• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Twin Snakes - Possible for Switch says Former Silicon Knights President

tkscz

For me, it's not just about having the same control method or same camera controls in relation to gameplay. Gameplay is about the complete experience that you have while playing with a game, it incorporates everything about that game.

What I'm saying is not about how good or bad individual aspects of Twin Snakes are, it's not about the controls on their own, the camera on its own. the cutscenes on their own, or anything on its own. Twin Snakes could have the best of any of these individual items of any game that's ever been made but when assessing the game as a whole experience, this where the issue lies for me.

The individual parts of the game just don't work as well as a whole in any way close to how they did in the proper game. I have no issue with remakes or remasters of games and there are plenty out there that do work well but at no point while playing this did game feel like a whole to me.

There was a clumsiness to the whole that the original lacked.

I just can't agree with this. For me, it all came together just fine. None of it felt stitched together, but actually put together in a way different from the original, but not bad. To me, the controls stand on their own and fit the controller best.

Gestault

Even assuming his simplistic lie weren't that, I'm curious how the financials would play out with Dyack having effectively stripped and abandoned SK to dodge the legal results of the case with Epic (to then start a new game company with a lot of the same management). Even ignoring that, I don't believe for a second that SK retains unilateral publishing rights to Twin Snakes. Feel free to prove me wrong, Mr Dyack.

XaosWolf

Twin Snakes was the Shadow Moses Incident as told by a 6 year old who idolises Solid Snake. "AND THEN THE ROBOT NINJA SLICED OUT A CHUNK OF THE CEILING AND KICKED IT AT SNAKE BUT HE WAS ALL LIKE BWWWWOOOOOSH AND BACKFLIPPED OVER IT"

So yes, I'd love a Switch port because Twin Snakes is fucking amazing. =)

VDenter

Banned
Why would anyone play TS? It's the lesser mgs1 game.

Because its a interesting remake for curiosity's sake. In a similar way Mario 64 DS is.
Even if it may be inferior to the original. To be honest Twin Snakes definitely fixed a major blunder with the original game which was the backtracking. Also i can very easily see if somebody grew up with it instead of the original they would probably prefer it.

Because its a interesting remake for curiosity's sake. In a similar way Mario 64 DS is.
Even if it may be inferior to the original. To be honest Twin Snakes definitely fixed some major blunder with the original game which was the backtracking. Also i can very easily see if somebody grew up with it instead of the original they would probably prefer it.

Game is just weird it does somethings right I'll give it that much.

"Former Silicon Knights President"

lol

1) Dyack has zero control over this.
2) Twin Snakes cutscenes were bad. Just watch this. Watch it and tell me this is not terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9mQKZMOzLs

was going to come in here defending twin snakes...I rented it from a blockbuster (lol). It was years after I played an MGS so I remember actually enjoying it for what it was on GC when it came out.

but after watching that cutscene

3E34hG0.jpg

im out. all arguments invalid

LordRaptor

Are you saying a cyborg ninja can't jump around like...what a cyborg ninja would do?

Why don't you like the TTS cutscene where Snake jumps off a missile? Or does a backflip 360 to kick up a rifle and shoot Sniper Wolf?

Please.

Are you saying the super-clone (with all the good genes) of the worlds most dangeous soldier capable of communicating with extra-dimensional beings from a higher plane to obtain codec addresses and bypass telepathic premonitions can't jump off missiles like... what such a hypothetical being would do?

Because I have video evidence he can

I wanna play this someday. Feels like the CDI game of the MGS series.

Eh, I don't think it's that much of an oddity. I just think the problem is that the execution doesn't match the promise of the pitch. On paper, it sounds like a no-brainer -- a product that should render the original completely obsolete. It definitely falls short of that.

I completely understand why people prefer the original and would even recommend the original myself. But I honestly think that a lot of the "this game is irredeemable trash" sentiment out there is just coming from people that think the original is sacrosanct.

Twin Snakes is goofy and has its fair share of problems. But it's an interesting experiment. It's not like this is the case where a cynical company took over long after the fact and intentionally shit on the spirit of the original as a quick cash-in. It was an idea that made a lot of sense at the time that had Kojima's blessing even if he had very little involvement in it.

Fisty

Are you saying the super-clone (with all the good genes) of the worlds most dangeous soldier capable of communicating with extra-dimensional beings from a higher plane to obtain codec addresses and bypass telepathic premonitions can't jump off missiles like... what such a hypothetical being would do?

Because I have video evidence he can

The guy with all the good genes was in the HIND

cackhyena

Can I have MGSV cut down to just the mission areas that matter an no mother base stuff? Cuz that would be amazing on Switch k thanks.

Fisty

I mean, the fact we're even discussing "good genes" like the human genome is a vegas buffet should be a huge red flag to those who want to argue dat grounded realism tho

It's not about grounded realism, it's about the character, his motivations, and his limitations. Snake is just a regular dude who wants to leave his soldier days behind him. He is the "normal" in a game full of "fantastical" and serves as both the player voice and grounding element.

Oh but now he picks up rifles by backflipping, and leaps off a missle and fires a stinger in mid air **walks away from explosion in slow motion***

It's not about grounded realism, it's about the character, his motivations, and his limitations. Snake is just a regular dude who wants to leave his soldier days behind him. He is the "normal" in a game full of "fantastical" and serves as both the player voice and grounding element.

Oh but now he picks up rifles by backflipping, and leaps off a missle and fires a stinger in mid air **walks away from explosion in slow motion***

My takeaway is that it's certainly tonally different from the original. However, it doesn't feel out of character from later games in the series. I don't know. I'm out of my element here as I ultimately think that the story in Metal Gear Solid is pretty dumb no matter which game we are talking about. My favorite approach was Rising's where they just embrace how god damn ridiculous this all is and turn the stupidity dial up to 11 and have fun with it.

LordRaptor

Snake is just a regular dude

I mean, even leaving out his utterly fantastical - in its literal sense - backstory, we're still at "Just a regular dude sent into a secured location populated by trained military hostiles and literal super villains, one of whom can see the future to singlehandedly be a bad enough dude to save the head of DARPA" as the elevator pitch.

e:
My favorite approach was Rising's where they just embrace how god damn ridiculous this all is and turn the stupidity dial up to 11 and have fun with it.

I agree.
If I wanted po-faced taking itself too seriously military-industrial fetishisation, I'd enjoy some other game series, probably one with a Tom Clancy's _____ prefix.

Love The Twin Snakes, blemishes and all, and no one will convince me otherwise.

Don't have a Switch yet but I'm interested in one down the road, so I'm rooting for an HD port.

Differences in opinion on taste and aesthetic are obviously not the same argument as people just dismissively calling MGS "realistic" and TTS "animu trash"

My takeaway is that it's certainly tonally different from the original. However, it doesn't feel out of character from later games in the series. I don't know. I'm out of my element here as I ultimately think that the story in Metal Gear Solid is pretty dumb no matter which game we are talking about. My favorite approach was Rising's where they just embrace how god damn ridiculous this all is and turn the stupidity dial up to 11 and have fun with it.

I agree.
If I wanted po-faced taking itself too seriously military-industrial fetishisation, I'd enjoy some other game series, probably one with a Tom Clancy's _____ prefix.

It’s an interesting discussion. I’m not opposed in principle to turning up the dial, and I actually preferred Rising to TTS, in terms of execution in this regard. I’m also entirely with Charlouie Jonesman here and quite liked the elements of the eerie/supernatural that existed within the original (the original's music was critical here), and have quite disliked what I’ve found to be the increasing amount of military-industrial fetishization in MGS, as the series has gone on (evident also in color scheme/palette choices). So I’d also differ with Morgan insofar as he places emphasis on realism (he says “...save for the Psycho Mantis sequence...”, yet that was one of the higher points of the original for me), though I’d agree with his remarks about “sustaining an air of tension” within the original (music again was critical) versus the “simple adrenaline rush” in TTS.

REDSLATE

Lol yeah just like all those people that say Bayonetta 2 is trash just because it's on Wii U right? No. People wanted Bayonetta 2 on other platforms, doesn't change the fact it was a damn good game.

Man people can't even come up with reasons the game is better so now we just say "hated because Nintendo exclusive"

I don't know why you're bringing up another game... it's irrelevant.

There are plenty of reasons why The Twin Snakes is better:
-Gameplay
-Graphics
-Audio

Some people simply choose to ignore these reasons and, instead, turn to twisted rationality such as, "but the cartwheel... and the missile!" Metal Gear Solid was meant to be the embodiment of an action movie, and The Twin Snakes simply embraces that. It's by far the more grounded of the series.

As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet most of the people that stan for this game do so because it was a Nintendo exclusive

You lose that bet hard, and it was poor choice to make such a bet in the first place.
:)

Some people simply choose to ignore these reasons and, instead, turn to twisted rationality such as, "but the cartwheel... and the missile!" Metal Gear Solid was meant to be the embodiment of an action movie, and The Twin Snakes simply embraces that. It's by far the more grounded of the series.

Love this, your reasons for liking it are valid and rational, people disliking it are irrational hellbeasts with no logic, sense or decorum. That is definitely a good and good-faith way to have a discussion

sphinx

the piano man
As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet most of the people that stan for this game do so because it was a Nintendo exclusive

there are basically two main opinions about this game:

1.- "This game is alright, I don't understand the hate"

2.- "This game is the worst thing that could ever happen to the series, is the most stinking piece of shit ever to have been put in a disc"

so no one stans for this game.

the whole debate is brougbt up by people who put MGS1 and 2 on a pedestal that in their opinion should have remained untouched, much less by filthy nintendo hands.

Hilarion

Why do I feel like he's lying?

I mean, they'd still need Konami's OK, right?

Konami would definitely give a green flag (they're more than happy to put their legacy titles on platforms to make a quick buck), but I doubt they'd lift a finger to do anything. It's the reason I very much doubt this would happen.

Konami is relatively close to Nintendo, though, so I suspect that if they ever rerelease a Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, the Switch will get a port of it. (I think the only reason the Wii U didn't get the original MGS HD Collection is that the collection came out in 2011 rather than 2012)

MisterMac

Twin Snakes is not my preferred version of MGS by any means. It just pastes MGS2 graphics and controls into MGS and it breaks the game. First person aiming and the tranq gun make the game way too easy, plus the hanging ability. There wasn't much thought put into rebalancing to adjust to the new controls. I also prefer the original voice recording and the original music to Twin Snakes.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
'If' Twin Snakes were to be put on Switch Virtual Console, Konami would just give Nintendo the ISOs to throw into the emulator. Silicon Knights would have nothing to do with it, nor do I think they would have any advance knowledge of its release.

Cheerilee

No.

He knows nothing btw.
They were second party back then.

"Second party" is a meaningless buzzword for anyone on the Nintendo side of things with an exclusivity contract.

After Twin Snakes, Dyack pitched Too Human to Iwata for the Revolution (soon to be called the Wii). Iwata shot his pitch down, saying he didn't want to fund that sort of large, expensive experience on Revolution/Wii. Dyack can either blindly make a minigame for Wii, and then adapt it to the new controller once the new controller's secret is revealed to him, or make a quick minigame for GameCube to buy some time until the new controller is revealed, and then start work on a different minigame for Wii. That's when Dyack decided to terminate the exclusivity contract and bring Too Human to Microsoft, because he wanted to be working on Too Human, not minigames.

People asked him to spill the Revolution's controller secret, and he said he couldn't say anything about it, because he didn't know anything about it. Silicon Knights, a Nintendo second party, was not allowed in on the secret of the Wii remote. Ubisoft already knew (they were working on a Wii launch title). Silicon Knights didn't.

Denis Dyack doesn't know anything other people don't already know about Switch or Nintendo's Virtual Console plans.

Redd

The biggest complaint is surely that it is essentially a completely different game?

Kojima's game was amazing, a wonderful experience in every way but this was entirely limp in comparison and they removed everything that was good about Metal Gear Solid. Possibly the worst thing was clumsily cutting and pasting controls out of a game that played completely differently.

One of the many issues is that it felt like a fan remake but didn't even feel like a good fan remake.

This is hilarious. Hideo Kojima wanted it over the top. My only real complaint was the new mgs2 controls made mgs1 crazy easy. That's about it.

Top Bottom