• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Spoilers Thread - #TeamBowie

Tekku

It's definitely true

dIjdvwI.png

Ok, now you got me interested. But I don't buy the "I will become a woman so I cannot rape" explanation. The argument for his silence is good, but I think it's some deeper explanation to his physical change if it's all true. Maybe he wants to relate more to female war victims and then avenge them as one of them? The clothing is really skimpy, as if he wanted to lure bad people (rapists) to him.

Or he just wants to feel the suffering that they went through. Like flagellants who whip themselves to feel closer to God.

-edit-

Omg, I'm one of those crazy theorists now aint I...

mcz117chief

Ok, now you got me interested. But I don't buy the "I will become a woman so I cannot rape" explanation. The argument for his silence is good, but I think it's some deeper explanation to his physical change if it's all true. Maybe he wants to relate more to female war victims and then avenge them as one of them? The clothing is really skimpy, as if he wanted to lure bad people (rapists) to him.

Or he just wants to feel the suffering that they went through. Like flagellants who whip themselves to feel closer to God.

-edit-

Omg, I'm one of those crazy theorists now aint I...

OTACON, GET A GRIP !

This theory is probably the most hilarious fan theory in the history of video games, I dare anyone to prove me wrong (please do) :D

$200

Banned
Laugh all you want now but the theory makes a lot of sense. #TeamChico

Why haven't we seen adult Chico in any Phantom Pain trailers? They spent so much effort shaping his character in GZ there's no way they would let him die in the helicopter crash. Let's recall what happened back when they showed the Big Shell trailer for MGS2. Who's this mysterious new cyborg ninja? Surprise! It's the new character that appeared in the Tanker trailer who we assumed wouldn't play a part in Big Shell.

I dunno, Kojima have himself a really obvious out when it came to ocelot's arm channeling liquid (ocelot could've had a spiritual connection to it since he was the son of the sorrow) and he went with self hypnosis instead. Fucking guy trolls everyone - including himself sometimes.

People saying this Chico thing is too farfetched hasn't been paying attention to the MGS series in general.

I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility, but I wouldn't be sad if that wasn't the case either. Discussions like this are great fun, and I'm sure Kojima gets a bit of a chubby every time someone posts a new theory.

I dunno, Kojima have himself a really obvious out when it came to ocelot's arm channeling liquid (ocelot could've had a spiritual connection to it since he was the son of the sorrow) and he went with self hypnosis instead. Fucking guy trolls everyone - including himself sometimes.

no he really was being possesed in MGS2. he removed the arm and went the hypnosis route because it gave him better control

People saying this Chico thing is too farfetched hasn't been paying attention to the MGS series in general.
people always say this exact same line whenever another insane theory comes up

no he really was being possesed in MGS2. he removed the arm and went the hypnosis route because it gave him better control

Fuck me, I can't believe how terrible mgs4 got. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bro, you can't say that they don't have a reason to believe given the madness you just posted, haha.

Point is, he could've easily explained it as being due to Ocelot having inherited The Sorrow's mental powers. But no, nano-fucking-machines.

Fuck me, I can't believe how terrible mgs4 got. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bro, you can't say that they don't have a reason to believe given the madness you just posted, haha.

it's just such a cop out, anyone can come up with the most ridiculous shit and hide behind that line, I don't care how badly he tricked everyone with MGS2.

Even if by some miracle this MGS theory finally becomes the one that turns out to be true I'd still call anyone who advocated it nuts because of the flimsy "evidence" used to support it.

But nano machines also have precedence.

Nanomachines are also ridiculously overused as a plot device, to the point of parody. Naomi's cancer, Vamp's abilities, Big Boss' survival. Kojima going back to the same old plot device instead of using a different solution that was staring him right in the goddamn face was infuriating. But I guess that was what he was going for with MGS4, come up with a bunch of stupid, nonsensical shit (even by MGS standards) because he was making a game he didn't want to make.

Remember Decoy Octopus? The guy has no nose and ears and he can replace his freaking blood with that of the people he want to impersonate

I do wonder if the people who are balking at the theory are doing so because it would make Quiet a transsexual? Then again, it's probably most likely because it's a stupid fucking theory in the first place with little concrete evidence to back it up.

This absolutely blows my mind.

dem tweets

Is that picture of Chico's family meant to insinuate that his father is The End? Because that's utterly incorrect.

Explain. It's clear that MGS4 is a game that Kojima wanted to make. All that speculation is nothing more than fanboy bullshit, as usual.

All you have to do is play the game to see that he's essentially giving the finger to the people who keep demanding that he continues to work on the series. Brings back Solid Snake, but as a crotchety old man who takes orders blindly, and who is the constant butt of jokes. Pairs the guy who frequently shits himself with Meryl, in some of the absolute worst and most cringe-worthy scenes from the entire series. Turns Raiden into an overdone cyborg idiot who managed to become even more whiney than in 2. Completely destroys the mystique surrounding Vamp and his powers with an incredibly pedestrian explanation. Yeah, it's more than just fanboy bullshit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nanomachines are also ridiculously overused as a plot device, to the point of parody. Naomi's cancer, Vamp's abilities, Big Boss' survival. Kojima going back to the same old plot device instead of using a different solution that was staring him right in the goddamn face was infuriating. But I guess that was what he was going for with MGS4, come up with a bunch of stupid, nonsensical shit (even by MGS standards) because he was making a game he didn't want to make.

Overused in MGS4, I guess, but the actual story (outside of the saving throws you mentioned) was about nano-tech, so it isn't all that out of place.

The retconing of Vamp was a shame. Everything else regarding nano tech I had no issue with.

I do wonder if the people who are balking at the theory are doing so because it would make Quiet a transsexual? Then again, it's probably most likely because it's a stupid fucking theory in the first place with little concrete evidence to back it up.

Definitely the latter.

Grandfather maybe? Uncle? Do we even know anything about The End's family?

I'm not saying this whole crazy theory is on the money, but it's fascinating. :lol

The guy in the picture is his dad, and it's established that he was the leader of the rebels in Peace Walker before he was killed, and replaced by Amanda.

Oriel

Just heard the theory about Chico being Quiet today. Seems a bit far-fetched? I googled it to find some discussions and I stumbled upon the picture below. What do you make of it fellow Gafers?

omiJk3P.jpg

Plausible, but given some of the mental shit being spouted about the GZ trailer last year, including one mad suggestion about the Abrams-esque strobe lighting effects a form of time travel or dimensional warping shite, then it's likely there's a more mundane and straight forward plot in PP.

Mature

Laugh all you want now but the theory makes a lot of sense. #TeamChico

Why haven't we seen adult Chico in any Phantom Pain trailers? They spent so much effort shaping his character in GZ there's no way they would let him die in the helicopter crash.
I could easily see him dying in the helicopter crash. The shaping of his character in GZ would lend to the tragedy of his untimely death. It fits with the new type of narrative Kojima is attempting to lay forth in TPP, too.

The Chico = Quiet thing is plenty plausible, but really not probable. The most convincing piece of evidence is Ocelot torturing her, but that could be for any number of reasons that we don't know yet.

Posted this in the OT, but if anyone missed it: The artwork by Yoji Shinkawa featured in the Peace Walker prose novel that came in Japan.

http://www.metalgearsolid.be/apercu-artworks-inedits-de-yoji-shinkawa-roman-peace-walker-1576.html
This is amazing, thanks.

I don't think the Quiet theory is true because it all started as a joke and it would be a tremendous stretch. I mean not that Kojima hasn't already gone further than this with Liquid in Ocelot's arm, but I still don't think so.

The strange thing about it is that it really gets me thinking though, like $200 says Ground Zeroes spent so much time shaping Chico's character that I don't think it would be a stretch to call Chico the deuteragonist of the game... I would have said that was Kaz Miller before and Chico is just collateral, but after his potential survival and all those audio tapes I'm just not sure anymore. Way too much focus on him in the prologue, I think.

I mean Chico got up close and personal with Skull Face and suffered the most trauma and has the most reason out of the cast to get revenge on the antagonist, Chico's name in itself means "Boy" in Spanish which lends itself to the question what is he going to become when he's an adult after the 9 year time gap? I don't believe he didn't survive for a moment, they purposely left the accident and who survived ambiguous outside of Paz's death, and it would be too much of a missed opportunity to not see a Chico in TPP who has lived through that trauma. It's a far crueler fate than having them both die IMO.

We haven't seen him in any of the Phantom Pain segments of the trailers so whatever we find has become of him, I have a feeling it's going to be a big surprise. When it comes to Quiet going back to my claim that Chico seems like a suitable candidate for Deuteragonist, we know that Kojima called Quiet the "heroine" of the game which again is quite a statement for a new character that as far as we are to believe has nothing to do with the epicenter of the revenge subplot which was the Ground Zeroes Incident. I imagine we'll be recruiting and there'll be lots of other subplots at play with people from different war backgrounds, but I can still understand some of the logic and evidence that lead to people taking it from a joke to something real.

I think it might be more a case of Big Boss is in the Snake role, Quiet is in the Meryl/Eva role, and maybe Chico will be a wildcard or Gray Fox type character who has a score to settle rather than Big Boss's sidekick. Speaking of Gray Fox, I really hope we see him in the new trailer :(

Tookay

I seriously don't think the medic is going to amount to anything, guys.

What's the reveal going to be? "HAHAHA I was the MEDIC all along!" That has zero emotional resonance with anything.

And even if the medic's voice is Kiefer's pitched down a bit, there's plenty of rational reasons why they'd do that... namely the $$$. I love GZ but they cut a lot of corners in some areas.

Slightly off topic but I will ask this here:
If I grab the digital version of this game on PS4, do I still get the Konami Code thing that came with physical copies?
Also, what exactly does the code give me in TPP?
Seems that it does carry over.

teknix

Neo Member
All it will take is for Kojima to show Quiet and older Chico in the same room in the E3 trailer to put the theory to bed. But knowing Kojima, he will probably have Quiet in a cell after a torture session where the guard slips her meal under the door and ... A plate of sauerkraut and sausage. Oh the salt that will be had!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just heard the theory about Chico being Quiet today. Seems a bit far-fetched? I googled it to find some discussions and I stumbled upon the picture below. What do you make of it fellow Gafers?

omiJk3P.jpg

"Farewell Sausage"

is the best tweet ever.

Dremark

Banned
All of those characters died before they were "characters."

What I mean by that is that they all die before you get to meet them.

Haven't looked at this thread in a while.

Miller was a pretty big character in Metal Gear 2 so that's actually not the case for him although they have fleshed him out a bit more in the more recent games. That is the case for the rest of them though.

Andrew.

Banned
re posting from OT

So I romped through it last night and fuckin LOVED it! Really really liked the voice acting, direction and Sutherland as Snake. I must say it was quite a change to see him with children and being seemingly a little more warm hearted and not so cold as he becomes in the future. I never played Peace Walker so i appreciated the back story section which allowed me to get somewhat caught up.

Took me 99 minutes and I ended with a C rating =/ Going to be replaying tonight doing a full Commando run just pumpin everyone full of lead and collecting the patches.

Im definitely going to be replaying to collect all the tapes. I started the one side op to take care of those two Marine dudes but had to stop for the night. Definitely jumping back into it this weekend.

And man, that ending. Wasnt expecting that "surgical" procedure at the end. My friend and I were both looking away practically the whole time. That was some serious hardcore shit. Never seen anything like it in a game.

And then that full on teaser/trailer for Phantom Pain at the end? Ugh, why do we have to wait a year and a half for this?! I got chills watching it and then totally groaned when I realized how long I gotta wait to continure this journey.

Question though, who was supposed to be the guy in hospital bed at the end with his arm missing? Im assuming that isn't Snake/Big Boss?

And what year exactly will Phantom Pain take place? 1984 or post 2008? I got confused with that timeline at the end and then the doctor telling whoever is in that hospital bed that they've been out for nine years.

And can someone fill me in on Chico? Is he even human? That whole earbuds-plugged-into-the-chest thing was somethin else...

Also, the bolts that were shot through his achilles tendons(?). Jesus christ.

omiJk3P.jpg

i just want to play phantom pain for about one hour before the bat shit craziness starts to happen.

wat in the actual fuck

Edit: they do have similar nose structure. god dammit no!

Just finished Ground Zeroes yesterday, and apart from how short it was etc. I thought it was great and it gives me high hopes for the Phantom Pain.
I was really surprised how cynical people were after reading the first few pages of this thread, when you experience the twist rather than read about it, it's really effective. And listening to Chico's tapes was heartbreaking...

BD1

Banned
So, do you guys think there will be something akin to "Insanity Effects" relating to PTSD with Snake? Obviously nothing as over-the-top as in Eternal Darkness, but there are hints of "haunted" soldiers in Ground Zeroes. Interrogated soldiers asking "Are you a Phantom", the stuff about the Eye and the Finger, etc. Plus the ghost Volgin from the trailer and some of the "other worldly" things we've seen.

Batzi

Banned
So, do you guys think there will be something akin to "Insanity Effects" relating to PTSD with Snake? Obviously nothing as over-the-top as in Eternal Darkness, but there are hints of "haunted" soldiers in Ground Zeroes. Interrogated soldiers asking "Are you a Phantom", the stuff about the Eye and the Finger, etc. Plus the ghost Volgin from the trailer and some of the "other worldly" things we've seen.

He will be experiencing the phantom pain that's for sure.

So I just finished Ground Zeros.

This is probably the best stealth game I've ever played. The number of guards roaming the base along with the distance where Snake can be seen just makes the whole game feel like a real stealth simulator.

I played it without reflex mode, and I had to restart a few times because I couldn't pop off my tranq round fast enough to down guys who saw me, but when I did do it without reflex mode I felt like a fucking champion.

At first I thought the mark feature was going to break the game, but with the number of guards and discovery distance it's impossible without it. It just reminds me that I'm not Snake, so it would make sense that he has abilities to remember enemy positions that assist me controlling him.

My major complaints are really two things. Moving Snake around corners and walls is clunky, and got me caught a few times. The draw distance is pretty horrible, with things loading in as I look from side to side or zoom in.

I understand it's cross-platform, but for a PS4 game that's pretty unacceptable. I should't have to wait half a second for enemy's and objects to load in because I decided I wanted to quickly check behind me.

TheBoss1

So I just finished Ground Zeros.

This is probably the best stealth game I've ever played. The number of guards roaming the base along with the distance where Snake can be seen just makes the whole game feel like a real stealth simulator.

I played it without reflex mode, and I had to restart a few times because I couldn't pop off my tranq round fast enough to down guys who saw me, but when I did do it without reflex mode I felt like a fucking champion.

At first I thought the mark feature was going to break the game, but with the number of guards and discovery distance it's impossible without it. It just reminds me that I'm not Snake, so it would make sense that he has abilities to remember enemy positions that assist me controlling him.

My major complaints are really two things. Moving Snake around corners and walls is clunky, and got me caught a few times. The draw distance is pretty horrible, with things loading in as I look from side to side or zoom in.

I understand it's cross-platform, but for a PS4 game that's pretty unacceptable. I should't have to wait half a second for enemy's and objects to load in because I decided I wanted to quickly check behind me.

Word!

Holy shit.

I just got the first two Chico tapes outside of the main game, two and four.

Kojima, what the fuck.

What the fuck. What the fuck.

What. The. Fuck.

Top Bottom