it at E3 being hugely positive. A lot more than "it's good but not great" as you put it.
Well I guess I heard different impressions than you did. Giant Bomb in particular seemed pretty iffy on it and Dan Ryckert mentioned a few times he felt he'd rather just play AM2R.

That's the biggest problem for me, it just looks ugly :(

It definitely has that Mirror of Fate look; even the ingame takedown/counter animations have the same stiffness. Regardless, I still prefer what we have with Samus Returns over the art style seen in Federation Force.

eu-esperando-resultado-lotofacil.gif

Now I watch as MercurySteam turns from the most hated studio on Gaf to the most beloved, ha.
Well I am really glad that Samus Returns is that good and getting all these positive reviews, now one can be sure MercurySteam will be making more and more games in partnership. I think now they may go for a new 2D game, though I have no doubt that they still want to make a 3D game, but they may want to play it safe with another 2D game, especially that Prime 4 is already in development.
Just scoring above Lords of Shadow.

Why the hell did people like Lords of Shadow so much?
Because it was freaking awesome ?, I fucking love the Lords of Shadow Saga, despite some of the shortcomings, it is still one of my favorites sagas.

Hopefully the positive reception will lead to incredible sales, and incredible sales will lead to Nintendo enlisting MercuryStream for another, hopefully original take on 2.5D Metroid. I Dread to think of what they can do with a unique story and scenario.
The only thing Nintendo dread is continuing the series plotline after Fusion left us dangling.

So... the next 2D Metroid to be a remake of Super Metroid? Holy shit if so.
Ehhhhh, I don't see any need to, the game holds up tremendously well.
I'd only want it remade to have smoother Zero Mission style controls and for some that would be heresy.
Actually remaking Super Metroid in any way shape or form seems like a purist shit storm waiting to happen.

After 2015 and 2016, this feels like an incredible breath of fresh air.
2015 started off good, just forget about the back half, sans the greatness that was Mario Maker, and
colour splash

My review on InsideGamer (it's in Dutch): click here

Translation of conclusion:

Metroid: Samus Returns offers everything fans of de Metroid-franchise want, but thanks to the clear gameworld structure its also a great first entry for newcomers. The 3DS has too few buttons for the many moves of Samus, which is why it takes some hours to get used to the controls - but when you do, its a tremendous enjoyable experience. Samus Returns is a fantastic return of one of the toughest heroines in the game-industry.

+ Great level structure
+ Lots of fun to use moves
+ Long game that never bores
- 3DS hasn't got enough buttons for the many moves
- Some more variation and world-building would have been great

9+

Don't be afraid to ask anything, I'll try to answer.

Does it have an 3D mode?

Can't wait for the European Limited edition to arrive on Friday.

KingBroly

Banned
Looks a blind playthrough is 6-7 hours without going for 100% items, with that one looking to be 10+ hours. Very meaty for a 2D Metroid, to say the least.

So we're comparing length to an NES game, a Game Boy, an SNES game and 2 GBA games (1 of which was a remake). Meaty? Eh...maybe above average.

Ninja Samus>Tank Samus

I mean she's been super human since day one right? I'm pretty sure it's stated she had been genetically modified by the Chozo and even some of the ending flashbacks in Fusion/Zero mission show her being very active without the suit.

Macka

Looks a blind playthrough is 6-7 hours without going for 100% items, with that one looking to be 10+ hours. Very meaty for a 2D Metroid, to say the least.
Peter Brown of GameSpot is saying a 100% run on standard difficulty took just under 20 hours. And he's apparently a big fan series.

Ridley327

So we're comparing length to an NES game, a Game Boy, an SNES game and 2 GBA games (1 of which was a remake). Meaty? Eh...maybe above average.

Hence, "meaty for a 2D Metroid game." Beloved as they are, they're not what one might consider lengthy adventures.

Toxi

Banned
Ninja Samus>Tank Samus

I mean she's been super human since day one right? I'm pretty sure it's stated she had been genetically modified by the Chozo and even some of the ending flashbacks in Fusion/Zero mission show her being very active without the suit.
I really don't care whether it's ninja or tank as long as the game plays well. Other M is ninja Samus and has a shit control scheme and lackluster level design. Prime is tank Samus and a classic.

It doesn't need to be JRPG length.

How's the FPS, guys? I see some of you have played it.

The game looks fluid and dynamic...really looking forward to it.

Stable, except when you take an elevator where it drops heavily.
Funny thing: during the first minutes I jumped on the edge of Samus' gunship and she got stuck doing flips over and over, like she was falling. As soon as I move her, she stopped. Maybe some speedrunner will use that glitch one day.

T.O.P

Banned
Anybody playing this on the original 2DS? i'm just about to buy one for this (gotta support Metroid one way or another)

Peltz

Preordered. I'm willing to give it a chance with these decent review scores even though I really don't like the art style. Metroid is my jam.

But I'm willing to bet that Eurogamer has the most accurate take on this game. We'll see how history remembers it, but I'm going to play it now when the hype is still there.

Toxi

Banned
Fantastic scores. I didn't expect such praise considering it's "only a remake".
Well...
Polygon said:
To call Metroid: Samus Returns a remake feels unfair. Remakes are old games with new coats of paint: an upgrade in resolution here, reworked artwork there. Samus Returns is far more than that. It’s a top-to-bottom reimagining, bringing the bones of a game that’s over 25 years old into the modern era with fantastic results.

Top Bottom