• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft aims for 40% market share in Germany

sphinx

the piano man
I join the choir of german sceptics in this thread.

I do my rounds in my local saturns, media markts and gamestops in Bremen and it really doesn't look like MS is going to have a chance at surpassing PS4 with the X1. it has everything going against it.

in general terms and from what I see, Germany sees nintendo (mainly Mario) as the stuff for children and PS for teenagers and older guys. kind of like Japan but not that extreme.

MS is there just bugging sony trying to take market share and not exactly suceeding at it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Germany called the xbox one a "twisted nightmare." Just think about that for a minute...

God luck Microsoft
Fucking despicable quote-mining bullshit.

You can't just take two words that were actually used, put some quotation marks around it while completely distorting and misrepresenting what was said.

2MF

So bullshit numbers then. You know you're not supposed to cite them, even if you don't name or link that site.

Media Control has:
Wii: 4.6M (42%)
PS3: 3.9M (36%)
Xbox 360: 2.4M (22%)

Looking at that, I find it unlikely the Xbone will have 40%. It would mean PS4 would outsell Xbone by 1.5 to 1 at best, which would be a worse result for Sony than this gen (that is, PS3 outsold 360 by 1.63 to 1).

Yeah, not gonna happen.

Eusis

Their goal is to eat Nintendo's market share, not Sony's. I'd say that's a more realistic target.
Seems probable too given how the Wii U arrival was lame. Just a matter of beating Sony to the punch (or that Microsoft/Nintendo owners don't get Wii Us and thus technically raise the market share the way it seems to normally be measured.)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems possible, considering the Wii U is dead everywhere, maybe something 5% Wii U, 30-35% X1, 60-65% ps4?

Btw was GTA V banned in Germany? Hilarious if not
Its not like consoles are the only ways to spend their money to get you game fix nowadays. No way the Xbox One with have such high share, they didnt get it last gen even with all the mayor screw ups Sony delivered. The Wii audience will be on mobile/tablets and maybe get a cheap current-gen system in the following years. The hardcore gamers are on PC and if they own a console they are more likely to get a PS4.

Wouldn't be surprised to see PS3 and PS4 dominate the console market here for the next years. Xbox One isnt the console that can change this outcome.
Das wird nicht passieren ;)

Hehe du sagst es.

Isn't it cheaper to buy a PS4 with FIFA?

Touche%20-%20The%20Adventures%20of%20the%205th%20Musketeer_1.jpg

Hindle

Banned
I had an idea they'd be placing huge emphasis on Germany this gen. It's a huge market, and it will be interesting to see how they go about pulling this off.

I'm expecting huge deals with the Bundesliga for one.

Sakujou

Banned
Viel Spaß bei dem Vorhaben.

Germany will stay in Sonys hand, if they like it or not.

Tolle Einstellung....

360 would have earned the success so much more:

better adaptions of multigames, xbox live and the price of the games as well as the entry price of the system was always lower. still ppl would rather buy the ps3.

really sad.

and with the ps4 and x1 it wont be easier...

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If Amazon.de's bestseller lists over the last months are any indication, than I don't see that happening by far.

Good luck with that, I know no one that's planning to get one here in Germany even those that had 360s are switching over which was a very small percentage to begin with. Also having DR3 not releasing here isn't helping.

moai

Funny how people posted that germany is sonyland but when actual numbers are posted you can see that in reality is nintendoland.
The more you know, i thought it was france that was dominates by nintendo.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Funny how people posted that germany is sonyland but when actual numbers are posted you can see that in reality is nintendoland.

Wii was an exception. Sony/PS pretty much owns mainland europe.

Superfrog

No. The 360 launched 15 months earlier, 200€ cheaper and still got trashed by the PS3 in the end. I probably don´t need to say what that means for the Xbox One.

This.

Chances are that PS4 will absolutely destroy XO in Germany. The only reason 360 hardware sold decently was the fact that it easily runs pirated games. Software sales have been much more in favor of PS3, with a platform split of up to 70/30.

XO releases basically simultaneously with PS4 this time, is €100 more expensive and continues to suffer from MS's bad reputation and bad marketing in Germany. Also, the TV thing doesn't work around here because there are hardly any external cable boxes (only DVB-S, -C and -T; with receivers mostly being built-in to the TVs). XO will be almost dead in arrival, it'll be very hard for MS to even hold 20% market share.

I'm still getting one on day 1, I've always liked supporting the underdog platform. ^^

Taker34

Banned
40%? Looking at the Amazon top 20 bestseller list, there's only the Xbone day one edition in it... just because it comes with FIFA. I mean if the blue controller is selling more units than Xbone titles like DR3 or Forza then you know something is wrong. Especially days before the actual launch.

Shiggy

Things are looking differently these days. The Wii U is selling like shit.

kartu

Banned
Why would Wii U users buy Xbone over PS4? What a lunacy...

Tolle Einstellung....

360 would have earned the success so much more:

better adaptions of multigames, xbox live and...
Either subscribe or don't play online, (now and for a while price was close) more expensive, abandoned console, when Sony still keeps releasing first parties.

Now Microsoft "invented" asking for subscription when you start browser or youtube app. Nobody cares. Sad indeed...

Superfrog

No. Only overreacting internet public.

No, the data protection thing has always been a widespread issue in public, especially since all the Stasi monitoring in former Eastern Germany. Just look at all the masked/blurred buildings on Google Streetview - this is only possible in Germany. Other countries just don't bother.

KORNdoggy

The problem with aiming high like this is it often results in disappointment. Why would they think they would achieve almost double the market share they currently have with the 360?

Can someone explain to me just HOW was Sony able to keep Europe on lockdown despite the plethora of problems with the PS3 early on?

Did Europe just not like the 360?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Just take a look at Amazon.de videogame bestsellers:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/videogames

I doubt it.

Can someone explain to me just HOW was Sony able to keep Europe on lockdown despite the plethora of problems with the PS3 early on?

Paying for online really hurt, many of our popular online services weren't well supported (and every country has their own), so it never really justified that expense.

AOC83

Banned

The PSX was the first really successful console in Europe and the brand stands synonymous for gaming since that time.

Shiggy

-Strong reputation of PlayStation brand
-MS keeping services/online behind a paywall
-Sony had a more diverse lineup

Sakujou

Banned

most people bought the ps3 for using it as a blu-ray player.

also in germany mouth to mouth is pretty a thing even nowadays.

a friend's father even told us: "sony makes good products, as a teenager i enjoyed the walkman so much. playstation 1 was fine, so my son should have a playstation 2 and not a windows 95 game station."

360 was such a good system until 2011 but it got early outsold by sony. dont know why.

360 was several times sold in the 250gb version for less than 200dollars but it didnt help to boost the sales for a long time.

tobibreit

Neo Member
This is Playstation country over here. MS fucked up badly. Nobody cares about their TV integration and a ton of features won't even work here. You can still preorder a ONE on amazon.de right now and get it next week. For a PS4 you had to preorder before August 3rd.

Superfrog

There are several reasons:

- Microsoft has a bad reputation as a company.
- Xbox has always been very US-centric, which oftentimes does not connect to or even alienate Europeans.
- "PlayStation" has become synonymous with console gaming in general. "Nintendo" is now largely a kids' thing thanks to (3)DS.
- Sony's marketing in Europe is much better than Microsoft's (just mentioning that PlayStation has been an exclusive major sponsor of UEFA Champions League for more than 10 years now).

xHunter

PunchFu

Neo Member
Also, the TV thing doesn't work around here because there are hardly any external cable boxes (only DVB-S, -C and -T; with receivers mostly being built-in to the TVs). XO will be almost dead in arrival, it'll be very hard for MS to even hold 20% market share.

I'm still getting one on day 1, I've always liked supporting the underdog platform. ^^

I have build in Sat Tuner too and it should just work, because the One can just switch channels of your TV. In the image gallery with the TV Setup it looks like the data for TV Guide will be pulled from MS servers anyway.
Cant wait for this.
http://imgur.com/a/AtQh8

EDIT: Just noticed that we cant get the Xbox UI on screen then ^^, looks like I have to get an external receiver :)

No, the data protection thing has always been a widespread issue in public, especially since all the Stasi monitoring in former Eastern Germany. Just look at all the masked/blurred buildings on Google Streetview - this is only possible in Germany. Other countries just don't bother.

Lol, the surveillance crap gets pushed for 2 days in the news till the next crap gets pushed. Seriously NSA was checkin whole internet traffic of germany and no one cared, but when our "pretty" Angela noticed that her mobile was monitored she got angry :)

Hypron

There are several reasons:

- Microsoft has a bad reputation as a company.
- Xbox has always been very US-centric, which oftentimes does not connect to or even alienate Europeans.
- "PlayStation" has become synonymous with console gaming in general. "Nintendo" is now largely a kids' thing thanks to (3)DS.
- Sony's marketing in Europe is much better than Microsoft's (just mentioning that PlayStation has been an exclusive major sponsor of UEFA Champions League for more than 10 years now).

That plus the European XBL was just a joke this generation. It was more expensive than in the US and Europeans didn't even have access to most things on there.

Top Bottom