• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Twin Snakes - Possible for Switch says Former Silicon Knights President

Raziel

It was at that moment MGS fans were confronted with the fact that the game was just anime all along. And instead of accepting it they rejected it. That wasn't their metal gear. "I see you like... Castlevania!"

I was confronted with MGS1 being anime in 1998.

I was confronted with TTS being a Frankenstein's monster with seriously shitty cutscenes/audiovisual presentation in 2004, and rejected that.

LordRaptor

Cutscenes were re-done with ridiculous choreography, bullet time, and inexplicable oddities.

Voice overs were re-recorded with same scripting but inferior delivery.

Soundtrack is different and inferior.

It's a remake but translated/interpreted by parties that arent the original creator(s) and inferior for it. This is in stark contrast to something like the Resident Evil remake produced Mikami.

Outside of nostalgia, different doesn't mean inferior.

It seems pretty clear that as a Voice Artist the actress who performed Mei Ling found her borderline ching-chong-chinaman take in the original MGS pretty shameful in retrospect, because she uses the MGS:TTS take in all subsequent appearances.

JP

It really is. The biggest complaint (the over the top cutscenes) has been more than surpassed since, in both MGS4 and 5.
The biggest complaint is surely that it is essentially a completely different game?

Kojima's game was amazing, a wonderful experience in every way but this was entirely limp in comparison and they removed everything that was good about Metal Gear Solid. Possibly the worst thing was clumsily cutting and pasting controls out of a game that played completely differently.

One of the many issues is that it felt like a fan remake but didn't even feel like a good fan remake.

I'd love to see Twin Snakes get an HD port. Great game, and solid (pun intended) remake.

All the irrational PS fanboy hate...
;)

What do PS fanboys have to do with it? The Twin Snakes hate is a thing that's been around forever and Dyack is an asshole that doesn't deserve anyone's attention.

nded

I always wondered why no form of MGS1 made it into the HD collection. I would've taken a cleaned up version of the PC port just the play the game again without so many wobbly polygons.

LordRaptor

The biggest complaint is surely that it is essentially a completely different game?

Kojima's game was amazing, a wonderful experience in every way but this was entirely limp in comparison and they removed everything that was good about Metal Gear Solid. Possibly the worst thing was clumsily cutting and pasting controls out of a game that played completely differently.

One of the many issues is that it felt like a fan remake but didn't even feel like a good fan remake.

The problem with this viewpoint is that the original MGS is the odd man out of the franchise, as it feels like the final part of the MG1, MG2, Ghost Babel line, and TTS feels exactly like it is from the same DNA as MGS2, MGS3, MGS4 and MGS: GZ / TPP.

Megatron

Konami is one of the few companies that supported vc on the 3ds, I dont think this is far fetched. Especially if its the onoy platform they legally can release it on, which is likely since they never released it before in all those mgs collections.

JP

The problem with this viewpoint is that the original MGS is the odd man out of the franchise, as it feels like the final part of the MG1, MG2, Ghost Babel line, and TTS feels exactly like it is from the same DNA as MGS2, MGS3, MGS4 and MGS: GZ / TPP.
It was certainly different to the later games but it also played differently to them.

The original controls and camera were perfect for the game that they were built for, the controls and camera from the later games worked in those later games because of those were built in unison. They were built as a single entity rather than being built in separation and being stitched together at the end and hoping that they work.

That is one of the issues with Twin Snakes, it very much felt like a lot of different things that had been awkwardly stitched together without really understanding why the separate parts all worked as they did.

because of this, I would also say that not only is Twin Snakes the worst Metal Gear Solid game by a long way. It's also the worst Silicon Knights game by an equal distance.

Nakadai30

That would be one of the few things that could get me to buy a switch. MGS is my favorite series, and Twin Snakes is my favorite game. I'd kill for a port, I freaking bought those GCN Component cables just for this game on my HDTV.

Mokujin

To each its own, I loved playing TTS to relive MGS1, there was really only one scene over the top for me (rooftop one) and with some tweaks I would totally buy it again (adjusting difficulty,getting some graphical updates and maybe adding a full 3rd person view)

I'd pay $50 for a digital GameCube emulation of Twin Snakes. Excellent game, very good remake of the original MGS.

Please make this happen.

LordRaptor

That is one of the issues with Twin Snakes, it very much felt like a lot of different things that had been awkwardly stitched together without really understanding why the separate parts all worked as they did.

because of this, I would also say that not only is Twin Snakes the worst Metal Gear Solid game by a long way. It's also the worst Silicon Knights game by an equal distance.

TTS feels like MGS1 remade in the MGS2 engine because that's exactly what it is.

It also stands up on its own merits to a contemporary audience a lot better than the original title does, because the original MGS has not aged very well, even with all the improvements over original PS1 hardware emulators can bring to the table.

FyreWulff

It'd be the only time a Metal Gear Collection could have Twin Snakes. The other ones either relied on PS1 emulation or omitted Twin Snakes since Nintendo funded it.

I'd buy this in an instant, though I'm in the dozen of people that love Twin Snakes. :lol

You and me both, brother:

latest

bryanee

Ah yes, I too was annoyed that I was playing as Barry Python instead of the real deal.

lol oh man, Barry Python. I now want a series of game starring this guy and all of them parodies of MGS games.

Also I love TS. I love the cutscenes. I fucking adore how over the top crazy they are and I dont really care how easy the game is with FPS aiming.

But yeah while Dyack is probably right in that if any console could get Twin Snakes its the Switch due to the Nintendo involvement I'd be surprised if he knew anything of worth about it all.

JP

TTS feels like MGS1 remade in the MGS2 engine because that's exactly what it is.

It also stands up on its own merits to a contemporary audience a lot better than the original title does, because the original MGS has not aged very well, even with all the improvements over original PS1 hardware emulators can bring to the table.
OK, I don't disagree with you and haven't said anything that would suggest that I do.

That doesn't stop it being an inferior game in every way to the real Metal Gear Solid and also inferior game to any of the games in this series.

It's also the worst Silicon Knights game by an equal distance.

I respectfully disagree with this. Your might be exaggerating a bit, since SK make both Too Human and X-Men Destiny, both games which I finished and enjoyed to an extent, but were greatly flawed and buggy (and plain not fun at large intervals). MGS:TTS is far(!) superior to those. I could buy TTS being the worse of the main 5 MGS games, but still an excellent game itself.

RootCause

OK, I don't disagree with you and haven't said anything that would suggest that I do.

That doesn't stop it being an inferior game in every way to the real Metal Gear Solid and also inferior game to any of the games in this series.
I don't see how it can be inferior gameplay wise. It offers you the option to play the classic, or the mgs2 way.

I can understand not liking the cutscenes.

RAIDEN1

All it ever is with Nintendo for the past 16 years is Twin Snakes when it comes to MGS, why didn't Metal Gear 2-3 hell even the latest one get ported over? Fair enough 4 will be always be exclusive to the PS3, may not be fondly remembered by everyone....but even so this is an example of the state of play when it comes to big franchise hitters on the Nintendo consoles, ie MGS. GTA, Mass Effect....

ZOONAMI

Weird, I never knew TTS was so disliked. It's basically just mgs1 spruced up a bit and generally got very good reviews.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Different cut-scene that changed the tone of the game quite a bit.

I always found that reasoning to be feeble as from what I have seen the Metal Gear series is riddled with goofy moments.

Yeah let's act like the cheesy cutscenes are the only reason why TTS is a shitty game.

We're 3 page in everyone seems to be hating on the game but no-one has actually bothered to take the time to explain why the game is "shitty".

I haven't played a Metal Gear game but when I do I will be playing Twin Snake version over the original for analog control and first person shooting.

All it ever is with Nintendo for the past 16 years is Twin Snakes when it comes to MGS, why didn't Metal Gear 2-3 hell even the latest one get ported over? Fair enough 4 will be always be exclusive to the PS3, may not be fondly remembered by everyone....but even so this is an example of the state of play when it comes to big franchise hitters on the Nintendo machine, ie MGS. GTA, Mass Effect....

Metal Gear 3 got released on the 3DS.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All it ever is with Nintendo for the past 16 years is Twin Snakes when it comes to MGS, why didn't Metal Gear 2-3 hell even the latest one get ported over? Fair enough 4 will be always be exclusive to the PS3, may not be fondly remembered by everyone....but even so this is an example of the state of play when it comes to big franchise hitters on the Nintendo consoles, ie MGS. GTA, Mass Effect....

The 3DS got a port of MGS3.

Discomurf

This doesn't seem that far fetched at all. If there is indeed a push of Gamecube Virtual Console on Switch then this is easy $ for Konami.

Ridley327

Weird, I never knew TTS was so disliked. It's basically just mgs1 spruced up a bit and generally got very good reviews.

A lot of the issues the game has aren't immediately apparent, but they're pretty deeply ingrained and make it really hard for it to compete with either MGS2 or MGS3. Ironically, it being so slavish to the original game in terms of its overall level and scenario design is the reason why it suffers so much with the updated gameplay mechanics.

There is one big net positive it gained in the endgame with the newly added PAL card shortcut, but it needed a lot more than that.

Just saw this article Metal Gear Informer - http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=29546

Where a twitter user asked Denis Dyack (former president of Silicon Knights) if it would be possible to get Twin Snakes.

He replied with a simple "Yes"

Thus hinting more at Gamecube emulation for switch is coming?

backflip me over a missile if old
What's he up to these days? His friend from precursor game went to jail on pedo charges and his shadow of eternals Kickstarter failed spectacularly. Seems like he's still hanging on trying to squeeze money for vaporware, hopefully the Ontario government isn't stupid enough to give him more free money.

JP

I don't see how it can be inferior gameplay wise. It offers you the option to play the classic, or the mgs2 way.

I can understand not liking the cutscenes.
For me, it's not just about having the same control method or same camera controls in relation to gameplay. Gameplay is about the complete experience that you have while playing with a game, it incorporates everything about that game.

What I'm saying is not about how good or bad individual aspects of Twin Snakes are, it's not about the controls on their own, the camera on its own. the cutscenes on their own, or anything on its own. Twin Snakes could have the best of any of these individual items of any game that's ever been made but when assessing the game as a whole experience, this where the issue lies for me.

The individual parts of the game just don't work as well as a whole in any way close to how they did in the proper game. I have no issue with remakes or remasters of games and there are plenty out there that do work well but at no point while playing this did game feel like a whole to me.

There was a clumsiness to the whole that the original lacked.

Fantastic if true, but isn't Dyack known to make things up? Hopefully it happens regardless. Twin Snakes gets too much flack. It's a great remake, and I'd love to see a re-release.

nath999

Through VC right? I can't believe he would be talking about a full remastered retail edition, I can't see that being very successful.

MGS: TTS was okay but I was never a fan of Ryuhei Kitamura's absurd direction style (his movies were mediocre at best, too).

How were the PS360 versions of MGSV? If a port is coming, will probably be based on those.

My very quick take in regards to Twin Snakes is that I think it was an interesting experiment that I'm glad exists, but it falls short of being the definitive remake it sounds like on paper. When it was announced, it actually felt like a dream project. A lot of people liked the gameplay improvements of MGS2 but were not as enamored with the scenario. MGS1 remade in the MGS2 sounded like a best of both worlds scenario.

The result? I enjoyed it. If I was going to replay MGS again today I might even opt for it just because I've played the PSX original like 10 times and Twin Snakes only once all the way through. But I think it highlights a "be careful what you wish for" concern with regards to not thinking enhancements through. Sure, the gameplay enhancements of MGS2 were very welcome in that game, but MGS1 was not a game designed for it.

As for the story stuff, who cares? Metal Gear's plot is dumb anyway.

Fisty

We're 3 page in everyone seems to be hating on the game but no-one has actually bothered to take the time to explain why the game is "shitty".

I haven't played a Metal Gear game but when I do I will be playing Twin Snake version over the original for analog control and first person shooting.

Revolver Ocelot and Psycho Mantis fights were completely broken by the new mechanics, same with certain levels having chunks easily bypassed or skipped with the hanging mechanic. Let's not forget the game looked like a dumpster fire (doesn't even look as good as 2, which was on the much less powerful PS2), and the flat-as-paper new VO. Did i mention goofy Matrix-lite cutscenes that turned Snake into Neo? The entire ending realization that Snake is just a normal dude and doesn't have super-genes doesn't work when you dodge bullets in slow-mo and backflip off of missles

It's a shitty looking and sounding game with new mechanics shoved in that break multiple parts of the game and completely changed the cutscene direction for bullet-time crap.

Top Bottom