• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Spoilers Thread - #TeamBowie

Batzi

Banned
The Phantom Pain will probably explain more of Zero's motives behind Cipher (The Patriots), and it will probably go more in depth about Big Boss and Zero's antagonistic relationship.

While TPP will definitely touch upon Big Boss' relationship with Zero and Skull Face, according to Kojima that's not going to be the main part of the story:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlUxmd7n_j4&t=2m50s

So what is the main event in TPP? Is it going to revolve around Kaz' intentions/revenge? Kojima said that Quiet was the main heroine, don't you think it's odd that he said heroine and not antagonist? Because by the looks of it it seems she is a boss fight and she ends up captured and tortured by Ocelot and Miller. Is Kojima implying that she's an ally and she is going to play an important role in aiding Big Boss?

Can't wait!

dcx4610

Did anyone else cringe when you find out you rescued Kojima in the side mission? I've loved the MGS series and it was cute when he would throw his name out there every now and the (see HIDEO instead of VIDEO in MGS1) but this was just too much even for me.

The way he's revealed I can imagine him and the team thinking your reaction would be like "Whoa! That's so cool!".

Instead, my reaction was hanging and shaking my head. Talk about jumping the shark. Get your ego in check, Hideo. Shark jumped.

While TPP will definitely touch upon Big Boss' relationship with Zero and Skull Face, according to Kojima that's not going to be the main part of the story:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlUxmd7n_j4&t=2m50s

So what is the main event in TPP? Is it going to revolve around Kaz' intentions/revenge? Kojima said that Quiet was the main heroine, don't you think it's odd that he said heroine and not antagonist? Because by the looks of it it seems she is a boss fight and she ends up captured and tortured by Ocelot and Miller. Is Kojima implying that she's an ally and she is going to play an important role in aiding Big Boss?

Can't wait!

You can be a hero and an antagonist at the same time but I doubt that's what Kojima meant.

Batzi

Banned
Did anyone else cringe when you find out you rescued Kojima in the side mission? I've loved the MGS series and it was cute when he would throw his name out there every now and the (see HIDEO instead of VIDEO in MGS1) but this was just too much even for me.

The way he's revealed I can imagine him and the team thinking your reaction would be like "Whoa! That's so cool!".

Instead, my reaction was hanging and shaking my head. Talk about jumping the shark. Get your ego in check, Hideo. Shark jumped.

I actually thought it was awesome! It's a side-mission and he's not playing a part in the story so I don't see how that is a problem? It's his game, he gets to do whatever he wants. His team are 3D scanning KP staff in the game and he's no exception.

Tekku

All I could think about was his annoying ego and how awkward it must've been for the team to go through with that idea.

Being quite a different game that sets itself apart in the series I was kinda hoping that he would go in a different direction with all this stuff as well. But I guess not.

JayEH

Interestingly Batzi, the video you linked also kind of confirms some suspicion that Metal Gear may be remade in TPP. http://youtu.be/JlUxmd7n_j4?t=3m33s

There when the GI guy asks if TPP completes the loop, Kojima replies "Don't look at me in the eyes because I want to tell you." and that "In a special way this will put the games together".

HYPE LEVELS RISING.

I'm still holding out for MG1/2 remake being from BB's perspective, it'll be a tower defense game trying to keep Solid from getting to you.

Batzi

Banned
Interestingly Batzi, the video you linked also kind of confirms some suspicion that Metal Gear may be remade in TPP. http://youtu.be/JlUxmd7n_j4?t=3m33s

There when the GI guy asks if TPP completes the loop, Kojima replies "Don't look at me in the eyes because I want to tell you." and that "In a special way this will put the games together".

HYPE LEVELS RISING.

I am sure TPP will cover MG1&MG2. That's why it's taking a lot of time to finish. It might come in an Epilogue form like Ground Zeroes.

Remember the "super secret project" he teased some time ago?

This: https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/420442996744519680

Well Kojima is editing a new trailer and his last tweet suggests that he's almost done with the editing so it should be ready by the time E3 arrives. Now a lot of fans are assuming that it's going to be TPP which is a reasonable guess since we were told on multiple occasions that MGSV was made of two games which one of them was released not long ago so that leaves TPP. It's only normal to assume that's what he is showing at this year's E3 right?

Well what if he was going to show something completely different this time? Something close to what he did at the VGAs back in 2012 but this time, we know it is MGS, we know it is Hideo Kojima but we are thinking TPP when it's going to be something else. I think he's going to tease that "secret confidential project" at this year's E3.

What do you think guys?

JayEH

I don't think he'll show off any footage of a MG remake in a trailer. It'll be an awesome 2-4 hour epilogue after credits.

TheLight

I think the point of Zeroes change into whatever, is that it actually isn't that drastic of a change. Given millions and influence, any man shows their true mold. This is shown through Big Boss and it is assumed for Zero.

We didn't even see much of Zero besides codec calls, why is everyone assuming he can do no wrong?

kotor22

So hey guys quick thought, not sure if its been talked about before but;
On that whole thing about the camera in the game not really cutting away or doing it very minimally and how you can directly impact the outcome of characters . . The torture scenes in the red band trailer for TPP, can we assume that they take place relatively somewhere close to snake? Its probably their new base but it makes me think how involved snake himself is with it. Like if he even knows its happening at all or its a choice you make, or rather something Kaz tells Snake its something they have to do to get more info on Cypher/Skullface. Sorry if I'm not making any sense, just a thing that popped into my head. Thanks!

Can't wait!

Heroine? If she's a boss fight and she's being tortured by Ocelot and Miller (who are working with Big Boss, I assume), then it would make more sense that Quiet is against Big Boss the whole game, seeing as this game explains Big Boss's transition into being more antagonistic (a bad guy). That would mean, even though we're playing as Big Boss, we're actually playing as the villain this time around, which might be why Kojima refers to Quiet as the main heroine. Any of this making sense?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I am sure TPP will cover MG1&MG2. That's why it's taking a lot of time to finish. It might come in an Epilogue form like Ground Zeroes.

Ehhhh... I think this game is mostly done but they pushed it back to purty up the Fox Engine's next-gen debut. Ground Zeroes was an experiment in what hype makes fans do (pay 30 dollars for a demo).

Tookay

It's just a fun little wink, no use getting upset over it.

Batzi

Banned
So hey guys quick thought, not sure if its been talked about before but;
On that whole thing about the camera in the game not really cutting away or doing it very minimally and how you can directly impact the outcome of characters . . The torture scenes in the red band trailer for TPP, can we assume that they take place relatively somewhere close to snake? Its probably their new base but it makes me think how involved snake himself is with it. Like if he even knows its happening at all or its a choice you make, or rather something Kaz tells Snake its something they have to do to get more info on Cypher/Skullface. Sorry if I'm not making any sense, just a thing that popped into my head. Thanks!
I asked myself the same question when I first saw the Red Band trailer. Well there could only be two scenarios. Either Kaz and Ocelot are doing this behind Big Boss' back without the latter's consent or Big Boss ordered the torture and sanctioned it.

Heroine? If she's a boss fight and she's being tortured by Ocelot and Miller (who are working with Big Boss, I assume), then it would make more sense that Quiet is against Big Boss the whole game, seeing as this game explains Big Boss's transition into being more antagonistic (a bad guy). That would mean, even though we're playing as Big Boss, we're actually playing as the villain this time around, which might be why Kojima refers to Quiet as the main heroine. Any of this making sense?
Exactly my thoughts. We're playing as the villain and Quiet is the main heroine who is sent to stop us. But it's all relative since she's a hero from Zero's perspective while she's the enemy from Big Boss' perspective. There is no good cause coming out of this battle between the two. Killing is distasteful and will always be wrong that's certain.

R-User!

Ugh, watching cutscenes from 3 makes me want the whole game redone with TPP's engine for glorious open world/ jungle game play. Out of all the games in the series, it's the perfect fit. I can dream.

We're gonna get more cassette tapes in TPP aren't we?

Or will CD players enter the fold?

JayEH

When Kojima says Quiet is the main heroine, I imagine he's saying that in the same way that Snake is the "hero" in this game.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
When Kojima says Quiet is the main heroine, I imagine he's saying that in the same way that Snake is the "hero" in this game.

Considering that he's taking Breaking Bad as reference in terms of storytelling, maybe he analogs the transformation of Big Boss and Quiet to Walter and Jesse, respectively.

(Spoilers for BrBa next)

Big Boss/Walter: The protagonist who, at first having a morally good intention, eventually passes from anti-hero straight into a manipulative villain or "monster".
Quiet/Jesse: An ambiguous character (who apparently is an enemy at first?) recruited by Big Boss, but soon her actions make her become a character with the right sense of morality of the story

cilonen

From the tapes, Skullface says that he's known Big Boss for a long while. Are there any strong theories?
I can't recall anyone having a burnt face except for The Fury but even if he'd survived he would be in his 60s at least if he had fought in WWII with The Boss.

Unless of course they were wearing a mask like that one in MGS3 that imitates Volgins buddy. That seemed realistic enough to fool anyone!

Don't you fry Volgin pretty badly when you 'beat' him? I've not played MGS3 in an age so I don't exactly remember what his fate is. But Skullface is so similar to Volgin in his apparent pleasure in horrific torture.

Betty

Banned
Don't you fry Volgin pretty badly when you 'beat' him? I've not played MGS3 in an age so I don't exactly remember what his fate is. But Skullface is so similar to Volgin in his apparent pleasure in horrific torture.

He's fried by a bolt of lightning then falls back onto the Shagohod as it and his ammo belts catch fire.

Skullface gives his origin in a tape though, claiming he was disfigured as a child. It could be a lie but it seems too elaborate. Plus his bodyshape, voice, etc don't match at all.

cilonen

He's fried by a bolt of lightning then falls back onto the Shagohod as it and his ammo belts catch fire.

Skullface gives his origin in a tape though, claiming he was disfigured as a child. It could be a lie but it seems too elaborate. Plus his bodyshape, voice, etc don't match at all.

D'oh, yeah; the Eastern European factory story (Hungarian?) I forgot that. I'm way behind the curve on Ground Zeroes as I went on holiday just as it released and I've only run through the main mission once.

I'm regretting skipping the PSP entries though. I have little idea who Paz and Chico are and after reading up on them I don't have any particular attachment to them. The brutality of what happens to Paz is horrific, sure, but It probably has a bigger emotional impact if you have a connection to the character in some way.

She does sound like a little bitch in her diary though. So... I'm conflicted as to why I should care.

I don't know how much this has been discussed, but...

How do we think Big Boss ends up in the hospital? I'm not so sure that it is the helicopter crash, because we don't actually see the crash at the end of the game. Some things can be implied, sure, but there are scenes from the GDC and E3 2013 trailers that clearly take place in the chopper after Ground Zeroes ends. (Big Boss staring on with a bloody forehead, for example.*) At first, I was thinking that maybe they were deleted scenes or something along those lines. You know? But remember that Kojima tweeted that, upon completion of Ground Zeroes, players should go back and watch the aforementioned trailers of The Phantom Pain. Maybe he's just trying to pad his YouTube analytics, but I don't believe that to be the case. Anyways, I remember it being brought up in one Ground Zeroes thread or another (possibly another forum), but just curious as to where we landed on that, if it had indeed been discussed here?

mgsv_phantompina_032713_2.jpg

Thanks!

Loakum

Banned
I don't think the helicopter crash/collision put him in a 9 year coma....whatever caused that hunk of metal to stick out of his head, like some kind of horn did.

I think that there's no real reason they couldn't have ended the game at the hospital scene if they didn't have something to hide about what happened at the end of the incident in 1975, a fade to black was pretty cheap and I don't buy that they couldn't have shown a graphic cutscene of Big Boss losing his arm and having the shrapnel lodged into his head after what we've already seen. There's got to be some kind of secret.

The main questions in my mind are:

• Did anyone survive aside from Big Boss and Miller? Who's the third person hinted at in the GDC trailer? I know Kojima's in a semi-canon mission but I can't accept he's thrown himself into the main story.
  • What happened during the crash and what lead to us reaching the hospital?
  • Just where is this hospital? Is the hospital in 1975 and the one in Cyprus in 1984 one and the same? The doctors have american accents in the 1975 hospital and foreign accents in the 1984 hospital. The only reason why Camp Omega had american accents I thought was because it was a black site controlled by the U.S/Cipher, have they possibly landed somewhere similar?
  • Why did Miller get separated and who had Big Boss's body in their custody? Was the survivors of MSF just able to hide him somewhere ordinary for the 9 year period or is it possible he's a prisoner of XOF or in a Cipher controlled facility while in his coma? The latter is an intriguing possibility to me after finding out Zero is an enemy of Skull Face at the end of GZ and wants Big Boss alive.

TheBoss1

I don't know how much this has been discussed, but...

How do we think Big Boss ends up in the hospital? I'm not so sure that it is the helicopter crash, because we don't actually see the crash at the end of the game. Some things can be implied, sure, but there are scenes from the GDC and E3 2013 trailers that clearly take place in the chopper after Ground Zeroes ends. (Big Boss staring on with a bloody forehead, for example.*) At first, I was thinking that maybe they were deleted scenes or something along those lines. You know? But remember that Kojima tweeted that, upon completion of Ground Zeroes, players should go back and watch the aforementioned trailers of The Phantom Pain. Maybe he's just trying to pad his YouTube analytics, but I don't believe that to be the case. Anyways, I remember it being brought up in one Ground Zeroes thread or another (possibly another forum), but just curious as to where we landed on that, if it had indeed been discussed here?

Thanks!
I just watched TPP reveal, GDC, and E3 trailers again. I believe we will be facing child soldiers in the game but will be our decision that decides their fates (Like regular guards, not bosses). This is probably one of the taboos Kojima mentioned and he will be crucified for it, so it may not make it in the retail release.

I also believe we will be returning to Camp Omega. That cutscene where the prisoner gets executed is nowhere in GZ, so this has led me to believe we will be revisiting the glorious Guantanamo Bay.

mcz117chief

[*]Did anyone survive aside from Big Boss and Miller? Who's the third person hinted at in the GDC trailer? I know Kojima's in a semi-canon mission but I can't accept he's thrown himself into the main story.
[/LIST]

Kojima is not even semi-cannon. He is a recurring easter egg at best. Chances are that the medic survived since he was sitting right next to Snake and Miller.

TheBoss1

Kojima is not even semi-cannon. He is a recurring easter egg at best. Chances are that the medic survived since he was sitting right next to Snake and Miller.

But the medic is who took the brunt of the explosion. How could he, out of all people, survive that? Maybe he did survive and that guy with the bandaged face is him.

redhood56

Banned
What about the soldier that got on the helicopter when mother base was collapsing? It must suck to be one of the only ones to live and then immediately crash.

mcz117chief

But the medic is who took the brunt of the explosion. How could he, out of all people, survive that? Maybe he did survive and that guy with the bandaged face is him.

Yeah, that is why I think he has that bandaged face, also, he knows what siringe to apply and where, so that would lend a bit of a hand to that theory.

I'm secretly hoping Morpho survived because that chopper dude was pretty awesome in GZ. I hate losing my red shirts but this one even had a name, dammit.

And I'm still of the opinion the third guy/Ishmael is either of figment of BB's drugged out mind. Or an elaborate setup by Cypher or Ocelot to make him believe he's crazy.

If Morpho dies I will be so mad, he was so awesome in Ground Zeroes.

MORPHO MUST LIVE!

#morpholives

As to some of the discussion, I believe that Ishmael is actually just a figment of Big Boss's drugged out and fractured mind. I also don't believe that Quiet = Chico, I'm pretty sure Chico is probably going to die in the Chopper crash or shortly thereafter. It'd be interesting if he died because then it could spur Big Boss to care less about children, but in a sense keep him from becoming attached while also spurring a desire to "toughen them up" which could lead to the Child Soldier army wielding Big Boss of Metal Gear fiction.

JayEH

The medic plays some major role in TPP I think. Watching that Yong video really brought some compelling evidence. Whether he's part of Big Boss' mind or not is yet to be seen. It's weird that the medic is voiced by Kiefer as well and they are very careful not to show his face.

I posted this picture a few weeks ago but I'll post it again. Notice how there's one guy without a mask on. I think that might be the medic.

nqBFjKG.png

Tekku

Just heard the theory about Chico being Quiet today. Seems a bit far-fetched? I googled it to find some discussions and I stumbled upon the picture below. What do you make of it fellow Gafers?

omiJk3P.jpg

Ishida

Banned
Just heard the theory about Chico being Quiet today. Seems a bit far-fetched? I googled it to find some discussions and I stumbled upon the picture below. What do you make of it fellow Gafers?

omiJk3P.jpg

I think it's one of the dumbest shit that Metal Gear fans have come up with.

Rojo

Your late on this go back to when the team bowie stuff began and you can see all the debate on that and all of its wackyness.

Top Bottom