• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - MB Coins pricing spotted on PSN

MattyG

Banned
Guys, I wrote a Haiku for Konami to show how their overpriced "micro"transactions will affect others;

An ocean, empty

Big Boss, devoid a of home

Fuck you Konami

FOB is what I was looking forward to the most and this fucking bullshit looks like it will totally ruin it. It's not just me making the choice to build one, the only way FOB is fun is if a bunch of people play it.

These coins better be earned in game. They have to be. I will lose my mind if they are not.

Well. So that's what they mean by "accelerator".

What does MB allow? To build extra FOBs.
How does an FOB help with resources? By allowing you to send soldiers on more missions.
So, more FOBs = more resources.

This disinterest me. But I do wonder if each FOB will have a different layout. That could disrubt the 1v1 PVP Invasion of the game (which I look forward to a LOT).

There will be microtransctions for reducing time taken for R&D as we know already, those probably require MB coins. Those are your proper accelerators.

It's really gross that the game launches in 14 hours and there is no information on how MB Coins are earned ingame.

At this point I'm assuming the worst possible implementation.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Outer Heaven? More like Outer Wallet.

That pricing is so high they're shooting themselves in the foot with people who normally would throw a few dollars out there for another FOB. $24 to double your points of vulnerability to invasion? LOL.

duckroll

Looks like I'm passing on FOBs then unless there is some other way of acquiring them. $80 to unlock the rest of MB is absolutely ludicrous and seems evident of Konami's current view on gaming in general.

It's not $80. There might not be a hard cap. Everyone -should- be able to build at least one FOB without spending anything, since it's part of the campaign multiplayer progression in the game. But it seems that acquiring additional territorial waters will come with a cost which is not easily earned in-game. That's where these microtransactions come in - for people who want a bunch of FOBs. It looks like the cost of new territories runs at about 1500-1700 MB Coins each, so that's about 24 bucks each if you're buying them this way. I don't think we know if there are a limited number of territories in the first place, so it could well be that someone could spend hundreds of dollars on MB Coins and have like 10 or 20 FOBs.

Miracle

Really? This was known a long time ago, now you wish to make a statement by buying used? smh. No one is forcing you to buy into the microtransactions, it will not change the experience.

Except it does. Microtransactions have a pretty big effect in a game's design as a whole.

I'd be more inclined to buy these if I could be guaranteed the money would be going to sponsor a Konami employee being spared from a life of mopping a gym locker room.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Please tell me I don't need to purchase these for singleplayer. I'm buying this tomorrow ... Well I WAS going to buy this tomorrow. I can still unlock all the weapons and gizmos without this ....right?

Sjefen

tumblr_n7sm0mij3L1td7wmfo1_400.gif

In other words, HELL NO.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't disagree with you that they don't take that long. But if I'm getting this right... someone who pays for these FOBs can do multiple missions at the same time while regular players have a limit of two missions.

That means people who pay real money get more GMP, resources, blueprints and other stuff.

It would contradict everything they've said. It means the microtransactions do have an effect on singleplayer gameplay.

It's pretty shady. You can still do all the missions, but at a slower pace.

Absolute bullshit. But then again, it's Konami. Like I said, I have been expecting this kind of news ever since we found out about the microtransactions. I mean, the purpose of them being there is to try and get you to spend more money. How anyone ever doubted this is beyond me.

PnCIa

Oh come on, see it like a season pass. Thats something that people buy without complaining, right?
I mean, if a season pass is okay...or a gun skin for a dollar...then this is also okay!

It's not $80. There might not be a hard cap. Everyone -should- be able to build at least one FOB without spending anything, since it's part of the campaign multiplayer progression in the game. But it seems that acquiring additional territorial waters will come with a cost which is not easily earned in-game. That's where these microtransactions come in - for people who want a bunch of FOBs. It looks like the cost of new territories runs at about 1500-1700 MB Coins each, so that's about 24 bucks each if you're buying them this way. I don't think we know if there are a limited number of territories in the first place, so it could well be that someone could spend hundreds of dollars on MB Coins and have like 10 or 20 FOBs.

I think you can only build one FOB on each water.

It really is scummy though. This is what I worried about the most pre release, and there has been noway shown how to earn MB coins in game. No way at all.

Banned
Outer Heaven? More like Outer Wallet.

That pricing is so high they're shooting themselves in the foot with people who normally would throw a few dollars out there for another FOB. $24 to double your points of vulnerability to invasion? LOL.

oZAhDmD.jpg

Oh thank god, at least one should be free. As long as everyone has a base to potentially invade I will be happy. Not sure I even want to worry about multiple bases, one is enough. I just want thousands of bases to invade.

Doesn't really bother me as the first FOB is free, and frankly I don't want multiple and I get invaded twice or 3 times as often or some shit. 24 bucks for one is ridiculous. Maybe the daily login will be useful in getting more but I bet that will be like 50 coins a day or some bull.

Aces&Eights

Please tell me I don't need to purchase these for singleplayer. I'm buying this tomorrow ... Well I WAS going to buy this tomorrow.

It sounds like you can do the SP missions and get your main base without them. I'm reading this to be if you want bases in the other oceans to enjoy the base invading stuff then you need to buy them.

If true, total bullshit.

geordiemp

I don't disagree with you that they don't take that long. But if I'm getting this right... someone who pays for these FOBs can do multiple missions at the same time while regular players have a limit of two missions.

That means people who pay real money get more GMP, resources, blueprints and other stuff.

It would contradict everything they've said. It means the microtransactions do have an effect on singleplayer gameplay.

It's pretty shady. You can still do all the missions, but at a slower pace.

OK, thats it fuck it.

I will buy this game in a month 2nd hand, then they maybe can have their 7.50 !

Destiny out in 2 weeks...maybe mad max will be good

duckroll

Oh thank god, at least one should be free. As long as everyone has a base to potentially invade I will be happy. Not sure I even want to worry about multiple bases, one is enough. I just want thousands of bases to invade.

Mind you, I'm not 100% sure. I'm just assuming what seems sensible. Especially since they publicly denied that it was locked behind a pay wall. We'll find out for sure tomorrow. Fingers... crossed...? :(

ZeroX03

Banned
I wanted to get the platinum trophy for this game, but I'm not gonna pay or do a ridiculous grind.

You get one FOB free, and the only trophy related to it is to do one invasion.

The very nature of the game of necessitates a grind though. Just like Peace Walker.

robo

so if you can earn coins in game but the servers need to be online, does this mean they will be retrospectively added or not.

If not that could be a lot of replay required to get them.

daveo42

Banned

I wasn't aware that an FOB was associated with the campaign multiplayer, so at least getting one isn't bad, but still needing to pay approx. $24 for each one to have your soldiers run additional missions is garbage.

There has to be a hard cap somewhere if they are using territorial waters to plant these bases, though it would end up being far more than what is listed earlier.

Edit: Saw your other post. Well shit...here's to hoping Konami isn't that shitty of a company.

Mind you, I'm not 100% sure. I'm just assuming what seems sensible. Especially since they publicly denied that it was locked behind a pay wall. We'll find out for sure tomorrow. Fingers... crossed...? :(

Well that tweet seems to confirm it.

I have no clue what the benefit of multiple bases is not do I care. I am not doing fob for more mission allotments. I want to invade you!

raphier

Banned
I don't get it Ken just tweeted this yesterday. So even Kojima's guys don't know whats going on?

Gold and Platinum philosophy: Platinum points can be earned by Real Money, but Gold points are awarded by the single-player game. Maybe there's some way to exchange Gold to Platinum points...

flattie

So you are able to invade and be invaded by other players during your single player campaign; is that all these points relate to?

If so, is there anyway to disable the multiplayer component short of disconnecting the console from your router?

Bluenoser

E3 Promo price means I'm paying $48.99 for this game, and I will enjoy what $48.99 gets me. They can fuck themselves if they think I'll pay to progress faster. It's a pity people like this exist.

It's the reason I have blacklisted hundreds of RMT in FFXIV. Spamming me with their fucking websites to buy gil. All because of lazy people who play games they don't have time for.

Jolkien

This is, I'm not even sure I know a word to accurately describe how I feel. Disgusting, hopefully there'll be a way when the servers come online but obviously it'll be a trickled rate.

Miracle

Except it doesn't, Some games are affected but it doesn't seem like this doesn't affect MGSV.

How do you think Microtransactions are implemented exactly? There is a lot of thought and strategy that goes in to Microtransactions that tries to succumb the layer into digging their wallets more and more. It affects the grind, enemy encounters, enemy AI, possibly progression for either story mode or multiplayer or possibly both, it affects locked/unlocked content, etc.

Here is a good video on the subject if you still don't understand:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fHszeYz5Mi0

Well that tweet seems to confirm it.

I have no clue what the benefit of multiple bases is not do I care. I am not doing fob for more mission allotments. I want to invade you!

The more bases you have, the more soldiers you can send on missions. Dawg posted that. So basically, you have to build FOBs, which cost money to send more soldiers to missions to gather more ressources and stuff.

ironcreed

Banned
Jim says it better than i ever could... they don't implement something like this with the goal of no one buying it... especially if one variation costs more than the freaking game o_O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHszeYz5Mi0

Exactly. Think about that and let it sink in for a moment. A coin pack that is more expensive than the game itself. It's free to play design in a $60 game... period. And you can bet your sweet ass that it is balanced that way.

You can buy one FOB with ingame currency and the rest with MB Coins. They really want to test your patience apparently by making you wait for 15 weeks to get just one FOB via weekly drops, that's assuming if it'll be similar to PES's weekly drops. Many will give in and buy 'em instead.

So you are able to invade and be invaded by other players during your single player campaign; is that all these points relate to?

If so, is there anyway to disable the multiplayer component short of disconnecting the console from your router?

Don't build an FOB. That's all. Again all it does is limit the base members combat missions that you can send them out.

I don't get it Ken just tweeted this yesterday. So even Kojima's guys don't know whats going on?

Holy shit.

Ken was talking about GMP this whole time? Are you fucking with me? Either Konami pulled a fast one, or the dream is dead on earning MB coins. This is like a bad comedy skit.

The more bases you have, the more soldiers you can send on missions. Dawg posted that. So basically, you have to build FOBs, which cost money to send more soldiers to missions to gather more ressources and stuff.

I don't care about sending soldiers on those missions. I care about people having bases to invade so as long as everyone gets one, that's a lot of potential bases. Nice.

Top Bottom