• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - MB Coins pricing spotted on PSN

If they were honest and cared about consumers, I would hope such anti-consumer bullshit would reflect in their scoring. I don't give a shit how great the core game is, stuff like this has no place in a full retail game, period.
Maybe they will disagree with you.

You don't?

"Hmm, this part of the game could be way less grindy if the player was allowed to get more FOB's. It seems to take way too long the current way"

"Ok, but make them have to pay real money to get more FOB's if they don't want it to be a really tedious experience."

I don't see how you in any way think that's cool.
I was disagreeing with you on the base that paying for things to go faster is bad. Not this example. It could be bad but it doesn't have to be.

Then I don't think anyone will be able to convince you otherwise. It's all there in how it's anti-consumer.
Your right, but I was interested in why he/she thought that.

A-V-B

V9JIDHA.png

Source

Whoopee.

Owzers

What does an FOB do and what is the downside of not having one?

( i've been avoiding a lot of coverage for this game i hate microtransaction shenanigans)

A-V-B

( i've been avoiding a lot of coverage for this game i hate microtransaction shenanigans)

1. It's a multiplayer gameplay mode where people can invade the base. It's the only way to play with other people before MGO comes out.

2. It directly affects how many resources you can accrue for R&D at Mother Base.

Guys, I'm looking at the official guide I got today and it states the following:

You must be online to build FOBs. Your first FOB is free of charge.
Additional FOBs must be purchased with MB Coins, aqquired through microtransactions with real-life money.

Theres nothing about earning them ingame from what I can see.

Edit::

Image from the guide:

Let me know if I need to take it down for being a scan:

Feels like a game with 2 halfs.

1st Part - The awesome single player game that Kojima made.

2nd Part - The bit that Konami added in to try and get even more money out of MGS fans.

Hopefully nobody buys these MB Coins and Konami have to change these crappy policies.

A-V-B

Feels like a game with 2 halfs.

1st Part - The awesome single player game that Kojima made.

2nd Part - The bit that Konami added in to try and get even more money out of MGS fans.

Hopefully nobody buys these MB Coins and Konami have to change these crappy policies.

Like it even matters! Metal Gear, as we know it, ceases to exist after this. There is no future, no hope for change.

It's just a parting shot to the nuts.

Woo-Fu

Banned

FOB is a resource generator. Research points, etc. are generated by an FOB. The more FOB you have presumably the more resource points you have to devote to any given project. Additionally the number of missions you can have your crew out on simultaneously appears to be limited by the number of FOBs you own. Presumably those missions also generate resources.

As far as microtransactions go I'm going to have to assume micro means something else in Japanese than it does in English. There's nothing micro about this pricing.

Its your online Mother Base. Basically how you grind out leveling/buying gear and more in MGO.

If you have only one, you will not be maxing anything quickly

Boke1879

It's an arbitrary restriction that punishes people who don't pay. It's a problem.

Yet we've known this sort of thing was in the game a while ago. I'm not justifying this but we can complete the main single player game without paying a single cent on this stuff. We have people that have had the game a week and have already beaten it with the servers off.

AC does this exact same thing. the FOB only helps accelerate MB development. They definitely won't see a single dime from me but I still know the single player is able to be completed.

If anyone has an issue either don't buy the game or complain to Konami. Otherwise we'll just have the same conversation until the next game comes out.

16BitNova

Isn't every single item and weapon developed at MB though? I mean if those aspects of the game aren't important to you than yeah, I could understand this being a non-issue. I'd bet early on it's not a bid deal, but late game will suffer.

Of course those things are important to me. Gadgets and weapons are huge in Metal Gear. I just highly doubt that the developers will allow for things to be extra difficult to achieve with just having the "base" game without micro transactions purchased. I guess we'll see tomorrow. But, I just think we are all jumping to conclusions too quickly and it will probably all be an over reaction.

Guys, I'm looking at the official guide I got today and it states the following:

Additional FOBs must be purchased with MB Coins, aqquired through microtransactions with real-life money.

BULLSHIT. I'M SO UPSET BUT I'M GETTING THE GAME FOR $40.

A-V-B

Here's something I'm wondering..

Can a FOB be destroyed? Like, you utterly fail at base defense, and you lose a FOB. Can that happen?

Owzers

FOB is a resource generator. Research points, etc. are generated by an FOB. The more FOB you have presumably the more resource points you have to devote to any given project. Additionally the number of missions you can have your crew out on simultaneously appears to be limited by the number of FOBs you own. Presumably those missions also generate resources.

I think i media-black-outed too much. But thank you and the other poster for the info.

ironcreed

Banned
Maybe they will disagree with you.

That's nice. But I will state again that microtransactions like this have no place in $60 games. As the very design by nature is to structure the game towards making you want to buy them by slowing progression down and disrespecting your time. If you love that kind of design in a game that you already paid for, then more power to you.

Cleve

Come on Konami, I really want something that's truly BEST VALUE. Where's my $250 option?

fuck this shit

Kalentan

Why don't games just use $1, $5... Why $1.65 and $7.95? Oh right. Cause you have to add $10 to PSN to buy something that is between $5 and $9. So you can buy both the $7.95 and $1.65. :/

Image from the guide:

What a bunch of cunts. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth even though I know the game is amazing.

Glad this is the last penny Konami will ever get from me.

d9b

Banned

What's all this "MB coins" BS Konami? Be honest with us and cut the crap, there should be option in the title screen where you can just input your credit card details and be done with it. Video games industry is eating itself. Fuckin' greed always ruins everything...

Of course those things are important to me. Gadgets and weapons are huge in Metal Gear. I just highly doubt that the developers will allow for things to be extra difficult to achieve with just having the "base" game without micro transactions purchased. I guess we'll see tomorrow. But, I just think we are all jumping to conclusions too quickly and it will probably all be an over reaction.

I don't think so at all. It's all there to be seen. Konami's fundamental shift to gambling machines being the major red flag. Them forcing this shit into MGS because of how well it worked for their other titles. Not having access to any other FOB portions unless you pay. Them lying on twitter about it until the the 25th hour. I mean, it's there to be seen, ya just gotta put the pieces together.

Petrae

Any last-minute temptation that I might have had to buy this game tomorrow vanished after reading the latest developments in this thread. What a mess this micro/macrotransaction thing is.

Freemium models in $60 games aren't things that I will support. It's one thing if a game is free and working on a timer; I haven't spent any money, so I can walk away when it gets too grindy having lost little. In a $60 game, waiting on timers and shit (unless I pay extra) is straight-up greed. Greedy for my money, greedy for my time.

At least I can choose to spend my money and my time on something else.

Lothars

I don't think so at all. It's all there to be seen. Konami's fundamental shift to gambling machines being the major red flag. Them forcing this shit into MGS because of how well it worked for their other titles. You not having access to any other FOB portions unless you pay. Them lying on twitter about it until the the 25th hour. I mean, it's there to be seen, ya just gotta put the pieces together.
It sucks especially when there is no way to earn the coins other than buying them.

Again everything can be done a 100% if you don't do that. as long as that's the case than well not being okay, it's not the end of the world some people are saying it is.

A-V-B

Any last-minute temptation that I might have had to buy this game tomorrow vanished after reading the latest developments in this thread. What a mess this micro/macrotransaction thing is.

Freemium models in $60 games aren't things that I will support. It's one thing if a game is free and working on a timer; I haven't spent any money, so I can walk away when it gets too grindy having lost little. In a $60 game, waiting on timers and shit (unless I pay extra) is straight-up greed. Greedy for my money, greedy for my time.

At least I can choose to spend my money and my time on something else.

Maybe Kojima can go and work for CD Projekt.

epmode

Image from the guide:

Fuck Konami.

Awful.

Alternatively, screw every critic that threw up a review without finding out how this feature would work.

Last thing I will post on this topic without any major updates.

I have to say if there is any silver lining from this development is that I really have a deeper appreciation for the Witcher 3 and how they went about extra content.

I love me some Kojima storytelling, but...No. CDProjektRed have really nailed storytelling for RPGs. Kojima's way of telling a story is pick what's best for the moment, not what makes sense in context. Which would be terrible for an RPG.

So... is this FOB shit only for this online mode or is there any of it in the SP?

This is what I meant. Tried it again. FOBs messing with SP missions.

CNw-1WrW8AA2ouw.jpg:large

Like it even matters! Metal Gear, as we know it, ceases to exist after this. There is no future, no hope for change.

It's just a parting shot to the nuts.

It is sad that Konami have tried to ruin the final chapter of MGS, luckily Kojima still made a good game despite these few issues.

Best bet, just ignore the FOB stuff and enjoy the single player experience, which most people, who already have it, seem to agree that the game is great.

A-V-B

I love me some Kojima storytelling, but...No. CDProjektRed have really nailed storytelling for RPGs. Kojima's way of telling a story is, pick what's best for the moment, not what makes sense in context. Which would be terrible for an RPG.

I'm not saying he should make a CDPR RPG. I'm saying they're high-standard, financially successful folks who would allow him creative freedom and not butcher his work with gambling/drugdealing mechanics.

hirokazu

You can get everything in single player. It's just exponentially slower.
Sorry, but when they say "everything" I expect it to mean everything and that includes FOBs. When I'm paying $250 for the game, I don't expect to have to pay up to another $60 or so or face bottlenecks while playing the game.

It's one thing to have to save up in-game currency for optional weapons upgrades, it's something else entirely to be artificially restricted in playing the game without paying. If I wanted an experience like that, I could play an F2P where i didn't play anything to begin with.

I'm not saying he should make a CDPR RPG. I'm saying they're high-standard, financially successful folks who would allow him creative freedom and not butcher his work with gambling/drugdealing mechanics.

I guess that would depend if he was willing to take a pay cut. I assume he's payed extremely well.

Roto13

This isn't necessarily a big deal if you get resources at a good rate with just the one free* FOB. It could also be utter trash, though. I guess we'll see. Microtransactions don't necessarily ruin a game but they certainly can.

*free with purchase of $60 video game

hirokazu

This isn't necessarily a big deal if you get resources at a good rate with just the one free* FOB. It could also be utter trash, though. I guess we'll see. Microtransactions don't necessarily ruin a game but they certainly can.

*free with purchase of $60 video game
I saw someone one Twitter complaining that the MB build speed was too slow, not sure if related to this. At the tie, I thought "hmm, that's a bit concerning..." But I never expected it to be this bad.

epmode

This isn't necessarily a big deal if you get resources at a good rate with just the one free* FOB.

What would be the point of charging for more if one was adequate? These kind of systems are designed to annoy the player enough to spend extra. It's the entire reason they exist.

Fuck Konami. What a miserable company.

Top Bottom