• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - MB Coins pricing spotted on PSN

ger

Neo Member
I guess this article was a bust: http://www.pcgamer.com/mgs-5-the-phantom-pains-multiplayer-is-not-behind-a-paywall/

"Gamespot posted an article following the review that the PVP (FOB) mode in MGSV TPP will be restricted behind a micro-transaction paywall and that is simply not true. The FOB mode will be fully accessible at launch and the micro-transaction layer to that specific feature in the game primarily acts as an accelerator. We’ll have more details at launch, but we did try and clear these rumours up when they started circulating during E3. We even addressed this in our official E3 2015 demo when it went live during that show."

Roto13

I saw someone one Twitter complaining that the MB build speed was too slow, not sure if related to this. At the tie, I thought "hmm, that's a bit concerning..." But I never expected it to be this bad.

Anyone playing right now doesn't even have the free* FOB so that doesn't mean too much.

hirokazu

Anyone playing right now doesn't even have the free* FOB so that doesn't mean too much.
They mentioned it could be different when the servers are up, but that's not the point. I feel cheated that they said everything in the game can be obtained without spending money and they lied.

I'm gonna take the rest of the day to decide if I'm cancelling my preorder and taking my deposit back. I love Metal Gear, but when they pull something like this, it's not worth buying at full price, let alone a $250 CE.

From the image I would think this is a f2p game. Oh I can't wait for Angry Joes video about this. lol

I loved his ground zeroes review.

"The game itself... is suuuuperb, it's faaaantastic, I loved every moment. And that's what PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF THE MOST." So true Joe. So true.

biteren

From the image I would think this is a f2p game. Oh I can't wait for Angry Joes video about this. lol

tumblr_mi8zt3LsiF1ripb0io1_400.gif

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
The overreaction in this thread is quite high. You can send two teams out on Outer Ops missions based on the MB you have, and another two teams for every FOB. That means that you can send four teams out for free using the single FOB you're given in the game.

If you want another FOB, or to speed up production time on a weapon/item you need to use MB Coins. They're 100% optional and don't do anything other than grant you more FOBs or speed up production.

Duxxy3

I don't know if this would bother me or not, but these prices bother me. Especially when attached to a full priced game. Even more so because Konami essentially fired the team that made the game, probably because the team didn't want these disgusting practices in their game.

fritzo

The overreaction in this thread is quite high. You can send two teams out on Outer Ops missions based on the MB you have, and another two teams for every FOB. That means that you can send four teams out for free using the single FOB you're given in the game.

If you want another FOB, or to speed up production time on a weapon/item you need to use MB Coins. They're 100% optional and don't do anything other than grant you more FOBs or speed up production.

Yeah. Optional. This shit doesn't make me upset because I don't have to buy anything that I don't want. I wonder if people forgot that.

d9b

Banned

Lol, that's some F2P mobile phone bullshit right there.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Yeah, waiting 96 hours for the resources to unlock a gun or camo seems totally reasonable.

Yeah. Optional.
The in-game grinds are optional?

The optional bit looks to be the part where you can choose to pay real money to progress at a faster clip. But to incentivize that small percentage of players to shell out cash for these packs we're all opted-in to the grinds.

fritzo

I wonder if microtransactions would exist if the $60 price tag for games in the US were increased. Games are cheap nowadays.

Plasmid

hopefully there will be mods / console commands for these on PC. Unless they're tied to online services or something of that sort.

I wonder if microtransactions would exist if the $60 price tag for games in the US were increased. Games are cheap nowadays.
I think we'd end up with higher priced games that include micro- and macro-transactions.

Just like how digital storefronts haven't reduced the prices of games on consoles. And how even the $150-$250+ ultimate editions of games still don't include everything.

The goal, I think, is to remove any ceiling on how much money a customer can shell out for a given game. Selling ether like these accelerators and virtual currencies is better than selling actual content, because they are far more repeatable purchases.

Ostinatto

This is what I meant. Tried it again. FOBs messing with SP missions.

CNw-1WrW8AA2ouw.jpg:large

Calm down , sending only two combat groups into battle for GMP and resources isnt that bad, you can farm these by doing side missions too, why you would want to build the mother base that fast?, you dont want to play the game?

Yeah. Optional. This shit doesn't make me upset because I don't have to buy anything that I don't want. I wonder if people forgot that.

O, that's great for you. Glad to hear it.

Again, it's not even about how it's optional, it's about how it affects the rest of the game.

I wonder if people forget that they want people to buy these things, and that directly affects the design of the game for the worse.

It seems those defending it don't understand that simple premise.

I wonder if people forget that they want people to buy these things, and that directly affects the design of the game for the worse.

fritzo

True. I just wonder what the solution is. Publishers know we want certain items in games. They put a price on it, some hate it, some don't and buy it. They now not everyone will pony up extra money for stuff, so they are hoping a select few will. Its hard to tell people how they should spend their money.

fritzo

O, that's great for you. Glad to hear it.

Again, it's not even about how it's optional, it's about how it affects the rest of the game.

It seems those defending it don't understand that simple premise.

I honestly wonder HOW it will effect the SP game. I don't know if anyone actually knows.

True. I just wonder what the solution is. Publishers know we want certain items in games. They put a price on it, some hate it, some don't and buy it. They now not everyone will pony up extra money for stuff, so they are hoping a select few will. Its hard to tell people how they should spend their money.

Solution is put the shit in the game or save it for an expansion/sequel. Not design it so that it punishes you with an artificially inflated wait time to entice you into spending skrilla.

I honestly wonder HOW it will effect the SP game. I don't know if anyone actually knows.

This is what I meant. Tried it again. FOBs messing with SP missions.

CNw-1WrW8AA2ouw.jpg:large

How about selling actual content instead of virtual currencies and grind accelerators?

Fucking hell, I don't want to be a resource farmer in every big game. But that's how things are going.

Furyous

Is the free FOB limited to one console? For instance, if someone trades this in do they have to pay a fee to unlock one FOB in their game on top of the DLC prices? This fee could be $5 or $10 as a way to wring money out of people buying the game used. Think of it as fuckery on top of fuckery.

It's sad how we never get to learn about this stuff until the last minute, and journalists are content with being kept in the dark as long as their controlled review event piece can get their 10/10 out in time with every other outlet, I was actually going to go out and buy this tomorrow.

hirokazu

There are two problems here:

1) You cannot build extra FOB bases, that throws the whole claim of being able to obtain everything in-game out the window. There's now parts of the game on disc that's locked behind a paywall.

2) The game places restrictions on players in order to entice them to spend money to progress at the speed they might want to, and this is not what people were led to believe.

People were of the assumption that spending money allowed people to purchase items outright rather than save up, similar to EA and their "unlock everything"-type transactions. People laughed at that, but at the end of the day it doesn't affect the pacing of the game, it really was for people who didn't want to unlock it normally.

Instead, what we got is something akin to F2P or $1 mobile games where construction and production takes time, no matter if you have enough of the currency you can earn in-game.

You can casually play for hundreds of hours with those games without spending a cent. I've clocked in over 100 hours in Pokémon Shuffle. I've no complaints about that because it's a casual game that I can play on and off, and I only needed to pay if I agreed it was worth it. If not, I could just play something else and I wouldn't be worse off.

MGSV isn't a game that you're supposed to play casually. You shouldn't be made to sit there unable to progress because the game wants you to pay to play at the pace you want. You already paid good money to play it. And surprise, despite being free, Pokémon Shuffle actually one-ups MGSV: you can actually obtain all currencies in-game without spending any money at all.

I never thought the whole "never buy games at launch" advice would come to apply to MGS.

It's sad how we never get to learn about this stuff until the last minute, and journalists are content with being kept in the dark as long as their controlled review event piece can get their 10/10 out in time with every other outlet, I was actually going to go out and buy this tomorrow.
It is a real issue with reviews. Jim was right with "how can you trust a review rushed out to meet a deadline versus one done at a natural pace?" question. Since why all MGSV reviews I take with a grain of salt.

Facism

How about selling actual content instead of virtual currencies and grind accelerators?

Fucking hell, I don't want to be a resource farmer in every big game. But that's how things are going.

seriously. who wants to go to fucking work in a game? You don't even get paid.

Top Bottom