• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - MB Coins pricing spotted on PSN

Dawg

Yes the only way to have more than two missions at a time going is to build FOB, that seems to be the only real benefit, which is not that important. The missions are done like every 20 minutes.

I don't disagree with you that they don't take that long. But if I'm getting this right... someone who pays for these FOBs can do multiple missions at the same time while regular players have a limit of two missions.

That means people who pay real money get more GMP, resources, blueprints and other stuff.

It would contradict everything they've said. It means the microtransactions do have an effect on singleplayer gameplay.

It's pretty shady. You can still do all the missions, but at a slower pace.

spuit*11

Banned
Daylight robbery. Pure money wringing.
Better pay 80 bucks to have the game modify your savefile to show x amount of imaginary currency. Give me a fucking break.

The only consolation is that the PC version will probably get modded with the quickness.

So seems to be some confusion over the actual purpose of these then?

Some saying multiplayer / invasion stuff only, and others saying linked to the amount of teams you can send on missions in single player?

It's both. It's tied to multiplayer and it's the only way to send more than two teams on missions, but the missions thing is no big deal.

Technically it is, cause you can earn coins without paying. How much coins and how do you exactly earn them is the biggest mistery of it all and what will determined if these micro transactions affect the single player experience or not.

So far it seems you need to be online to be able to earn coins, i'm almost 35 hours in and i haven't earned a single coin, servers are still offline tho.

Could work like NBA 2K. When offline, you receive in-game "points" but when connected online, you receive an in-game "currency." If that makes any sense. Maybe a certain amount of GMP becomes MB Coins per X amount of GMP?

jaxpunk

have you been reading the thread?

I've read that there is no exact detail oh how the coins are earned inside the game. Who's to say you don't get 100 a day? No one, because no one knows. But that doesn't stop internet knee jerkers from jerking their knees.

Is there even any details on what exactly the coins do? That also seems a bit murky unless I missed something. It's a way to not take time building your base if you need it NOW and what else?

micster

MGO is guaranteed to have micros transaction or some kind of f2p model, Konami wanted MGO sold separately from MGS4 back in 08, they sure as hell wont allow the new MGO to be developed separately for MGSV only to release months later for free without a twist.

MGO was sold separately here in Japan some time after MGS4's initial release.

89811_front.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Totally gross, it's the f2p model except you are skipping the f2 part....

Fuck Konami, fuck this trend, fuckthisthaeverything.gif

And yet, people will support and pay it, which just sends the wrong message, but some folks just don't friggin care...

It's been obvious since we first discovered the microtransactions, but nobody even blinked because it's MGS and Kojima. This kind of stuff is not in there for 'convenience.' It's to reel in every fish they can with expensive bait.

danowat

Banned
It's both. It's tied to multiplayer and it's the only way to send more than two teams on missions, but the missions thing is no big deal.

I've yet to play the game, sitting there pre-loaded waiting to unlock!!!

So you are effectively limited with the amount of missions you can send people on in singleplayer, which I assume give mats / currency?, so effectively, you can speed things up in singleplayer using these maxi-transactions.

Is there even any details on what exactly the coins do? That also seems a bit murky unless I missed something. It's a way to not take time building your base if you need it NOW and what else?

Yes, people are explaining in this thread that they are for both multi and single player elements, but posts get lost in the noise.

I don't think I'm going to unwrap my copy of the game until there's full disclosure on exactly what parts of the game MB points effect (like build times), how you can earn MB points without spending any money, and how quickly you can earn them.

I don't disagree with you that they don't take that long. But if I'm getting this right... someone who pays for these FOBs can do multiple missions at the same time while regular players have a limit of two missions.

That means people who pay real money get more GMP, resources, blueprints and other stuff.

It would contradict everything they've said. It means the microtransactions do have an effect on singleplayer gameplay.

Microtransactions affecting game design?

Surely-You-Cant-Be-Serious-In-Airplane-Gif.gif

Yeah, it's not gonna stop me from playing the game but it is shady af no question

That is the whole point, those who pay don't earn more, they earn the same as you but faster. I can send 3 teams btw, the third one needs vehicles and the game tells me i need to get more to be able to send that team.

Could work like NBA 2K. When offline, you receive in-game "points" but when connected online, you receive an in-game "currency." If that makes any sense. Maybe a certain amount of GMP becomes MB Coins per X amount of GMP?

Probably, i hope servers are up tonight so we can finally test this.

Facism

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the amount of FOBs also seem to influence how many simultaneous missions you can send your motherbase soldiers on.

For example, I have two missions pending but I can't start a third one because the game tells me I need additional FOBs to send out more units. Not sure if this is related.

yes. It fucking sucks. What an absolutely fucking haram company.

Matush

Yep, they dont deserve any of my money, will borrow MGS V down the line, but SP related microtransactions in $60 game is too much for me.

Yes in that sense it does effect. And seeing how crazy the costs of the higher advanced stuff is I assume most people won't even get close to the hire tiered items. I take time to Fulton a ton of people and materials and I have a back log of like 30 items to develop and of course the base to expand. oh and it costs a bunch of money to Fulton the heavier stuff. I have finished missions where my net profit is like 50k cause I had like 130k in in mission expenses.

As of now I don't care, I will play this game for like a hundred hours. Also I don't feel like I am grinding at all yet, I do this naturally as I advance the game. But that may change.

Well. So that's what they mean by "accelerator".

What does MB allow? To build extra FOBs.
How does an FOB help with resources? By allowing you to send soldiers on more missions.
So, more FOBs = more resources.

This disinterest me. But I do wonder if each FOB will have a different layout. That could disrubt the 1v1 PVP Invasion of the game (which I look forward to a LOT).

Technically it is, cause you can earn coins without paying. How much coins and how do you exactly earn them is the biggest mistery of it all and what will determined if these micro transactions affect the single player experience or not.

So far it seems you need to be online to be able to earn coins, i'm almost 35 hours in and i haven't earned a single coin, servers are still offline tho.

The PES microtransactions according to a post in a previous page was something around 100 coins per week. I'm assuming that's the main source of earning coins, if you get 100 coins guaranteed per week then it'll take you 15 weeks for one FOB. 45 weeks for 3, that's almost a year of waiting. That too if nothing goes wrong with their server and you get the coins if you log in at least once per week.

papo

This is trash. I'm holding off buying the game, will wait a few days and get a used copy.

Really? This was known a long time ago, now you wish to make a statement by buying used? smh. No one is forcing you to buy into the microtransactions, it will not change the experience.

This is why gaming is dying.

I'm still, without a shadow of a doubt looking forward to playing MGS V: TPP, just gotta wait for the Steam version to unlock.

But let it be known: Fuck Konami. 80$ worth of coins? Someone's gonna tell me "you probably won't be forced to buy it". That's irrelevant. The fact that they even give you the option of buying in-game currency for more than the value of the fucking game is LUDICROUS. THIS IS A 60$ FULL-PRICED GAME, these options should not exist unless the plan is that the game has a F2P component or is subsidized in some other way.

Looks like the going rate is 24 USD per extra FOB. Outer Heaver sure doesn't come cheap!

We have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology, we go where we're needed, fighting not for country, not for Government, but for ourselves.
We need no reason to fight, we fight because we are needed.
We will be the deterrent for those with no other recourse.
We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services.
If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this?
It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

SkullmtghB_145.png

I won't be spending a penny on them, I rarely buy dlc, let alone in game currency. Fuck that. I will getting around it on the PC, there's always a way.

I'm assuming it won't be long until someone discovers a glitch to duplicate coins and it will spread like wildfire because of the bad pricing model. Hopefully the model changes and MGO doesn't have ridiculous pricing like this (I'm alright with paying for cosmetics).

Justified

Kinda of crappy, but everything can be obtained in-game so not a deal breaker for me, as long as its not a grind. I play NBA2K all year without spending a cent of VC, so I guess Im conditioned already.

"While it is true that a few microtransaction options do exist, the entire game has been carefully balanced to be fair and enjoyable with or without using these options. There's no pay-to-win option. Rest assured that every single item, weapon, and mission in the game is available to all players without paying a single cent."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE0y6bGAjZ0

Really? This was known a long time ago, now you wish to make a statement by buying used? smh. No one is forcing you to buy into the microtransactions, it will not change the experience.

Sounds like it might.

Yeah, that's right, it's consumers taking a stance against paywalls and moneygrabs that's killing the industry. Uh huh.

daveo42

Banned
Looks like I'm passing on FOBs then unless there is some other way of acquiring them. $80 to unlock the rest of MB is absolutely ludicrous and seems evident of Konami's current view on gaming in general.

Boke1879

Kinda of crappy, buy everything can be obtained in-game so not a deal breaker for me, as long as its not a grind. I play NBA2K all year without spending a cent of VC, so I guess Im conditioned already.

“Rest assured that every single item, weapon, and mission in the game is available to all players without paying a single cent,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE0y6bGAjZ0

Yea they won't get a dime of my money and I'll just play the game. Hearing people who already have the game playing and enjoying it so this doesn't worry me that the game is a grind.

danowat

Banned

They aren't, however.

Premium gaming shouldn't be a two tiered system, you shouldn't get a different experience by plonking down x amount of money to the person who paid the same price, for the same game, but just doesn't want to pony up the extra money on top of the game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Meh, when the hotel room is this nice, who cares what a rip-off the mini bar is.

22hrs in, 9% done.

Top Bottom