• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has more best-sellers on PlayStation Store than Sony does

Pop

Incredulous Yeah Right GIF by Nick Cannon

C'mon now...When you buy up a ton of 3rd party studios this tends to happen.

And another thing, this looks terrible for Microsoft. "Their games" will sell better on other platforms then their own

NickFire

Ultimately it's this. That doesn't mean that stuff like Sea of Thieves isn't good as I'm sure it is but when Microsoft buys up everybody it's bound to have top sellers on competing platforms.

Just wait until they put Halo over there.
No disrespect to Sea of Thieves intended. I plan to try it out one day because it does look good.

Not sure why there's so much defensiveness and "console warring" calls here.

It's just the truth. And frankly it's a good thing for all. It strengthens Microsoft's position in the market and it brings more games to PS owners.

I don't understand why PS owners would be upset about the idea of getting to play more games that they formerly didn't have access to.
Your final sentence correlates to the question in your first sentence.

Before we look at the data, I have to bring up some very important context points:

• PlayStation Store rankings change on a daily basis and the info provided below only reflects current standings
  • The best-sellers list includes free-to-play games like Fortnite, and even updates like Overwatch 2
  • Prices fluctuate and discounted games will often top the lists and/or be included

97684_1_microsoft-has-more-games-on-playstations-top-25-best-sellers-than-sony-does.png

According to the PS Store listings on the PS5 console, as of today, April 18, 2024, Microsoft had 7 out of the top 25 best-selling games on the PlayStation Store.

This includes 2x Fallout games (Fallout 4 at #16 and Fallout 76 at #20, respectively), Call of Duty at #2, Overwatch 2 at #7, Minecraft at #19, and two separate games that recently broke exclusivity: Sea of Thieves at #12 and Grounded at #23.

Sony, on the other hand, had 5 games on the best-sellers list, two of which are not technically first-party games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment (Helldivers II was developed by Arrowhead Studios, and Stellar Blade by Shift Up).
And five of those were created by companies that had nothing whatsoever to do with microsoft/xbox at the time.
As usual.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Funny how this fanbase continues to change the narrative every week for themselves, just so they feel less insecure.

MS is just showing to them that Xbox itself is a joke. They are just laughing at their own fanbase which is hilarious.

Last edited:
Funny how this fanbase continues to change the narrative every week for themselves.

Yea but the thing is I mainly see it in the hardcore crazy people like that colteastwood guy. Actual Xbox communities seem to be a lot more reasonable with their takes on the situation. I see two main camps really. Either they don't care and just enjoy the Xbox ecosystem over PS and want to stay there. The other side is looking at leaving soon as they don't really see the point in owning the system anymore or have already left.

Saber

Gold Member
If they buy every top game company out there, well yes they obviously gonna appear in all charts.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Not sure why there's so much defensiveness and "console warring" calls here.

It's just the truth. And frankly it's a good thing for all. It strengthens Microsoft's position in the market and it brings more games to PS owners.

I don't understand why PS owners would be upset about the idea of getting to play more games that they formerly didn't have access to.

The article is console war bait.

Humdinger

You're misreading the situation. There aren't any PS owners who are upset that MS games are coming to the platform. Not sure where you're getting that from.

There are a few guys who say "MS games suck, you can keep them," but the vast majority are pleased that MS-published games, including former exclusives, are coming to the PS5. Why wouldn't they be?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
According to the PS Store listings on the PS5 console, as of today, April 18, 2024, Microsoft had 7 out of the top 25 best-selling games on the PlayStation Store.​

This includes 2x Fallout games (Fallout 4 at #16 and Fallout 76 at #20, respectively), Call of Duty at #2, Overwatch 2 at #7, Minecraft at #19, and two separate games that recently broke exclusivity: Sea of Thieves at #12 and Grounded at #23.

Sony, on the other hand, had 5 games on the best-sellers list, two of which are not technically first-party games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment (Helldivers II was developed by Arrowhead Studios, and Stellar Blade by Shift Up).

You say the last part about Sony as if 2nd party games haven't been a thing of the past. How can you respect MS for buying those companies and then just claiming their games over Sony having Arrowhead make Helldivers2 for them?

You're misreading the situation. There aren't any PS owners who are upset that MS games are coming to the platform. Not sure where you're getting that from.

There are a few guys who say "MS games suck, you can keep them," but the vast majority are pleased that MS-published games, including former exclusives, are coming to the PS5. Why wouldn't they be?
And yet there’s a few people who seem upset ITT 🤷‍♂️

Mr Moose

You say the last part about Sony as if 2nd party games haven't been a thing of the past. How can you respect MS for buying those companies and then just claiming their games over Sony having Arrowhead make Helldivers2 for them?
There's no such thing as second party games. It's 1st or 3rd. Like 1st person and 3rd person.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I

Yeah, and Xbox fanboys always change narratives based on how Xbox is doing.

2013-2015 - PlayStation has no games. It's about exclusives. The most powerful console didn't matter.
2015-2016 - Indies don't matter. It was about the triple A exclusives. Metacritic mattered.
2016-2019 - Backwards compatibility. Most powerful console. Game Pass, not having to pay full price for games anymore.
2020 -2022 - Microsoft acquires Zenimax and ABK. Exclusives now matter. Sales are irrelevant. It's about engagement and players.

After years of saying sales don't matter, they're likely going with the sales narrative now after losing nearly every narrative possible. These guys will always look for a "win" over Sony.

This was an easy prediction. I'm sure some of us saw it coming.

After saying for years that sales don't matter... now we see Xbox fans on twitter bragging about sales.

Klayzer

Maybe, although I can't say whether they are "upset." Mostly what I see are PS guys goofing on Xbox superfans (e.g., Colt Eastwood) claiming that this is some kind of console war victory. If you want to talk about defensiveness...
Where are these angry PS guys?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You know the inverse would be the same?

If ff7 rebirth or ghost of Tsushima hit Xbox they’d be top of the charts.

The difference? Top of Xbox charts is like 200 units and top of PlayStation charts is 200,000 units.

Top Bottom