• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft (Aaron Greenberg) confirms they're in talks with Sony about crossplay

Osukaa

Why would Sony ever agree to this? It's dumb to do so.

Friend wants to play with other friends on Minecraft. He has a choice. Get a PS4.

Open up crossplay and what does Sony gain? That same person buys an XBox instead of a PS4?

Sony isn't in the business of making XBox gamers happy. That's Microsofts job.

Why anyone thinks Sony should be in the business of helping XBox One get sales rather than a PS4 for online play with friends is beyond me.

Well said. I agree although it's the unpopular opinion here.

Shiggy

After lots of speculation about it being the Xbox live membership that is holding Sony back.. I'm now convinced it's more about the publishing rights to the game that is at stake here..
Look at who the publisher is
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/minecraft-ps4/
Would you as a company give away your publishing rights for the biggest game in the world, on the the console with the biggest installbase?

The publisher has already changed to Mojang AB. Check the PlayStation Store pages lol
It's just the retail editions that are still published/distributed by Sony and Nintendo on PS4 and Switch as Microsoft is not a publisher on those systems.

1. Prove it. That's some pretty strong conjecture based on no evidence for this whatsoever.

2. There's plenty of public pressure to do this have you not been paying attention?

3. You start somewhere and go from there. There's no perfect solution but that hasn't stopped other companies from jumping on board. Sony's being defensive when they don't need to be.

Point 1 isn't strong conjecture at all. And the 'plenty of public pressure' is a very debatable point.

Tumle

Yup. It's an update, not a new SKU.
Ok but that's not the feeling I have gotten from the discussions on the subject from other threads..
When asked why they couldn't just update the graphics and make severed to costumers on PlayStation until they got Sony to work with them. The answer was always that it was a complete overhaul of the engine and could be considered a new game.. I can't find the exact quotes it's more of the interpretation that I got from older threads on the subject.. but it could be me interpreting them wrong.. :)
The publisher has already changed to Mojang AB. Check the PlayStation Store pages lol
It's just the retail editions that are still published/distributed by Sony and Nintendo on PS4 and Switch as Microsoft is not a publisher on those systems.
Ok so they forgot to update there webpages.. my bad..
Then I'm still confused about sonys decision:p

Synth

He's proved to be full of shit multiple times. I just don't take anything that comes out of his mouth seriously. He's all PR all the time.

I'm not saying that some (a lot) of what he comes out with isn't some bullshit (not quite on Reggie's level yet however)... but I mean... his official job is HEAD OF XBOX GAMES MARKETING. Yes he's gonna be PR all the time. It's literally his job.

The point I was making though (and admittedly is more a response to the post you agreed with, rather than yours directly) is that's it's a bit stupid to start blaming someone of trying to grab free PR, when they're being directly ask "are you in talks with Sony about crossplay"... it's not like he phoned them up and was like "guess what, I have some crossplay shit I need to get off my chest".

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
8XTLIVE.png

Good (but short) war. Let's have another some time. :)

Boom!

Chew on my cucumber sandwich.

Good on Microsoft for initiating the discussion. I hope I'll be able to do crossplay with Xbox live friends on my PS4 this generation.

Synth

Ok but that's not the feeling I have gotten from the discussions on the subject from other threads..
When asked why they couldn't just update the graphics and make severed to costumers on PlayStation until they got Sony to work with them. The answer was always that it was a complete overhaul of the engine and could be considered a new game.. I can't find the exact quotes it's more of the interpretation that I got from older threads on the subject.. but it could be me interpreting them wrong.. :)

Ok so they forgot to update there webpages.. my bad..
Then I'm still confused about sonys decision:p

Sidestepping how both of us apparently had no idea that the publisher had already changed, lol...

It is a huge update, and the Better Together versions of Minecraft will be developer by Mojang directly, whereas those that aren't will continue to be worked on by 4J Studios. It isn't something that would affect publishing or create a new Minecraft however.

jelly

Friend wants to play with other friends on Minecraft. He has a choice. Get a PS4.

Open up crossplay and what does Sony gain? That same person buys an XBox instead of a PS4?

Why anyone thinks Sony should be in the business of helping XBox One get sales rather than a PS4 for online play with friends is beyond me.

Why would that happen? The person may still get a PS4 because you know, it has loads of great games, his friends play on it whereas the Xbox doesn't have as many games or his friends on it.

Sony may lose out if a person starts comparing other aspects of the PS4 and Xbox One which goes both ways but again Sony still has the games and player base which is why many choose Playstation so they have nothing to worry about unless they can't be bothered competing with other platforms.

Point 1 isn't strong conjecture at all. And the 'plenty of public pressure' is a very debatable point.

You're right, point 1 is weak conjecture. Again, prove that's the scenario that would happen.

As for public pressure I'm gonna assume you have been in a cave the past 3 months and haven't heard all the public outcry and attention over this. Otherwise not sure if you're being intentionally ignorant or just argumentative.

Budi

"one community, to unite gamers". This is beautiful, I wish we'd live in a world like this sometime in the future.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think this will eventually happen, but it will take something like CoD or Destiny or GTA insisting on it.

Synth

I think this will eventually happen, but it will take something like CoD or Destiny or GTA insisting on it.

And unfortunately it'll probably take a much closer race than this gen before any of them feel they have the bargaining power to actually put the threat across.

Tumle

Sidestepping how both of us apparently had no idea that the publisher had already changed, lol...

It is a huge update, and the Better Together versions of Minecraft will be developer by Mojang directly, whereas those that aren't will continue to be worked on by 4J Studios. It isn't something that would affect publishing or create a new Minecraft however.
Ok gotcha :) just trying to find reason when there don't seem to be any:)

Why would that happen? The person may still get a PS4 because you know, it has loads of great games, his friends play on it whereas the Xbox doesn't have as many games or his friends on it.

Sony may lose out if a person starts comparing other aspects of the PS4 and Xbox One which goes both ways but again Sony still has the games and player base which is why many choose Playstation so they have nothing to worry about unless they can't be bothered competing with other platforms.

Yes anything could happen, but in this scenario that person doesn't have to buy a PS4 to play with their PS4 owning friends.

Now they've been given the option of buying something else instead, which doesn't help Sony one bit.

As of today that person would need to buy a PS4, and from my experience consoles are usually sold based on what everyone's friend has. You lose that once you open up Crossplay.

MS isn't pushing this because they care about the gamers. They want this because they want Minecraft to grow as much as possible as they paid $2.5B for it.

Why is MS so obsessed with Sony joining this cross play lol

Microsoft owns Minecraft and wants it to be connected everywhere at all times.

It's in their best interest to bring the market leader on board.

For Sony, as the market leader, it isn't in their best interest to give in. PS4 players aren't having some mystery issue causing them to not find another 5 people to fill a Minecraft game.

There also lots of money tied up here too, but we don't have specifics, just speculation.

I predict Sony changes this stance going into next gen as it won't provide any apparent cons from the onset as opposed to today where they are leading the industry.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Microsoft owns Minecraft and wants it to be connected everywhere at all times.

It's in their best interest to bring the market leader on board.

For Sony, as the market leader, it isn't in their best interest to give in. PS4 players aren't having some mystery issue causing them to not find another 5 people to fill a Minecraft game.

There also lots of money tied up here too, but we don't have specifics, just speculation.

I predict Sony changes this stance going into next gen as it won't provide any apparent cons from the onset as opposed to today where they are leading the industry.

Actually it is in Sony's best interest since they will get the most up to date version of the most popular game in the world. The ps4 is hardly the biggest population of Minecraft players BTW. Ps4 gamers would get all the benefits. This would not cause Sony to lose a single ps4 sale period. If someone want to play Minecraft with ps4 friend that friend plays on mobile and Sony loses out on game sale and DLC sales.

jelly

Yes anything could happen, but in this scenario that person doesn't have to buy a PS4 to play with their PS4 owning friends.

Now they've been given the option of buying something else instead, which doesn't help Sony one bit.

As of today that person would need to buy a PS4, and from my experience consoles are usually sold based on what everyone's friend has. You lose that once you open up Crossplay.

MS isn't pushing this because they care about the gamers. They want this because they want Minecraft to grow as much as possible as they paid $2.5B for it.

It's possible but Sony fear it for the wrong reasons. When you open up to cross play the magnifying glass can be put on other features, that's what Sony fears but if they don't want to put the work in to make those features moot, then they only have themselves to blame if Xbox does something better. Sony has nothing to fear if they still have the games and features that challenge Xbox. If a consumer buys an Xbox over Playstation, then Sony didn't offer something they wanted,

quest

Not Banned from OT
It's possible but Sony fear it for the wrong reasons. When you open up to cross play the magnifying glass can be put on other features, that's what Sony fears but if they don't want to put the work in to make those features moot, then they only have themselves to blame if Xbox does something better. Sony has nothing to fear if they still have the games and features that challenge Xbox. If a consumer buys an Xbox over Playstation, then Sony didn't offer something they wanted,

That is what always makes me laugh so hard in these threads. That the only thing Sony has going for them is user base and friends own it. That if cross play was a thing all a sudden millions would buy Xboxes lol. Real cross play with friends is years away and well Sony got the games. This irrational fear of lost sales is funny.

That goes into different areas than I was arguing.

Mine is entirely based on the common console generation logic where consoles purchases are based on what their friends have.

I am highly convinced this is the reason as Sony had no issue attempting crossplay last gen when they weren't the leader, as it had the potential to benefit them.

Why is MS so obsessed with Sony joining this cross play lol

You would assume they would get some money out of it with the extra boost in players buying dlc. Maybe?

Ultimately this is a wasted effort business wise from both sides imo.

Both companies gain nothing of monetary value by doing this.

Some you guys are posting like Sony shareholders more than gamers.

This is a fantastic proposition for everyone who plays MP games.

Especially those that could use a broader MM pool.

You're right, point 1 is weak conjecture. Again, prove that's the scenario that would happen.

As for public pressure I'm gonna assume you have been in a cave the past 3 months and haven't heard all the public outcry and attention over this. Otherwise not sure if you're being intentionally ignorant or just argumentative.
Many hypothetical scenarios have been presented, if you don’t believe they could happen that’s fine.

I have been in these threads and I’m aware it’s a big deal on some forums, but it still hasn’t translated to any real world ramifications.

Synth

good will

I actually think MS' change of stance regarding crossplay has less to do with their market position (they've never really been dominant, and especially not in regards to Steam in the PC realm), and more a result of them now owning Minecraft. Basically them actually having a game of their own on multiple platforms has given them a point of view in line with other studios and publishers that want crossplay for the same reasons.

That is what always makes me laugh so hard in these threads. That the only thing Sony has going for them is user base and friends own it. That if cross play was a thing all a sudden millions would buy Xboxes lol. Real cross play with friends is years away and well Sony got the games. This irrational fear of lost sales is funny.

Last gen, no matter how much they lowered the price or released a stream of exclusives the PS3 just couldn't overcome XBox in the US.

Why was that?

It's because XBox amassed a huge lead early on and most people's friends had XBox, so naturally I order to play with those friends they would need an Xbox.

Now, make all games crossplay and that barrier to increase your market share goes away.

Why do so many people act like arm chair analysts and not gamers in these threads? Why do you care about what what platform holder this is good for and who makes more money? We know why Sony doesn't need to doo it without having it being brought up Everytime as if it's some kind of justification.

Crossplay is a good thing for gamers and with the ability to lock yourself in to only your platform which is an option in the games that already have it there is no downside. I'm a PC gamer so I don't have a horse in the Xbox vs PlayStation in fact crossplay play actually negatively affect PC because we have to wait for console certification before we get our patches. It's worth it though.

These threads are frustrating to go through. Some of you care more about a companies bottom line than the actual experience of gamers and the great things crossplay can do for gaming in general.

Many hypothetical scenarios have been presented, if you don’t believe they could happen that’s fine.

I have been in these threads and I’m aware it’s a big deal on some forums, but it still hasn’t translated to any real world ramifications.

Many of those hypothetical situations have been based on personal beliefs not actual business sense. Sorry I'm not going to agree with you on this one. It's cool though we can agree to disagree

As for it being a big deal it definitely extends beyond these forums. It's a bigger deal than many here are willing to admit. I'm not saying casual Johnny that plays rocket league or Minecraft every now and then knows but that's not important. People it is important to talk and they influence and Sony would be wise to not paint themselves into a corner where they're viewed as the platform you can't play with all your friends on. At some point it's better to swallow your pride and do what's right for not only your existing customers but potential future customers. Again as a consumer you want this to happen.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Last gen, no matter how much they lowered the price or released a stream of exclusives the PS3 just couldn't overcome XBox in the US.

Why was that?

It's because XBox amassed a huge lead early on and most people's friends had XBox, so naturally I order to play with those friends they would need an Xbox.

Now, make all games crossplay and that barrier to increase your market share goes away.

It was not a huge early lead. People bought in to the Xbox 1.5 talk. It was not until gears and 599.99 did the 360 take off. Sony easily overcame that small lead in mainland Europe.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Until you hear someone from Sony saying they're seriously trying to make it happen, it seems to me that you can pretty safely assume that it's not happening. It's in Microsoft's best interests right now to make you think that it can happen.

People don't realize that Minecraft crossplay cannot be implemented without signing into a microsoft account. It would be a technical nightmare or impossible.
The only alternative would be to implement a completely new account system. And as all of Microsoft's account services are tied to the centralized Microsoft Account system, it would have to be the only Microsoft-run account system to not be tied in.

So yeah, exactly. Expecting them not to use MS accounts would be completely absurd, as the literal entire point of the update (from the user-facing side anyway) is the shared accounts, and why the hell would one expect MS to create a new account system divorced from everything else they've built?

Of course, none of this matters since it was NEVER about the use of MS accounts. See: the other 3rd party games MS has nothing to do with that Sony is blocking crossplay in.

Or, perhaps, at some point, Sony has an interest in making the best products for their customers. Cross play makes your product better.

NeoGaf is full of vitriol when a corporation does something they don't like to consumers, until that corporation is their fanboy favorite videogame company, and then "it's just smart business, what do you expect?"

It was not a huge early lead. People bought in to the Xbox 1.5 talk. It was not until gears and 599.99 did the 360 take off. Sony easily overcame that small lead in mainland Europe.

We can debate all day on the how and why the lead grew as much as it did early on, but it's similar to what happened here. One launched reasonably priced while the other was asking people to pay a $500 entry cost. Multiple factors caused one to shoot past the other in the US.

Point is that even with all the goodwill and moves Sony made they still lost the US by some 20M units.

EU is a different scenario. Those two markets are not apples to apples. US is very fickle and can change leaders generation to generation and gamers don't seem to align specifically to one company.

EU seems very Sony from the 10 or so years that I've been following the market. I could try to get into why but that's for another thread.

Many of those hypothetical situations have been based on personal beliefs not actual business sense. Sorry I'm not going to agree with you on this one. It's cool though we can agree to disagree

As for it being a big deal it definitely extends beyond these forums. It's a bigger deal than many here are willing to admit. I'm not saying casual Johnny that plays rocket league or Minecraft every now and then knows but that's not important. People it is important to talk and they influence and Sony would be wise to not paint themselves into a corner where they're viewed as the platform you can't play with all your friends on. At some point it's better to swallow your pride and do what's right for not only your existing customers but potential future customers. Again as a consumer you want this to happen.

Yeah there's no proof either way, but it's an easy conjecture for me to believe since that's a part of why I bought a 360 last gen.

I pretty much don't care either way, because I'm not convinced it will change my daily gaming habits in any way since everyone I know has a PS4, but I fully acknowledge it's only a good thing for us, as many other things would.
Why do so many people act like arm chair analysts and not gamers in these threads? Why do you care about what what platform holder this is good for and who makes more money? We know why Sony doesn't need to doo it without having it being brought up Everytime as if it's some kind of justification.

Crossplay is a good thing for gamers and with the ability to lock yourself in to only your platform which is an option in the games that already have it there is no downside. I'm a PC gamer so I don't have a horse in the Xbox vs PlayStation in fact crossplay play actually negatively affect PC because we have to wait for console certification before we get our patches. It's worth it though.

These threads are frustrating to go through. Some of you care more about a companies bottom line than the actual experience of gamers and the great things crossplay can do for gaming in general.
Almost every point in these threads have been discussed before because nothing is changing about the situation, makes no sense that one repetitive point shouldn't be posted along with the others.

Top Bottom