• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michigan Presidential Primary results thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link1110

camineet said:
damn, I really do NOT like McCain's arrogance in his speech.

All of his "my friends", "my friends", "my friends", and "I will be commander in chief".

ugh.

I didn't like him in the past, I like him even less now.

I hope McCain loses in SC to either Fred or Mike, or even Romney.
"My friends... You bow before nobody. You salute me."

Can someone explain why Michigan dems don't get to vote in the primary? (or get to vote but they don't count). I'm really confused by that.

Cheebs

worldrunover said:
Can someone explain why Michigan dems don't get to vote in the primary? (or get to vote but they don't count). I'm really confused by that.
only 4 states were approved to go before feb 5th. MI ignored that.

mosaic

go eat paint
worldrunover said:
The state lawmakers moved up the primary. The national parties didn't like that, so they sanctioned our state. Dems docked us ALL our delegates, so the primary doesn't count. Repubs docked us HALF... so those votes kinda count.

That's the gist.

Also, some dem candidates took their names off the ballot in protest. I wanted to drop a vote for B-Rock, but I couldn't... so I voted on the Republican ballot instead. Yeah, here, you don't register for a party, so you can vote for the ones you wish (if they're on the ballot).

Mich. GOP congratulates wrong candidate 36 minutes ago
LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan Republican Party mistakenly sent out a news release Tuesday night congratulating John McCain for winning the state's GOP primary.

It quickly issued a second statement praising Mitt Romney for his win.

"Heading into tonight, this race was too close to call, so we prepared a release for either scenario," state GOP spokesman Bill Nowling said. "We simply pushed the wrong button."

The Associated Press named Romney the GOP winner when polls closed in Michigan's western Upper Peninsula at 9 p.m. EST.

The first GOP release went out just minutes later and stated, "In a close-fought victory, Senator John McCain succeeded again (in) the Michigan Republican primary, winning over a traditionally unpredictable voter base in Michigan."

Five minutes after that, the party sent a release that said, "In a close-fought victory, native son Governor Mitt Romney won an important contest here tonight."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080116/ap_po/primary_wrong_release

I am not good with computer. How did this get here? :lol

I think it's pretty awesome that Democratic voters actually went and chose the "Uncommitted" option instead of just skipping out on voting because they didn't support Hillary. It definitely sends a message, and I think it's great. To see people going out to send a message and show that they care when they weren't even able to choose their candidate...Pretty awesome.

Juice

Almost everyone I know in Michigan is socially conservative / Republican, and everyone I talked to today voted for McCain.

Anecdotal evidence supporting the success of the newsletters telling dems to vote for Romney to inject chaos into the Republican race?

painey

can someone clarify just so i can understand.. obama is not on the ballot because he wasnt happy that the vote was today? Thats it? He wasnt happy about the day of the vote?

Tamanon

Banned
painey said:
can someone clarify just so i can understand.. obama is not on the ballot because he wasnt happy that the vote was today? Thats it? He wasnt happy about the day of the vote?

He wasn't happy that the votes weren't going to count(also, if they don't count, then why campaign):p

Cheebs

Juice said:
Almost everyone I know in Michigan is socially conservative / Republican, and everyone I talked to today voted for McCain.

Anecdotal evidence supporting the success of the newsletters telling dems to vote for Romney to inject chaos into the Republican race?
McCain won the Dem/Indie vote in MI still by a wide margin so no. Romney won via the republican base.

Cheebs

Romney wont extend his lead in SC after tonight I think. SC is about Huckabee and McCain this saturday. Whoever wins that goes into Feb 5th the front runner. I pray huckabee wins. I don't want Obama or Hillary going up against McCain in a general.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tamanon said:
He wasn't happy that the votes weren't going to count(also, if they don't count, then why campaign):p

No. Obama, Richardson, Edwards and Biden were not happy about Michigan bumping up their primary date. So they asked to be removed from the ballet. The only reason Dodd and Hillary did not follow was that they felt it was useless step since the delegates weren't being counted anyways.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
this is the oddest republican race i've ever seen. romney has the most delegates, but has absolutely zero momentum anywhere. else. in. the. country. mccain's ornery 'maverick' persona plays well in the north, while huckabee will decimate the non-believers in the bible belt.

at least we can all agree now that giuliani's national strategy was a spectacular failure, and an indicator of the man's incredibly, stupidly high risk tolerance. as a new yorker i am most pleased.

Tamanon

Banned
scorcho said:
this is the oddest republican race i've ever seen. romney has the most delegates, but has absolutely zero momentum anywhere. else. in. the. country. mccain's ornery 'maverick' persona plays well in the north, while huckabee will decimate the non-believers in the bible belt.

at least we can all agree now that giuliani's national strategy was a spectacular failure, and an indicator of the man's incredibly, stupidly high risk tolerance. as a new yorker i am most pleased.

It will definitely be a failure if he loses Florida, and that's looking more and more likely.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Cheebs said:
Romney wont extend his lead in SC after tonight I think. SC is about Huckabee and McCain this saturday. Whoever wins that goes into Feb 5th the front runner. I pray huckabee wins. I don't want Obama or Hillary going up against McCain in a general.

Smart man. McCain would take a huge number of Independants.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
scorcho said:

I'm continuously amazed by Giuliani's complete inability to effectively pander. It's not for lack of trying.

Anyway, LET'S GO BROKERED CONVENTION!

scorcho said:

That party is so divided it doesn't have a clue who it wants. Each little faction is trying to take over. It's like Jericho.

scorcho

Mandark said:
I'm continuously amazed by Giuliani's complete inability to effectively pander. It's not for lack of trying.
i still remember when giuliani first tried flipping on abortion early last year. after romney called him out on it, rudy defiantly affirmed his liberal social record while smugly maintaining his national lead in polls. pundits bleated like sheep that he was changing decades of republican politics and identity and that we were in the dawn of the new era.

i giggle thinking back to that.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
I think the shoddy state of the GOP primary field is a function of how spectacularly the Bush presidency has failed.

If Bush were still polling well and the Republicans had Congress, there'd be a healthy field of credible, if not inspiring candidates, and enough party discipline to get behind an early front-runner.

But the state of the party and its association with Bush has basically knocked out George Allen, Rick Santorum, Bill Frist, and Jeb Bush out of the picture. The GOP suddenly needs to find someone who isn't associated with the Bush admin, but who still favors its policies (which are the policies favored by a majority of Republican voters).

Maybe 1968 for the Democrats is the best parallel. Unpopular president not running, chaos in the primaries, etc.

Deku

Banned
39% voted uncommitted in the democratic primary. I thought I read somewhere there was a 15% threshold to cross for uncommitted voters and it had something to do with the delegates. Can anyone clarify?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Tamanon said:
DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN!
:lol i'm so happy that I post on a message board where someone would make this joke.

Anyways, the craziest statistic is that exit polling shows that 70% of black voters in Michigan tonight cast their ballots as "uncommitted" instead of for Hillary. So a significant amount of blacks made it out to deliberately vote AGAINST Hillary. I wonder if South Carolina will vote like that.

grandjedi6

Deku said:
39% voted uncommitted in the democratic primary. I thought I read somewhere there was a 15% threshold to cross for uncommitted voters and it had something to do with the delegates. Can anyone clarify?

After the 15% threshold the state would also send "uncommitted" delegates to the Democratic Convention in August, instead of delegates specifically for Obama or Hillary. However since Michigan gets 0 delegates, this doens't really matter

scorcho

Mandark - you really think that 2008 is going to be comparable to the realignment that took place in 1968? that election signaled 20+ years of conservative ideological dominance in this country.

Mandark said:
I think the shoddy state of the GOP primary field is a function of how spectacularly the Bush presidency has failed.

If Bush were still polling well and the Republicans had Congress, there'd be a healthy field of credible, if not inspiring candidates, and enough party discipline to get behind an early front-runner.

But the state of the party and its association with Bush has basically knocked out George Allen, Rick Santorum, Bill Frist, and Jeb Bush out of the picture. The GOP suddenly needs to find someone who isn't associated with the Bush admin, but who still favors its policies (which are the policies favored by a majority of Republican voters).
No, they need new policies. Bush had a GOP congress and GOP senate for much of the time and pretty much got most policies that he and the GOP wanted passed.

And the results are in . . . the Bush/GOP policies failed spectacularly. Failure in economics, failure in foreign policy, failure in defense, etc. Yes, there is hardcore base that continues to push for the same policies . . . but most people realize that continuing to oo the same thing will yield the same results.

ABCbushway.GIF

http://pollingreport.com/

Deku

Banned
scorcho said:
Mandark - you really think that 2008 is going to be comparable to the realignment that took place in 1968? that election signaled 20+ years of conservative ideological dominance in this country.

RFK and MLKJ getting assassinated didn't hurt either!

grandjedi6 said:
After the 15% threshold the state would also send "uncommitted" delegates to the Democratic Convention in August, instead of delegates specifically for Obama or Hillary. However since Michigan gets 0 delegates, this doens't really matter

Ah ty. The BBC story I read made a mention of this and noted somehow helping Obama and Edwards play a role in the convention. But that makes no sense if they're not getting any delegates to begin with.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
scorcho: Just the best parallel of those available; I think each election is its own beast.

But I do think the demographic tide is against the GOP. As the country gets older, browner, and less freaked out by gay people, it's going to get harder and harder to put together a coalition based on privatization, nativism, and homophobia.

I don't think the GOP's going to get mired in irrelevance like the Tories have in the UK, or like the Liberal (not liberal) Party in Australia seems to have just done. But that's the general direction they're headed in.

People have taken some shots at Hacker and Pierson for writing a book about Republican dominance right before the Democrats came storming back, but I think they were pretty much right in their analysis. It's just their plan for getting power relied on having power. They needed control of Congress to get control of K Street and they needed the top-down money structure to keep backbenchers in line and they needed control of state legislatures to gerrymander in their favor. Break their hold, and it all falls apart. My crude sports metaphor for this is a football team built around ball control and defense, unable to rally from a deficit.

Trivia! When Kevin Phillips was pushing the Emerging Republican Majority back in the late 60's/early 70's, he said the demographic shifts would tilt the country towards the GOP through 2006. True story.

grandjedi6

Deku said:
Ah ty. The BBC story I read made a mention of this and noted somehow helping Obama and Edwards play a role in the convention. But that makes no sense if they're not getting any delegates to begin with.

Well the DNC might give their delegates back at the convention

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
speculawyer: I meant in terms of winning the primary. The big dilemma is that the criteria for winning the primary (loyalty to movement conservatism as embodied by Bush) conflicts with the criteria for winning the general (showing that you're not Bush).

painey

so people are voting.. but the votes dont count.. therefore it is totally pointless, and done only because we live in a democratic state?

Mandark said:
speculawyer: I meant in terms of winning the primary. The big dilemma is that the criteria for winning the primary (loyalty to movement conservatism as embodied by Bush) conflicts with the criteria for winning the general (showing that you're not Bush).

Yep. It seems a lot of moderates have left the party such that you need to take real hardcore positions to get applause lines The Republican debates have become freak shows to some degree with the audiences booing, jeering, screaming, etc. Double Guatanamo!

It is sort of a negative feed-back loop . . . you lose moderates, so you need to act more extreme to win over the remaining hardcore, which causes you to lose more moderates, etc.

By the time the election rolls around, any Dem candidate will easily be able to make negative ads by putting together a set of hardcore extremist quotes from the debates.

I hope Romney wins the GOP nomination. He's clearly the weakest of all the major candidates. Him and Guiliani. They'd go down so hard against Obama. Hillary is weaker than Obama though so if it's Hillary vs. Guiliani or Romney then it's a battle of the Washington hacks and hopefully they'll all lose.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Something interesting that I saw while looking at county by county tallies, McCain won the majority of counties, I believe, but Romney absolutely slaughtered McCain where it mattered; the cities. He won every big county in Michigan.

Looking at the demographics and exit poll survey results was pretty fascinating, as well.

Wes

venison crêpe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/justinwebb/2008/01/working_the_crowd.html

I stood next to Governor Romney for a moment or two on the stage (a sign in itself of how small-scale and low budget the Republican effort is at the moment, compared with the big presidential-style hoopla surrounding Hillary and Barack) and witnessed the kind of incident that makes you wonder whether this man has what it takes to make voters like him. A girl (she might have been 14) was calling out: "Mr Governor, I had lunch with your cousin."

President Bush would have squeezed her hand and brushed her off - any decent campaigner would have - but Mitt Romney simply froze her out, did not answer, until she persisted to the extent that he had to say: "Great." Or words to that effect.

It sounded grudging and odd; and it did not need to. Of course, that doesn't mean he would be a bad president or that he is a bad man - but on a "rope line" he sucks, as they say here.

I found that story funny for some reason.

jey_16

Banned
speculawyer said:

seems like it....there was an article in Time with a quote from a GOP insider about them being extremely happy with Clinton winning in NH, they would defiantly prefer to go up against her rather than Obama

although personally, i dont think any of the current GOP candidates could take down Hillary either....all off them have major weaknesses that could bring them down easily when the main campaign starts

NWO

speculawyer said:

December 20th isn't that recent.

That last thing I heard about this on TV was that John Edwards was the ONLY Dem to beat all the Republican candidates.

http://www.pollingreport.com/wh08gen.htm

This has Clinton vs Huckabee, Clinton vs McCain, Obama vs. Huckabee, and Obama vs. McCain polls from a few days ago.

Clinton and Obama easily beat Huckabee but they both lose to McCain which is why I don't get people around here are wanting McCain to win. He's the only guy I see beating Clinton or Obama.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
grandjedi6 said:
No. Obama, Richardson, Edwards and Biden were not happy about Michigan bumping up their primary date. So they asked to be removed from the ballet. The only reason Dodd and Hillary did not follow was that they felt it was useless step since the delegates weren't being counted anyways.

it wasnt so much that they werent happy, but the democratic party wasnt happy. obama, richardson, edwards and biden asked to be removed from the ticket in support of their party's decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom