• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Twin Snakes - Possible for Switch says Former Silicon Knights President

I generally like the new over the top cutscenes, aside from moments like smacking himself in the head incredibly hard, and pulling a gun on the armstech president. But it's mostly downhill from there. The controls suck (not a fan of the GameCube controller in general)and the game wasn't adapted to the added MGS2 mechanics, the new music is largely trash and ruins a classic moment later in the game, and the voice acting is weak (they wisely removed mei ling's accent, but the actress sounds bored as do most the rest of the cast).

They also made odd changes to the dialogue apparently in an effort to make it closer to the Japanese text. "It's not a weak point, I like to think of it as a character flaw" became "It's not a weak point, it's a weakness!"

Edit: and Otacon's model looks really fucking weird.

LordRaptor

He would have about as much to do with those being ported as TTS being ported. Fair question imo

He would know if there was some sort of legal clusterfuck preventing it happening, but he would know fuck all about the legal status of any other MGS title

JP

This is hilarious. Hideo Kojima wanted it over the top. My only real complaint was the new mgs2 controls made mgs1 crazy easy. That's about it.
How does "over the top" relate to what I've said?

I have no issues with anything to do with what you've called "over the top", which is why this is the first time that I've used those words. It seems that I'm actually one of the very few people in this thread who hasn't used those words. You could have blindly quoted any post in the thread without reading it first and it would have almost certainly been more relevant to your "over the top" thing than the one that you chose to quote. 🙂

I would definitely buy it if it got ported to the Switch. I absolutely loved TTT when I first played it on the GCN.

I’ve also played the original MGS1 as well but I still prefer TTT.

dysonEA

I would love to see the ultimate MGS HD collection on the Switch with Twin Snakes, Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater all in their HD glory.

I would also double dip for a MGSV on Switch ... man this thread makes me sad that its not happening :(

t1gerjaw

Just Denis being Denis I guess.
Silicon Knights' downfall was so sad to watch, I used to adore them, but they had to fuck it all up.
Really wished we'd got the original Too Human, not that abomination on the Xbox 360.

After reading that ZOE2 is getting a PS4 remaster today it reminded me of Denis's comment earlier this year. Now more than ever it seems way more likely that this remaster can happen. I would love to have a modern way to play the first MGS story instead of having to pull out my Gamecube each time I wanted to play it. The only downside is that it would likely still be a Nintendo exclusive and piss of a bunch of gamers all over again for not being MGS1 or on other consoles.
(heck, I'm sure a bunch of people are going to be offended just reading this thread title)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
After reading that ZOE2 is getting a PS4 remaster today it reminded me of Denis's comment earlier this year. Now more than ever it seems way more likely that this remaster can happen. I would love to have a modern way to play the first MGS story instead of having to pull out my Gamecube each time I wanted to play it. The only downside is that it would likely still be a Nintendo exclusive and piss of a bunch of gamers all over again for not being MGS1 or on other consoles.
(heck, I'm sure a bunch of people are going to be offended just reading this thread title)

Why does ZOE2 makes this possible?

dreamfall

I don't really believe it, but a general desire for a ton of Switch ports is always growing.

It just seems like the perfect machine to play so many older titles on the go, and yet there haven't been many announcements.

Being a huge fan of the original version, I would get it if it ever came to the switch. Despite the mixed reception, I always wanted to play it on Gamecube but never got my hands on it.

I would love some Eternal Darkness (or a sequel!) as well, though...

We should really have a rule where Dyack gets addressed as 'disgraced former neogaf member'.

I couldn't really tell who we were talking about from the title alone.

I'm mostly offended that you bumped this because of a VR remake when Dyack left his company to fucking die from the lawsuit he started himself and believe he had any credibility to the feasibility of a Twin snakes port to the Switch.

That is a ridiculous reach tbh

Toybasher

Neo Member
I liked some of the things Twin Snakes did. (AI could see better and hear better, for example the clanky grating in the tank hanger would make people on the floors below come up to investigate, while in the original they only heard you if you were right behind them, being able to shoot cameras, attack teams clearing out rooms, etc.)

I disliked some of the changes though. Being able to shoot from FPV made the game a bit easy, and some boss fights turned into a complete joke because of it, like the tank fight.

Also some of the cutscenes were rather dumb. Apparently they ORIGINALLY were just like the PSX version but Kojima didn't like it, and told the cutscene artist to make them in "his own style" instead. It's not game-breaking or anything but some of the changes are just weird, like Snake almost shooting Baker because he forgot Meryl's frequency, or the jet noises. (chipcheezum pokes a lot of fun at those)

Also the lack of pressure sensitive controls on gamecube means you have to hold Y to not fire. So to run while not shooting the famas you had to claw your thumb over Y, B, and A. I dunno if the Switch has them but you'd need to have the source code I guess to make those changes to make it more in line with the PS2 versions of MGS2-3 (Hold light to aim, hold hard to fire)

Personally I would like to see it on the Switch. While it's not as good as the original it's still a respectable "Remake" of sorts, and I'd gladly play through it again.

EDIT: Speaking of Silicon Knights, what about an Eternal Darkness switch port?

I'm mostly offended that you bumped this because of a VR remake when Dyack left his company to fucking die from the lawsuit he started himself and believe he had any credibility to the feasibility of a Twin snakes port to the Switch.

I hate Dyack just as much as anyone else who knows what he did to his team, and now realize that maybe his word was probably not the best to go off. I got caught up in the excitement of the ZOE2 remake and I absolutely love MGS1/TS

Bruh, for one, you might wanna think again in the future before bumping a thread like this on a whim, and two, even the OP was some random dude asking Dyack, who doesn't even work there anymore, "could this ever possibly maybe one day happen" and him responding with a one word pr-friendly "yes." There is absolutely no indication that this is actually in the works, just dreams and fairy dust.

Top Bottom