• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - MB Coins pricing spotted on PSN

IceOrb

You can play online without getting invaded, simply dont build FOB base.

I know this.

I'm saying right now if you have the game and are playing you can't login to the online portions of the game. Servers aren't up yet.

At least not on Xbox One.

Anytime I've tried to use any of the online features I'm greeted with a nice error code and message stating the servers aren't up.

I'd be willing to bet that once they are up you will be able to earn MB coins just playing the base game.

gossi

One of the developers tweeted that you could earn them in game, but so far none of the reviewers (or people who got the game early) are reporting that they've got any in game.

Dawg

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the amount of FOBs also seem to influence how many simultaneous missions you can send your motherbase soldiers on.

For example, I have two missions pending but I can't start a third one because the game tells me I need additional FOBs to send out more units. Not sure if this is related.

danowat

Banned
I wonder how much excess money the typical whale has at his disposal in order to be willing to spend—in the worst case–hundreds of bucks on nonsense like this.

There are plenty of tools out there that tell people who make games using micro (or not so micro) transactions just how much these whales spend, I would imagine Konami have pitched their prices somewhere around there.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the amount of FOBs also seem to influence how many simultaneous missions you can send your motherbase soldiers on.

For example, I have two missions pending but I can't start a third one because the game tells me I need additional FOBs to send out more units. Not sure if this is related.

Yikes, if so.

hwy_61

Banned

what in motherfuck?

HOLY SHIT KONAMI

Arttemis

There are 3 buyable bases with MB Coins from what we know iirc, so $60. It's still scummy nonetheless.
You can't buy them with ingame currency.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-payments-in-metal-gear-solid-5s-online-p/1100-6429981/

"To clarify, the initial FOB -- which includes the FOB command platform and all sub-platforms -- is not behind a Mother Base coin paywall. Maintaining other FOBs past the initial set of FOB platforms can be purchased with Mother Base coins. More information regarding the payment model for FOB will be provided closer to launch."

"Konami had also said previously that the FOB mode would be "fully accessible at launch and the microtransaction layer to that specific feature in the game primarily acts as an accelerator." And Konami producer Kenichiro Imaizumi has also taken to Twitter to clarify MB Coins, the currency driving the gameplay of the F.O.B. multiplayer mode, can be earned in ways other than paying real world money for them."

I'm hoping this shit isn't exclusive to the store and isn't just drip-fed to 10 at a time or some ridiculous number when we need thousands.

What the fuck...

So much for everything is available to you without paying a single cent. Thanks Konami. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

sounds similar to what most mobile games do, ie limit progress through time barriers (buy gems/tokens/things to bypass that)

konami's ceo did say mobile was the future after all

Goteki_45

55E454D34F1E0D0024

Example of in-game pricing:
FSFEkLy.jpg

More info: http://metal-gear.net/2015/08/31/mother-base-coin-aka-in-game-currency-prices-revealed/

giphy.gif

Banned
80 fucking dollars for 6000 coins. That transcends highway robbery. Go fuck yourself Konami. I'll stick to single player only and earn them.

The prices seem fuck off expensive.

So if you want one of the areas that costs 1600 you would need to pay around $24? Sounds ludicrous.

Chariot

Great way to burn out my hype ao short before release, Konami.

bigol

Pes 2015 and i guess 2016 have Pes coins in Myclub to quickly buy agents and find better players.

These are the prices

Pro-Evolution-Soccer-2015_20141120175129.jpg

Pro-Evolution-Soccer-2015_20141120175226.jpg

There was another way to gain them anyway, even if at much slower pace. During the week you received 100 coins if you logged to online servers. You could also obtain them by normally playing and reaching some achievements.

I guess Metal Gear will be the same. Coins will be used to speed up the building process, but there will be alternative ways to earn them.

In their latest financial report KONAMI declared they were extremely satisfied by the new online payment system.

As for computer and video games, we saw strong revenue from the online payment
system on the myClub game mode of WORLD SOCCER Winning Eleven 2015 (known
in the U.S. and Europe as Pro Evolution Soccer 2015) which is the latest title in the
WORLD SOCCER Winning Eleven series

So people buy them.

Ridley327

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-payments-in-metal-gear-solid-5s-online-p/1100-6429981/

"To clarify, the initial FOB -- which includes the FOB command platform and all sub-platforms -- is not behind a Mother Base coin paywall. Maintaining other FOBs past the initial set of FOB platforms can be purchased with Mother Base coins. More information regarding the payment model for FOB will be provided closer to launch."

"Konami had also said previously that the FOB mode would be "fully accessible at launch and the microtransaction layer to that specific feature in the game primarily acts as an accelerator." And Konami producer Kenichiro Imaizumi has also taken to Twitter to clarify MB Coins, the currency driving the gameplay of the F.O.B. multiplayer mode, can be earned in ways other than paying real world money for them."

I'm hoping this shit isn't exclusive to the store and isn't just drip-fed to 10 at a time or some ridiculous number when we need thousands.

Konami is probably figuring that since you only need the one FOB to get a platinum/all achievements in the game that the controversy will largely blow over. The question, though, is if the different FOB locations allow for different layouts for your FOB that can't get with your initial selection, which could impact the long term value of the PvP feature in the base game.

No.

Enjoying the base game so far (around7/8 hours in) but there is no way i'm paying for any of this shit. If Konami want to make a FTP game, go ahead but how dare they charge £50 for a game and load it with microtransactions.

Assholes.

danowat

Banned

I thought FOB stuff was multiplayer invasion stuff?, but you're saying FOB is also single player stuff?, bit like sending assassins on missions in assassins creed?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Those pachinko machines aren't going to pay for themselves, I guess.

Farewell forever, Konami.

Kriken

Thanks for instilling confidence in me that these won't be a pain in the ass to acquire -_-

I know next to nothing about this because I've been on blackout mostly for the game. Does this effect me if I mainly just want to play singleplayer?

We might get MB Coins as a login bonus but don't expect them to be high enough that you'll accumulate enough for a base in a day or two or even a week. This is the most bullshit artificial limit for microtransactions I've ever seen in a game.

Ridley327

I know next to nothing about this because I've been on blackout mostly for the game. Does this effect me if I mainly just want to play singleplayer?

Not at all. You will need one FOB in order to get the game's sole online achievement, but that one won't cost you anything.

Top Bottom