• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - MB Coins pricing spotted on PSN

Holy shit.

Ken was talking about GMP this whole time? Are you fucking with me? Either Konami pulled a fast one, or the dream is dead on earning MB coins. This is like a bad comedy skit.

He's a PR guy. He'll use any trick he can to subvert any possible negative and try to spin a positive.

People asked him about MB Coins, he flips it so the talk is about GMP. I can't blame him, only doing his job really.

duckroll

You can buy one FOB with ingame currency and the rest with MB Coins. They really want to test your patience apparently by making you wait for 15 weeks to get just one FOB via weekly drops, that's assuming if it'll be similar to PES's weekly drops. Many will give in and buy 'em instead.

Yes that seems to be the business strategy here. It's probably unrelated, but at this point it's hard not to wonder if the delay for MGO proper is also an artificial delay to try and get people hooked on the multiplayer invasions in the main story first, and getting people invested in the Motherbase system without distractions, so they can milk this for all it's worth before introducing the proper multiplayer mode with even MORE microtransactions. :p

Lothars

How do you think Microtransactions are implemented exactly? There is a lot of thought and strategy that goes in to Microtransactions that tries to succumb the layer into digging their wallets more and more. It affects the grind, enemy encounters, enemy AI, possibly progression for either story mode or multiplayer or possibly both, it affects locked/unlocked content, etc.

Here is a good video on the subject if you still don't understand:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fHszeYz5Mi0
I understand and I think you are out to lunch. From the sounds of it everything is still achievable in the game and nobody needs to buy microstransactions in it.

danowat

Banned
Anyone playing the game, just how hamstrung are you in terms of research with just the mats and things you earn from missions, and from sending your two teams on missions?, rather than using extra teams from FOB's?

Complaining isn't going to change shit, not in a world where people spend hundreds on things like Simpsons Tapped Out and pretty much every other game of that kind. They will ignore us because they know there will be those people with more money than sense. It's the world we live in now. It's depressing, but that's the way it is.

duckroll

He's a PR guy. He'll use any trick he can to subvert any possible negative and try to spin a positive.

People asked him about MB Coins, he flips it so the talk is about GMP. I can't blame him, only doing his job really.

Kenichiro Imaizumi is not a "PR guy" for Konami. He's one of the lead producers at Kojima Productions (well, formally Kojima Productions) and works closely with the development team.

ZeroX03

Banned
gamescom demo on FOBs. 14min in. http://youtu.be/OGGuvRIIx8c

They mention funnelling resources and manpower to Mother Base. I think it's always been the case that FOB development affects Mother Base/single player and that was the 'acceleration' Konami referred to.

Seems you need like $20 to build a base.
No wonder Gamespot had no clue about how to do them.

So what have we learned today kids? That's right, don't pre-order.
Pretty much I learned to never buy AAA games at launch because they will be affordable before you know it.
If suckers want to buy the $200 CE's and spend $100 on DLC, then companies will continue to do it.

I wish I could say I'm surprised that people are already up in arms defending these practices, but really, isn't this just what the industry has been heading towards? Isn't this exactly what people like them have been asking these companies for?

We want $60 games with five different pre-order exclusives, two season passes, microtransactions, a red bull promotional DLC and then ten more exclusive items that come with the new CE of the third expansion! I don't see the problem, it's all just optional, they're not forcing you, they need the revenue! Entitlement! Entitlement!

If you ask me, gamers are getting exactly what they have been asking for these last ten years. But goddammit I was really looking forward to this game. They just HAD to fuck it up. Guess I'll get it during a Steam sale them, by then there's probably some kind of mod out that fixes this shit.

I genuinely hope for all the players out here that some means of earning these coins in single player is possible, or perhaps that the pricing is adjusted because Jesus Christ that's insane for a full priced game. I saw this coming from a mile away.

Occam

Konami just wants to milk this final Kojima Metal Gear as much as possible. I doubt they care about any backlash in the least. They know it's free money because suckers are going to pay.

Hanmik

so that Just Cause competition .. where you can win your own Islands worth $50,000. that is actually just some ingame money for MGS V..?

The most distasteful thing here is that playing the game, it's hard not to second guess design choices and wonder if any given bar would have filled faster or not been there at all in an alternate universe where this gross bullshit didn't exist at all. Same with FOBs, what would have been their number without that?

Curious to see how this all looks once the servers go up.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Apparently things like the number of simultaneous missions you can send your Mother Base soldiers out on (in the single player portion of the game) are locked behind "number of FOB" gateways. So if you only have one FOB, you can only send out X number of soldiers simultaneously.

I don't know how big a part of the game sending other soldiers out is, but on its face that sounds like enough adjustment of the primary game mechanics behind a paywall to prevent my day one buy.

We're still waiting on confirmation on this, right?

How does the mechanic actually work? I was under the impression that to upgrade certain things you had to get more people on you Mother base and then they start working on providing/upgrading your equipment. Does sending them out into the field speed the process up or is it an integral part of the process? I don't mind waiting a little longer to acquire certain things but if it means not being able to acquire those things until much later in the game, I'm going to have to reconsider my purchase. I DO NOT appreciate being crippled with the intention of selling me crutches.

Miracle

I understand and I think you are out to lunch. From the sounds of it everything is still achievable in the game and nobody needs to buy microstransactions in it.

Apparently you still do not. That kind of thought process is exactly the kind of consumers publishers like Konami love.

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, as long as you are willing to grind and wait. It's a design that does not respect your time, while dangling ridiculously priced fast forward buttons in front of you that are covered in chocolate. They do not put this stuff in games unless is it is designed around trying to nudge your towards buying in. It's why they are there and that is just a fact.

If you are going to complain though, instead of a hashtag campaign, those with the metal arm should pose it, flipping the bird and tweet it at Konami.

Yeah, as long as you are willing to grind and wait. It's a design that does not respect your time, while dangling ridiculously priced fast forward buttons in front of you that are covered in chocolate. They do not put this stuff in games unless is it is designed around trying to nudge your towards buying in. It's why they are there and that is just a fact.
Yeah, I don't understand implementing these practices on games I have to buy anyways.
When the game is no cost to start, I get the idea but on retail products it irks me a lot.

hwy_61

Banned
If you are going to complain though, instead of a hashtag campaign, those with the metal arm should pose it, flipping the bird and tweet it at Konami.

I mean, you're showing them that you gave them $100...it'll probably make them laugh even harder.

ironcreed

Banned
I wish I could say I'm surprised that people are already up in arms defending these practices, but really, isn't this just what the industry has been heading towards? Isn't this exactly what people like them have been asking these companies for?

We want $60 games with five different pre-order exclusives, two season passes, microtransactions, a red bull promotional DLC and then ten more exclusive items that come with the new CE of the third expansion! I don't see the problem, it's all just optional, they're not forcing you, they need the revenue! Entitlement! Entitlement!

If you ask me, gamers are getting exactly what they have been asking for these last ten years. But goddammit I was really looking forward to this game. They just HAD to fuck it up. Guess I'll get it during a Steam sale them, by then there's probably some kind of mod out that fixes this shit.

I genuinely hope for all the players out here that some means of earning these coins in single player is possible, or perhaps that the pricing is adjusted because Jesus Christ that's insane for a full priced game. I saw this coming from a mile away.

Horse armor looks so innocent and cute by comparison to the ugly monster that is now rearing it's head.

Despicable. Buy sixteen actual dollars' worth of fake money and you still can't unlock shit. Eighty dollars' worth and you can unlock most of it.

Of course they'll give you one free and some pathetic trickle of MB Coins from playing singleplayer so they can technically say that "Nothing in MGSV is locked behind a paywall, everything can be earned without spending a dime".

AndyD

aka andydumi
Apparently things like the number of simultaneous missions you can send your Mother Base soldiers out on (in the single player portion of the game) are locked behind "number of FOB" gateways. So if you only have one FOB, you can only send out X number of soldiers simultaneously.

If this is accurate, it seems entirely inspired from F2P mobile games like Clash of Clans where you can only build/harvest at X speed without spending real money. And since it has MP implications, you can't keep up and compete unless you also improve your build/harvest speed compared to competitors. Or wait a long long time.

duckroll

My mistake, definitely makes me wonder if he knew or not.

I think it would be very strange if he didn't know what people were talking about. But he also doesn't seem like a dishonest dude, since he replies to a lot of stuff on twitter in a straightforward way. The press should definitely be asking more questions about this in a direct way. I'm surprised no one pressed harder after Gamespot did the "locked behind paywall" article. Instead everyone just reprinted Konami's PR response.

Yeah, I don't understand implementing these practices on games I have to buy anyways.
When the game is no cost to start, I get the idea but on retail products it irks me a lot.

I guess, in their defense (I feel dirty) there is a hell of a lot more game here than any of those. As I don't play them though I could be wrong.

ironcreed

Banned
Despicable. Buy sixteen actual dollars' worth of fake money and you still can't unlock shit. Eighty dollars' worth and you can unlock most of it.

Of course they'll give you one free and some pathetic trickle of MB Coins from playing singleplayer so they can technically say that "Nothing in MGSV is locked behind a paywall, everything can be earned without spending a dime".

This man gets it. And all of that on top of the $60 you already paid for the game. There is no defending this.

I think it would be very strange if he didn't know what people were talking about. But he also doesn't seem like a dishonest dude, since he replies to a lot of stuff on twitter in a straightforward way. The press should definitely be asking more questions about this in a direct way. I'm surprised no one pressed harder after Gamespot did the "locked behind paywall" article. Instead everyone just reprinted Konami's PR response.

Yeah. Kens response is making me think that he probably didn't know what MB coins were, or they were added in after the fact?

It's weird if he's trying to divert attention from the MB coin stuff.

Fuck man. FucKonami. This makes me sad.

Miracle

As much as I hate the idea of acting like some conspiracy nut, I can't help but feel pessimistic about that and say that it does look very sketchy when you put it like that.

Sushigod7

I would be ok with a little cost just to justify the server/team support of the feature going forward but the costs are just ridiculous. They would have been better off doing $15 to unlock all bases at least people would complain but may do it. At this rate nothing is going to be sold.

Sami+

Unbelievable. I was SUPER excited for FOB PvP but this is way too damn much. I honestly wouldn't have minded paying an extra ten bucks or so for some real content.

I would be ok with a little cost just to justify the server/team support of the feature going forward but the costs are just ridiculous. They would have been better off doing $15 to unlock all bases at least people would complain but may do it. At this rate nothing is going to be sold.

Sadly, I think you're wrong. People will buy them.

I should point out that I'm not sure this stuff impacts MP only.

I've had the game since Thursday, and when you're sending out your Combat Unit to do missions, you can only send two at a time. When you try to do a third, the game says you need to build more FOB's to get more units. I've not seen any way to do this yet in the 30+ hours I've played thus far.

Hopefully, I'm wrong, and there's a way to get more FOB's via single player.

You can never underestimate the stupidity of some people.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I wish I could tell you! With Konami withholding as much information as possible related to their microtransaction "layers", we're kind of blind until the game is out proper and the servers are live.

Edit: Actually, maybe someone with a console version can explain what the limitations are without the servers being live since it's a few steps removed from the MB Coins themselves.

Greg Miller was talking about expanding his base and he didn't have access to the online portion of the game. He also didn't mention it feeling like a slow process so hopefully the online 'purchases' will only effect the online play and won't cripple the singleplayer development of Mother Base. I'm paying £50 for this game and expect it to be the full game.

I guess, in their defense (I feel dirty) there is a hell of a lot more game here than any of those. As I don't play them though I could be wrong.
Depends on the game. Clicker Heroes does F2P well because I never spend any $ and have gotten far in it.

If MGO didn't require MGSV to play and was free, then I would not care. However, this is not the case.

After showering it with perfect scores. I know they were not given access to this stuff, but still.
Pretty much why I think reviews should review SP and MP content separately to avoid what happened with Halo MCC.

I've had the game since Thursday, and when you're sending out your Combat Unit to do missions, you can only send two at a time. When you try to do a third, the game says you need to build more FOB's to get more units. I've not seen any way to do this yet in the 30+ hours I've played thus far.

Yeah, so basically it inpacts SP. Also, it's more than likely that timers for 4* + item updates were increased to give people the incentive to buy shorcuts.

flattie

Has this had much of an impact on your single player game?

Top Bottom