• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has a new studio in Vancouver, working on a AAA Kinect shooter

gibon3z said:
MS finally opens up a new internal studio and what for, a pathetic kinect shooter.

My patience with MS is diminishing.
Wish they would just be outright and tell us they abandoned the core.

this is crazy talk. have you seen the fall lineup? the box is adding layers, not removing them. The core games were there all along and continue to be there. they added movies, added downloadable games, and added motion/family. nothing is being taken away from "The Core".

AlanzTalon said:
this is crazy talk. have you seen the fall lineup? the box is adding layers, not removing them. The core games were there all along and continue to be there. they added movies, added downloadable games, and added motion/family. nothing is being taken away from "The Core".

what do they have coming for me besides another halo/gears/forza? Besides, the rumored halo game is a freakin remake of 1. MS has the luxury of relying on 3rd parties to release on their system unlike nintendo, so they look better than they really are.

Where's the MS that had bioshock, ME1 and 2, oblivion and the gta episodes console exclusive? Even if those were temporary they still gave a huge incentive at the time to have a 360.

TheOddOne

Ickman3400 said:
what do they have coming for me besides another halo/gears/forza? Besides, the rumored halo game is a freakin remake of 1. MS has the luxury of relying on 3rd parties to release on their system unlike nintendo, so they look better than they really are.

Where's the MS that had bioshock, ME1 and 2, oblivion and the gta episodes console exclusive? Even if those were temporary they still gave a huge incentive at the time to have a 360.
I think you didn't really couter anything, its not like those franchises are now gone to Kinect world.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I think MGS also has its London studio — who were previously doing ancillary XBL Euro content like Sky or something — doing a new Kinect game IP.

alphaNoid

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
What do people find appealing about head tracking? I'm not being sarcastic so I'm sorry if it comes off that way, I'm just genuinely curious because I personally don't understand the appeal.
Put your head in a vice and walk around all day staring straight ahead or only left and right when your upper torso moves. Come back tomorrow and tell me thats suffice instead of simply turning your head to look around as you move. Even the slightest of moves is pure freedom, everything in gaming up to this point has been locked plane movements with X,Y analog coordinates.

Thats going to change real quick here.

TheOddOne

cuyahoga said:
I think MGS also has its London studio — who were previously doing ancillary XBL Euro content like Sky or something — doing a new Kinect game IP.
You mean the Shoho team? Yeah, there have been a few job listings.

Snipes424

I just don't understand how a Kinect FPS or TPS would work. If anyone could explain it to me, then please do.

Let's start with problem number 1, aiming. What would you use to aim? your hand? arm? leg? I don't know, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they nail this part. Now on to

Problem number 2: Movement. Will it be on rails? Do you walk in place to move? do you use your other hand to move? Any of these solutions do not sound like a great idea.

Problem number 3: shooting. How would you shoot?

Problem number 4: Lack of force feedback: I think force feedback is a big deal for shooters and the lack of it is not a good thing.

Any ideas?

Linkified

Snipes424 said:
I just don't understand how a Kinect FPS or TPS would work. If anyone could explain it to me, then please do.

Let's start with problem number 1, aiming. What would you use to aim? your hand? arm? leg? I don't know, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they nail this part. Now on to

Problem number 2: Movement. Will it be on rails? Do you walk in place to move? do you use your other hand to move? Any of these solutions do not sound like a great idea.

Problem number 4: Lack of force feedback: I think force feedback is a big deal for shooters and the lack of it is not a good thing.

Any ideas?
Hybrid controls, always using sticks for movement and any kinect' feature with leaning etc. Or even voice to issue commands or ask for intel from an Oracle like figure or something.

Snipes424

Linkified said:
Hybrid controls, always using sticks for movement and any kinect' feature with leaning etc. Or even voice to issue commands or ask for intel from an Oracle like figure or something.

I could see this working, but when I hear the words "kinect Shooter" it means to me just that, a kinect shooter, not a hybrid. I would word that as "Kinect enhanced shooter." But maybe that's just me.

shinnn

Snipes424 said:
I could see this working, but when I hear the words "kinect Shooter" it means to me just that, a kinect shooter, not a hybrid. I would word that as "Kinect enhanced shooter." But maybe that's just me.
maybe you need to read the original statement

"developing a core AAA shooter experience using Kinect"

shinnn said:
maybe you need to read the original statement

"developing a core AAA shooter experience using Kinect"

That leaves a lot of room for interpretation. To me it means a kinect shooter since I would react in the same way if it said "developing a dancing game using Kinect"

Snipes424 said:

I hope it's an hybrid too, I just can't imagine a "core shooter" with kinnect only. Hell, even a rail shooter would be tricky.

Ickman3400 said:
That leaves a lot of room for interpretation. To me it means a kinect shooter since I would react in the same way if it said "developing a dancing game using Kinect"

Sweet! We get to now have a dumbass 100 post discussion on wording.

Snipes424 said:

Any ideas?

First of all, chances are this will be a hybrid game. But even if not, there are ways to make Kinect-only control schemes work for shooters. For instance, take a look at this video, but bear in mind that it's just a proof of concept demonstration (and please ignore the stupid title). The real thing would need to be more sophisticated (and it easily could be, this is tracking just a single hand), but for a tech demo made by a single guy in few days, it's pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j9UhxtmWmA

Oh, and rumble is great, but people can live without it. PS3 games didn't have it for quite a while, stylus games don't have it and mouse and keyboard games don't have it either.

Animator

Apparently this is the big park ms bought last year to do the kinect avatar racing game. The chances of them making a good fps is quite low.

Sydle

Animator said:
Apparently this is the big park ms bought last year to do the kinect avatar racing game. The chances of them making a good fps is quite low.

Nope.

MGS Vancouver said:
We also often share resources and knowledge with BigPark Studios, another MGS studio located in downtown Vancouver.

Link

element

Animator said:
big park is part of this. MGS is building a larger studio in Vancouver. Big Park is one group, this is another.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
First of all, chances are this will be a hybrid game. But even if not, there are ways to make Kinect-only control schemes work for shooters. For instance, take a look at this video, but bear in mind that it's just a proof of concept demonstration (and please ignore the stupid title). The real thing would need to be more sophisticated (and it easily could be, this is tracking just a single hand), but for a tech demo made by a single guy in few days, it's pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j9UhxtmWmA

Oh, and rumble is great, but people can live without it. PS3 games didn't have it for quite a while, stylus games don't have it and mouse and keyboard games don't have it either.
i know you've been a long term kinect advocate, and i'm almost at the point of admiration for someone who can consistently stand up for a product that appears to have no desire to stand up for itself, but c'mon, look at that damn video.

the only concept it proves is that if you make wide, gentle arching movements with your forearm outstretched, you can just about manoeuvre your way around an empty map with all the grace of an obese drunkard in an abandoned parking lot at chucking out time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ghst said:
the only concept it proves is that if you make wide, gentle arching movements with your forearm outstretched, you can just about manoeuvre your way around an empty map with all the grace of an obese drunkard in a parking lot at 3am.

Hehe.

And let's not forget the simple fact that it would be extremely uncomfortable after about, oh, 10 minutes.

People will probably swoop in and insist that it'll be a hybrid game, which it may be, but I don't see how requiring you to remove your hands from the gamepad improves the experience in any way. It really all comes down to headtracking, but even then, how well will it work if you're sitting several feet away from the TV?

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

By tactile feeling, he means more than just rumble. It's about having something in your hand, and clicking the mouse or pulling the trigger and seeing the gun fire on screen as you do it. If it is a controller free Kinect game, I can't imagine that jerking your arm up to shoot will have that same feeling.

Prine

Banned
Good news, Kinect has so much potential for new gameplay ideas its absurd. Though, i would LOVE a RARE shooter for Kinect.

Please Rare, show us more than Kinect Sports 2 at e3 for Kinect.

Prine

Banned
Ickman3400 said:

Whats coming out on Kinect? Not much. Theres far more "core" games for 360 over the coming months, its like you people dont want anybody to enjoy Kinect just because your against it.

Im hoping there a barrage of Kinect core games at e3.

TUROK

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
That's your problem right there - you won't find a good game if you don't even try to play one. Give it a shot, you just might like it.
I played Kinect Adventures at a friend's house. It was really fun, but it's something to do while drunk. I was speaking more along the lines of a core game. An actual adventure.

Nicktals

Banned
Vinterbird said:
Hybrid is not cheap. Cheap would be going "wave your arms and animation happens". Actually making an interesting and fun game using hybrid structure or kinect exclusively could be extremely fun. We haven't seen what they are doing, and Kinect has shown it does more then just "waggle", so it's way to early say "meh, will suck, make the game we've already played but with new shaders".

Because peaking over cover is clumsy as hell in FPS games, and looking out of your window with the right stick in a driving game will make me crash or drive of course. Moving that stuff to me head, and simple movements there would remove that problem for me personally.

This makes no sense. slightly moving your right thumb causes you to crash, but trying to turn your head while looking at the screen would be easy and awesome?

Also, if peaking over cover is clumsy in FPS games, isn't that more of a gameplay problem than a control problem? If you expect persistent gameplay problems to be solved by moving your head, I'm not sure what to say. I see it adding even more issues. I guess I always think that moving your thumb on an analog stick should be much more precise, and easier, than moving your head about. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but it just doesn't make sense. If you want to argue immersion, then fine, I'll accept that (or at least let it slide). But I don't see what else it could add for people.

Snuggler said:
By tactile feeling, he means more than just rumble. It's about having something in your hand, and clicking the mouse or pulling the trigger and seeing the gun fire on screen as you do it. If it is a controller free Kinect game, I can't imagine that jerking your arm up to shoot will have that same feeling.

He doesn't because he specifically said force feedback. Holding something in your hands is something you're used to while gaming, but in real life there are many actions that provide no tactile feedback whatsoever. It's not required. And for those uses where it makes more sense to feel something in your hands, well, just grab something. If it's not too obstructive, I don't think Kinect will mind, at least if the game is programmed to allow for it.

There are already experimental systems that provide actual tactile feedback on holographic images. I can see future Kinect-like systems benefiting from such research.

TUROK said:
I played Kinect Adventures at a friend's house. It was really fun, but it's something to do while drunk. I was speaking more along the lines of a core game. An actual adventure.

Maybe The Gunstringer or the upcoming Japanese games will suit you better.

I don't know how I missed this news but as a Kinect owner with a dearth of Kinect games to play, I'm very excited to see what this ends up being.

Top Bottom