• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MIC: Overwatch players turn to Reddit to share their stories of Harrassment

duckroll

I'm curious, is Overwatch worse than most other games for abhorrent comments? I read it a lot in relation to it but wonder if is because the game attracts a larger spectrum than a standard military shooter.

Overwatch was one of the biggest games of 2016, and remains one of the biggest online games today.

Christhor

Because you can play to win and play a character you're good at? Just because it doesn't fall within "THE META" doesn't mean he's sabotaging shit on purpose. Maybe he sucks as other characters.

It's stupid. It is an absurd connotation to even make, it's insulting quite frankly.

Of course you can win while playing a character you're good at, but that depends on both your own team's character picks and the ones of the opposite team. Maybe it's just because I'm against the whole "main" mentality some people have in Overwatch, but if I'm not doing much positive for the team I'll switch heroes.

I'm not even into comp play. I play other modes because I like to have fun while playing games.

xealo

"play the way I want you to or don't play this mode at all"

That's the deal you signed up for when you choose to click on a mode labelled as competitive.

If you're not going to play to win, stay out of competitive. Quickplay exists, and it has the same hero limit from competitive to prevent absurd stacking combos.

kcxiv

Things like this is why "games" never get any respect.

cant take what people who dont know you say serious. It means little to nothing. Hell, i rage out at times and tell people to go back to quick play. Folks need to toughen up a bit.

One thing i will never do is degrade a women because she's a women like some of these people are doing. I have no problem saying, hey you are holding the team back, its ateam based game. What the point of playing a team based game if you dont want to be a part of the team. Alot of the times, i dont say it so nnice, because it gets frustrating.

Overwatch is the most fun game to play and at the same time can be the most frustrating game to play.

Basketball

Choosing to ruin the game for 5 other people because you insist on being selfish and playing a hero that isn't contributing to your teams success is toxic IMO, yes. Especially when you think you're contributing just fine because "muh gold medals". It upsets me, personally, far more than being insulted over the internet.

Doesn't mean I'd ever insult anyone over it, because I find that behavior to also be abhorrent and wouldn't partake in it.

YMMV.

Sure, fair enough. It was brought up in response to another poster who incorrectly attributed his contribution to gold medals. The sidebar has probably overstayed its welcome at this point so I'm happy to move on.
giphy.gif

stop posting dude lol

Angry Fork

1. People are being harassed online
2. Unable to adequately address the harassment issue, Nintendo cuts out communication options entirely (the Hearthstone method), creating a lower quality product for everyone
3a. The reasonable course of action would be to blame the harassers for being shitheads
3b. Your solution, of course, is to blame the harassed for taking their complaints to the people in charge, instead of accepting it "like a man"

Basically, you're for reinforcing the status quo where people get harassed and then eventually become harassers as they internalize this harassment as "normal". I shouldn't have to, nor want to, give a basic sociology lesson here but I hope you realize that this isn't how you solve social problems, never was, never will be.

All it does is sweep the nastiness under the rug where it festers and grows unchallenged, see: the current political landscape

I don't shit talk people. Accepting the reality of the internet doesn't mean you also become a troll/asshole. If you ever plan on spending an extended amount of the time on the internet, being able to ignore or fight back against random people who say mean things to you is a necessary skill. Growing thicker skin is useful for both the internet and real life.

If sexist/racist harassers who are reported aren't temporarily or permanently banned then that's an issue with the developers response time/methods. I don't know what you want to do to these people that doesn't already happen except inflict real life legal consequences. If that's the case then ok fine that's a valid opinion to have but I don't think saying random shit on the internet should get you fined or put in jail. There are exceptions of course (with children), but if you're not a child then yea that's on them to deal with as an adult.

What a horrible attitude to have.

This is exactly why this shit isn't better at all "get over it or mute them god stop being such a pansy". Jesus. I wish I was shocked there were people making excuses for this caustic nonsense but I'm really not anymore.

Harassment and constant insults and derogations are not acceptable, they are dehumanizing especially when you'd just like to play a god damn video game with some other people.

I didn't say they're pleasant things, just that this aspect of the internet exists, and I said the ways we could deal with it. Your response is "I don't like that". What?

What if we tried taking steps away from being horrible to each other altogether?

I'm 100% supportive of that. I just don't know what you guys want to be done that isn't already being done.

I don't know why you're pretending like there's some creativity or depth to shit talking you run into multiplayer games. Look through the examples in the OP, it's idiots regurgitating shit they think is edgy. There's no need to perpetuate that garbage.

If it's so stupid and juvenile why are people being offended by it?

Yes let's just dismiss the hundreds of women and minorities who say it is a huge issue hampering their enjoyment of their hobby because somehow they aren't as tough and thick skinned as the boys/men of the 1990s or something.

FOH.

What do you want to be done about it that isn't being done already? I'm fine with:

a. temp bans for sexist/racist harassment
b. muting/blocking

I'm not fine with:

a. real world legal repercussions
b. eliminating anonymity or text/mic communications in games.

Yeah that'll definitely help man.

They should just shit talk back. That will suppress misogynistic bullshit from insecure man children!

Especially when out numbered, that'll work!

I was responding to someone who said shit talking was a boys-only thing.

Gin-Shiio

Comp is a different beast. If you dont want to do what it takes to win in comp, then go back to quick play! Nothing irks me more then some guy trolling in comp. I have had to learn to play about 15 characters so i can adapt to the situation. I hate playing soldier 76, but i have to play him at times for the team. If you cant play a team based game correctly GTFO.

I play quick play as well and i dont say shit to the team comp. We could play with no healers and no tanks, and i could give no fucks. Comp like i said, its a different beast. There to win and nothing else.

Yes, but why is this even brought up in the context of this topic? The hell do some people feel compelled to talk about this here?

That's the deal you signed up for when you choose to click on a mode labelled as competitive.

If you're not going to play to win, stay out of competitive. Quickplay exists, and it has the same hero limit from competitive to prevent absurd stacking combos.
You can play to win and not follow the shreeking moans of angry assholes demanding you do as they say or they'll throw a fit.

I don't get how this is a difficult concept to grasp. This plays into the issue at hand. One shouldn't deal with people debasing them simply because they aren't doing what they want them to do in a GAME.

kcxiv

I do play to win. Typical scenario:

*in starting room*

guy w/ mic: uh junkrat can you switch to [insert whoever they think i should be]
me: no thanks
guy w/ mic: #@(%&Y@&

*match ends, we win, I got gold eliminations, damage, and objective kills and POTG*

gg

to be fair, thats an exception to the rule. 9/10 times, when people pick characters that are suspect on certain maps it goes to hell.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I dont know if I got the "good decent people" lottery or what but i have never had this problem. Anytime a girl gets on mic everyone treats her the same as anyone else. Not special, they dont even call out that shes a woman. They just treat her as a teammate. And this has happened tons of times. I have not yet heard a woman get discriminated against in game.

Is this a console thing maybe? Maybe the PC crowd are generally an older generation and know how to treat people with respect?

Lol, come on dude. Not to start a platform war here but the idea that PC players are somehow more "dignified" than console players is really laughable. Hell, arguably and most probably the most toxic online gaming community in the world, League of Legends, is a PC exclusive.

Arseholes are everywhere irrespective of their platforms of choice.

finalflame

"play the way I want you to or don't play this mode at all"

You're being intentionally dense about this. No, that's not how it works. It's after it has become apparent that the team member is not contributing that a conversation about changing team composition begins.

I haven't been in a game where people tilt over hero picks at the beginning of the match in .. forever. It's after you're 2-3 pushes in with the person in question contributing nothing that the suggestion comes out, usually politely. Queue the person who refuses to play anything but their waifu leaving all communication channels and proceeding to get murdered over and over again while not understanding core dynamics important to succeeding in this game's competitive mode.

*in starting room*

guy w/ mic: uh junkrat can you switch to [insert whoever they think i should be]

*match ends, we win, I got gold eliminations, damage, and objective kills and POTG*

gg

That's a nice fantasy, yet it rarely plays out that way. Here's how it usually goes:

Location: Spawn room of a map where Junkrat has absolutely no real area denial ability, making him a terrible situational pick.

Some player: Not sure if Junkrat is the best pick here, but let's give it a shot.

2-3 minutes and 3-4 pushes later, Junkrat is dying repeatedly to the enemy team while effectively doing nothing but charging the enemy Zarya's energy.

Some player: Hey Junkrat, would you mind trying out a different hero? I don't think this comp is working out.

Junkrat player: <radio silence>

DEFEAT.

giphy.gif

stop posting dude lol

Funny how GAF bitches and moans about online bullying, but then uses this sort of tactic to shut down discussion without any meaningful discourse. If you have an argument to make, make it, that's why this is a discussion forum.

That's a nice fantasy, yet it rarely plays out that way. Here's how it usually goes:

Location: Spawn room of a map where Junkrat has absolutely no real area denial ability, making him a terrible situational pick.

Some player: Not sure if Junkrat is the best pick here, but let's give it a shot.

2-3 minutes and 3-4 pushes later, Junkrat is dying repeatedly to the enemy team while effectively doing nothing but charging the enemy Zarya's energy.

Some player: Hey Junkrat, would you mind trying out a different hero? I don't think this comp is working out.

Junkrat player: <radio silence>

DEFEAT.

Funny how GAF bitches and moans about online bullying, but then uses this sort of tactic to shut down discussion without any meaningful discourse. If you have an argument to make, make it, that's why this is a discussion forum.

No, it usually plays out like I said. Meaningful discourse though.

EDIT: Have we proved that Overwatch is toxic yet?

Christhor

*in starting room*

gg

I've never seen this happen, I'd like to see some recordings of this, sounds hilariously dumb on their part.

TrojanAg

Played for the first time in months last week and on my second game was called a cunt a bunch of times by some psycho. I think I'm going to move on from this game for good. Just a lot of people in the community that are creating a toxic experience.

finalflame

No, it usually plays out like I said. Meaningful discourse though.

EDIT: Have we proved that Overwatch is toxic yet?

Then keep doing you dude. By all means, if you're ever on my team and killing it as Junkrat, I won't bat an eye, and I definitely won't be the guy telling you to switch in the spawn room, but rather telling everyone else we should give it a shot and switch if it's not working after a few pushes.

And no, we haven't, but if discussing the meaningfulness of hero picks qualifies as "toxic" then, by all means, label it as such and discourage those who agree from playing if you wish.

Shitload of backpedaling.

Yes, it is okay, and no it's not ruining multiplayer/the internet.

I wonder why you're arguing against legal repercussions for abusive behavior, because honestly death/rape threats would be illegal in a lot of other forums but somehow teamchat in video games is a-ok with you and not a problem at all. Nah b, those women should just grow a thick skin and go through this rite of passage like I did in the 90s, it is the children who are wrong.

kcxiv

Played for the first time in months last week and on my second game was called a cunt a bunch of times by some psycho. I think I'm going to move on from this game for good. Just a lot of people in the community that are creating a toxic experience.

The great thing is you can block people and you will never hear them again!

Deepwater

Public competitive modes are honestly really toxic. I know League wasn't the first game to do it, but it really normalized being toxic for not choosing the preordained meta in these character/class based games

Team Fortress 2 had it right (in the beginning). If you wanted to be serious you could play on those serious servers. Nobody yelling at you for picking Soldier when you should have picked Scout (for the most part).

KarmaCow

For what's it's worth, I agree that people who don't want to play with the team are ruining the experience for the other five people, making the experience toxic. Not as far as to say it's worse than the harassment that happens, but still not inconsequential.

That said, this thread about stuff like women being immediately harassed for just speaking. You're not doing yourself any favours hijacking the thread for your crusade.

finalflame

For what's it's worth, I agree that people who don't want to play with the team are ruining the experience for the other five people. Not as far as to say it's worse than the harassment that happens, but still not inconsequential.

That said, this thread about stuff like women being immediately harassed for just speaking. You're not doing yourself any favours hijacking the thread for your crusade.

To clarify:

I think any sort of sexist, racist, demeaning, or otherwise offensive behavior in online games or otherwise is abhorrent and should be punished. I said this from the get-go.

To me personally, I'd rather be insulted and/or called names than have a non-contributing team member on my team. I can mute people and move on with life, if they're contributing to the game and we win, I'm happy.

Yes, I realize other people's sensitivities are different. Just giving my $0.02.

I'll re-state that I think this is off-topic and the discussion has probably gone on for long enough, but I'll continue to engage if others do so as to not be seen as 'backing out' of the discussion.

Oh yeah, I forgot that dunkey already perfectly illustrated what Overwatch's community is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3HFEeC3_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-khGy_yN8E

You know that, save for a few matches, Dunkey is editing in footage from different matches than the one where teammates are bitching, right? Just look at the map on the close-up of the voice prompt and then the subsequent footage.

I think people who bitch in spawn before the game even begins are toxic and shitty, no reason to tilt the entire team before even trying. But people who refuse to switch when they're actually not contributing are also terrible.

GLAMr

I wonder why you're arguing against legal repercussions for abusive behavior, because honestly death/rape threats would be illegal in a lot of other forums but somehow teamchat in video games is a-ok with you and not a problem at all. Nah b, those women should just grow a thick skin and go through this rite of passage like I did in the 90s, it is the children who are wrong.

In Australia it most certainly is a crime. Here somebody can be charged with "using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence" under the Telecommunications Act 1997. It can carry a 3 year prison sentence.

duckroll

I'm 100% supportive of that. I just don't know what you guys want to be done that isn't already being done.

No, you're not. You're not 100% supportive of it. I'm not sure if you're even 1% supportive of it. Talk is cheap. What is already being done? I'll tell you what is already being done.

What is being done now is that people like Angry Fork (pro-tip: that's you) have an attitude that shit talking is the norm on the internet, and that racist, sexist, and other harassing forms of communication in online games is "fine" because there are tools available for victims to block/mute/report, and that the only other option is to "suck it up" whatever that means.

An attitude like this further normalizes such behavior and places the burden on victims to mitigate the bad experiences they have. That's a shitty attitude. The positive step is to have zero tolerance for people who are disrespectful and rude in public spaces. It's not enough to have laws and penalties. There should be social norms and expected behavior hammered into every decent person who wants to participate in society. When you hear about harassment, you don't go "lol I've been there done that, just suck it up, no big deal". It -is- a big deal. The fact that people still talk about this is evidence that it is a big deal. It means we as a gaming community on a whole have failed to make it such that when someone says something like that in a game, it is immediately condemned by everyone else on either team. That's the way it should be.

I mean honestly the fact that we as a community have had over twenty years to fix this or at least make it marginally better and have done and accomplished fuck all and in fact, probably just let things get worse, it profoundly shameful.

ISOM

I too would like to see harsh punishments for these assholes.

Not the same, but the abusive personal messages I've received in fifa is a sight to behold. From people simply calling me a 'cunt' to others wishing cancer on my children. I always report to MS, and make a note of their gamer tag.

It's a shame that when I look into some of these people weeks later I can see that their profiles are still active. I've heard that Microsoft opts for short communication bans for abusive individuals rather than out right bans.

This has been my experience on PC as well. I have been on teams with women before and there was no shit talk specifically relating to them being a woman. It's usually bad play or something like that being called out.

Deepwater

I mean honestly the fact that we as a community have had over twenty years to fix this or at least make it marginally better and have done and accomplished fuck all and in fact, probably just let things get worse, it profoundly shameful.

It won't get any better until Developers start enforcing zero tolerance bans and do it proactively at that.

People won't be better until they know there are consequences otherwise

Strakt

you cant fix something thats broken.. people have problems past the video game that they take out online on other people... no single person who has respect for themselves should take anything said online remotely seriously.. instead of going deeper into the problem, just press the mute button/report and move on with your life. if the person actually gets offended / hurt by the others comments, they should not be playing an online game or on the internet in the first place. while i do not approve of toxic behavior, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do besides blizzard (in this case).

Angry Fork

I didn't backpedal I repeated what I said previously. I don't think people should be fined or put in jail for what they say online because online isn't real life as long as anonymity is maintained. It becomes different with shit like twitter/facebook where real world repercussions for shit like that are justifiable.

I'm fine with everything else for maintaining ethical behavior in games though (temp bans/perm bans continued harassment and muting/blocking features). The logistics of this is always going to leave something to be desired though as long as there isn't a high enough number of employees to deal with reports + reporting systems which are automated and allow some to bypass it.

No, you're not. You're not 100% supportive of it. I'm not sure if you're even 1% supportive of it. Talk is cheap. What is already being done? I'll tell you what is already being done.

What is being done now is that people like Angry Fork (pro-tip: that's you) have an attitude that shit talking is the norm on the internet, and that racist, sexist, and other harassing forms of communication in online games is "fine" because there are tools available for victims to block/mute/report, and that the only other option is to "suck it up" whatever that means.

An attitude like this further normalizes such behavior and places the burden on victims to mitigate the bad experiences they have. That's a shitty attitude. The positive step is to have zero tolerance for people who are disrespectful and rude in public spaces. It's not enough to have laws and penalties. There should be social norms and expected behavior hammered into every decent person who wants to participate in society. When you hear about harassment, you don't go "lol I've been there done that, just suck it up, no big deal". It -is- a big deal. The fact that people still talk about this is evidence that it is a big deal. It means we as a gaming community on a whole have failed to make it such that when someone says something like that in a game, it is immediately condemned by everyone else on either team. That's the way it should be.

My "100% support" of people being nicer is in real life, where it would be most effective. People being shitty online is an extension of failures in their real life. People who talk shit online either also do it in real life or at the very least think the same in real life as well (but might not do it because of legal repercussions, which I support in real life). I don't consider online gaming to be the same as real life though, just like I don't think killing people in games makes me want to kill people in real life.

If you want to separate general shit talk (ie "you suck at this game, you're a fucking idiot" etc.) from personal shit talk (ie "women should be in the kitchen", racist insults, etc.) that's fine and punishments should be dealt for personal shit talk (reporting systems and temp/permanent bans). I don't think there should be any punishments for general shit talk though.

If you think someone saying personal shit talk online (or general as well) should be visited by their local police, then like I said earlier that's ok that's a valid opinion to have, I just disagree and think that's Orwellian.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It won't get any better until Developers start enforcing zero tolerance bans and do it proactively at that.

People won't be better until they know there are consequences otherwise

And how do you propose on doing this "zero tolerance bans"?

What would happen if someone is salty over you beating him or her and then he or she reported you and you got banned because of that zero tolerance ban? If you contest it, how would the developer know which one of you is actually telling the truth? The only "fair" thing to do in that situation is maybe banning you both but you won't be happy with that, will you?

Short of actually doing live recording the actual voice chat that the players are doing or have someone from the developer side actively listening to the voicechat, which is a massive undertaking not only in terms of data storage but also privacy, or banning voice chat entirely like what Nintendo is doing with Splatoon, you just can't realistically implement something that can magically erase online trolls harassing people. .

Terrell

In a world where voice recognition in consumer devices is a thing, the simple solution seems to be that when a person is reported, in-game chat is recorded for a set period of time, sends it through voice recognition, and sends flagged transcripts to mods who can then proceed to issue bans as necessary.

There's a simple technology solution for publishers who can't be assed to police voice chat manually, and even that barest of minimums like that can't be achieved.

And that leads me to believe that publishers don't want to implement such systems because of how it would reduce their player base (read: cost them money), so they'd rather let it occur, the people who are marginalized out of playing the game be damned.

I didn't backpedal I repeated what I said previously. I don't think people should be fined or put in jail for what they say online because online isn't real life as long as anonymity is maintained. It becomes different with shit like twitter/facebook where real world repercussions for shit like that are justifiable.

The moment you say something to another person, it has the capability of "real world repercussions". The venue that you say it on does not matter in the slightest, so I am not sure why you're making video game chat into an island apart.

you cant fix something thats broken.. people have problems past the video game that they take out online on other people... no single person who has respect for themselves should take anything said online remotely seriously.. instead of going deeper into the problem, just press the mute button/report and move on with your life. if the person actually gets offended / hurt by the others comments, they should not be playing an online game or on the internet in the first place. while i do not approve of toxic behavior, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do besides blizzard (in this case).

Imagine for a second that this is not a video game, but a restaurant, public park or other shared public space, and that we'd let things get to bad that a girl or black person walking in and trying to have a good time was met with relentless verbal abuse and threats. Would your response still be "just ignore it and move on with your life, if they can't deal with it they shouldn't be going to that park/eating at that restaurant/shopping outside in the first place?"

If not, why does it happening in a digital space get such a pass from you?

Strakt

Imagine for a second that this is not a video game, but a restaurant, public park or other shared public space, and that we'd let things get to bad that a girl or black person walking in and trying to have a good time was met with relentless verbal abuse and threats. Would your response still be "just ignore it and move on with your life, if they can't deal with it they shouldn't be going to that park/eating at that restaurant/shopping outside in the first place?"

If not, why does it happening in a digital space get such a pass from you?

Because in this scenario, you can't do anything. What are you gonna do? Use your energy to stress yourself out over something you can't control or even physically see? Why would ANYONE waste energy digging deeper into the problem when they can spend it on something positive and something that matters? Like I said, theres only one option here.. whether you agree or not. .and that option is to click the mute button and report.

HeatBoost

The thing with this is, how do you even tell how effective it's being? I've reported a handful of random jerks but then... how can you tell if they're banned, or if you just don't run into them via matchmaking again?

I guess it's easy to tell on Blizzard's end, but as a consumer, even if they are banning every dickhead they detect, it simply seems as if there is a bottomless well of them

Deepwater

And how do you propose on doing this "zero tolerance bans"?

What would happen if someone is salty over you beating him or her and then he or she reported you and you got banned because of that zero tolerance ban? If you contest it, how would the developer know which one of you is actually telling the truth? The only "fair" thing to do in that situation is maybe banning you both but you won't be happy with that, will you?

Short of actually doing live recording the actual voice chat that the players are doing or have someone from the developer side actively listening to the voicechat, which is a massive undertaking not only in terms of data storage but also privacy, or banning voice chat entirely like what Nintendo is doing with Splatoon, you just can't realistically implement something that can magically erase online trolls harassing people. .

I don't get paid for that, champ

MKIL65

I'm gonna take a wild shot in the dark and assume that Angry Fork, finalflame, and kcxiv are all straight white males.

These competitive players typically have a superiority complex.

Other people's feelings be damned, as long as they have a high Skill Rating.

So yeah, I assume many of them are white and straight.

The thing with this is, how do you even tell how effective it's being? I've reported a handful of random jerks but then... how can you tell if they're banned, or if you just don't run into them via matchmaking again?

I guess it's easy to tell on Blizzard's end, but as a consumer, even if they are banning every dickhead they detect, it simply seems as if there is a bottomless well of them

Bans don't stop people if they really wanna play a game. And if people are willing to pony up the cash to buy another account, why would Blizzard stop that gravy train?

Strakt

These competitive players typically have a superiority complex.

Other people's feelings be damned, as long as they have a high Skill Rating.

So yeah, I assume many of them are white and straight.

While I'm not white, your post is pretty stupid. That is all.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In a world where voice recognition in consumer devices is a thing, the simple solution seems to be that when a person is reported, in-game chat is recorded for a set period of time, sends it through voice recognition, and sends flagged transcripts to mods who can then proceed to issue bans as necessary.

There's a simple technology solution for publishers who can't be assed to police voice chat manually, and even that barest of minimums like that can't be achieved.

How exactly? If A says "Fuck you, you suck you bitch!" to B and then B reported it to the developer, only after that then the "voice recognition technology" is activated to record A and A only every time he logs on to the game? So, after the harassment is being made?

And what would happen if B said A is lying? The same system should then be also activated to record A every time she logs in and use voice chat? What about if there's actually another person using the same console but they use A or B account? Should the developer require them to give consent as well before start recording? And how do you actually propose such a "simple voice recognition technology" be implemented in a scale of millions of players like Overwatch?

I don't get paid for that, champ

So you are mad because you expect the developer to do something impossible that you also don't know how to implement in a realistic scenario.

Okay then, "champ."

Top Bottom