• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Twin Snakes - Possible for Switch says Former Silicon Knights President

Revolver Ocelot and Psycho Mantis fights were completely broken by the new mechanics, same with certain levels having chunks easily bypassed or skipped with the hanging mechanic. Let's not forget the game looked like a dumpster fire (doesn't even look as good as 2, which was on the much less powerful PS2), and the flat-as-paper new VO. Did i mention goofy Matrix-lite cutscenes that turned Snake into Neo? The entire ending realization that Snake is just a normal dude and doesn't have super-genes doesn't work when you dodge bullets in slow-mo and backflip off of missles

It's a shitty looking and sounding game with new mechanics shoved in that break multiple parts of the game and completely changed the cutscene direction for bullet-time crap.

Mind you, I haven't re-examined the game in quite some time. But from what I remember at the time that seems a bit harsh. For some reason, the main thing I didn't like about the visuals at the time was -- and I hope I'm not just remembering incorrectly -- that it had this greenish hue to everything. But otherwise I wouldn't call it a dumpster fire.

Agree about the gameplay stuff though.

Because it's so unrealistic and anime, way too over the top. MGS is a series steeped in complete realism after all. BRB gotta fight a fire zombie conjured by hatred manifested into reality by a telepathic kids mind.

Like any MGS game ever? How did people handle Metal Gear Rising or Metal gear 4?

what exactly was wrong with this game? wasn't it just a remake of the first game using MGS2's engine?

MGS: TTS was okay but I was never a fan of Ryuhei Kitamura's... direction style...

Different cut-scene that changed the tone of the game quite a bit.

Some of the other changes that didn’t quite work for me (one of which hasn’t yet been mentioned, I think): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225873347&postcount=217

Ridley327

Mind you, I haven't re-examined the game in quite some time. But from what I remember at the time that seems a bit harsh. For some reason, the main thing I didn't like about the visuals at the time was -- and I hope I'm not just remembering incorrectly -- that it had this greenish hue to everything. But otherwise I wouldn't call it a dumpster fire.

Agree about the gameplay stuff though.

The biggest problem was the inconsistency in character models. Snake and Mantis generally looked really nice and comparable to something that KojiPro would have done themselves, but then you start getting to characters like Otacon and Ocelot and... yeah, not so much.

Another big problem is that basically as soon as you get into a situation where a clearing happens, all hope of the framerate maintaining 60 fps crashes like a Hind-D. It's a pretty rough presentation all around, and it's something that made it really obvious that it didn't get the level of TLC that Kojima is so famous for.

LordRaptor

Some of the other changes that didn’t quite work for me (one of which hasn’t yet been mentioned, I think): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225873347&postcount=217

Oh, I forgot I'd posted in that topic that video counterpoint to "oh, TTS cutscenes, so dumb, much ungrounded"
VN7pLEL.gif

Dali

Like any MGS game ever? How did people handle Metal Gear Rising or Metal gear 4?
What feats does snake perform outside of twin snakes that are as off the wall as surfing a missile? I'm actually curious to hear the answer. I haven't played all the mgs games.

To me it seems like binging up the supernatural stuff other characters may do isn't a strong argument for why it's not out of character to see snake doing it.

Ridley327

The cutscene direction never really bothered me, and finding out that Kojima vetoed Kitamura's original take that would have been closer to how they were directed originally said more about what direction the series was going to be heading in than anything Kitamura actually did wrong. MGS3 kind of comes off like a happy accident in that regard, though that's not completely free of excellence in impossible human physics, like EVA's motorcycle flash kick and pretty much every goddamn thing Volgin does.

And lets face it: if you aren't laughing with the game during the notorious doorway vault, you're doing it wrong.

StoveOven

Banned
As someone who recently first played MGS and enjoyed it, I'd be curious to play this. Even if it's bad it wouldn't stop the original game from being great. It also can't be worse than MGS4.

The biggest complaint is surely that it is essentially a completely different game?

Kojima's game was amazing, a wonderful experience in every way but this was entirely limp in comparison and they removed everything that was good about Metal Gear Solid. Possibly the worst thing was clumsily cutting and pasting controls out of a game that played completely differently.

One of the many issues is that it felt like a fan remake but didn't even feel like a good fan remake.

The MGS2 controls make the game actually playable (by 2004 standards).

I didn't know that The Twin Snakes was so hated until I joined GAF. I personally love it! So I would welcome a port to the switch :)

Ridley327

This is probably about as controversial as it gets, but I honestly preferred having a weapon safety button hold versus relying on analog sensitivity for the PS2 games. It was always too damn tough to gauge just how much pressure you needed to not fire, especially for automatics, and the way that the Gamecube controller is laid out made it really natural to use that function. Not that I would want to go back to that after the improvements the series made that started in 4, but for its time, I thought it worked out great.

VDenter

Banned
Man this really makes me wonder how people will react to the FFVII Remake. If you were bothered by some minuscule changes Twin Snakes had then oh boy...

I loved Twin Snakes. Its actually far more in line with the rest of the series.

Oh, I forgot I'd posted in that topic that video counterpoint to "oh, TTS cutscenes, so dumb, much ungrounded"

The cutscene direction never really bothered me, and finding out that Kojima vetoed Kitamura's original take...

I would want to be careful to note that I don’t think there was anything egregiously wrong or dumb about what Kitamura did. The analogy (for the change in direction/tone) that I used was Alien/Ridley Scott (MGS1) and Aliens/James Cameron (Twin Snakes), and clearly both of those films have their fans.

Also, I think think that some of the views I cited in the post linked above (e.g., this one from brandonh83 or this one from Thomas Morgan) are certainly not reducible to “so dumb, much ungrounded” and are carefully considered, well-expressed points of view.

LordRaptor

What feats does snake perform outside of twin snakes that are as off the wall as surfing a missile? I'm actually curious to hear the answer. I haven't played all the mgs games.

Crawling through a tunnel while his internal organs are being literally microwaved is pretty damn out there, even if its not visually flashy

e:
Also, I think think that some of the views I cited in the post linked above (e.g., this one from brandonh83 or this one from Thomas Morgan) are certainly not reducible to ”so dumb, much ungrounded" and are carefully considered, well-expressed points of view.

Differences in opinion on taste and aesthetic are obviously not the same argument as people just dismissively calling MGS "realistic" and TTS "animu trash"

VDenter

Banned
Also lets not ignore the fact that there was allot of salt back in 2003 because of Twin Snakes being a Gamecube exclusive. The most recent similar example would be Bayonetta 2.

In the original, I appreciated how Snake was just this normal badass guy - even in cutscenes. It made it all the more impressive how he overcame some of the flashy goofy OTT bosses who had superhuman abilities.

I just didn't get that same vibe in the remake since he did some crazy flashy stuff in the cutscenes.

Ridley327

Also lets not ignore the fact that there was allot of salt back in 2003 because of Twin Snakes being a Gamecube exclusive. The most recent similar example would be Bayonetta 2.

That one was always weird, since MGS3 was announced at the same time and it was made clear repeatedly that the game wouldn't have happened without the arrangement that Nintendo and Konami came to. I get wanting the entire series playable on platform, but MGS1 already was playable on the PS2.

REDSLATE

What do PS fanboys have to do with it? The Twin Snakes hate is a thing that's been around forever and Dyack is an asshole that doesn't deserve anyone's attention.

The numerous rationalizations attempting to portray The Twin Snakes as being inferior to Metal Gear Solid typically stem from the fact that the remake was exclusive to the Nintendo GameCube.

I have no opinion on this "Dyack."

I recently replayed TTS via Dolphin... it's not a pretty game. The models suffer from quite a bit of jankiness, especially in the facial animation department.

That said, the gameplay still holds up well, and the new cutscenes really aren't that bad. Why is it so hard to believe that the ultimate warrior that is the clone of Big Boss can't be a little over the top action hero-y? And even in the realm of the game, it wouldn't even be near as over the top as half of the bosses that he's supposed to beat. For gods sake, the man single handedly takes down a giant multibillion dollar bi-pedal tank! And not secretly from behind a corner with explosives, but rather head on (okay, still with explosives... but still)

Fisty

The numerous rationalizations attempting to portray The Twin Snakes as being inferior to Metal Gear Solid typically stem from the fact that the remake was exclusive to the Nintendo GameCube.

Lol yeah just like all those people that say Bayonetta 2 is trash just because it's on Wii U right? No. People wanted Bayonetta 2 on other platforms, doesn't change the fact it was a damn good game.

Man people can't even come up with reasons the game is better so now we just say "hated because Nintendo exclusive"

As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet most of the people that stan for this game do so because it was a Nintendo exclusive

Whompa02

VN7pLEL.gif

Are you saying a cyborg ninja can't jump around like...what a cyborg ninja would do?

Why don't you like the TTS cutscene where Snake jumps off a missile? Or does a backflip 360 to kick up a rifle and shoot Sniper Wolf?

Please.

No, they don't. People have expressed why they think Twin Snakes is inferior to MGS and it makes sense.

Neptonic

Everybody talking about the cutscenes is complaining about the wrong thing. The gameplay is broken in this game. MGS2's gameplay in MGS1 levels doesn't work and makes this game a cakewalk.

What was their relationship? Did they just make games exclusively for GameCube at the time?

They had an exclusivity deal with Nintendo. Nintendo funded and published Eternal Darkness. Konami, Nintendo, and SK partnered to create The Twin Snakes...

It's at least an interesting history to consider, alongside the history of Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-invests-in-silicon-knights/1100-2565647/
May 8, 2000: Nintendo of America announced today that it has entered into a strategic equity investment with Silicon Knights, a company of film and video game artists based in Ontario, Canada. Effective immediately, the agreement makes Silicon Knights an exclusive, long-term partner of Nintendo. Silicon Knights already has several titles in its portfolio, including Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Fantasy Empires, Dark Legions, and Cyber Empires. The first title to come out of new alliance is Eternal Darkness, a Nintendo 64 cart slated for release at the end of October. Silicon Knights and Nintendo are describing Eternal Darkness as a time-crossing "psychological thriller," with the player battling various shades of evil. The title features real-time cutscenes, creative cinematography, and immersive storylines...
https://web.archive.org/web/2003052...com/e32003/interview/gcn/1002437/index2.shtml
May 15, 2003
GameSpy: What do you think of the Grand Theft Auto series? 
Miyamoto: I have looked at Grand Theft Auto. The basic concept was very well done. Regardless of what the content of the game was, the level of freedom that you had in that one big city was a very good idea. Obviously it has gotten a lot of press because of the moral issues; but even aside from that, the game was done in such a way that gives it great gameplay. I think that is the reason that Grand Theft Auto is selling....
GameSpy: Are you bothered by the moral issues?
Miyamoto: Just because something will make people upset does not necessarily mean that we should make it. Developers need to think about how their games will affect the people who are playing them. At the same time, I also think that just because one person is offended by the moral issues raised by Grand Theft Auto does not mean that people will not enjoy the game. 
GameSpy: Are you interested in making adult games like Grand Theft Auto or The Getaway? 
Miyamoto: As a producer, I am interested in working with people who make adult-oriented games. You will see that our line-up will continue to have a lot of games that are very adult-oriented...
http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/...elected-develop-metal-gear-solid-twin-snakes/
Dyack added how legendary developer Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo president Satoru Iwata approached him with the project whilst he was eating his lunch in a Nintendo cafeteria in Japan, who was initially perplexed at how Nintendo could develop a title that was published by Konami. However, Miyamoto told him how he and Hideo Kojima had been discussing the idea of the title being remade on a Nintendo system. ”And I was just talking to Mr. Kojima and we've been talking for a while, and we would love to do a Metal Gear game on the Nintendo system, but he's too busy with Metal Gear [Solid] 3 [Snake Eater]," he said. ”I wish we could do it, but we just don't have the manpower. But then I had this idea Denis that you could be the manpower." ...You can check out the full interview with Denis Dyack on Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes over at IGN.

http://nintendoeverything.com/denis...orking-with-miyamotoiwata-nx-excitement-more/
Dyack: ”So a lot of people don't know this – the first person to ever visit Silicon Knights from Nintendo Japan was Mr. Iwata. Mr. Iwata was the person who recommended that Nintendo buy an equity stake in Silicon Knights, so he was the person who drove all of that. And so I got to know him quite well and he was on our board of directors for awhile, I spoke to him on a regular basis whenever I was in Japan. So I would say the level of interaction with Mr. Iwata was equal to that of Mr. Miyamoto and some cases more actually because he had board of director's duties and things like that. I remember he became president of Nintendo I think when we were working on Twin Snakes..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwt-YfeU0A
September 2003 (recorded for the 2003 Tokyo Game Show)
Miyamoto (note: uncertain of the quality/origin of the translation): "...With Kojima-san, I have this absolute sense of security. And Denis of Silicon Knights, working on Nintendo's Eternal Darkness, is someone with a strong sense of being a writer and including his taste and thoughts as a writer. I was very worried whether or not such a writer mentality person and Kojima-san would work together in this collaboration... In our long years of knowing each other, Kojima-san and I talked about creating a MGS game for the GameCube out of coincidence. It has been a bit over a year since that moment..."

Pif

Banned
Because it's so unrealistic and anime, way too over the top. MGS is a series steeped in complete realism after all. BRB gotta fight a fire zombie conjured by hatred manifested into reality by a telepathic kids mind.

What lol.

The game is a mcgyver simulator, dude's carrying every little stupid unrealistic weapon in his non existant pockets.

Twin Snakes will always have a special place in my heart for getting me into MGS, and I have a lot of nostalgia for it. No analyses of its imbalanced gameplay can take that away from me (even if I agree with them).

I also didn't mind the cutscenes at all, even after playing MGS2 and MGS3. The series is already ridiculous enough that the added camp doesn't stick out that much to me.

Lots of people missing the sarcasm in this post.

Twin Snakes will always have a special place in my heart for getting me into MGS, and I have a lot of nostalgia for it. No analyses of its imbalanced gameplay can take that away from me (even if I agree with them).

I also didn't mind the cutscenes at all, even after playing MGS2 and MGS3. The series is already ridiculous enough that the added camp doesn't stick out that much to me.

Yeah. I mean, if you're brand new to the series and looking to start with MGS1, my first recommendation would still be the PSX version. But if for whatever reason you just can't deal with PSX-era graphics, I really don't think that Twin Snakes represents some offensive affront to the spirit of the original. And if you've already played MGS1 and MGS2, I honestly think that it is -- at a bare minimum -- an interesting "what if?" experiment in terms of trying to fuse the best of both worlds. It doesn't completely work, but it's at least fun in the same way that checking out a competent fan remake using later tools is.

I certainly wouldn't call it the definitive version of Metal Gear Solid. But I also don't think it deserves to just be buried and forgotten.

Top Bottom