• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just read that cutscenes aren't skippable, making boss intros really irritating if you have to repeat their fights on death.

This has to be a Nintendo mandate. Just ugh.

KingBroly

Banned
The thing is nobody is hating on it and the assumption that fans would ignore it based on the fact that AM2R exists is idiotic.

There were a couple of youtube videos when Samus Returns was announced about how it missed the mark and didn't deserve to be called a Metroid game despite it just being announced.

They should have just got with the AM2R guy, and included his version with the final release.

That's simply asking for trouble.

jokkir

I'm still surprised a new side scrolling Metroid is coming out. I played the shit out of Fusion and Zero Mission and can't wait to play this

I dont understand the point of even complaining about this.

They specifically C&D'ed AM2R to make their own remake. People will thus compare the two games.

Mercury steam almost certainly were contracted to start work on Samus returns shortly after they shipped their prior game in the first quarter of 2014.

There is no realistic circumstance where they didn't have many months of work done on this before the AM2R release in August last year.

That's simply asking for trouble.

I think the thing a lot of people forget about in regards to Taxman is that he has his own entire game engine to work with. SEGA didn't take something like Retro Sonic The Hedgehog and made it official, they just had Taxman and his friends make an all new Sonic game using the Retro engine. AM2R on the other hand was made in GameMaker. Considering how SR has an 88 on MC, there wasn't much of a pressing need on Nintendo's part to get DoctorM64 involved, especially when now he's working on Ori.

Opa-Pa

Hmm, I'm very glad to see such positive reviews for sure, and that MC score is remarkable, but I'm worried that Parish and Brown, both critics I usually agree with in almost everything, are lukewarm on the game point out things I've been worried for since its reveal as negative points.

More methodical gameplay due to melee counter, and thus more repetitive, and the ability to teleport between areas making discovering secrets feel like a chore... I know I'll like this but I want it to be great too, not just good. Hopefully they won't bother me too much once I play it myself, but stuff like that sounds exactly like the kind of things I dislike from MercurySteam games.

VDenter

Banned
There were a couple of youtube videos when Samus Returns was announced about how it missed the mark and didn't deserve to be called a Metroid game despite it just being announced..

There was some complaining to be sure but most of it seemed to stem from the fact that many wanted the game on the switch,some had doubts that mercury steam could pull it off and the way the Amiibo situation was handled. Maybe a very small portion of fans were not going to buy it because AM2R exist but i do not think those people are fans in the first place.

Of course many would compare it to AM2R its only natural but i doubt it was the thing stopping people from buying the official remake.

Toxi

Banned
The US Gamer review really has me excited.

So glad they're going with a minimalist approach to Metroid again; fuck Adam, fuck the Aurora Unit, fuck Adam again, I want to chart my own path. And Samus Returns looks like it'll be offering that option.

What a fucking year, and it's not even over yet! Odyssey and others await (plus even more depending what's announced tomorrow.)

ghibli99

YES. I was thinking this might be in the low/mid-80s MC-wise (remake, not on Switch, etc.), but nearly a 90 is fantastic. Can't wait to play it on Friday! And then Odyssey next month. What a year.

Sothpaw

I can't play until the 22nd, but I am genuinely excited for this. New Metroid games (real ones not Other M) are rare and among the very best the hobby offers.

Astral Dog

Seems great so far. Of course many sites gave Other M a great score so i'm not sure how much stock i should put in these reviews. Gamexplain gave Federation Force a great score which is a huge red flag. Guess it doesn't matter though still going to check it out though.
Yeeeah i understand your point, but still, you know exactly what kind of game this is and what its trying to do, so the reviews scores are opinions based on that metric.

Samus Returns is pure 2D Metroid, no story, no linearity nospace station i understand if you don't like the graphics though

Glad to hear the game turned out just as great as all the previews were saying. I'm really excited to get this game. It sounds just like what I want from a Metroid game.

Ansatz

Amazing scores and congratulations to Mercury Steam, sadly though the reviews and footage don't excite me at all for this game besides the music/sound. I've always wanted a sidescrolling polygonal 3DS entry but I can't quite put my finger on why I'm not itching to play this. It feels strange similar to Yooka-Laylee as in it's something i've been wanting badly but when the game is actually made... meh. Maybe Nintendo is very strict when it comes to what reviewers are allowed to show and talk about? Because if this truly is a Metroidvania on par with Super and SotN in terms of atmosphere, twists and quality of level design then that would instantly change my mind but I'm not seeing it atm, like at all

No longer will people wonder why Metroid can't crawl (credit: NintenDaan)
DJiWDO0XgAEjVx_

Astral Dog

None of the videos I saw so far have led me to believe it is... they have all been on regular non-60 fps YouTube vids though. Can someone please confirm?
Wow i was hoping due to how ugly this was compared to their Castlevania game,but maybe its just 3DS

The fan base hated it right from the jump and collectively wondered what the hell game reviewers played.

I guess you're right. Reviews for Other M were indeed lower than I expected from a new console Metroid game (and decidedly lower than all three Prime games before it) but yeah the reviews were still too damn high. Puts it into perspective when both IGN reviews of Other M and SR call their respective games "good" and get 8.5 but SR guy said Other M disappointed..

Ashby

Good lord, I'm still taking my sweet time enjoying the heck out of Mario + Rabbids. Nintendo is crushing it.

Top Bottom