• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Whats the word on playtime.

6-8 hours?

Seems great so far. Of course many sites gave Other M a great score so i'm not sure how much stock i should put in these reviews. Gamexplain gave Federation Force a great score which is a huge red flag. Guess it doesn't matter though still going to check it out though.

Did you play Federation Force?

D.Lo

It's kinda happened before:

2002. Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker (though only in Japan).

1986: Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 2 (only in Japan)
Metroid Prime was 2003 in Japan, Wind Waker 2003 outside of Japan.

And I said 'great' Mario Game. Super Mario Bros. 2 is a bad expansion pack really.

MechaX

Game gets good review.

Person:........

Game gets another good review.

Person:..............

Game gets first negative review

Persona:Aw man you know I was really looking forward to this game but it looks like it isn't that great. Oh well.

People having this line of thought is always crazy to me whenever I see it.

Like, just admit that you were not interested in the game all that much in the first place instead of searching for that first negative review for so you can not only personally validate your feelings, but also announce "see guys, this review confirms it has issues, so now I can publicly announce I am not getting it and be fine!"

rekameohs

Banned
It's funny how the ign review deservedly calls Other M "disappointing" and then you remember ign also gave that game 8.5.

I know it's not the same reviewer but it goes to show how stupid that Other M ign review was. Jesus.
People were way, way, waaaaaay too kind to Other M on release because it was the first new main series Metroid in 6 years. I think people have learned since then.

Oozer3993

Friday can't come soon enough. And not just because I'm getting over a sore throat right now.

Metroid Prime was 2003 in Japan, Wind Waker 2003 outside of Japan.

And I said 'great' Mario Game. Super Mario Bros. 2 is a bad expansion pack really.

Prime was 2003 in Japan? I did not know that. I learned something today!

I'm not high on the OG Mario 2, I just thought I'd mention it since it seemed cool to me that all three franchises had releases the year I was born :p

Yes i did and payed full price for it. To show my support because the developers seemed really passionate about it in interviews i read prior to the release and thinking,this cant be too bad.
Big mistake

Did you play with other people? It's not a good solo game but quite fun with others

D.Lo

Mark Brown reviewed the game for Pocket Gamer

Not a huge though he still enjoyed it. He prefers AM2R though
Ugh that comic is true for some people...
xqkhiQo.jpg

Toxi

Banned
Game gets good review.

Person:Aw man you know I was really looking forward to this game but it looks like it isn't that great. Oh well.
To be fair, I prefer it to

Game gets good review.

Person: FUCK THIS GUY FOR NOT LIKING A GAME I HAVEN'T PLAYED! THE NEW ZELDA/UNCHARTED DESERVES ONLY ELEVEN OUT OF TENS!
Glad we haven't had any meltdowns like that yet.

How is stereoscopic 3D and framerate?

Very good 3D with a little bit of ghosting, stable framerate (expect when you take the elevators, if anyone cares)

Is shinespark still present in the game ?
No, no speedbooster. Though
there's a move you can pull of (required to get some powerups) that gives you a good push.
Won't spoil anything else 'til the game is out.

Nemesis_

I think that AM2R as a remake is more of a fan-fiction kind of remake, if that makes sense. And I don't use that in a bad way. It just means that there's a lot of shit thrown into AM2R that makes it..........feel weird. Stuff like the weapons testing thing in the bottom of the planet or the flying torizo are great to play and super fun but felt so odd and out of place in that world.

While Samus Returns is definitely much more restrained with how it overhauls the game it's based on (it only features
two new boss battles plus some new scenarios but not heaps
) every Metroid encounter is pretty fun and a little bit more thoughtfully put together.

Both are fantastic interpretations of the original and I think we're incredibly lucky to have both. But both have their pros and cons, as you'd expect.

I just don't want people to think Samus Returns is terrible because of AM2R or that AM2R is worthless because it's not official. Both are absolutely fantastic.

I'm surprised Mark Brown enjoyed AM2R more than Samus Returns, but eh

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only really seeing that divide in 1 or 2 reviews. The vast majority of them fucking love the game.

You're probably right. I did only skim and may have gotten the wrong idea of the balance.

PK Gaming

If they're talking about what I think they're talking about, it's a legitimate complaint. It took me forever to figure that out, and it was mostly luck. On rare (very rare) occasions, the game does a shit job of explaining what you need to do to proceed past a new obstacle - but moooost of the time it's good.

Those spikes are no joke. It had me and 10 other reviewers collaborating for days to try and solve it. The solution obviously makes you feel dumb.

Spikes only hide missile upgrades so they aren't mandatory for completion anyway.

Took me 30 minutes to get that powerup, but it felt amazing when I found the solution (it was also kinda logical ad that point, but still...). Reminded me of the first time I discovered the speed jump in Super Metroid.

Damn, I was alone thinking "all those other reviewers have probably found the solution after 3 seconds"

Brief aside, but this was a fantastic exchange. I'd love to see more reviewers corroborate each other's points.

Toxi

Banned
No, no speedbooster.
Though there's a move you can pull of (required to get some powerups) that gives you a good push.
Won't spoil anything else 'til the game is out.
Ooooh. Really interested in what this will be.

Ugh that comic is true for some people...
xqkhiQo.jpg
That's a totally rational and not overly defensive reaction to someone who has played both and is giving their honest opinion.

Whaaaaaaaat?

You won't miss it due to the vertical design (perfect for the Spider Ball and Screwattack), but the last Aeion ability they showed at gamescom
kinda substitutes the speed booster... though I didn't use it as much as I hoped in the game.

Instro

Sounds good, although a few of the comments in the Eurogamer review line up with my preconceived notions about the game. Regardless I'll be picking it up at some point, although I might wait a little bit just to see if it ends up getting a Switch port.

Toxi

Banned
You won't miss it due to the vertical design (perfect for the Spider Ball and Screwattack), but the last Aeion ability they showed at gamescom kinda substitutes the speed booster... though I didn't use it as much as I hoped in the game.
Would you describe it as more vertically designed than the GBA games?

Would you describe it as more vertically designed than the GBA games?
It's really like Metroid II on that side (remember those huge vertical rooms?) so it felt definitely more vertical than Zero Mission or Fusion. You literally dig through the planet.

LeonSPBR

Reading these reviews is making me want to play even more. Great reviews and after waiting 13 years for a 2d Metroid, I'm so glad it's good.

KingBroly

Banned
No sympathies for Nintendo on this one. AM2R despite some flaws turned out to be a better game than their entire 2016 line up combined.

Kirby Planet Robobot

It's irrational for people to hate on Samus Returns for Nintendo shutting AM2R down when they had the legal authority and necessity to do so. Also, the more distance you put between them, the less comparisons you'll get.

It would have been REALLY stupid for Nintendo to say 'we took this down because we're remaking Metroid 2 ourselves' at the same time.

VDenter

Banned
Kirby Planet Robobot

It's irrational for people to hate on Samus Returns for Nintendo shutting AM2R down when they had the legal authority and necessity to do so. Also, the more distance you put between them, the less comparisons you'll get.

It would have been REALLY stupid for Nintendo to say 'we took this down because we're remaking Metroid 2 ourselves' at the same time.

The thing is nobody is hating on it and the assumption that fans would ignore it based on the fact that AM2R exists is idiotic.

Top Bottom