• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - MB Coins pricing spotted on PSN

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This is what I meant. Tried it again. FOBs messing with SP missions.

CNw-1WrW8AA2ouw.jpg:large

0750_ehs4j.gif

I'm sure all those reviewers at the Konami Boot Camp will adjust their scores. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

16BitNova

So, really it's not that bad. This is like in assassins creed when you send out assassins to do missions and you get resources upon completion. They are usually on a timer. So its all the same, just if you pay for more it's faster. I don't see the problem here. Everything in SP is still able to be competed and 100%'ed. You pay more for faster unlocks. That's usually how these things work.

Gaz_RB

Matters to me too. Just mean to say that I don't think it's a hard paywall - requiring extra purchases to play with FOBs. By making premium accelerators they can always describe the system as optional and unobtrusive - even though we all know they program these obstacles into the game on purpose in the first place.

Right. The whole "its completely optional, just for people who don't have as much time" has always been PR bullshit. That's why I hate to see players defending the practice using the same lame line. There is no reason to have micro transactions in a full priced game.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if it's because the server's aren't online yet, but after 30 hours of playing I haven't seen even a single mention of MB Coins in the game. Maybe you can earn them with the one free FOB you're allowed?

ZeroX03

Banned

Yeah they said something along the lines of this last month.

I'm not excusing this, but what did people think all the talk of funnelling resources and manpower to Mother Base meant? I thought it was always pretty obvious that FOB accelerated SP development.

A Konami executive came out the other day and proclaimed this as being the guaranteed GOTY. And I am saying that it will probably win such awards due to the review boot camp that no doubt tainted such glowing reviews due to the controlled environment and hiding of features such as this. It's easy to see and it's sickening.
Ok. Konami, the publisher of this game, said their game is "great".
Who cares if this game wins awards? Not all reviews were done at the review event. Even so, do you think this would have changed their scores?

So, really it's not that bad. This is like in assassins creed when you send out assassins to do missions and you get resources upon completion. They are usually on a timer. So its all the same, just if you pay for more it's faster. I don't see the problem here. Everything in SP is still able to be competed and 100%'ed. You pay more for faster unlocks. That's usually how these things work.

It's an arbitrary restriction that punishes people who don't pay. It's a problem.

Goddammit Konami.
XomHgt.gif

I can't wait for him to get his hands on it. I've absolutely loved watching him roast Konami. He does it so eloquently.

If you don't think the game is balanced in a huge favor for purchasing those coins....you'd be mistaken big time. What company would put something in like this if they don't want you to buy it? They rest of the game will suffer for it. It just depends on your tolerance of it.

depths20XX

It's anti-consumer and bad game design. Paying to do things faster in a game you payed full retail price for shouldn't be a thing.

One thing I don't really understand is why they would sell the coins in low increments like 100 or 550 if the cheapest items are over 1000 coins? This would imply that you can earn these coins in game somehow, right? Though I guess I wouldn't put it past Konami to pull something so stupid.
I will use Clicker Heroes, which is F2P, as an example.
The main currency is rubies. You get 4 per random objects or 25 for watching an ad every hour. On the store, you can buy 200 for $2 or 14000 for $100.
The store has 25 as the lowest and 500 for the highest thing to buy. So in one day, you can buy the max thing which saves you 1 day's time of playing the game. The $100 means you can bypass 28 days of playing the game.
This probably saves you 4-5 hours for $15 bucks. The value is pretty crap when Clicker Heroes saves you 24 hours for $5.

Also Clicker Heroes is free to play, so no $60 investment needed. Edit: Should mention it is a PC game first later ported to mobile

It's anti-consumer and bad game design. Paying to do things faster in a game you payed full retail price for shouldn't be a thing.
Indeed, this crap shouldn't be in games I pay for. If you want more money, make interesting DLC.

spekkeh

Banned
Lol at people disgusted at the height of the microtransactions. We've been on this slippery slope for some time now. At this rate two years from now it's omg 160 dollars how about no random publisher, nothing like MGS microtransactions.

When you should have decried any price of (gameplay based) microtransactions in a retail game.

Broank

I'm assuming it's like Dragon Age as well. That didn't bother me too much.

SRTtoZ

If it affects the SP experience in any way this shit is going back to Amazon so fast. I don't give 2 shits about the online though.

ironcreed

Banned
Ok. Konami, the publisher of this game, said their game is "great".
Who cares if this game wins awards? Not all reviews were done at the review event. Even so, do you think this would have changed their scores?

If they were honest and cared about consumers, I would hope such anti-consumer bullshit would reflect in their scoring. I don't give a shit how great the core game is, stuff like this has no place in a full retail game, period.

A-V-B

Lol at people disgusted at the height of the microtransactions. We've been on this slippery slope for some time now. At this rate two years from now it's omg 160 dollars how about no random publisher, nothing like MGS microtransactions.

When you should have decried any price of (gameplay based) microtransactions in a retail game.

People WERE decrying this shit years ago. What's happening today was predicted even as far back as horse armor.

depths20XX

I really don't see how.

You don't?

"Hmm, this part of the game could be way less grindy if the player was allowed to get more FOB's. It seems to take way too long the current way"

"Ok, but make them have to pay real money to get more FOB's if they don't want it to be a really tedious experience."

I don't see how you in any way think that's cool.

I will use Clicker Heroes, which is F2P, as an example.

I get that, what I'm saying is mechanically there is a way to still earn those objects without paying; watching ads, you said. The low increments are basically to "fill in the gaps" when you otherwise have enough for something but just want it now. It's a way to give high activity players an incentive to pay even a small sum of money.

The thing with MGSV is, if there's no way to earn MB Coins in game, you would never be in a scenario like this where you just need 100 coins to "fill in the gap." Naturally, if you could never earn MB Coins in game, you would never buy a bunch of 100 coin packs to buy a FOB. That just wouldn't make sense, and at that point the game might as well include each FOB as one-time-buy DLC with set prices.

Konami really should address what's going on here. Even in the best case scenario their communication has been atrocious.

TylerD

It's feels like I've been handed $85. I got the $60 game through Nvidia promotion and the $25 FOB is on top?!? Wow-ee!

I'll buy a nice big chunk of MB coins since I didn't have to pay for anything yet.

Korezo

I canceled my ps4 ce because I knew these people didn't deserve any money, and got a hold of a nvidia promo code instead. I hope this isn't as bad as it looks.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm not quite sure on what spending an extra $80 to do is, but I definitely don't think everyone should return their game.

I'm having a hard time wanting to decide to just fork over the money. Sure, there must be something that would come from spending $80.

If this was a "Help Silent Hills get funded by Hideo Kojima" thing then I'd think they could have an extra $80.

This is too much of a Liquid Asset that I am not too Solid about.

Revven

Which is why you should never ever trust reviews written in a controlled environment pre-release.

Even if you didn't go to the event, the servers for this stuff is offline until tomorrow anyway. Is it disingenuous to not let the press try out these features regardless, whether at the event or in their own home/office for review? Absolutely. But if people want reviews that cover everything appropriately then you need to wait after release period. And 9 times out of 10, most reviews are done pre-release and never post-release unless a significant portion of the game isn't accessible until release day. In most reviewers minds, it seems FOB is not a significant enough feature to warrant delaying their reviews until a few days after release.

Now whether that's for views or their own personal opinion is up in the air (obviously the former would make the most logical sense) but even then the reviewer has the option to not post the score yet until the feature is available to try. We've seen reviewers do this when an entire multiplayer isn't able to be played until release day or that they wait until they can play with others in a real-time environment and not a controlled one.

Whatever the case, no one had access to FOB no matter their circumstance pre-release. No one can seriously try it out in full until tomorrow.

It's probably as scummy as it sounds and they've been covering their asses the whole time but let's not pretend the only reviewers that played the game did it in a controlled environment -- and those that weren't in that controlled environment suddenly had access to features the ones at the controlled event did not... That's the ultimate point I'm making. Not a single reviewer, whether at the event or not couldn't try these features. At all. And that's a problem all on its own.

I don't know if it's because the server's aren't online yet, but after 30 hours of playing I haven't seen even a single mention of MB Coins in the game. Maybe you can earn them with the one free FOB you're allowed?

That's correct, the servers for FOB won't launch until tomorrow. No one has been able to try the invasion/defender features and whatever else is attached to FOB (such as actually building the FOB and developing it like your Mother Base).

A-V-B

I'm not quite sure on what spending an extra $80 to do is, but I definitely don't think everyone should return their game.

I'm having a hard time wanting to decide to just fork over the money. Sure, there must be something that would come from spending $80.

Sure.

You could go to dinner at a nice restaurant.

You could buy another newly released game and have money left over.

You could go to a concert.

Lots of fun to be had with 80 dollars.

hasidan

Neo Member
Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I see a lot of people getting angry, but I don't see much evidence that these coins will actually ruin the game if you don't buy them. Tomorrow a lot of us will buy MGSV and if the game turns out to be broken because of the microtransactions we can all get p***** off - but until then I will just look forward to something I hope will be really special.

hirokazu

I thought they said everything could be unlocked in-game without the need to pay for microtransactions? They lied?

I have a preorder for the CE which is ready for pickup today and I almost feel like cancelling. WTF.

16BitNova

If you don't think the game is balanced in a huge favor for purchasing those coins....you'd be mistaken big time. What company would put something in like this if they don't want you to buy it? They rest of the game will suffer for it. It just depends on your tolerance of it.

I really don't think the rest of the game will suffer for it. All this does is affect your mother base or whatever it's called. From impressions I've seen the mother base doesn't have much to do at all. It's a place where you can have conversations with NPC characters, overhear conversations, just roam around, or get invaded in the Invasion type mode. It will affect the invasion type mode, maybe, we don't know yet. But, I highly doubt it has any affect on story or vs multiplayer mode.

A-V-B

I really don't think the rest of the game will suffer for it. All this does is affect your mother base or whatever it's called. From impressions I've seen the mother base doesn't have much to do at all. .

Mother base is how you research and develop every weapon and item in the game.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I see a lot of people getting angry, but I don't see much evidence that these coins will actually ruin the game if you don't buy them. Tomorrow a lot of us will buy MGSV and if the game turns out to be broken because of the microtransactions we can all get p***** off - but until then I will just look forward to something I hope will be really special.

It hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the game. I want for not. But, it's a glaring bottleneck, and that's going to rub people the wrong way.

I thought they said everything could be unlocked in-game without the need to pay for microtransactions? They lied?

I have a preorder for the CE which is ready for pickup today and I almost feel like cancelling. WTF.

You can get everything in single player. It's just exponentially slower.

I really don't think the rest of the game will suffer for it. All this does is affect your mother base or whatever it's called. From impressions I've seen the mother base doesn't have much to do at all. It's a place where you can have conversations with NPC characters, overhear conversations, just roam around, or get invaded in the Invasion type mode. It will affect the invasion type mode, maybe, we don't know yet. But, I highly doubt it has any affect on story or vs multiplayer mode.

Isn't every single item and weapon developed at MB though? I mean if those aspects of the game aren't important to you than yeah, I could understand this being a non-issue. I'd bet early on it's not a bid deal, but late game will suffer.

Top Bottom