• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 Trademark And Rumor Round-Up [Up8: Xbox Live Diamond, Kinect Disneyland]

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockload

Gary Whitta said:
I was just chatting to Pachter on Twitter, he's up at Microsoft next week for an embargoed E3 preview. I asked him if he anticipated any megatons, and this was his reply:
He said the same on the giant bombcast a few days ago, basically they said he needed to be there in person

Atomski

Gary Whitta said:
I know of at least one major 360 franchise that is going Kinect for its next iteration but I can't say what it is. DUN DUN DUN.
I'd bet Fable. They started on Kinect features in Fable3 but dropped it. Peter will probably push for it to be a major part of the next one.

Gary Whitta said:
I heard a rumor last week from a pretty decent source that there could be some kind of quasi-nextgen 360 model that would uprez all existing and future titles to 1080p at 60fps. Not a true nextgen Xbox, just a more powerful 360. Sounds kinda strange to me.
There was a similar rumour that came out back in 2008 or so about a forwards-compatible Xbox games that would run better on the next-generation hardware.

Here is an article about it: http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/10/1...softs-next-console-to-be-forwards-compatible/

Oct 2008 said:
Backwards compatibility, schmackwards compatibility. If we’re to believe this hot little number, Microsoft may well be working on future compatibility.

It would work like this: the next generation Xbox, which current projections and speculation put somewhere in a 2010-2012 launch window, would be able to play and improve Xbox 360 games. This goes beyond higher resolutions and better texture quality, mind you. We’re talking about previously unthinkable improvements: improved draw distances, entirely new control schemes that take advantage the new controller, DLC that takes advantage of the new hardware, etc. Big ideas.

Now, the caveats. While Microsoft is said to be “testing the waters” for these enhancements, there’s still the chance, and it’s a big chance, that all of this (^) is a load of bunk; Microsoft could be all, “Yeah, none of that is ever gonna happen, sorry.” So there’s that.

Plus, we’re at least two years away from the beginning of that launch window (and four years from the end of the window). Don’t get worked up over such a rumor so far ahead of its possible release.

[Nintex]

lockload said:
He said the same on the giant bombcast a few days ago, basically they said he needed to be there in person
They're going to steal his brain :eek:

And that Super Xbox rumor has been going on for a while. I kinda like the idea but I don't think it'll fly.

Gravijah said:
still no viva pinatas? :(
Seems perfect for a Kinect version. Good chance we'll see that? I don't know how viable that franchise is, didn't both titles so far underperform?

I wish someone would wave a magic wand and turn RARE back into ULTIMATE PLAY THE GAME. I want new 360 version of JET PAC, ATIC ATAC, SABRE WULF, KNIGHT LORE and ALIEN 8.

szaromir

Banned
Yeah not going to happen. Games are hardcoded to run at specific resolution and framerate, either all of them would have to get software updates (impossible) or the rumor is bollocks.

clav

infinityBCRT said:
There was a similar rumour that came out back in 2008 or so about a forwards-compatible Xbox games that would run better on the next-generation hardware.

Here is an article about it: http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/10/1...softs-next-console-to-be-forwards-compatible/
I highly doubt the announcement would be about the next Xbox.

But if the announcement is really that big as assumed from Garry Whitta's statements, perhaps there is a slight chance.

szaromir said:
Yeah not going to happen. Games are hardcoded to run at specific resolution and framerate, either all of them would have to get software updates (impossible) or the rumor is bollocks.

Framerate eh.

Upscaling is not out of the question though. Remember what the Xbox 360 emulator and early PS3s did?

Gravijah

Gary Whitta said:
Seems perfect for a Kinect version. Good chance we'll see that? I don't know how viable that franchise is, didn't both titles so far underperform?

I wish someone would wave a magic wand and turn RARE back into ULTIMATE PLAY THE GAME. I want new 360 version of JET PAC, ATIC ATAC, SABRE WULF, KNIGHT LORE and ALIEN 8.

They did OK, from what I understand. Wish we lived in a world where small/mid titles thrived.

Gary Whitta said:

The first one sold more than a million. Up until Kinect Sports, it was the most successful Rare game since they were bought by Microsoft.

Gary Whitta said:

They did release JetPac Refuelled. That said, I would love to see more 80s (and 90s) home computer games on XBLA.

Shurs

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
The first one sold more than a million. Up until Kinect Sports, it was the most successful Rare game since they were bought by Microsoft.

Does this include pack-in copies?

Gary Whitta said:
I heard a rumor last week from a pretty decent source that there could be some kind of quasi-nextgen 360 model that would uprez all existing and future titles to 1080p at 60fps. Not a true nextgen Xbox, just a more powerful 360. Sounds kinda strange to me.

Weren't there talks about the exact same thing last year year or two years ago? Seems like it has been a concept thats been thrown around for some time, which could make it legit.

(Xbox 3D will be this)

Edit: Beaten, didn't read the thread properly.

claviertekky said:
Upscaling is not out of the question though. Remember what the Xbox 360 emulator and early PS3s did?

Wasn't every compatible Xbox game custom patched to work with a completely incompatible GPU? I can't imagine it would be anywhere near as mad as that was. I don't know if the 360 specs include any foresight to take advantage of something like this though, but it could make it a lot easier.

szaromir said:
Its possible if they built it into the API years ago (as they were exploring this as far back as 2008) although its also possible that all games may not work optimally with it if they are using certain tricks in coding. Resolution can be upped by modifying the resolution change call to force it to 1080p. And framerate can be increased by increasing the clockspeed of the GPU/CPU (which i've seen done in certain emulators like NullDC and Gens).

Mindlog

Gary Whitta said:
XBOX LIVE PLATINUM confirmed
and xbox live platinum will offer a game streaming service with games running at 1080p/60 FPS. XBOX 360.5 is made available to every existing console. The mystery is solved!

Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete,

Mindlog said:
and xbox live platinum will offer a game streaming service with games running at 1080p/60 FPS. XBOX 360.5 is made available to every existing console. The mystery is solved!

Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete,
Xbox OnLIVE! It all makes sense now...

S1kkZ

Gary Whitta said:
not that strange to me. i already expected a 360.5 last year. same console, more ram, more and better shader effects, 100% backwards compatible, makes current 360 games look and run better, full 3d 720p support and so on...

if the next xbox really is set for late 2013, they need something like that. kinect is not enough to bridge the next 2 1/2 years.

Hmmm maybe the Super 360 isn't such a wacky idea after all. Would be interesting in that it would totally blur the lines on what is considered next-gen... would this be a next-gen machine or just an extension of the existing gen?

Shurs

Gary Whitta said:
Hmmm maybe the Super 360 isn't such a wacky idea after all. Would be interesting in that it would totally blur the lines on what is considered next-gen... would this be a next-gen machine or just an extension of the existing gen?

The Apple model of yearly hardware updates.

szaromir

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
If it was able to run all the same games at 1080p60, it'd have to be at least 8x more powerful. Next-gen.

Krev said:
I'm warming to the idea.

A hell of a lot of people would pick one up, and it would be cheaper than a full new system roll-out. They could keep 360 trucking for quite a while longer and help erase the losses that the Xbox division has racked up.

It would certainly play into Nintendo's hands though, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure, it may mean it would be around the same level as Nintendo's system, which on the one hand would give them a partner platform for next gen multi-plat games, but lose them their anticipated 'best multiplatform version' tag, if that was worth anything. So it would be down to controller, price, momentum, launch dates and all the usual variables ;)
Edit: Oh and games, can't forget them!

Shurs said:
Does this include pack-in copies?

It has to, such figures always do, unless stated otherwise.

The funny thing is, I specifically remember reading about that milestone on Rare's old website, but now I can't seem to find anything about it so take that with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Right, I found some mention of it, although the article is not on Rare's new website. It was actually "approaching 1 million" whereas PDZ apparently managed 1.5.

szaromir said:
If it was able to run all the same games at 1080p60, it'd have to be at least 8x more powerful. Next-gen.
So basically a full next-gen machine with its own games that only run on the new high specs, but with enhanced backward compatibility that re-renders (probably only select) existing 360 titles? I could get behind that.

Gary Whitta said:
So basically a full next-gen machine with its own games that only run on the new high specs, but with enhanced backward compatibility that re-renders (probably only select) existing 360 titles? I could get behind that.
You just described a next gen Xbox with 360 backwards compatibility. :lol The 360 already does this with some titels (I think Halo and Halo 2 run in 720p + 4xAA).

Yeah the more I think about it the more the idea of a kinda-nextgen-but-not-really Super 360 would just be confusing for consumers. Devs would want to make future titles to take advantage of the enhanced power but those games wouldn't run on older 360s. Too weird.

UberTag

Gary Whitta said:
No doubt those "select" titles will be noteworthy multiplayer franchise titles like Call of Duty and Halo.

Blurring the lines between generations affords Microsoft a number of advantages.

They provide a hook for existing owners to upgrade so they can get access to more COD maps (which would still be timed exclusive) and a better all-around gaming experience.

They can offer what would in all likelihood be a more affordable upgrade path for existing owners than buying either of Sony or Nintendo's alternatives.

They can continue to grow their X360 install base mindshare advantage if they can fudge the branding in such a way that these can still be called Xbox 360s despite offering tech on par with that offered in a PS4.

And all of these elements are reinforced by other elements to keep Xbox gamers with Xbox such as achievements, an expanded friends list, the community as a whole, the paid XBL subscription, Kinect, etc.

Everything about this idea "makes sense" ... especially if the enhanced version of a game can be easily included on the new larger disc format or easily downloaded via Xbox LIVE. Whether Microsoft elects to go this route or not remains to be seen but it is the natural extension of their existing business model.

brotkasten said:
You just described a next gen Xbox with 360 backwards compatibility. :lol The 360 already does this with some titels (I think Halo and Halo 2 run in 720p + 4xAA).

The old rumor specifically states it would be capable of more that that, like increasing draw distances, automatically implementing new features and so on. Could it be possible? Perhaps. Microsoft has strict code requirements, but without knowing what they are exactly, it's hard to tell.

That said, this new rumor is very strange and not very likely.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
The old rumor specifically states it would be capable of more that that, like increasing drawing distance, automatically implementing new features and so on. Could it be possible? Perhaps. Microsoft has strict code requirements, but without knowing what they are exactly, it's hard to tell.

And perhaps this is what the new disc format is for. Added space for better textures.

Do you think most of the Kinect titles at the Microsoft conference will be "Better With Kinect" or will they require Kinect? If it's the former, I don't people will be mad because it would be optional and no one would have a reason to bitch.

S1kkZ

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah the more I think about it the more the idea of a kinda-nextgen-but-not-really Super 360 would just be confusing for consumers. Devs would want to make future titles to take advantage of the enhanced power but those games wouldn't run on older 360s. Too weird.
it works for apple...(or do all apps run on a 3gs?).

szaromir

Banned
Deadly Joker said:
Do you think most of the Kinect titles at the Microsoft conference will be "Better With Kinect" or will they require Kinect? If it's the former, I don't people will be mad because it would be optional and no one would have a reason to bitch.
People love to bitch.

Deadly Joker said:

It will be the former, but I wish they would be ballsy enough to require it.

Deadly Joker said:
I think most titles featuring Kinect will be Kinect only. Perhaps not by a big majority, but I expect Rare titles, Dance Central 2, Lionhead Kinect and Frontier Kinect to be Kinect only.

Deadly Joker said:

People will probably bitch either way.

I think it makes a lot of sense though especially if they're developing "hardcore" titles. Make people want to try them on Kinect but don't make them exclusive as you're cutting off a big part of the 360s userbase and I doubt they'll sell as much as they would have done otherwise.

antonz

Vinterbird said:
And perhaps this is what the new disc format is for. Added space for better textures.
The new disc format is because the old one sucked. Wii had higher disc space available to developers.

Gary Whitta said:
It'd be adopting the business model of Apple for sure where they definitely blur the lines with their yearly hardware upgrades.

Deadly Joker said:

Most of them will require Kinect, but most of games aimed at core gamers will likely just support it in some fashion. But of course, there will be core games that are Kinect-only as well (I think Kinect Star Wars and all the TGS games sans maybe Steel Battalion fit the bill).

It's also worth pointing out that not all Kinect games will be introduced at the conference. Microsoft has a limited number of slots and they're not known for cramming too much stuff into their presentations (which is a good thing). Out of all Kinect games at E3, I believe only a minor portion will require Kinect.

wwm0nkey

You know, I could see a new xbox 360 model that plays games at 1080p, 60FPS and in 3D. I would buy it too.

Halo: Reach in 1080p, 60 FPS and in 3D would be amazing

It wont happen :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom