• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 Trademark And Rumor Round-Up [Up8: Xbox Live Diamond, Kinect Disneyland]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tron 2.0

There are games and genres that are perfect for motion controls.

There are games and genres that do not benefit from motion controls.

I wish they'd stop conflating the two.

RooMHM

JaseC said:
Valve have never done platform-exclusive DLC before, why would they start now? Not to mention they've already announced the upcoming DLC for all three platforms (PS360 and PC).

What was Portal : Lost levels then? /: (what the... it was original + portal flash map pack? And you can dl it on PC ... god damn).

Hey You said:
Bungie is done.

I wish.

The Wise Old Man said:
E3 is a magical and wondrous time for us all. The bounty of epilepsy bestows its gifts upon us like the double ended hydra of ultimate nullification. This year we once again twitch, spasm, and click our way towards corporate consumerist electronic gamorrah. The check has cleared, the hellhound has been loosed and this is the bright digital future that we have won for ourselves. The dog shall bray under the southern cross and we shall once again know that anything is possible. Hands together around our white glowing boomerangs we are the masters of our own fate. You, friend, wield the poop sock and I will take to arms with the garden hose. Phantom points will shower down all around us and we will be at once drawn in and expelled out of the world. Muted browns and greys give way to bright vibrant colors and then back to browns and greys the year after next. All energy flows according to the whims of the great meme. May we be forever eager and forever dissatisfied this year at E3.

Perfect. This year of disapointment shall be the worst.

Tron 2.0 said:
There are casual games and genres that are perfect for motion controls.

Yep.

Tron 2.0 said:
There are games and genres that are perfect for motion controls.

There are games and genres that do not benefit from motion controls.

I wish they'd stop conflating the two.

I don't think it's a genre-wide distinction, it should be decided on a game-by-game basis. That said, Kinect can be used for many things other than motion control.

ShogunX

overcast said:
Last years press conference was enough for me. I'm not a big fan of motion control, and the games that I have seen so far do not impress me. We'll see what they show at E3, but I will continue to want to play games with a controller far more than full body motion sensing.

Sounds more to me like you don't have a lot if any experience with Kinect yet and instead are waiting to be wowed before you can think of owning one. More untested and unsure than tired.

overcast

Shogun PaiN said:
Sounds more to me like you don't have a lot if any experience with Kinect yet and instead are waiting to be wowed before you can think of owning one. More untested and unsure than tired.
Meh I've had a bit of experience. I won't lie and say I've played the hell out of it. But the tired part comes from the fact that I feel the potential isn't great enough for 2 E3 conferences to be completely devoted to it. Microsoft should focus more on games then this technology. But I realize this thing is selling like hot cakes.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
We've seen it already a year ago, it shouldn't be that surprising.

Wow. I've never seen that thread before. The amount of Kinect hate is surprising to say the least. It's amazing how many people were wrong about Kinect and it's eventual success.

FrankT

Search the Classification Database
BUILD A BUDDY Computer Games (Multi Platform)

ClassificationGConsumer AdviceCaution: User-generated content may change game playCategoryComputer GamesVersionORIGINALDurationVariableDate of Classification05/26/2011AuthorNOT SHOWNPublisherMICROSOFT PTY LTDProduction Company Country of OriginUSAApplicantMICROSOFT PTY LTDFile NumberT11/1977Classification Number247335

http://www.classification.gov.au/ww...e8d611c1c166ad29ca25789c005db15e?OpenDocument

Guess is as good as mine.

siyrobbo said:
i saw a job listing for a community manager position for a new site playxbla

not seen it mentioned before

also saw a mentioning of xblox live cloud in this job listing

The set of services making up the Xbox Live cloud is optimized around social, casual and hardcore gaming, and modern entertainment experiences. We're fun. We're social. We're interactive. And, we’re growing!

Nice catch.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
geoffkeighley Geoff Keighley
Yes, Star Wars for Kinect will officially be unveiled live during the Xbox 360 E3 briefing on Spike. Tune in on June 6 for more.

Angry Fork said:
Wow @ how much Kinect stuff is in there. I knew it would be a lot of the conference but it seems like it'll be at least 75% of it. That really sucks.

Yup its a real shame too, so many new studios that could have been better used.

You know making real games.

Barkley's Justice said:
michael pachter says he suspects there will be something big. SO THERE WILL BE SOMETHING BIG.

He was pretty clear that it would be Kinect related on the Giant Bombcast. So expect some big Kinect stuff.

Barkley's Justice said:
michael pachter says he suspects there will be something big. SO THERE WILL BE SOMETHING BIG.
I think he was hinting at big announcements regarding services not exclusive games but I could be completely wrong.

pirata

Wow, Microsoft has really jumped on the waggle bandwagon, just as Nintendo is jumping off. I really wasn't expecting much from this conference anyway, so I'm not really disappointed. The XBLA stuff could be cool. Hopefully they'll actually spend a little time covering it.

Does anyone else find it weird that it's Microsoft that's leaking like a wicker bucket this year and not Sony? It's a refreshing change of pace.

Rlan

Also this, which everyone else seems to have skipped over. Not Microsoft, but Team 17 have always been Microsoft first this generation.

Worms Readying For Ultimate Mayhem

wormsmayhem.jpg

The Australian Classification Board has rated a game called Worms: Ultimate Mayhem. with no specific console noted, but Team 17 are completely focused on digital distribution now, and have released all their games on Xbox Live Arcade first.

What could it be? How could they change things up this time around? Well here's a little bit of speculation: Worms 2: Armageddon nicked the Armageddon name from their previous 1999 classic. Incidentily, Mayhem was the tag line for Worms 4, which was their 3D iteration. This would mark the first foray into 3D Worms on a HD console, which would mean for some awesome deformation technology.

I actually had a ton of fun with Worms 3D back in the day, and I'd be up for playing some more on XBLA. Pure speculation, of course.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/05/worms_readying_for_ultimate_ma.php

upJTboogie said:
Well, I at least hope it's brief, and not on rails this time.

I don't think being on rails is such a huge issue if the gameplay is fun. Just look at all the love Sin & Punishment 2 has been getting or the positive reactions to yesterday's news about House of the Dead Overkill arriving on PS3. It would be hypocritical to criticize certain Kinect games just because they're on rails.

That said, I hope they've made some significant progress with this one because what they've shown last year didn't look all that great.

Y2Kev said:
WOW I hope we get more hilarious faked gifs

There's nothing hilarious about stage presentations being staged as long as the games work as intended under normal conditions.

Rlan said:
This would mark the first foray into 3D Worms on a HD console, which would mean for some awesome deformation technology.

I always found 3D Worms iterations borderline unplayable.

Kafel

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
If much of E3 is about Kinect, then YES. I think it is going to be like that.

Yeah, I can see GAF being dumb and downplay every Kinect announcements even if some are really cool. Just because of Kinect.

S1kkZ said:
didnt they start from scratch (i heard its no longer a shooter)?

It was a strategy game at first then with the success of Bioshock it became a shooter.

French

Banned
Kagari said:
geoffkeighley Geoff Keighley
Yes, Star Wars for Kinect will officially be unveiled live during the Xbox 360 E3 briefing on Spike. Tune in on June 6 for more.

So exciting !

Wonder if they will manage to have a conference more terrible than last year.

Xbox Live Cloud makes sense, when you consider one of the Windows Phone Mango rumors/leaks.

games_11.png

We have no idea what the 'Automatic Sync' does. They didn't show it at the Mango event, so I guess we'll see it at the conference.

TheOddOne

IMO the cloud thing has been known for months. Just go to the MGS job listings site and see it pop up on multiple openings.

szaromir

Banned
Zeal said:
If Halo goes Kinect in any fucking way, there will be blood.
Halo went in a bad RTS and a shittacular anime ways, nothing worse can happen at this point (other than destroying the core FPS series).

szaromir

Banned
GANGSTERKILLER said:
I see to much Kinect! This is SHIT for the hardcore gamer! I want Killer Instinct 3 from Rare. Nintendo will own E3 2011...
Nintendo owned last year's E3, then the 3DS launch came and no one wants the thing. It's totally meaningless.

TheOddOne

szaromir said:
Nintendo owned last year's E3, then the 3DS launch came and no one wants the thing. It's totally meaningless.
Might as well be, but damn did that show rock. The games did no sell well, but atleast there where some gems in there.

Fjordson

S1kkZ said:
didnt they start from scratch (i heard its no longer a shooter)?
I think it's the other way around, like Kafel said. Though I could be wrong on that. I'm just hoping for anything new. The reveal video/thing they had a while back looked neat.

szaromir

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Might as well be, but damn did that show rock. The games did no sell well, but atleast there where some gems in there.
Yes, the show was entertaining, especially the video with 3DS, Reggie, Shiggie and Iwata.

Rlan

Also my thoughts on this weird shit with the Microsoft stuff:

It has been an amazing week in terms of classification leaks, particularly for Microsoft products, but a lot of them don't seem to be for games, but instead applications.

Kinect Me and Kinect Googly Eyes were shown earlier this week, but now Build a Buddy and Bobble Head have all been rated in the past week, all kinds of strange names, none which seem like they could be retail games, or even Xbox Live Arcade titles. There has been talk of a Kinect Fun Lab, but having multiple ratings like this means each of these are a separate downloadable pieces, and not a single "Lab" app.

Applications like Build A Buddy sounds like you could very well make new Avatar-like characters outside of your own, perhaps like the Wii's Mii characters so you can play as a variety of characters without the need to re-skin yourself each time. It would also make players pay for even more Avatar gear.

Bobble Head and Googly Eyes on the other hand I just can't fathom. They just sound like Avatar gear, and even as applications I can't think of how they could change the Avatar experience. What could it all mean? This next week up to E3 is starting to get pretty weird.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/05/what_the_heck_are_microsoft_up.php

Nab

Interesting list. I don't have a Kinect yet so I guess I'm still to be won over, and I do hope there's some other stuff on top of all this list. I think there will be, this stuff just gets out more because of the patents and new trademarks involved, plus I figure most of this could feature in a montage and not take up any conference time at all so there should be room for "hardcore".

If Crimson Alliance is a Crimson Skies sequel that could be pretty awesome, and a good head to head with Starhawk.

Also... We wheel it out every year so why not this year too:

JET SET RADIO FUTURE SEQUEL, C'MON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom