• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 Trademark And Rumor Round-Up [Up8: Xbox Live Diamond, Kinect Disneyland]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just chatting to Pachter on Twitter, he's up at Microsoft next week for an embargoed E3 preview. I asked him if he anticipated any megatons, and this was his reply:

MSFT has been SOOO quiet, think they have something big; insisted that I fly up for a preview, they usually don't waste my time

Shurs

Gary Whitta said:
I was just chatting to Pachter on Twitter, he's up at Microsoft next week for an embargoed E3 preview. I asked him if he anticipated any megatons, and this was his reply:

I think he said on this week's Bombcast that he assumed it was Kinect related.

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah in the latest Bombcast he mentioned that Microsoft was going to have some "Hardcore" Kinect titles at E3.

Microsoft's conference is going to be pretty interesting this year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Shurs said:
I think he said on this week's Bombcast that he assumed it was Kinect related.

Yep, something along the lines of them saying "Kudo will be there as well"

I heard a rumor last week from a pretty decent source that there could be some kind of quasi-nextgen 360 model that would uprez all existing and future titles to 1080p at 60fps. Not a true nextgen Xbox, just a more powerful 360. Sounds kinda strange to me.

derFeef

Gary Whitta said:
I heard a rumor last week from a pretty decent source that there could be some kind of quasi-nextgen 360 model that would uprez all existing and future titles to 1080p at 60fps. Not a true nextgen Xbox, just a more powerful 360. Sounds kinda strange to me.
That is indeed strange. Not sure if I want something like that.

Shurs

Gary Whitta said:

360 already upscales to 1080p, I think.

V_Ben

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
That sounds super weird. Interested to see if that turns out to be true.

Edit: I think by uprez, he means that the new one will rerender existing titles at 1080p...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
No way. Pre-existing games are written for a closed system spec. It would take a new rerelease/up-port to get Alan Wake or Halo 3 running at 1080p60.

Maybe for future games written specifically for the hardware, but it seems like a really dangerous move. Chances are a lot of games would wind up extremely gimped on the 360 they've sold 50 million of. They'd also be doing away with one of the greatest things about console gaming, the single-spec target.

Gary Whitta said:

That would be really strange. I bet a lot of people would be pissed after they upgraded to a 360S in the last year.

Krev said:
No way. Pre-existing games are written for a closed system spec. It would take a new rerelease/up-port to get Alan Wake or Halo 3 running at 1080p60.

Maybe for future games written specifically for the hardware, but it seems like a really dangerous move. Chances are a lot of games would wind up extremely gimped on the 360 they've sold 50 million of. They'd also be doing away with one of the greatest things about console gaming, the single-spec target.

If emulators have been doing it for decades I don't see how a new console with new software wouldn't be able to.

Yeah I don't put a lot of faith in it myself, it's too bizarre. Still it was something I heard so happy to contribute to the rumor circus :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I can't find the post, is there more information on Build a Buddy aside from the link in the OP? It sounds very interesting.

Shurs

Gary Whitta said:
I know of at least one major 360 franchise that is going Kinect for its next iteration but I can't say what it is. DUN DUN DUN.

Did you sign an NDA?

If not, spill them beans, Whitta.

while we are posting bat shit crazy ideas there was that rumor a few years ago that MS was looking at Licencing out xbox to other companies the same way they are handling windows phone 7. so they would have set hardware required to run games and stuff but then companies can add a few extra thing on to it if they want so Samsung could make a xbox, LG could make a xbox and so on.

Seems crazy but you never know.

snap0212 said:
Kinect Sports? :p
MEGATON

funkystudent said:
while we are posting bat shit crazy ideas there was that rumor a few years ago that MS was looking at Licencing out xbox to other companies the same way they are handling windows phone 7. so they would have set hardware required to run games and stuff but then companies can add a few extra thing on to it if they want so Samsung could make a xbox, LG could make a xbox and so on.
3DO 2 LOL

Shurs

funkystudent said:

The 3DO model?

It doesn't seem that crazy.

Gary Whitta said:
I know of at least one major 360 franchise that is going Kinect for its next iteration but I can't say what it is. DUN DUN DUN.
Gears of War?

Also, that Xbox LIVE Cloud service could be interesting. I wonder what exactly could it be.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Metalmurphy said:
If emulators have been doing it for decades I don't see how a new console with new software wouldn't be able to.
I don't know. It seems like so many things could go wrong.
And I think the spec would need to be HUGELY better than what's in 360 to get all games running at 1080p60.

M.D

Gary Whitta said:

"Better with Kinect" or Kinect only?

I have a feeling it either Gears of War (Exile) or Alan Wake

Gary Whitta said:
All of them?

I expect ALL first party Microsoft titles will have some kinect stuff in them just like Sony got all there first parties to shoe horn Move in there titles. I expect Gears 3 and the Halo CE remake will have Kinect stuff announced for them at e3.

I am really hoping for some exciting Kinect-based stuff because after all the initial hype and Dance Central the thing has done nothing but gather dust on top of my TV. It's going to become the new Wii if MSFT doesn't come up with some really great stuff for it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
funkystudent said:

That's my dream for the Single Console Future.
A standard agreed upon by the game consortium (think Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc) is used until the need for a replacement arises. Any manufacturer willing to pay the license fee can produce a game player that can play any game.
Basically, it would mirror the way home video standards work (VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc).

funkystudent said:
I expect ALL first party Microsoft titles will have some kinect stuff in them just like Sony got all there first parties to shoe horn Move in there titles. I expect Gears 3 and the Halo CE remake will have Kinect stuff announced for them at e3.
I very strongly believe neither will have Kinect.
Gary Whitta said:
I am really hoping for some exciting Kinect-based stuff because after all the initial hype and Dance Central the thing has done nothing but gather dust on top of my TV. It's going to become the new Wii if MSFT doesn't come up with some really great stuff for it.
Not interested in Child of Eden?

Gary Whitta said:

I wouldn't put it past them. Kind of like a Game Boy color model, enhanced visuals/stealth new system launch.
They'd probably want that kept under wraps until it's ready, so maybe nothing at E3 unless it's called Fusion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Gary Whitta said:

If you're going to tease, then share what it is... otherwise, don't tease!

clav

Chanser said:
Cloud support included in gold subs? They better not charge extra for it.
MS most likely won't. Steve Ballmer's been pushing the cloud philosophy for a while now, and they've yet to charge cloud services for the regular users.

Shurs

Gary Whitta said:
What would be the benefit?

For Microsoft?

Licensing fees.

Potential to grow the Xbox brand.

What if their only requirements were that the hardware it was in would have to be able to use Xbox Live?

It's unlikely, but you could potentially see someone make that XBLA-only machine that people say they want.

Personally, I'd love to see someone take a crack at an XBLA-only handheld that you could also plug into your TV and play with an Xbox controller.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Graphics Horse said:
I wouldn't put it past them. Kind of like a Game Boy color model, enhanced visuals/stealth new system launch.
I'm warming to the idea.

A hell of a lot of people would pick one up, and it would be cheaper than a full new system roll-out. They could keep 360 trucking for quite a while longer and help erase the losses that the Xbox division has racked up.

It would certainly play into Nintendo's hands though, wouldn't it?

snap0212

SapientWolf said:
Xbox 360 in your HDTV.
Will never happen. Or if it does, it will be horrible for the consumer, so I hope it never happens. TV manufacturers have no interest in updating anything they offer. This means that they'll just ship what Microsoft tells them to ship but it'll never be updated (take a look at how the 360 has evolved via system updates). Forget about software updates if you have your 360 inside of your TV. The manufacturers will only give you the new system update if you purchase their new TV.

EBGames said:
Explore and investigate.
Navigate through Viktor's castle with free movement control, uncover the secrets held within and delve deeper into his the mind of a madman.

So Rise of Nightmares might not be on rails after all? Or maybe there are just places where you can choose which path to take next, but I wouldn't call that "free movement control".

Gary Whitta said:

Well, let's save people from speculation - it's safe to assume that they all are, eventually.

Hey You said:
I have a feeling that Microsoft is going to be adding two Gold Subscription levels :S
XBOX LIVE PLATINUM confirmed

Here's something I could actually get behind - shift Gold down to Silver so everyone gets all the current Gold-level service for free, and then a new level of Gold that would offer the cloud stuff and whatever additional benefits for a fee. All existing Gold members get automatically upgraded. So the new system would be more in line with the current PSN proposition.

Will never happen though, MS makes way too much money from Gold the way it's already set up.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Megadragon15 said:
Wouldn't it be a nightmare if it RROD/RDOD/E74 in a tv?
Well, in a few years there will be phones with more horsepower than the 360. If that isn't the case already. Shouldn't be that hard to shrink the parts down and use a more reliable manufacturing process.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
miladesn said:
http://www.abload.de/img/1792190-146775e47mo.jpg

this is new info and boxart I think, sorry if old.

[url]http://www.ebgames.com/xbox-360/games/rise-of-nightmares/91195[/url][/QUOTE]

Which SEGA team/studio is behind this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom