• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 Trademark And Rumor Round-Up [Up8: Xbox Live Diamond, Kinect Disneyland]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nab said:
Interesting list. I don't have a Kinect yet so I guess I'm still to be won over, and I do hope there's some other stuff on top of all this list. I think there will be, this stuff just gets out more because of the patents and new trademarks involved, plus I figure most of this could feature in a montage and not take up any conference time at all so there should be room for "hardcore".

If Crimson Alliance is a Crimson Skies sequel that could be pretty awesome, and a good head to head with Starhawk.

Also... We wheel it out every year so why not this year too:

JET SET RADIO FUTURE SEQUEL, C'MON!
Crimson Alliance is an ARPG.

Linkified

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Er, you can count on it, it's their biggest franchise. I for one can't wait to see what they have in store.
Talking to cortanna to get intel. It will be something minute enough that won't be over the top and can be done with just a headset.

Kafel

Banned
I hope MS won't spend too much time talking about PC and WP7. I suspect them to show something about some interaction between a Kinect game and a Windows Phone though (like that prototype video with Kinect Sports). And maybe a service with Kinect, Skype and Phones.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
There's nothing hilarious about stage presentations being staged as long as the games work as intended under normal conditions.
I know you are some kind of Kinect that has become sentient and now posts on the internet, but bad stage presentations are always hilarious (Warhawk motion controls, Nintendo broken balance board, Kinect everything).

Kafel

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I know you are some kind of Kinect that has become sentient and now posts on the internet, but bad stage presentations are always hilarious (Warhawk motion controls, Nintendo broken balance board, Kinect everything).

Yeah, even when they're done by professional performers like the guys from the Cirque du Soleil. I totally thought they were going to play the games in front of everyone as well! That's the magic of performers in the eyes of 6 years old.

szaromir

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Not always. Everybody felt sorry for Miyamoto last year and the presentation went very very bad.

Y2Kev said:

You see, the difference between those two and Kinect is that they were showed acting completely broken. Like motion plus in Skyward Sword.

Kinect was shown at that stage the first year, and everybody laughed and said it wouldn't work (BAM, there it is). They didn't want to have the same thing happen the second time around.

It's smart, it's professional, it's prepared. It's everything but funny.

Y2Kev

szaromir said:
Not always. Everybody felt sorry for Miyamoto last year and the presentation went very very bad.
They should have known it wasn't going to work considering their field of Wiis hidden under the stage.

And wow, okay, so they're not funny. Yikes.

Y2Kev said:

I was referring to the unnecessary "fake" part, although I also don't share many gaffers' idea of what's hilarious and what isn't, which certainly includes some of Kinect presentations. A good example is the Kinectimals demo which I found quite adorable, but some of the reactions here were really inappropriate.

In fact, the only Kinect-related MS conference moment that I found unintentionally funny was the BAM! incident, but nothing, and I mean nothing compares to the embarrassment that was the whole You're in the Movies presentation. Dear lord...

But hey, to each his own.

TheOddOne

I laughed my ass off at Skittles. Really, they should have known that it was cringe worthy. I know they where trying to appeal to other audiences, but... it was so awkward.

Y2Kev

I completely forgot about ballsack girl! What was the name? Was it fuzzles?

Edit: skittles!

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I don't think being on rails is such a huge issue if the gameplay is fun. Just look at all the love Sin & Punishment 2 has been getting or the positive reactions to yesterday's news about House of the Dead Overkill arriving on PS3. It would be hypocritical to criticize certain Kinect games just because they're on rails.

That said, I hope they've made some significant progress with this one because what they've shown last year didn't look all that great.
On rails was the wrong word lol. I just meant pre recorded.

I have no problem with things being pre-recorded so that they go smoothly (to avoid Skyward Sword and BAM! moments), as long as they accurately represent actual gameplay and they're not disingenuous. People were giffing Kinect last year to show that it was fake and then implying (or assuming) that the gameplay won't work and that they're hiding something. In reality Kinectimals, Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures were exactly as they showed on stage (as was Forza when it was demonstrated in real time to Gamespot and 1up).

But I have no problem laughing at the actual presentations themselves either. The cheesy actors, the funny GIFS (Kinectimals wrestling) and the hyperbolic PR lines... it's part and parcel of an E3 conference!

InaudibleWhispa said:
I have no problem with things being pre-recorded so that they go smoothly (to avoid Skyward Sword and BAM! moments), as long as they accurately represent actual gameplay and they're not disingenuous. People were giffing Kinect last year to show that it was fake and then implying (or assuming) that the gameplay won't work and that they're hiding something. In reality Kinectimals, Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures were exactly as they showed on stage (as was Forza when it was demonstrated in real time to Gamespot and 1up).

Exactly. People were skeptical of Kinect and its ability to actually represent the human body as well as they demonstrated.

Truth of the matter is ; it works, and damn well. This year will probably also have pre-recorded footage. Is it still going to be funny, then?

TheOddOne

InaudibleWhispa said:
But I have no problem laughing at the actual presentations themselves either. The cheesy actors, the funny GIFS (Kinectimals wrestling) and the hyperbolic PR lines... it's part and parcel of an E3 conference!
Still makes you wonder about the people running the show.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I was referring to the unnecessary "fake" part, although I also don't share many gaffers' idea of what's hilarious and what isn't, which certainly includes some of Kinect presentations. A good example is the Kinectimals demo which I found quite adorable, but some of the reactions here were really inappropriate.

In fact, the only Kinect-related MS conference moment that I found unintentionally funny was the BAM! incident, but nothing, and I mean nothing compares to the embarrassment that was the whole You're in the Movies presentation. Dear lord...

I think if you want, you can make anything funny, and if you come into it not looking for a good laugh, it will work as they intended, and it won't seem fake or bad. Last years conference worked fine for me in terms of having pre-recorded stuff, it only falls apart if you read a thread in which people look at gif's where you can see how movements aren't matching and so on.

But yeah, to each their own.

Hey You

Zeal said:
If Halo goes Kinect in any fucking way, there will be blood.
If its just one special game mode that we can use Kinect, then I will be happy.

No way Microsoft would fuck up their biggest franchise by requiring Kinect or giving an advantage to Kinect players.

I just don't see how Kinect could be used in a Halo game though.

Linkified

Hey You said:
If its just one special game mode that we can use Kinect, then I will be happy.

No way Microsoft would fuck up their biggest franchise by requiring Kinect or giving an advantage to Kinect players.

I just don't see how Kinect could be used in a Halo game though.
Talking to cortanna if you don't have kinect, use a headset, to get extra intel to help kill the covenant quicker. That's about the extent Microsoft would even dream of doing in their most succesful ip.

wwm0nkey

2dw7plz.jpg

from the cover of the new OXM

FrankT

wwm0nkey said:
2dw7plz.jpg

from the cover of the new OXM

What is that UK OXM? As I just got the July US issue this last week and definitely not on the cover.

Edit: NVM I see the price.

APZonerunner said:
Let's head this off early: Last time there was a magazine pic/scan like that, it was a magazine speculating based on older rumours.

Gears of War Exile, Halo HD - all known, rumoured entities. Probably another "what might be there" article based on widespread speculation.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-18-what-is-gears-of-war-exile

Pretty much.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Gears of War Exile has made me inquisitive. I know it's some sort of Kinect game.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
D4Danger said:
Hitman 5 more important than everything else

as it should be.

Damn straight, and Hitman has always been praised from OXM UK, in several issues they've done in the past on calling it one of the bests.

This year rather than focus my rage on the Kinect I'm going to be positive about the games I have interest in. Makes for a far less stressful Microsoft conference.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So Gears 3, Halo HD, MW3, no wonder why they want to focus on Kinect since all the 3 top dogs of the hardcore market are on Xbox 360 this year anyway.

Apath

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

That girl was so fake, obnoxious, and over-the-top "cutesy" that I found her ridiculous and all jokes made about that part of the presentation more than justified; it was required.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Kenak said:
That girl was so fake, obnoxious, and over-the-top "cutesy" that I found her ridiculous and all jokes made about that part of the presentation more than justified; it was required.

*shrugs* I liked that part of the show. Maybe it's different when you have kids that are about the same age. My girlfriend's youngest was totally like that when he played it. He would lay down on the floor and laugh hysterically when his cub would do the same.

derFeef

Kenak said:
She did well for what she did. Come on, it was a kid in front of a theater full of people, doing a fake presentation. How can someone be so cold-blooded.

Kibbles

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Er, you can count on it, it's their biggest franchise. I for one can't wait to see what they have in store.
Kinect better stay the fuck away from Halo, especially since it takes away resources that could be used elsewhere.

Seeing as we've known about Hitman Absolution as it's named for a few weeks it's probably fake or just speculation - why would they call it a name that's not the official name?

Not to mention I can't image one of those 4 not being the main cover - Microsofts 2 main franchises plus one of the biggest at the moment… unless they've got another huge game to cover I think it's unlikely the cover would be set out like that.

derFeef

steverulez said:
Seeing as we've known about Hitman Absolution as it's named for a few weeks it's probably fake or just speculation - why would they call it a name that's not the official name?
You missed some news, recently?

Kibbles said:
Kinect better stay the fuck away from Halo, especially since it takes away resources that could be used elsewhere.
Eh, the hit isn't that bad at all. Support was added to Forza and Burnout at 60fps with seemingly no problem, it works well with the Unreal 3 engine and Kinectimals is, in my opinion, one of the best looking console games. They're not going to effect core Halo gameplay with Kinect and make it anything other than optional, so there shouldn't be much to complain about, I don't think.

OXM - I think it's just speculation. It's not like it's a leaked post-E3 issue, it's a preview, and they're not going to be giving away reveals beforehand.

szaromir

Banned
InaudibleWhispa said:
Eh, the hit isn't that bad at all. Support was added to Forza and Burnout at 60fps with seemingly no problem, it works well with the Unreal 3 engine and Kinectimals is, in my opinion, one of the best looking console games. They're not going to effect core Halo gameplay with Kinect and make it anything other than optional, so there shouldn't be much to complain about, I don't think.
The hit is supposedly ~10%. The Burnout demo was done when kinect had its own hardware on board. Forza, Kinectimals etc. are made from ground up with Kinect support in mind.

derFeef said:
You missed some news, recently?
No I meant Hitman 5 isn't the games name, it's Hitman Absolution… so if it was real (the picture) why wouldn't it say Absolution?

Just strikes me as something they would get right.

derFeef

szaromir said:
The hit is supposedly ~10%. The Burnout demo was done when kinect had its own hardware on board. Forza, Kinectimals etc. are made from ground up with Kinect support in mind.
And so sould be any title with Kinect in mind, like a Halo game with some sort of head tracking/leaning.

steverulez said:
No I meant Hitman 5 isn't the games name, it's Hitman Absolution… so if it was real why wouldn't it say Absolution?
I misread that, I am sorry.

szaromir said:
Yeah, the CPU hit is in single digits and even that depends on what is required of Kinect (full body tracking + RGB video recording is naturally going to be more taxing than head and hand tracking, for example). Also, Kinect still has a Primesense processor on board as well as 64MB of DDR2 RAM.

Pooya

1792190-146775e47mo.jpg

this is new info and boxart I think, sorry if old.

http://www.ebgames.com/xbox-360/games/rise-of-nightmares/91195

Introducing Rise of Nightmares, a truly mature experience for Microsoft Kinect. Survive one hellish night as you fight hand to hand against undead enemies and mad scientists using the hands-free controls of Microsoft Kinect. Using knives, chainsaws and your bare hands, rip your foes limb from limb while uncovering the location of your kidnapped wife.

FEATURES

Horrifying and compelling.
An unashamedly mature title in a sea of family-friendly offerings on Kinect for the first time, Rise of Nightmares takes you into a cinematic world of horrific blood and violence.

Unique motion controls.
Use your whole body to fight the undead horde with physical brutality. Rise of Nightmares is an
intensely immersive experience that brings horror to life like never before.

Explore and investigate.
Navigate through Viktor's castle with free movement control, uncover the secrets held within and delve deeper into his the mind of a madman.

Deep and varied gameplay.
Master the different fighting styles and various weapons, stealthy sneaking and puzzle-solving. Will you fall into the mansion's traps or lure the undead into one of your own?

A complete experience.
A full, cinematic gaming experience set in a twisted and astonishing world that grips you from the very start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom