• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft "Little Big Planet is very cool"

BenjaminBirdie said:
Who needs surprises when you have a game that's actually coming out before when the beaches are still open? Sony had the best show, without a doubt, but in terms of prolonging momentum, MS showed that the time betwixt now and August (a time in which we still will have seen no public arrival of anything Sony showed) is well taken care of with both really good first party software (Forza and Blue Dragon) and possibly the best game of the year, and without a doubt a AAA title:

MASS. EFFECT.

You need no surprises when an art team has designed armor that sick.

mass effect looks great, there are lots of games that look great this year though...and I dont think ms has many surprises to reveal to be honest, the have already revealed a lot of big games...theyve done a good job on that side...sony has held back alot though...too much

MS really showed nothing much at GDC, but they didnt really need to, their hand is already pretty clear

peace

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ike said:
Well to be fair, after Kung-Fu Chaos, would you be interested in the studios next game?

Anyone who checked out who works in Ninja Theory and the access they have to SCE's 1st party technology (Deano publicly stated that they are basically treated like just another first party studio).

I still think MS should have pulled a few surprises out of the bag. They do have an awesome line up for this year, I'm not disagreeing with that, but if they would have come out with a few new games it would draw more attention to them. Now I'm more hyped for the PS3, simply because they showed some new stuff.

DCharlie

Banned
Well to be fair, after Kung-Fu Chaos, would you be interested in the studios next game?

well, i assume a few people - in a previous thread , i believe some people called them one of the best developers in the world - as KFC is their only game to date, i'm guessing the game had a ton of surprisingly sonyleaning closet fans.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Cuth said:
Clueless for choosing Epic and BioWare instead of Ninja Theory and Factor 5?

No, my view comes from hindsight. Even then, they picked right. Nobody knows what a game is going to do until it hits retail and reviews. So no, Microsoft's view was correct. Gears will hit 5 million in its lifetime and Mass Effect will likely be top 3 game this year and destroy NPD the month it comes out. Shane and Robbie did right with this decision. Stopped making bullshit games and started swinging for the fences with their first party efforts.

I would have taken Factor 5 just for graphical purposes though. They have Rare though, Banjo will amaze, just watch. Hate on their game, can't hate on their technical proficiency.
Ninja Theory? Heavenly Sword has to prove to be good first. It looks nice though. It's going in direct competition to Sony's best IP IMHO and that is God of War and copying it to an extent. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing yet.

Haunted

but I think they're pushing in a different direction and we've sort of fundamentally got two different approaches going on here."

"I think there is very much a vision that people see it and it looks cool but it's fundamentally separate from the games – or at least what they've shown so far. It's a cool world but it's like a little game by itself. Our approach is the other way around; it's that games are the center and that's the star of the show, that's what people buy the console for."
I like the sound of that.

Agent Icebeezy said:
No, my view comes from hindsight. Even then, they picked right. Nobody knows what a game is going to do until it hits retail and reviews. So no, Microsoft's view was correct. Gears will hit 5 million in its lifetime and Mass Effect will likely be top 3 game this year and destroy NPD the month it comes out. Shane and Robbie did right with this decision. Stopped making bullshit games and started swinging for the fences with their first party efforts.

I would have taken Factor 5 just for graphical purposes though. They have Rare though, Banjo will amaze, just watch. Hate on their game, can't hate on their technical proficiency.
Ninja Theory? Heavenly Sword has to prove to be good first. It looks nice though. It's going in direct competition to Sony's best IP IMHO and that is God of War and copying it to an extent. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing yet.

what? Im sure people didnt choose this or that....epic and bioware, where in MS's pocket last gen cosole wise...there was no gain involved...Factor 5 and Ninja theory, didnt make games on ps2. HS looks nice but BK will look amazing....no doubt it will look good, but the CG vid didnt look amazing though

Anyway, you seem to turn almost everything MS does to positive spin, good job!

peace

BTW, calling Ninja theory one of the best devs??? They need to release HS before they prove themselves.

Cuth

Agent Icebeezy said:
I think Microsoft got burned enough the previous gen, when they've gone after several small developers with some good ideas (Blinx, Voodoo Vince... maybe even Azurik and the others had some good ideas on paper) and obtained not-so-good games and sales.

Now they seem more interested in safe bets, looking for developers who have already proven their value.

Neomoto

For the ones that care; here is what Beth Llewelyn from Nintendo had to say about LittleBigPlanet:

“(On Sony’s LittleBigPlanet) It’s very interesting, it looks like it could be a very fun product. It seemed to have elements that Nintendo has done, it was very cute.” - Beth Llewelyn Nintendo of America’s Director of PR

Agent Icebeezy

nelsonroyale said:

If you paid attention to the progression of the conversation, he quoted my post also references Factor 5 and Ninja Theory. That's why I replied w/ them in my post.

nelsonroyale said:
BTW, calling Ninja theory one of the best devs??? They need to release HS before they prove themselves.

Agent Icebeezy said:

You obviously didn't pay attention to a damn thing I said. Rare has a long history of pushing consoles graphically. Rare has always been great at graphics. It doesn't matter if a CG looks good, haven't you Sony fans learn about CG biting you in the ass? PEACE

Agent Icebeezy

Cuth said:
I think Microsoft got burned enough the previous gen, when they've gone after several small developers with some good ideas (Blinx, Voodoo Vince... maybe even Azurik and the others had some good ideas on paper) and obtained not-so-good games and sales.

Now they seem more interested in safe bets, looking for developers who have already proven their value.

Since Shane Kim has started running Microsoft Game Studios, their outlook changed. The 360 presents the best platform for third parties as a result. Just going from this board, seemingly people that favor Sony's console hate multiplatform releases, and they have a history of faltering on Nintendo consoles. Well, in comparison to the sales of Nintendo games. Look at how many 3rd party games Xbox 360 owners have made million sellers. Microsoft's game output has slowed because they want blockbusters instead of just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. Every game that comes out will receive an absurd amount of promotion. Bioware said that they will receive similar levels to Gears as far as advertising. Forza has the television show. Only God knows what the hell will happen with Halo 3 comes this year. Blue Dragon should get a lot as well.

Agent Icebeezy said:
If you paid attention to the progression of the conversation, he quoted my post also references Factor 5 and Ninja Theory. That's why I replied w/ them in my post.

You obviously didn't pay attention to a damn thing I said. Rare has a long history of pushing consoles graphically. Rare has always been great at graphics. It doesn't matter if a CG looks good, haven't you Sony fans learn about CG biting you in the ass? PEACE

hahah, never even paid attention to the cg shit....well rare games look goo enough, though great? Viva pinata does to some extent, the others not so much? The art really hurts them, really.

Anyway, have fun with the viral vitriol

peace

cedric69

Moz La Punk said:
I still think MS should have pulled a few surprises out of the bag. They do have an awesome line up for this year, I'm not disagreeing with that, but if they would have come out with a few new games it would draw more attention to them. Now I'm more hyped for the PS3, simply because they showed some new stuff.
Do you need that when everybody already knows this Fall you're getting Halo 3?

Haunted

m0dus said:
That's pretty silly. LBP is a GAME for a console. XNA is a coding suite for the computer, one that lets you DESIGN your core gameplay mechanics, assets, physics system, presentation, and game engine. "Accessibility" has nothingto do with it (though it is incredibly accessible). One is a blank canvas (XNA), and the other is a 'paint by numbers' (LBP).

They are not even remotely comparable.
Shut up! I'll wait for my Last Alarm shmup made with the Little Big Planet editor, thankyouverymuch.

Wollan said:
It will be a fun game those two weeks.

Top WW Xbox LIVE Titles on Xbox 360 to date:

1 Halo 2
2 Gears of War
3 Hexic HD
4 Call of Duty 2
5 Ghost Recon 3
6 Call Of Duty 3
7 Oblivion
8 PGR3
9 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Vegas
10 Perfect Dark Zero

So, you mean "two weeks" in the Grant Morrison, Hypertime, a second is like a grain of sand on the beach, time is a false human construct sense, right?

bud

Agent Icebeezy said:

How is HS going in direct competition with GoW?

Agent Icebeezy

bud said:
How is HS going in direct competition with GoW?

Same genre. Gameplay looks reminiscent of God of War. Comparisons between the two are inevitable and the timeframe between the two are close. Microsoft will learn this same lesson I presume when Shadowrun comes out when Halo 3 is a few months down the road. Both Shadowrun and Heavenly Sword might be great in their own right, GoW2 and Halo 3 take a bit of steam out of their potential sales. Consumer money is a finite entity. My stance was primarily on sales.

bud

Agent Icebeezy said:
Same genre. Gameplay looks reminiscent of God of War. Comparisons between the two are inevitable and the timeframe between the two are close. Microsoft will learn this same lesson I presume when Shadowrun comes out when Halo 3 is a few months down the road. Both Shadowrun and Heavenly Sword might be great in their own right, GoW2 and Halo 3 take a bit of steam out of their potential sales. Consumer money is a finite entity. My stance was primarily on sales.

But GoW2 is out in a couple of days while HS won't come for another couple of months. Besides, they're on two different systems. I can understand the SR and H3 comparison but these games are released on the same system while HS and GoW2 are not.

Also, HS is a killer-app (no games lol) while SR is not

szaromir

Banned
bud said:
Also, HS is a killer-app (no games lol) while SR is not
Did you play them?

How Halo 3 can affect Shadowrun sales or GoW2 Heavenly Sword sales is beyond me. Release date difference is in both cases bigger than a month and it's not like FPS fans won't buy Shadowrun because there'll be Halo 3 in six months or GoW fans won't buy Heavenly Sword because they can play once more their GoW on their old PS2.

J-Rzez

Neomoto said:
For the ones that care; here is what Beth Llewelyn from Nintendo had to say about LittleBigPlanet:

I would love to know these elements... Incredible HD mindblowing graphics? Perhaps the crazy physics? Maybe the uploading and downloading user-created content? Or cute characters... It's a shame people are trying to calm the storm of hype this game is getting...

There's elements that were in other Ninty games... What's that? Cute characters and nice colors? Maybe that it's fun? Must be, nobody else makes fun games outside of Ninty...

having the 360 and the PS3 in competition is one of healthyest things for this gen.

they are forced to out think and outperform one anther leading the great competition that delivers more content for us.

I just wish the Nintendo would be more involved with their Online strategy, Nintendo better evolve their Online philosophy

Draft

Forsete said:
Pot kettle black etc.
Find the post where I troll LBP.

edit: in fact please find any trolls because I am ON NOTICE and can't seem to cough w/o getting banned for 3 days.

NinSoX

Banned
Draft said:
Find the post where I troll LBP.

edit: in fact please find any trolls because I am ON NOTICE and can't seem to cough w/o getting banned for 3 days.

He can't. He's just assuming you're pro Xbox because of your avatar probably :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
So, you mean "two weeks" in the Grant Morrison, Hypertime, a second is like a grain of sand on the beach, time is a false human construct sense, right?

Maybe he's talking about all of the 360 multiplayer games that are only hot for a couple weeks and then nobody plays them anymore.

Even then one wonders why PGR3 and Perfect Dark Zero are still up there.

EDIT: Oh wow Call of Duty 2 is still up there :lol . Dunno why Oblivion and Hexic are there but whatever.

PleoMax

Banned
Dude, there's not once soul on earth that could look at that presentation video of LBP and not fall in love with the damm game.

The game is just tits.

RavenFox

Banned
“(On Sony’s LittleBigPlanet) It’s very interesting, it looks like it could be a very fun product. It seemed to have elements that Nintendo has done, it was very cute.” - Beth Llewelyn Nintendo of America’s Director of PR

Well said Nintendo. [big roll eyes]

szaromir said:
Did you play them?

How Halo 3 can affect Shadowrun sales or GoW2 Heavenly Sword sales is beyond me. Release date difference is in both cases bigger than a month and it's not like FPS fans won't buy Shadowrun because there'll be Halo 3 in six months or GoW fans won't buy Heavenly Sword because they can play once more their GoW on their old PS2.

As far as Shadowrun and whatnot, I think anyone with half of a brain that wants to play it as well as alot of the upcoming like hellgate London, Bioshock, and other microsoft offerings will buy them on PC.
As far as the Heavenly Sword = God Of War crap, it is always easy to tell the people who just listen to board jibberish and look at screenshots instead of trying to find out real information about a game.

Hunter D

Another_visitor said:
Why the hatred for Kung fu Chaos? It's by no means a bad game, especially considering it was the studio's first title. It's more likely that Ninja Theory would be dubious about working with MS as they did pretty much zero marketing for it.
KFC was a bad game IMO.The fighting engine was no where near as good as SSBM. The did look really good, but once I played through, I didn't bother with the multiplay and traded it in.

Edit: I find it funny that KFC has a lot of fans now. When the game was released I don't remember anyone saying it was a good game.

J-Rzez said:
I would love to know these elements... Incredible HD mindblowing graphics? Perhaps the crazy physics? Maybe the uploading and downloading user-created content? Or cute characters... It's a shame people are trying to calm the storm of hype this game is getting...

There's elements that were in other Ninty games... What's that? Cute characters and nice colors? Maybe that it's fun? Must be, nobody else makes fun games outside of Ninty...
RavenFox said:
Well said Nintendo. [big roll eyes]
OokieSpookie said:
Perhaps if they duct taped two more gamecubes into the bundle and threw in a dreamcast for luck...

Can't you guys just let it go? She's a Nintendo employee, what do you expect her to say?

gutter_trash said:
having the 360 and the PS3 in competition is one of healthyest things for this gen.

they are forced to out think and outperform one anther leading the great competition that delivers more content for us.

That's funny, because from these seats it just looks like they are trying to rape the consumer before the other one can.

Top Bottom