• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has purchased $100-150 million worth of Agumented Reality patents

Nafai1123

Banned
I agree with you on the couch co-op, but I fear it is pretty much dead. Ironically VR might be something that brings that back - albeit you'd be physically on different couches, but you could be virtually on the same one.

I have no idea why everything is online and not shared screen anymore. so sad.

I think there's actually been a resurgence of shared screen gaming, it's just in the indie game market (Towerfall, Nidhogg, Samurai Gunn, Mercenary Kings, etc.)

Of course, I'm not talking about today. And why would I need screens that turn fully transparent? Do the 3DS and Vita not do AR? They just use the camera to project on your screen. Implement a camera on a VR headset and it's basically the same.

But why not use the superior actual reality instead of a video feed of the actual reality?

Why AR and VR in the same device? Only because the abbreviations sound similar?

Kysen

AR is way more limited than VR. Basically a dead end till they can build in the projection device into a contact lens. Otherwise you end up with stupid looking devices like cast AR. Occulus/Morpheus is definitely the way forward.

Sydle

Not surprised, AR has more daily-life applications than VR and MS is way more than just gaming.

I would love some streamlined glasses where menus, maps, inventories, etc. popped up right in front of you and you could manipulate them with Kinect. Then imagine also having certain effects present themselves in the room while playing. It would be immersive as hell.

Or am I off base for AR here?

I'm with you.

There are many games being released that could have a more immersive experience with simple effects such as atmospheric, color temperature, induced speed, and seemingly projected visualizations.

With Kinect maybe it would allow you to interact with those visualizations. Just imagine something simple such as a Tetris-like puzzle game that looks like its right in front of you in your living room and you're moving pieces with your hands.

I keep imagining it with Forza Horizon 2, with its rumored weather system on top of the day and night cycles, and using the camera outside your car. It could add a layer of color to the room, give a greater sense of induced speed, and add atmospheric effects like rain and dust.

Or with Halo it could look like bullets and laser shots are going right by you on top of atmospheric effects, or even provide some sense of peripheral vision. HUD displays would be neat.

I think there are additional applications such as watching movies/TV and setting a mood in your room with simple color changes.

Whatever comes of it, I see room for both VR and AR. Not sure why there are detractors on either side.

jcm

With what AR is being developed as currently, isn't what the military been using for aircraft huds and helmets for targeting and tracking basically a "first step" into AR and been around for a long time now? Sure nothing consumer grade has been readily available, but this doesn't seem like a new idea at all. Hell even some car manufacturers were toying around with HUD style projections onto the windshield at one point. I still believe one still is in regard to night vision cameras for safety, I just can't think of which manufacturer it is.

Yes, HUDs like that are a first step, but I think there's a lot of distance between them and something you can comfortably wear and interact with.

KoopaTheCasual

Wow so Sony is VR while MS will be AR? This will be a battle to behold.
It's more than that even. With Facebook pushing VR, and Google pushing AR, we're looking at an trans-industry push for the new media form. Pretty exciting to see which catches on first/more.

VR is obviously much more immersive, but I don't know how many games I personally feel I could play with it. AR seems to have more broad applications that just about any game could use.Turning my TV into illumiroom or projecting 3D images like water splashing on the glasses could be useful in any game. If they make it affordable and lightweight I could see it working well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So AR is basically what we've seen with 3DS and Vita? Pasting a game in my world? Don't see how that's nearly as awesome as me being placed in the game's world.

Remark

Banned
VR and AR will coincide soon enough. While they are fundamentally/technically different, we will see the same devices multitasking to do both in the future.

How though? That just doesn't make sense to me how we will multitask between both unless your talking 20 to 30 years in the future maybe.

sunofsam

when you can't create/innovate yourself, this is what you do. the worst thing to happen to gaming ever = Microsoft. just think if they put that money they just used and what they use to pay other companies to make games for them....into first party games....smh

cough Gaikai cough

kyser73

There are a number of major tech hurdles to overcome in wearable computing generally, but the biggest one for AR is battery life. You need lightweight batteries that are very small and have a good life - turn on video & wifi on Glass and you get about 30-45 mins life.

This isn't an 'ideal' to aim for like wireless for VT - it's essential for AR.

Regarding applications, while I can see some for gaming it's most likely going to start in professional environments like logistics, healthcare, manufacturing & tourism (art gallery & museum guides).

when you can't create/innovate yourself, this is what you do. the worst thing to happen to gaming ever = Microsoft. just think if they put that money they just used and what they use to pay other companies to make games for them....into first party games....smh

Yup Sony innovates/creates.....

/rolleyes

Project morpheous is all innovation.

Phades

Yes, HUDs like that are a first step, but I think there's a lot of distance between them and something you can comfortably wear and interact with.

Well, I get the virtual space interaction being a ways off in general. Wouldn't that be more inline with holographic and or laser projection with tracking style technology though? AR, to me, just seems like adding a hud/UI overlay and wants to be incorporated into other technologies depending on what the desired end user effect is supposed to be.

Edit: Laser projection/tracking kind of like this being a fledgling step.

61oKDUD6C4L._SL1500_.jpg

Very curious to see if we'll see a VR/AR split. I'm not sold by either idea as it stands, but if Google and MS are pushing AR while people like FB, Sony, and Valve push VR, it would be interesting to see where tech goes. Obviously AR seems like the sort of thing that's only tertiarily related to gaming, but I'm more curious about the big picture, societal implications of which tech gets more adoption.

Latency of Kinect 2 is "~60 ms with processing" according to MS stats. That's OK for hand waving in front TV, but its not nearly enough for head position tracking for VR.

That's the latency of Kinect tracking a whole human body by creating a 42 joint skeleton mesh. If they were to have an AR or VR solution, they would simple track IR LED's in the VR/AR hardware for head tracking, like Morpheus and Oculus are doing. The camera tracks at 30fps at 1080p. I doubt that couldn't be improved upon at lower resolutions.

As for leg and arm tracking using Kinect's body tracking software, there would be slight lag there, though it might be ultimately worth the tradeoff over a static body. Like the guy said at the Morpheus announcement, they found that clipping a hand through a wall was oddly more immersive than having the arm bend and stop at the wall, while your arm is straight, breaking the immersion. Lag for your head would be sickening (literally), but for something purely visual like a foot or an arm, I'd take it over nothing.

Lol. If you look at the history of Sony's research you find it is the result of innovation yes.
Microsoft invests significantly more in R&D than Sony. $10.4 billion last year, 3rd highest in the world behind Volkswagen and Samsung. The notion that Microsoft can't be bothered to innovate and just buys patents is patently (lol) laughable.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Very curious to see if we'll see a VR/AR split. I'm not sold by either idea as it stands, but if Google and MS are pushing AR while people like FB, Sony, and Valve push VR, it would be interesting to see where tech goes. Obviously AR seems like the sort of thing that's only tertiarily related to gaming, but I'm more curious about the big picture, societal implications of which tech gets more adoption.
Agreed 100%. Show and prove. I'm not excited at all by any of this right now.

Alx

AR is way more limited than VR. Basically a dead end till they can build in the projection device into a contact lens. Otherwise you end up with stupid looking devices like cast AR. Occulus/Morpheus is definitely the way forward.

One shouldn't judge a product on the looks of a prototype...
project-morpheus_PS4_w_6743.jpg

project-morpheus-zapowiedz_1769b.jpg

yamo

This would be so awesome on an airplane were the windows are replaced by screens and cameras. I would totally recreate the Twilight Zone episode with the fucking gremlin on the airplane wing if I owned an airline. Would be hilarious...

that shit made me afraid of flying as a kid and I would kill anyone who did this to me!

jcm

Well, I get the virtual space interaction being a ways off in general. Wouldn't that be more inline with holographic and or laser projection with tracking style technology though? AR, to me, just seems like adding a hud/UI overlay and wants to be incorporated into other technologies depending on what the desired end user effect is supposed to be.

Edit: Laser projection/tracking kind of like this being a fledgling step.

It's not just that kind of interaction though. The UI of the device itself and the apps it runs are also hard. I probably use Siri more than most but it can be infuriating, and that has an extremely responsive touch screen attached.

VR is not AR.

AR is Google Glass or 3D/Vita/Smartphone demos, only MS wants to provide real world object tracking and placing of computer generated objects in our view [in addition to static Bing-powered HUD stats].
Yeah it seems like a lot of people are confused between the two.

I'm interested in both techs. They are very different from each other although share similarities and each has the potential to be cool in it's own right.

But why not use the superior actual reality instead of a video feed of the actual reality?

Why AR and VR in the same device? Only because the abbreviations sound similar?

What are you even getting at? Because they sound the same? Are you trying to be insulting? No, it's not because they sound similar it's because until holographic projection technology is good enough to where you don't need to look at a screen in order to see it (think 3DS/Vita/iPad and NOT just Google Glass) there isn't much that can move forward outside of a small tiny screen in your glasses (like Google Glass), unless of course you fix VR with a camera for AR. See the link below.

EDIT: and your first sentence "But why not use the superior actual reality instead of a video feed of the actual reality?". Show me a device that does this. In order to "overlay" there needs to be a screen whether transparent or not that will display the correct correlation from your eye to where it "would" be. Almost every AR tech we have now involves viewing the 'world' through screen, how else would the software be able to display?

How though? That just doesn't make sense to me how we will multitask between both unless your talking 20 to 30 years in the future maybe.

I'm not developing the software, so I don't know. There are people with DevKit1 for OR doing this with webcams. There's not really a point in multitasking between the two, but in the immediate future AR is going to be goggles with a screen, VR is goggles with a screen, they are very DIFFERENT ideals but with very SIMILAR technology involved.

Look here: AR done with (OMG) VR goggles: http://ovrvision.com/

Yeah it seems like a lot of people are confused between the two.

Maybe some. Not me. See the above link. AR done with VR goggles. I find it fucking hilarious people are like 'but that's a screen, you're just looking at a screen" .... what do you think the 3DS/Vita/iPad versions of AR are?

sunofsam

How many Gaffers would be pro AR if it was what Sony was developing and MS was going the VR route?

Myself - I'm pumped for both.

Phades

It's not just that kind of interaction though. The UI of the device itself and the apps it runs are also hard. I probably use Siri more than most but it can be infuriating, and that has an extremely responsive touch screen attached.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it would be easy. ^_^;

Biker19

Banned

Exactly. Or to have better hardware inside of their console.

This is unlikely considering MS's history. They are not an innovator company. They only start developing something when they see someone else doing it and realize they need to be there too.

I agree. Why people would defend this company is beyond me.

SPDIF

Exactly. Or to have better hardware inside of their console.

I agree. Why people would defend this company is beyond me.

It's less defending and more like pointing out people's trolling/stupidity. I don't care what you think of MS, but to claim that they've never innovated and the only way for them to possibly get into the AR/VR market is to buy other company's patents and technology is just moronic.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think AR might be more advanced than VR. But AR and VR put together would basically be holodecks

iceatcs

AR seem more mainstream than VR I think it is why MS going for it.

But I hope it is not glasses, I want smartphone like Iron Man movie

Well that's what everyone is saying. Was there a paper on this or something?
There weren't, but I can find some for you. Here you go:
Paper 1 (requires acadmic login): http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=4811025
Experiments conducted at NASA Ames Research Center [2, 7, 8, 15] reported atency thresholds for a judgment of whether scenes presented in HMDs are the same or different from a minimal latency reference scene.

Subjects viewed the scene while rotating their heads back and forth. These studies found that individual subjects’ point of subjective equality (PSE—the amount of scene motion at which the subject is equally likely to judge a stimulus to be different from one or more reference reference stimuli) vary considerably (in the 0 to 80 ms range) depending on factors such as different xperimental conditions, bias, type of head movement, and individual differences. They found just-noticeable differences (JND—the stimulus required to increase or decrease the detection rate by 25% from a PSE with a detection rate of 50%) to be in the 5 to 20 ms range. They also found that subjects are more sensitive to latency during the phase of sinusoidal head rotation when direction of head rotation reverses (when scene velocity due to latency peaks) than the middle of head turns (when scene velocity due to latency
is smaller) [1].

Conclusion: The latency JND mean of 16.6 ms and minimum of 3.2 ms over 60 JND values suggest that end-to-end system latency in the 5 ms range is sufficiently low to be imperceptible in HMDs.

Paper 2 (free): https://www.cs.unc.edu/cms/publications/dissertations/jerald.pdf

The mean latency 75% threshold across all subjects and all six deciles (60 75% thresholds) was 55.6 ms with a standard deviation of 23.4 ms.
The lowest 75% threshold was 19.2 ms and the maximum 75% threshold was 154.1 ms.
The mean latency 50% thresholds across all subjects and all six deciles was 38.7 ms with a standard deviation of 18.4 ms.
The lowest 50% threshold was −0.2 ms (a negative 50% threshold implies that the subject rated a stable scene to be moving with over 50% confidence) and the highest 50% threshold was 103.2 ms.
The mean latency difference threshold across all subjects and all six deciles was 16.9 ms with a standard deviation of 10.4 ms.
The lowest difference threshold was 3.2 ms and the highest difference threshold was 60.5 ms.
The minimum latency difference threshold of 3.2 ms over 60 difference thresholds suggest that end-to-end system latency in the 3 ms range is sufficiently low to be imperceptible in HMDs.
John Carmack comment:
Human sensory systems can detect very small relative delays in parts of the visual or, especially, audio fields, but when absolute delays are below approximately 20 milliseconds they are generally imperceptible. Interactive 3D systems today typically have latencies that are several times that figure, but alternate configurations of the same hardware components can allow that target to be reached.
http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2013/02/22/latency-mitigation-strategies/

Kinect alone has a latency of 60ms, if leaked specs are anything to go by:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-durango-kinect-specs-leak
So even though body motion is less latency dependent than head-tracking, it would still be way too high.

Chobel

While I think that AR is only for stupid gimmicky motion detection gaming and wouldn't add anything to hardcore gaming, the casuals usually love these stuff, just see what Wii did. MS are banking on the idea that AR will be the next huge thing that attracts casuals.

You have no idea that you are talking, both Rift DK2 and Morpheus are using external cameras, and they will continue to use them with consumer models.

With internal sensors you can only get accurate measurements for six axis of ROTATION, which is good if your head in the game space is fixed and cant be moved anywhere. Inertial sensors are widely inaccurate. They build up drift like mad, and for VR tracking needs to be PERFECT.
Just to pick a nit, there are three degrees of rotational freedom — yaw, pitch, and roll — which are measured by the gyros. There are also three degrees of translational freedom — movement along the x, y, and z planes — which are measured by accelerometers. I'm pretty sure DK1 had both, but the accelerometers were ignored by most devs for several reasons, not the least of which being, inverse kinematics is hard to do accurately.

Back on topic, I doubt 30 Hz is often enough to get error correction from the camera, as I suspect there's a reason Sony bumped their camera from 60 Hz to 120 Hz. Maybe the latency and accuracy tolerances are more forgiving with AR vs. VR though. It'd be pretty funny if MS needed to ship a second camera to track Forteleza. :p

charsace

MS has been going after these patents for like 3 years I think. I remember reading something a few years ago where they acquired some VR patents. They've been working to combine AR and VR for a while I thought.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How many Gaffers would be pro AR if it was what Sony was developing and MS was going the VR route?

Myself - I'm pumped for both.

Sony is researching both. They had a presentation a year go showing a vita being used to map objects onto the real world.

Josman

Like with Kinect, I can't se AR gaming bringing anything worth noting outside of gimmicks, like HUDs on the glasses and 3DS-like demos.

This is unlikely considering MS's history. They are not an innovator company. They only start developing something when they see someone else doing it and realize they need to be there too.

You know, i use to believe that microsoft was always late to the party also, but if you really look at it, their issue in many cases is being early to the party and leaving before anybody gets there....

They create innovative products, stagnate, fail to react to competition, and take too long to respond to competition.

The two most obvious markets in the last 8 years roughly being smartphones and tablets.

That's not to say they aren't late to the party sometimes, all companies are.

Top Bottom